Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I for one am glad that Sanderson's existence means there is at least one prominent fantasist who is probably not some kinda weird sex freak.

Kruller posted:

The only sex scene in a fantasy book I've read that didn't gross me out in some way was in one of the Wheel of Time books, and the point of view wasn't even from the people doing it. It was played for comedic effect and was very brief. Contrast that with ASoIaF stuff, which is as graphic as the violence, and sometimes drawn out. Those scenes make me uncomfortable not because of the content, but because of the author. I can't help but imagine GRRM sitting there writing those scenes with a hardon, just because he LOOKS like a creep. It's why I stopped reading that series, in fact, and I understand that's my problem, not his.

ban Gurrm from women

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, I have the same reaction for most sex scenes in fantasy, all I can see in my head is a far naked guy at a computer, drooling as they type while they speak the words aloud in the stereotypical nasal nerd voice.

to be fair, that mental image gets slightly less horrifying when you're talking about a bangable dude like joe abercrombie

I always thought Jaqueline Carey was ~alright~ at sex scenes (even some moderately kinky stuff), but that kinda backfires in her case, as her books get repped and marketed as Erotica when they're mostly just pretty normal fantasy adventure.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 13, 2014