Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So I've been burning through Mistborn the last few days and today I had the misfortune of having to move a giant loving chest freezer. I totally spent a good half hour trying to work out how I would move it with allomancy (aside from pewter obviously, mainly the push/pull stuff). :spergin: I concluded that it would not be possible.

Turns out you can move anything with :10bux: and :ese:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Sorry, I'm an idiot. Read WOT, ASOFAI, and all of Sanderson's books. Looking for others like this - I'll have to look up Erikson and Abercrombie. Any other suggestions?

You'd probably like Robin Hobb's earlier stuff. Start with Assassin's Apprentice and work your way from there. The stories in that universe are a set of 3 trilogies (and apparently she has added some more recently but I can't vouch for the quality as I haven't read them) with the middle trilogy (The Liveship Traders) being somewhat unrelated wiki. I still liked it though and would recommend reading it, but it does deviate from the fantasy setting somewhat in that it's basically fantasy with pirates that does more to develop the backstory and tell a separate (but good) story.

But if you like the first trilogy I think you'll be fine with the other two. It's pretty compatible with WoT and Mistborn as far as tones themes and tropes but it's not completely generic or derivative, at least as far as any fantasy isn't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BananaNutkins posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora is an awesome, fun fantasy novel about a group of thieves, and the main character comes from about as low prospects as possible. Too bad the sequel is the most disappointing book I read last year. And Scott Lynch is currently in some kind of Aspie / male menopausal meltdown, which he likes to post about on his blog thing.

Is that the dude acting like Gurm but actually being up front ab out having crippling depression writer's block? (for which I would completely excuse Gurm)

I keep hearing that series mentioned, but I haven't tried it yet. I won't bother if it's going to be Gurmed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

America always gets poo poo cover art for scifi/fantasy. I think there might be a significant number of readers who actually just walk into a store and grab whatever had the most garish dorky cover and the publishers are doing it because of that.

The rest of us have to hide in dark corners when we read lest regular people see the abominable crap it looks like we're reading. Thank gently caress for ebooks!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Neep posted:

Finally finished the Mistborn trilogy after racing through the first one. The second two never grabbed me as hard, mainly because I just didn't like the gods aspect of the story.

Though, I did like how everything fit together at the end (Vin's earring) plus the final appreciation of the Lord Ruler.

Chekhov's earring. I kept waiting and waiting to see what the significance would be since book one. But he finally delivered.

quote:

Sanderson really gets off on systematizing magic (boy loves his magic cards) but I do appreciate the twists in story. I really want more Stormlight Archives. I just hope he doesn't get too ambitious and starts so many stories without finishing older ones.

I'm reading Elantris right after having burned through Mistborn pretty quickly. A lot of the same elements are apparent. A lot of very similar characters with very similar styles. Not really a problem, but I think I need a break from Sanderson after this one to clear the palate.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

arioch posted:

Although I think the Mistborn trilogy would only be ruined when it gets tied into the Shard-verse proper (and the sequel trilogies). So I'm eager to find out how he's going to prove me wrong.

Shard-verse?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

subx posted:

All of his books (minus WoT obviously) are supposedly in one "Universe" or something.

Apparently an old god got split into shards and give people powers in different ways on different worlds. He hasn't done much other than mention it thus far though.

Oh, ok.

Having read Mistborn and Elantris of his so far I can't say I saw anything similar about them outside them being obviously written by the same person.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

var1ety posted:

Does it count if Vin had the chance to meet him in the third book, but chose not to? Sanderson mentioned this in one of his chapter postmortems.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/annotation/290/Mistborn-3-Chapter-Twenty-Seven

Wow, I didn't know he posted a bunch of supplemental stuff on his website. I think he's becoming my favorite author.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ender's Game is probably a hard sell as a movie despite it being so widely read. You are, after all, talking about making a movie that features very young children killing eachother then wiping out an entire race with humanity as the aggressor.

But you're right. An option isn't even a sale of the rights. I don't see Mistborn being put into development any time soon unless The Hobbit kickstarts another fantasy craze like LOTR did and studios go nuts trying to cash in on absolutely anything they can get their hands on ie how The Golden Compass somehow got made.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, there isn't a Sanderson thread and a lot of us are just getting into his stuff. I'm like 10% through Stormlight 1, but I'd like a place to talk about Mistborn too. I think I've posted more about Sanderson in The Bad Thread than this one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cartoon Man posted:

He tweeted that he might start working on making all the annotations into ebook format.

:hellyeah:

How awesome is Brandon Sanderson? :swoon:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And the books by Sanderson are WoT worship so you're not getting anything drastically different anyway.

If you don't like WoT by book 5 I don't think it's worth bothering.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dickeye posted:

It hurts really badly.

Sanderson mentions not wanting to put a fight right in the beginning of Mistborn because he'd have to explain Allomancy and it would drag the story down, and he's right. The audiobook version of WoK is utterly painful for exactly that reason. After that I'd imagine it gets better but my god have fun getting through the prologue.

I'm almost 20% through and it still feels like prologue and world building.

I know it's supposed to be a huge series but ugh. I can deal with that sort of thing, but I expected more fast paced stuff from Sanderson. Characters I had just begun to care about have utterly disappeared to be replaced by ones I just don't like or care about at all.

I know I'm not very far in yet but this is proving to be a slog that none of his other books have been.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Reading, I can't do long fiction as audiobooks.

What really kills me is that he was building up those two characters and then boom they're gone here's some boring princes in HALO suits hunting that big bug from Starship Troopers. I'm sure it gets better, I just wasn't expecting this.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Some of us only started 1 year ago :smug:

You read all 13 books or whatever in a year?

Holy poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Haraksha posted:

I just don't find Vin to be very interesting. I want to know more about Marsh and Sazed.

Everyone gets a lot cooler in the last book.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thoguh posted:

Regarding the end of the The Hero of Ages

A big plot point is that Eland and his army use up all the Atium, depriving Ruin of the ability to gain back his power. However, barely a chapter later Sazed uses the combined power of Ruin and Preservation to remake the world, and the impression I got was that he required the power of both to do so. Am I missing something? Did he only use Preservation?

Atium was Ruin's body, or something like that. He had plenty of influence over the world but he couldn't directly touch it unless he got his body back. At least that's how I remember it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I wish he would stop bringing up the mormon thing though, it makes me remember I should hate him. But I don't, because he's awesome.

Internal conflict :smithicide:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cartoon Man posted:

Gentlemen,

Prepare for Steampunk Mistborn...

:stare:

I want this right loving now.

Look at that cover. Just look at that. Goggles and coachguns and vests and is that a giant steam train oh god :flashfap:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joe Abercrombie looks like a regular dude. If that's what you're looking for in fantasy authors.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

arioch posted:

Does he seriously think he's a Matrix character?

This may not be very far off the mark actually.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It really doesn't sound like he views it as work. And that's awesome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dramatika posted:

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/972/Suvudu-Cage-Match-Vin-vs.-Zeddicus-Zul-Zorander

Apparently in the fantasy character cage match, Vin is up against Zedd of Sword of Truth fame. Brandon wrote how he thought the match would end up, and also reminded me why he's probably my favorite author at the moment. Nice jab at Goodkind. I'm not gonna spoil it, but it's AWESOME.

I think... I think I would go gay for Brandon Sanderson. Fortunately he's not down with that, so instead I will just buy poo poo from him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Other than Kelsier I mean Kaladin being just a little too capable of rallying no matter how many times he's beaten down, I loved every last word.

I just remembered why Kaladin seemed so drat familiar.

Kaladim is the dwarf city in Everquest 1. I killed so many loving dwarfs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

subx posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even think of that. I played way to much Everquest, but didn't spend much time in Kaladim (wasn't that on the continent no one went too?).

Yeah but that meant that it was usually deserted. I was best buds with a necromancer as a mage (anyone who knows the game will understand) so we could just sit around the dwarf city and murder the guards for decent exp and good money off their weapons.

e: derail? I would bet money Sanderson played EQ too so probably not.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cytokinesis posted:

The best part of it was that before he posted that Zedd was winning the poll by a fair amount; but the day it was posted Vin shot ahead by well over a thousand votes.

Mostly nobody even knows it's happening until one of the authors says something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah that's a pretty cool cover aside from the mistborn being an anime for some reason.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is that an anime thing? I thought that was just awesome and I don't watch anime at all.

Being awesome and being anime are mutually exclusive, so no.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sarcasm? (serious question)

No, I just hate all anime.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Streebs posted:

Maybe the Hoid we see in Way of Kings isn't the same Hoid we see in the other books. In Way of Kings he did say he stole the name.

I'm pretty sure Sanderson has said it's the same guy/world.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Velius posted:

Given that his worlds have completely distinct deities/magic systems, they're clearly not the same world. What I've heard is (and I guess this is spoilerish for the end of Mistborn, they're all part of the same multiverse setting. Presevation, Desecration, Ruin, and so on all seem like potential members of a larger pantheon that got scattered and divided amongst different universes.

I haven't read Warbreaker yet, but the others are relatively small settings that could just be isolated continents/time periods on the same world.

The deities and magic systems don't seem mutually exclusive at this point.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

senae posted:

Warbreaker and Elantris are the only two that could possibly overlap. Mistborn has the entire world covered in ash for 1000 years, with the entire population living on a single continent, and Stormlight has giant storms that ravage half the world, with robust trade towards the other half.

It's not exactly inconceivable that a continent wouldn't know the the others existed and might think the entire world revolved around their own little part of it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah I'm sure the ancient Chinese had a different word for earth than the Romans too...

I think we may just all have to agree to disagree; you guys are dead set against the idea that they're the same world, but your arguments aren't at all convincing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Alright alright, I hadn't read whatever interviews.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I know BYU is mormon and therefore backwards as all gently caress but how on earth did they not have an electronic copy? Sanderson isn't that old, he would have graduated in like the mid-late 90s.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The point was more that they could reprint and bind it in approximately 2 minutes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yes and no. Sanderson's writing gets better with each book, but WoK is very heavy on the world building because it's meant to kick off a pretty long series.

You'd also be waiting quite awhile for the next installment as he's working on the final WoT book right now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kalas posted:

Six books down the road, we will discover that every single little side detail in those flashbacks had hidden long term meaning. It will be awesome.

That's probably true but they were a hell of a slog. WoK is almost all setup and worldbuilding and while I'm down with that I can see it turning a lot of people off.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

WoT paperbacks should come with a roll of duct tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm about to study abroad in Europe for a month, and the trip involves a bunch times where I'll be sitting around for a few hours, such as the plane ride over and bus rides between cities. Should I go ahead and download (kindle user) the Mistborn books? I already blew through WoK earlier in the year and really enjoyed it.

WoK was pretty weak (for Sanderson) standing on its own so yeah go ahead and get everything else.