Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Enjoyed secret project and liked that the (ending spoilers and wider Cosmere speculation) Sorceress was an Elantrian who also had access to other forms of Investiture, and very high level ones in the case of her Breath capabilities, making her strong enough that even Hoid wasn't entirely sure he'd win if he had to actually fight her. Though the fact her tower was a rocket also calls into question when exactly this story is taking place. Because nobody has spaceflight or interstellar travel techonology (excluding Shadesmar usage) when Stormlight takes place so it seems like this happens well after that point in time. The way he describes some of the high tech stuff to his audience sounds like he's explaining the story to a First Contact civilization... like the people in Sixth of Dusk.

Depending on how wide-ranging Sanderson's cosm/multiverse is, consider that The Reckoners series takes place in a modern world with the possibility of supergenius as an Epic superpower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leng posted:

Sanderson has 3 universes right now: Cosmere, Reckoners, and the Cytoverse (Skyward, Skyward Flight and Defending Elysium).

At least, I'm reasonably sure the Reckoners universe is a separate universe to the Cytoverse, though an overlap isn't out of the question given the hints at Core Possibilities in the later Reckoner books.

Sure, but Megan/Firefight has the ability to travel between universes and take a few people with her. If Sanderson later decides, "gently caress it, Imma do my own Dark Tower thing" he can easily justify it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

eke out posted:

i am hoping by the time brandon is like 75 we'll get like a robot with kaladin's consciousness and wax's great granddaughter travelling to earth to kill brandon sanderson

See, you think that now, but I recommend that you refresh your memory of when Stephen King put himself as a character within the Dark Tower and ask yourself "Do I really want to read that from Brandon Sanderson?"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leng posted:

He could but imo the gimmick wouldn't be worth the contortion. His last two releases (The Lost Metal and Tress of the Emerald Sea) were pretty indulgent with the crossovers and while one part of me enjoyed that collision, another part of me disliked it.

I have a feeling that if I had read those as a reader who didn't know anything about the Cosmere I wouldn't have cared about those crossover characters. Mainly because the sole extent of my care factor being someone who is clued in while reading these last two books was "oh, this is a world hopper from [insert planet here], that's cool I guess".

Confession: I'm still barely a fourth or less into Tress and am mostly just enjoying it as its own thing. Alas for my pathetic willpower in the face of spoiler discussion. Presumably the crossover stuff is more of an Easter "Oh! I know who/what that is!" Egg than anything really vital. Which is fine by me.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

Finally getting around to Tress, and there is one Cosmere aware tidbit that bothers me - in this

“And if I’m the captain, then I’m going to go claim Crow’s bed. Don’t wake me up unless Death himself has shown up, nails in his eyes.

Which bothers me because

It implies that Marsh is somehow such a universal Death figure at this point that he's part of the folklore for a backwater girl on an entirely different planet

Quite a few cultures on our actual real Earth have myths concerning an ancient massive flood. Maybe something like that actually happened. Maybe Ancient Aliens did it (Ancient Aliens did not do it). Maybe and more likely there was some communication/cross-pollination between some of those cultures. That said, while a lot of culture had flood myths, they weren't the exact same myth. The Ancient Greek flood myth doesn't say anything about Noah or a big-rear end boat, for example.

So, while Tress's world might have a death figure with nails in its eyes, that doesn't mean that figure is specifically supposed to be Marsh. Maybe inspired by him, but not actually him.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jorenko posted:

I'm gonna agree with every sentence of this post -- except the first one. Being great at writing doesn't exclusively mean that you write flowing poetic purple prose. Brandon's great at being a utilitarian, plot-and-character-focused writer.

As other people have mentioned, it's also nice to realize that you can probably read/recommend Sanderson to kids without fear of warping their views of human sexuality or gender, unlike, say, Jim "I will now have my character spend a couple of paragraphs describing his underage female apprentice's absolutely awesomely bodacious pair of tatas that she presumably developed while growing up in the Breastriary of Boobapolis" Butcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Oasx posted:

I don't think YA is a bad thing, but I thought Tress felt a lot more like a YA novel than this one.

Tress felt like an actual children's book. Of course, so does Coraline and that (as well as the movie adaption) was still scary and disturbing as gently caress. The buttons... Yeesh.