Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've finished the first two books of the Mistborn. In the last few years one of the only series to have me sit down and finish them in a matter of days. After that is over where should I go next with Sanderson?

I will definitely be picking this up also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

BananaNutkins posted:

Mistborn 1 and 2 were my favorites, but Mistborn 3 was a little ridiculous. I hated the "numbers" plot, the completely irrelevant side plot with Spook, and all the "clever" twists of the magic system to serve plot purposes. By book 3, Vin's character arc is basically over and Brandon had no idea what he was supposed to be doing with her, so we got Elend gaining powers, which was a very weak character arc compared to his earlier one about becoming a good leader.

I'm about 100 pages into the third book. So far I've been kinda eh about it. The other two books I flew through, this one I'm not really up for reading.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Lzn64 posted:

Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author and poo poo like that is the reason why. It's not just that he writes good books. He's just a cool dude. :3:

It's a shame he hasn't done any events anywhere near here since I discovered this fact. I'd love to go to a signing of his or something.

I love the little quip about Wizardy's First Rule instead of Wizard's First Rule. I bet he is a really fun guy to hang out with too.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Where the hell does he get all of this time? He truly astonishes me with the amount and quality that he doing. Hopefully he doesn't get burned out.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

BananaNutkins posted:

I cannot grok how anyone would anyone put that...thing on a list

I remember I would read that at least once a year for the longest time. Then I hit about 21 one and haven't touched it since. I think it was because I grew up in the last 10 years. Of course I haven't tried to read it in probably 4 or 5 years.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Liesmith posted:

I really don't like Heinlen at all. He's just such a skeeze. Lazarus Long is the most obvious offender but there is a dude in a bunch of his books including Stranger in a Strange Land who is basically Heinlen's self insert, is a bajillionaire and lives with a bunch of sexy women who he shares with alien visitors. Guh

That is the thing that happened to me too. Creepy bastard, though I still like Starship Troopers and Harsh Mistress.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

arioch posted:

Alloy of Law is starting out pretty excellent, and I kind of get an idea of how the Victorian-era progression and setting is, so I think there's stuff he could do. Dip in to the free chapters on tor.com and see.

Also, "universe" is a mis-nomer for different settings in Sanderson's work, because everything he's writing fits into the same universe. There used to be one god or god-like conceptual entity, Adonasium (there's that name Sazed mentioned in Hero of Ages), that was shattered into 16 (there's that number again), and Ati (Ruin) and Leras (Preservation) were holders of two of the Adonasium shards. Different worlds have different shards associated, and there's probably (going to be?) some sort of all-out war between different shard factions, particularly as they begin to figure out how to travel FTL/teleport.

That sounds a lot like the Crossgen universe. Can't wait to get more books by him. Following him on Twitter he seems like a pretty awesome dude.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

Goddamit, Brandon Sanderson is cool as poo poo. He tweeting about getting everybody together at some card shop grand opening tonight to play magic. He's trading signed hardback copies of his books for certain cards...

I saw that same tweet. I bet he is the chillest dude to hang out with, I'd play magic with him.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

The only thing thats going to delay it will probably be the number of side projects he might start like Alcatraz, the Rithmatist, or another Alloy of Law type short story.

Yeah, but at his pace, he'll just write them when he is on the can.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
He better not freakin' die before finishing Stormlight Archives.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

He's in Taiwan now and was tweeting about a 21 hour flight just to get there...

That's at least 2 or 3 books right there.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

neongrey posted:

Bets on how many books he writes on the trip?

I say at least a novel or two novellas. It's what 14 hour plane flight?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Does this guy not freakin' sleep? We should turn his focus to science, I want my hoverboard, cure for cancer and flying cars dammit!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That man is going to have a heart attack while writing. He needs to slow down some.

Though 6 to 8 months for Stormlight 2, hell yeah!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Let's just put him on several trans-world flights. That should allow him to crank out a few books.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I wish I could write 2000 words in 3 hours, it would make writing my papers so much easier. I am curious how many of those words end up in the final draft.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Tor put up this image: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/12/words-of-radiance-manuscript It looks like a freakin' beast. I wonder what WoK looks like in comparison.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I hope so, because as mentioned before that part of the story felt pretty much done.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I think this is a common problem with the fantasy genre as a whole. Jordan, GRRM, Sanderson, etc. for some reason feel it is necessary to produce these behemoth door stoppers to get their story across. But then you end up with chapters like above, or in Oathbringer where you could easily cut out or par down most of the chapters because they don't tell us anything new.

Back in the day I've read the WoT books a good 10 times, excluding the last 4 or so. I recently went back to do a re-read and I can't do it. The writing isn't bad but I have other things to spend my time on than reading massive books.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
As long as Tyrion goes on some kind of John Galt 100 page speech at the end. :lol:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I think it's talked about more later on but they had hoped that she was easily manipulable because she was so young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That is one of the scenes that I would love to see. Last half of that book is great.