Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Scott Lynch had a really good short story in the Swords and Dark Magic anthology called In the Stacks about a magical library. I recommend that, in fact I recommend the whole anthology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm also reading The Way of Kings again and there's also a lot of clues about Kaladin taking stormlight from spheres. And using the energy and such. His spheres losing infused light and the arrows avoiding him when he's at the front of the bridge run.

Also, we should ask what magic comes from Odium or Cultivation. And are the Parshendi the voidbringers?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Ithaqua posted:

Clues like the text explicitly saying it?

Well before he knows what's happening and they come out and say it.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I'd think that Syl was first attached to Kaladin when he turned down the Shards for honor's sake.

Syl was around before then. She was playing tricks on him before the last flashback battle. The theory is she was attracted to him because he saved scrawny and weak soldiers.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Elantris is hamstrung by Brandon's triptych plotting. Like you'll get really invested in one thread and then have to wait two chapters to get back to it.

But the novella, the Emperor's Soul, takes place on the same planet and there are things you may pick up only if you've read the original. Not that it doesn't stand alone of course.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
New words of radiance chapter

I believe this has been floating out there, but here's an official source for the Taravangian interlude chapter.

Looks like Brandon turned in the first draft. So it should be out sometime early next year.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Well, since it's only one story you could just read it in the bookstore. Or check it out at your local library.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

You mean it hasn't been published. If a producer is that interested in a property, he probably got an advance copy.

Yeah, books are announced as having movie deals before being published all the time.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

So I just finished Way of Kings in about... 4 days. After marathoning the entire Mistborn trilogy and Alloy of Law.

Ten books are planned the Stormlight Archive series? Welp, I guess I know some of the books I'll be reading in the next 20 years. At least the next one looks like it will be released in a somewhat timely fashion.

Edit: Also, is there a sequel planned for Alloy of Law?

Yes. He's got a sequel for Alloy of Law coming up called Shawdows of Self. He's also planned two sequel trilogies, one set in modern-type times, so a sort of urban fantasy, and one set in a future sci-fi type of setting.

The Stormlight is planned to be two sets of five books. He's also got a series planned as a sort of meta-narrative that may explain more about the shards and their formation but that wouldn't come out until the SA is finished.

Here's a list of what he's got coming up:

api call girl posted:

I'm still waiting for Death by Pizza.
I've got some bad news for you...

Edit: Beaten, twice... good work guys

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Superstring posted:

It has since been stolen from the library of BYU.

Apparently it's been stolen several times. They just print out a new copy.

There's a summary on Goodreads and he repurposed the second half into the Way of Kings. I believe this series is the on he shelved for Way of Kings when he got tapped for WoT because it wasn't working right for him.

And if anyone gets their hands on White Sands, I expect a trip report to be posted here immediately.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Ooh, I haven't. Is it published?

Here it is on Tor's website:
http://www.tor.com/stories/2008/12/firstborn

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Tunicate posted:

Nah, steelheart isn't cosmere.

I'm kinda assuming Calamity is a person, given that book three is 'calamity' and book two is 'firefight'... having it not be a person would break the trend.

Brandon has said that any books that take place on Earth are not cosmere. So Steelheart, Rithmatist and the Alcatraz books are all non-cosmere.

Odette posted:

So I've read Steelheart about 3 times this week. When is the next Sanderson book being released? :ohdear:

http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson/

According to Brandon's blog post his next release is a short story set in the Steelheart universe, similar to how the Emperor's Soul fit in with the Elantris world. Then Words of Radiance in March.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Yeroc2 posted:

If you're still handing this out, I'd love to get it.

I, too would like to sign up for this.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
New Words of Radiance chapter from the 17th Shard forum: Chapter 2

Straight from a reading.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Yeah, it was great. Engaging action, new answers as well as new questions. The government reminds me of Twoflower's home in the Discworld books. Obviously taken from the same real world source

If you haven't yet, read Sixth of the Dusk.. If the rest of it is like the excerpt, it will be on par with the Emperor's Soul.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Jorenko posted:

Do we know which book the Sixth is from? I haven't heard anything about that one, but it sounds like a pretty interesting setting.

All the others were pretty amazeballs, especially Lift. Can't bloody wait for WoR.

In his state of the Sanderson he mentions that it's a novella on an as of yet unrevealed shard world.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Sherringford posted:

Is Sixth of the Dusk that one story he came up with after brainstorming during one of his podcasts? If so, I can't wait to read it. I remember listening to that podcast and going "This sounds absolutely insane and I really want to read it like right now."
That's what it says in the State of the Sanderson blog post. Do you happen to know the episode. I'd be interested in hearing that.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Not a plot hole. As far as I see it:

She was already dead by the time they were told that Epics couldn't transfer powers to other Epics. Initially, and even after, they simply ascribed her inability to use the powers as a normal variance of nonpowered individuals. Also, did Tia even know that Prof was an Epic before Steelheart exploded?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Has anyone read Brandon's story in the Dangerous Women anthology? If so, how was it?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I suggest you all go to tor.com and check the posts in the reread if you haven't already. The authors as well as the commenters usually do a good job of posting all the cosmete stuff and other references.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
My local library system has Mitosis available as an eBook so you may want to check your library's website to see if they have similar programs.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
He's done it in the past with his novellas but I don't know if he does it with his novels.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Can one of you post a link. I can't seem to find it.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

api call girl posted:

For some reason I'm thinking midnight Pacific time if you're in the US store.

Word on the internet is 12:00.01 Eastern Standard Time

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Kellanved posted:

Spooooiler! -> Start of act 3

Honestly I hope Kaladin gets over it somewhat, because I don't think I can stand reading another 8.5 books of this.

He's not nearly as bad as Snape kills Dumbledore-era Harry Potter. Man I really wanted to strangle that kid. But Brandon has said that the second five-book arc would deal with a new set of characters with the main characters in these books with smaller roles. So you probably only have three more books of emo-Kal.

Act 2The first fight with Szeth was intense. Apparently stormlight heals your soul as Brandon has said that that's what Shard Blades kill.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
That excerpt was posted on Tor.com.

In any case: The guy with the white scar has shown up a few times prior to that. Most notably in the two prologues and the Ym interlude. Speculation is that he's one of the heralds, the one linked to the just attribute and has gone crazy over the thousands of years and is now doing a sort of dark justice by killing new knight radiants in order to prevent the coming desolation. Similar to the herald who is going around destroying art from Way of Kings.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Lobsterpillar posted:

At a guess, which could be completely wrong, Hoid. He gets around. Apparently also has one of (Mistborn trilogy spoiler aheadbits of metal that turn you into a mistborn, too. Mind you, he doesn't have a monopoly on inter-world travel.
Hoid spoilers: Chapter 45It seems like Hoid ingests some metal shavings while in the box with Shallan's father. Chapter 59 Hoid also mentions perfect pitch. One of the abilities from Warbreaker
Cosmere spoilers the ardent who teaches about shard blades is from another book. It's Vasher. All the color metaphors. Etc.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Mygna posted:

I'm guessing it happened during or after his final fight with Szeth. He was carrying an Honorblade, after all, so he had the ability.

That wasn't an Honorblade, though. It was just a regular dead spren Shardblade. The question now becomes why did Taln have a Shardblade and where is his Honorblade?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Generic spoilersEven if a normal shard bearer is good against the Voidbringers in the rest of the world there aren't actually that many. And the Parshmen seem to be deeply ingrained in the Rosharian society. So much that they seem to be an ever present background detail. All of then turning into StormForm would probably be very devestating.

Also they haven't started bringing Thinderclasts yet. I don't imagine giant rock men would go down easy for normal people either

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Tunicate posted:

It's been confirmed at one of the signings that nightblood eats whatever investiture the user has, including their 'spark of life', so stormlight is fine.

Following on from that, can we assume that Vasher as a Returned from Nalthis can use Stormlight in place of the breaths he has to consume each week in order to remain alive?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Tunicate posted:

SA 3 is apparently planned for late next year. Alloy of Law 2 is getting bumped back. The new order is rithmatist 2, SA 3, Alloy 2.

You forgot Steelheart 2 which is the current novel that's being finished. And any short stories he tosses off on a long plane ride.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

api call girl posted:

Imagine I said "every other time".

Going from Way of Kings it seems like the original set of Desolations occurred every 1000 years. Plus I imagine there was some issue where the torture being spread out over ten Heralds rather than concentrated on one may have also played into it.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Jasnah spoilerThere's a couple of ways she could have done it. Either Stormlight healing or she Soulcast a Jasnah meat puppet.

quote:

Rock stuff
Rock spoilersWhen Rock is talking about the hot springs at the top of his mountains in the bar scene. It seems like they are the shard pools underneath the lake. Sort of like a layered drink. Now Rock's abilities may be from spending time in/near the shard pools/hot springs.

quote:

Lift stuff
Lift spoilerApparently she will be a main viewpoint character in the second set of five books.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm impressed. Some people feel that the prologue is a little too video game/d&d instruction manual. Honestly,
It does get into the mechanics a little too much and is a little dry.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
To that guy who read WoR without reading WoK, you may want to go and read most of the interludes as those are, for the most part, not reiterated in WoR. Though I would recommend you read it all.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Krypsis posted:

Were there any characters in SA that were from the Elantris/Emperor's Soul shard.

Worldhopping spoilers.Hoid, of course, is a beggar/smuggler in Elantris according to the Coppermind wiki, and he's the Imperial Fool who double-crosses Shai. And Galladon is in the Way of Kings, obliquely in the Purelake interlude along with Demoux from Mistborn and a character from the as yet unreleased White Sands. Speaking of, there are white sands in the Ghostbloods hideout prompting speculation that Mraize or others are worldhoppers.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Habibi posted:

And again, there wasn't a better way to do that than to just out of nowhere revive someone whose death was well-earned and at least somewhat impactful? I dunno. And, because I've quoted enough, I find it interesting that one poster explained that Szeth wasn't "quite dead," while another claimed that he needed to be dead for plot purposes because that was the only way to unbond his Honorblade and Oathstone. :)

I'm fairly certain the Oathstone is not a magical artifact. And that the only thing keeping him from disobeying the holder of said stone is his "honor". And so he killed all those people on his own, and so, I imagine Szeth dealing with that will be his arc going forward.

Also Word of Brandon(sorry) Honorblades do not require a bond.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm pretty sure Shallan soulcast that pitcher into blood without going into Shadesmar and everytime Jasnah soulcast something in view of Shallan during Way of Kings she didn't disappear into Shadesmar or whatever.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I think it's assumed based on Honor's comments during Dalinar's last vision in Way of Kings. Honor says that Cultivation was always better at seeing the future than he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Rumda posted:

Well the problem with those specific names is they ARE all noble vorin names.

It's even mentioned several times that Kaladin has a name that more closely matches the names that lighteyes have.