Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I started reading Stormlight and it's a pretty fun read. The language is easy, the world is well presented, and power armor is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

apophenium posted:

Yeah, meant pages, haha. So far, Rock is the coolest character. The Kaladin chapters are getting a bit less dull to read through now, with Rock around.

There was a Dalinar chapter I read that was talking about Callings and Glories and getting Elevated which came across to me as like videogame stuff. Adolin even talked about doing "personal goals" (quests). Am I just projecting this stuff on here or is it like an intended thing? It's really strange.

The entire prologue of Way of Kings was pretty much a video game tutorial that vaguely reminded me of Devil May Cry.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Any clue what happened to Kal's parents?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What's the most advanced tech in a Sanderson book?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I've gotten to the part in the Way of Kings where Jasnah kills the muggers. I don't know why, but the whole scene seemed to be something out of a greentext story on /k/ rather than something that was supposed to be serious. I almost expecting her to start waving her Soulcaster in the local guards' faces and start shouting "AM I BEING DETAINED!?". Does Jasnah become more interesting as the story goes along because she lost a lot of mystery after she took on Shallan as her ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So I just finished Way of Kings and I thought it was pretty good.
I kind of liked how Dalinar finally got his poo poo together in the end and stopped being so indecisive. Shallan was eh, but I didn't mind the slice-of-life and teenage girl naivety sections in contrast to the other characters. Szeth's sections reminded me of a Platinum action game. And Kaladin...I think he's okay. He keeps flip flopping between despair and hope but has a massive amount of self-pride despite it all.