Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Gardenator posted:

There's a kickstarter for mistborn coins, cheapest is $14 for one coin. However, if you are space rich you can get 37 coins (one of which will have been sent to the stratosphere for some reason) for only $350.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shirepostmint/mistborn-coins?ref=5urvn4

I love to buy things that have been Near Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BraveJoe posted:

Question theory - will the Nightwatcher and all involved with (him/her?), be explained in Oathbringer - i haven't read any of the released chapters yet. but so far we have next to nothing on the Nightwatcher.

i'd bet we get more rumors and little bits of things that'll advance fan theories but nothing conclusive

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dravs posted:

I have a hunch that it is a Spren from Cultivation. Evolving the Parshendi like that seems like it would be up her alley, and keeping them out of the hands of Odium would seem like something she would do as we know that she was close with Honour when he was still around.

I am not sure what to spoiler anymore, almost everything is just speculation at this point anyway?

I think this is a good idea. It seems like it would be a lot more mad at basically everything Kaladin has been doing teaching them stuff, and actively opposing him, if it was a creature of like literal pure Hatred.

It'd also explain why it's not the red that I think is always associated with Odium.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I believe even less that the parshmen spren is a voidspren

My money is still extremely on some kind of generally good - but rightfully suspicious of humans - cultivation spren we don't know about.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

1) It's the spren that crawls out from under Eshonai's corpse. Was she swearing her oaths before she died? Or is it somehow Eshonai herself? Venli has a voidspren in her gemheart to grant her the new stormforms, but it's apparently not a surgebinding spren, so she's still open to a bond.

It seems like it's a lightspren - which adds up from the description, and also the captain on that boat mentions his daughter went to go bond someone

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grouchy Fish posted:

So I have a question after reading Oathbringer

If humans are the voidbringers who destroyed their own world with stormlight under the influence of Odium, why is surgebinding powered by stormlight which comes from Honor's highstorms? Shouldn't surgebinding come from Odium somehow?

It seems likely "surgebinding" in that part of the book refers to any of the magic inherent to this planetary system, not just that fueled by Honor - those ancient humans were probably Voidbinders or whatever you call people doing Odium-magic

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eszett engma posted:

As I understand it the Alloy era books take place during the decade or so gap between Stormlight 5 and 6.

yeah he changed it to this so he can presumably make the crossover between the two series even more extreme come book 6

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RC Cola posted:

What does that imagine mean

Confirms that Renarin's doing some voidbinding - probably the crazy version of seeing the future we see at the end through his perspective is whatever the voidbinding version of Illumination is, since his healing powers seem very normal

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RC Cola posted:

So it's A good surge and a bad surge? Does this mean we will get 19 orders?

seems like people on 17th shard think that the (consensual?) 'corruption' of his spren by sja-anat gives him just the one bad surge, whereas a true voidspren would give him two bad ones.

it's pretty confusing right now that Glys is corrupted because he seems like a nice, friendly fellow when we hear him talk in Renarin's head, and he's definitely giving our boy the ability to happily go heal a ton of poor people. presumably this has something to do with Sja-Anat trying to turn good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OAquinas posted:

...actually, now that I think about it I need to reread to see if we ever actually see Renarin absorb/glow/use stormlight.
It's entirely possible that it was just assumed.

this definitely happens when he is fighting the thunderclast and getting splatted and healing constantly

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

re: the renarin question

Oathbringer spoilers posted:

“So … Glys?” he asked. “What do I do?”

Light. You will make it go with light.

Renarin raised his fist and summoned Stormlight. It glowed as a powerful beacon. And …

The red molten eyes faded before that light, and the thing settled down with a last extinguishing sigh.

this is actually a really weird passage because renarin doesn't really DO anything as far as we can tell, so is it some weird void-Illumination thing or did the thunderclast just die off by coincidence at the same time? Alternatively, after re-reading Shallan chapters from past books, does that ellipsis mean we missed something here?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

Jasnah is awesome, but I'm frustrated that she seems to be sandbagging, big time. Apparently she's sworn the Fourth Ideal already, or at the very least knows where shardplate comes from and how it works. She has been a Radiant longer (apparently much longer) than Kaladin, the poster child for the power of the Radiants, and seems much more powerful. She seems to know a lot about what's going on, in general, while Dalinar and Shallan are struggling to piece together facts from incomplete visions and publicly available books. As far a storytelling goes, it makes a better story to have the POV characters discover things about the world at the same pace as the reader, but c'mon Sanderson, give us some Jasnah laying down the law.

Yeah I think the Jasnah-already-has-shardplate theory is pretty convincing and would fit the trend of her being way ahead of everyone else yet not just explaining what she knows

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

So are the Fused really the souls of ancient Parshmen, or are they actually the souls of the original Voidbringers/humans?

i don't think we have any reason to believe that the Fused aren't Parshendi - it seems like it's the Unmade who are former humans. i wouldn't be surprised if you were right that they are some of his generals from the previous planet or something

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

The only real penalty we've seen is suffered by the Spren, rather than the one that actually broke the drat contract in the first place.

This seems like an omission, and Sanders isn't the sort of omit things on accident.

a broken bond is permanent and there's no way you can do magic again, that's a pretty bad consequence.

kaladin's situation was different for Plot Reasons but he would've been extremely dead many times over if he had not clawed that bond back into place by nearly killing himself. i don't think we're going to see some new 'penalties' on human bond-breakers we don't know about yet

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

EVGA Longoria posted:

She's Awesome.

this, and she's someone Cultivation has taken an extremely personal interest in giving special powers

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

So spoilers from the Wikia it says she exists partially in the Cognitive Realm (which is how she interacts with Wyndle). So the Nightmother (or Cultivation?) gave her that 'ability', and the vision probably takes place in that realm so she probably just saw it and went to go investigate? How do we even know she exists in that realm beyond being able to interact with Spren? The Wikia didn't have a direct footnote/source for that

there's no reason we know that she should be able to be in those visions, they're way different than the existing-partially-in-the-cognitive thing that Brandon has confirmed. after seeing that Dalinar flashback where Cultivation personally intervened when he saw the Nightmother, i suspect something similar happened with Lift (there's also a line from Wyndle where he mentions she's been favored or blessed by their mother)

Personally, I assume her being in the visions is the big C's personal influence in trying to figure out what Odium is doing. I'm pretty sure that was the same vision where he basically says 'Once you free me, the first thing I'll do is murder Cultivation.' Also, knowing what we do now, Lift may also have been there to see whether Odium's plan to corrupt Dalinar was actually working.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Brandon says otherwise, bit Warbreaker snd The Emperor's Soul are essentially required reading if you actually want to know what's going on in hints and innuendos instead of the big End Of Book Spoonfeeding

where's emperor soul come into things right now?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Law Cheetah posted:

i just started reading oathbringer and got to shallans first chapter and she cant even go 3 pages without starting up w/ her horse poo poo

"Brightness?" the woman asked as they walked. "Can I ask you a question?"
"As that was a question, apparently you can."
"Oh, um. Huh."
"It's fine. What do you want to know?"
"You're... a Radiant."
"That one was actually a statement, and that's making me doubt my previous assertion."

uuugh shut the gently caress up

you might like one of her other personalities though

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheMirage posted:

There is already at least one (possibly two) Scadrian on Roshar through right? Iyatil and maybe Mraize

*edit poo poo i forgot about Demoux too...

not to mention felt

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xenix posted:

That's interesting, especially because I thought Sanderson explicitly said sometime else that there is no shard in that system, just the perpendicularity on Patji.

i think the issue may be the time jump.

there's people with spaceships that everyone assumes are future-scadrialians in that short story - so it has to be at least several decades ahead of the wax/wayne books. maybe that shard leaves or gets chased away sometime between hoid writing them and sixth of dusk.

in one of those new q&as, brandon talks about one shard that likes to splinter itself and move on, which certainly would fit with autonomy

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RC Cola posted:

What do we know about autonomy?

Not a ton other than it's the Shard from White Sand, but there's stuff from Sanderson about how whole pantheons exist that are all Autonomy.

Common theory is autonomy is 'Trell' in the Wax/Wayne books, which makes a lot of sense given its representatives' trying to liberate/free people from Harmony's influence. It seems like it may be set up to be another Cosmere-level villain - though maybe it won't be a villain so much as opposed to what our heroes are doing for non-evil reasons.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

With the countdown to the Everstorm in WoR and all the talk of a storm that blows the other way, I was picturing a much more hellish landscape than what was painted in Oathbringer.

Yes, there was talk of cities being in really bad shape, but it never really felt like anyone was truly struggling because of it. We saw Kholinar which was overcrowded and hungry, and Thaylenah was pretty beat up but it didn't have the same sense of peril that Words of Radiance implied.

This was something I liked, actually. They pictured it as this immediate apocalypse, but instead it created an occupying army in their midst hellbent on creating a proper nation. The surprise is that their plans weren't immediate destruction, but rather creating a stable society that could last as long as any human civilization while it makes war on them. I get why people might not be into it but I thought the Moash/Venli chapters worked well for this reason, showing us that their enemies were nothing like they expected and in it for the long run.

So yeah, the struggle wasn't nearly as bad in this book, but I think it sets up the future larger conflict much better than if they burned too hard too fast.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

Spren have hilariously plot convenient memory. The don't remember useful information until you've already done it This is by design. The whole purpose behind the spren not remembering poo poo until you've already figured it out and locking power ups behind specific oaths is slow down the Radiants' progession and hopefully stop them from accidentally nuking this planet like they did the last one

Another very plot convenient thing is Jasnah just refusing to tell everyone what she knows. Not only has she been sitting on the recreance/voidbringer thing for a while, there's a pretty good chance she's concealing the fact that she has shardplate for some reason, while everyone else is totally confused as to how it works other than it's gated behind a higher oath somehow.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Habibi posted:

To each their own when it comes to matters of humor, but I find this such an alien perspective. Shallan isn't witty. She is particularly not witty when she's trying to be witty. At times, it's almost hard to believe that Shallan isn't being intentionally written as an inept comedic try-hard - Sanderson has, after all, written a few legitimately funny / clever / witty characters, so the capacity is there to not paint someone intended to be funny as a pretentiously bludgeoning joke factory - except that who would want to read about, let alone from the POV of, that?

They couldn't be any more explicit that the 'academic who tries to be clever' persona is as much a charade as the rest of them, just created first out of crippling insecurity that someone so broken could be a successful lighteyed woman. If you finished that book and think Shallan-trying-to-be-witty is in any way her authentic self I don't know what to tell you.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Speaking of Bondsmiths are we to assume the other two bond with some sort of spren version of Cultivation and Odium.

One is almost definitely the Nightwatcher and the other is probably the still mysterious 'Sibling' that maybe was the thing that lived in and powered Urithuru. It's probably safe to say that neither are related to Odium, because the whole system of bonding spren pretty much emerged in opposition to him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mewse posted:

Nightwatcher = cultivation?

It seems like Stormfather is to Honor (before he died) as Nightwatcher is to Cultivation.

Nowadays the SF is a lot more powerful because he absorbed a lot of Honor's poo poo, and we don't really know what the NW would be like if someone bonded her. She's obviously very strong but it's a whole different can of worms since her entire thing is monkey's paw wish-with-a-Price kind of deals.

Edit: like, in that flashback where Dalinar meets her she's a loving terrifying spirit that's hard to imagine being a helpful companion, .

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 12, 2017

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Leng posted:

Skybreakers seem different to other orders in regards to Shardblade access and there is a WoB that says there different orders receive Shardblades at different levels.

Remember Helaran professed to be a Skybreaker and after OB I think he was still a hopeful, not a squire, since he didn't use any surges and apparently a dead blade (since the Skybreakers were the only order to not break their oaths) that Amaram took. I think it was a dead blade because live sprenblades survive the death of their Radiant and presumably return to Shadesmar if the Radiant kept their oaths. And so Szeth may not have a sprenblade until he completed the Fourth Ideal of Crusade. I suppose shardplate must come with the Fifth Ideal since Nale is the only one who has mastered that.

I think you're right about Skybreakers being different as a whole - they're the only other 'high' spren akin to honor, but seem to be even weirder. We may not be getting any info on what kind of strange arrangement they have with their spren because it'd give away too much future plot. I mean, not only did they keep it alive in secret for centuries after the genocide of all other radiant spren, but they've actively collaborated in hunting down and murdering every potential radiant they could find for that period.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyways, for more interesting Adolin stuff.

It's clear that he's going to ressurect his sword Maya and become an Edgedancer right?

The sword told him his name and he was able to summon it in seven heartbeats instead of ten. That's a clear indication that she's starting to heal.

He remembers those left behind from that little boy in the battle with the Thunderclast, to the prostitute he defends in Sadeas camp in The Way of Kings.

The biggest twist I can imagine is that Maya does her own thing when revived, but he attracts the notice/bonds some other spren in the process of doing such a good deed. You're totally right that he's almost conspicuously doing Edgedancer things, since if his brother hadn't shown up he'dve definitely died saving that kid.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

it's WoB, unless i'm remembering really really wrong.

it's supposed to be a really loving hard thing to do, bordering on impossible.

Maybe I'm not searching the right terms but the closest I could find was him saying "According to the understanding of those in-world it would require the same person who broke their oath" to say the vows again (and similar things that stress that as far as our characters understand this is impossible). But not the bit about needing to say the literal same vows or anything too definite about how it has to work.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

What I'm curious to see is what happens if Adolin manages to revive Maya, especially if he does so before having spoken a high enough Ideal to get a Blade.

lol I'd like to see Adolin suddenly get surgebinding at a climactic moment but also his blade instantly disappearing because he's not high enough level.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hmmm does this have any significance to Dalinar slowly losing his memory block

Depends on whether Lift's thing was due to the intervention of Cultivation, rather than just the Nightwatcher. Dalinar's fading block was definitely her plan, so maybe Lift's aging is the same way.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Yeroc2 posted:

That's probably the Nightwatcher like Syl calls the Stormfather her father.

Yeah, it's unclear how much of a direct hand Cultivation had in Lift's deal, but her powers are unique and seem way different than the other gift/curses the nightwatcher usually hands out

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OAquinas posted:

It's probably his way of avoiding having to write for Superman. Supes is great, but he's basically a god; you have to try hard narratively to get him at a disadvantage, and even that is usually because he doesn't feel like punching people into orbit.

Plus, limited powersets invite creative uses and specialization. Jasnah can't fly, but goddamn can she soulcast. Shallan can barely soulcast, but she can make holograms like crazy. And in-universe for these it makes sense, since Surgebinding (or a close analogue) destroyed Ashyn--Honor and Cultivation probably slapped the limits down to prevent a repeat (or just make it really hard to do).

Also, these books are going to be going for most of the rest of our natural lives, so you can't have end-of-wheel-of-time power levels yet or you've written yourself into a corner.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Frabba posted:

Mistborn stuff
There's certainly precedent for this, isn't it established that Harmony did similar upon ascension, making changes to the nature of Allomancy/Ferchemy that have made it so there are no more full Mistborn, and similarly preventing a recurrence of a "Lord Ruler" powerset?

Yeah , Lerasium doesn't exist anymore (outside of the bead Hoid prolly still has), and Harmony's new metal is something that enables technological advances but can't actually be ingested because it's too reactive.

I think 'Honor purposefully limited surgebinding' is basically canon now, and it wouldn't be too big a surprise if we find out that the Dawnshards are something that allows use of all of the Ashyn version of the surges, making them basically magic WMDs.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

The first bit I got, but where did the second bit get pointed out? Was it a WoB I missed somewhere? It makes sense, and something like that has been hinted at I just haven't seen it said.

Yeah, it's 'ettmetal,' the stuff that the Southern Scadrians use for their fuel and that cube that created a burst of power - see https://coppermind.net/wiki/Ettmetal or you can search WoBs for 'Harmonium' to see a bunch confirming it.

I was thinking it was also how they made their tech for heat medallions and other usable-by-all things but apparently that's something else.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't remember the exact words, but I do remember which scene: it's when Wax and Steris are at the party in Bands of Mourning. This weird chick comes over and starts grilling Wax about his powers.

Just a couple chapters before they all have to flee the city because it looks like Wax murdered the hostess.

Yeah, that chick is Khriss, author of the Ars Arcanum in the back of each book and the most important in-world researcher of powers. She's also published some very weird things in some of the broadsheets in that book ("Do your metal tools speak to you? We want to hear about it!")

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Decius posted:

Without a splitter? Wouldn't he be more on a level with the Stormfather? Somewhat like a demi-god?

he just has to do some killing before he starts picking up actual Shards

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

well there's also
well gently caress we accidentally lobotomized millions of people, I mean they were the enemy sure but what happens if its our guys next time, and Honor seems to be going pretty loving nuts too, so since all the desolations are over let's quit before we lobotomize all the humans too, or screw with the weather and turn babies into gold

And the skybreakers just said 'gently caress that' to the recreance

i'm with you here, i think the "idea" Melishi has combined with the strike on Bo-ado-mishram accidentally lobotomizing an entire race is the big thing we can piece together that the characters really don't understand yet, hence their kind of unconcerned reaction to the news.

I wonder to what extent just finding out the ramifications of that action just directly broke their vows in itself? Like if you assume Windrunners are like generally similar to Kaladin, finding out they were responsible alone might be enough to sever their powers.

And yeah lol the Skybreakers are just like "Well, this action was lawful and necessary, we don't see any problem here."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm still curious why Odium said "we" killed you, and not "I" killed you. It means we either don't know the truth about a very big event in Roshar's past... or Odium wasn't referring to Honor. Though the idea that Dalinar somehow tapped in to something like Adonalsium's power would be beyond ridiculous. OTOH, Hoid says Adonalsium to Dalinar in an earlier book just to see what (if any) reaction Dalinar had to the word. And I'm pretty sure a WoB has established Hoid having a past connection to it beyond the shattering. :shrug:

(It'smore likely that Odium used the royal 'we' or just referred to his forces in general. Otherwise it means someone else helped him destroy Honor.

my best guess is still that for a few moments dalinar as UNITY had enough of three shards' investiture to remind him of Adonalsium. especially since we don't know much about the shattering of Adonalsium but it wouldn't be too surprising if it happened because the 16 of them joined together and killed him/her/them. anyways i think brandon is pretty aggressively RAFOing all questions about that moment, why Odium said 'we', or what 'unity' is so it may be a very long time before we know more.

I guess as a backup explanation, the idea that someone else (Autonomy or a yet-unnamed Shard) might've been in on the killing of Honor isn't totally crazy, but it would have to have been a pretty covert collaboration for Cultivation and the Stormfather to not know about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Then there's what we know that could be lies, myths and misinformation.

Such as the Unmade and Cultivation.

I don't think Odium was out to pull legs with his warning about Cultivation. None of the shards so far are entirely on the side of "good times had by all", although given the choice between the two? Cultivation might be alittle less immediately lethal if you're in her sights.

on this note, we've seen Hoid directly tell us he'd let the whole world burn to satisfy his grudge against Odium. given Cultivation's 'pruning' ethos, she probably wouldn't be adverse to it either - as long as some people come out stronger in the end. I bet we're going to see some alliances between those two and some bad folks that create a lot of moral confusion.