Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

Sanderson is a subtle troll; he's been walking around Dragon*Con with a copy of AMOL.
Technically, he's been walking around DC with a copy of a WoT book with an AMOL cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I just finished Elantris, and now I have nothing to read. Dammit, Sanderson, write more books!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Aggro posted:

dramatic realizations, a poorly-planned rescue, and deus-ex-Lightsong.
Shouldn't that be Lightsong ex machina?

I'm in the same spot. I actually tweeted Brandon to ask him what the hell I should read now, he his assistant pointed out that I'd missed Firstborn (I mistakenly thought it was Mistborn). So that killed another 45 minutes, and was pretty good.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 20, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thought some people might appreciate this ... Brandon Sanderson is going to be answering questions posted to a fan site, and posted up the link for people to ask questions. I believe this DOES require registration, as it appears to be rather standard forum software, but in any case, go here. They do stipulate in the OP no Wheel of Time questions.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Echoing this emphatically. It's true of all of his books to some extent but WoK and Hero of Ages dial it up to 11.
It's pretty much the crucial distinct aspect of his writing - the "Sanderson Avalanche". Slow buildup, then half a book of :tviv:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yep - it's what led to him being a prisoner. PS probably want to spoiler that.

Edit: Wow, that was pretty dumb of me. Hah!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 23, 2013

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

quiggy posted:

So I've been reading Elantris and it's kind of slow and boring. I know it's his first book so it won't be perfect, but please tell me that there's still a decent avalanche once I get in far enough.
I found it pretty interesting overall. What part are you at? It almost definitely gets better.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Ooh, I haven't. Is it published?
Yes. I, at least, got it on Kindle.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Come on, March 4th ...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

NightRift posted:

I'll Third The Black Prism and its sequel The Blinding Knife. More gritty then Sanderson's work while maintaining similar conventions. The second book was much more engrossing then the first.

On another note, Despite the awful title Blood Song by Anthony Ryan was amazing and I highly recommend it.
Weeks, Ryan, and Sanderson are pretty much my "I will buy anything they publish the day they release it without a second thought or the slightest look at the blurb/reviews" authors. Black Prism and the sequel are amazing - like, I haven't been that into a book since Wheel of Time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

I really disliked his Night Angel series because of its juvenile approach to, well, everything. It was a fourteen year old boy's power fantasy.

Has he improved?
I've read both, and Lightbringer is a lot better.

Edit: I found out about the series from Brandon's editor/assistant on twitter :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What exactly do you think [spoiler] is for? :confused: