Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

in way of kings does dalinar erase his wife from his memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Antti posted:

Forgetting his wife was the price he paid for using Old Magic.

I must have really skimmed this book first time through. what is that and how does it differ from surgebinding?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

So he never thought to ask his kids about their mother? Or did the person who took his memories tell everybody to just not let dalinar in on the secret, a la eternal sunshine of the spotless mind?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

NinjaDebugger posted:

He's not capable of thinking of asking his kids about their mother, nor is he capable of receiving the information from them.

You know… That would've probably made the movie better.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Jorenko posted:

Way of Kings laid out so many hints that it's hard to imagine this won't be a major factor in Stormlight down the line.

The thought of a mistborn surgebinder is… Well… That would be a really interesting passage to read about and would probably make me fully erect.

Edit: he would probably gently caress up and eat his spheres.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

So wait… Does that mean he already planned out mistborn before he even started writing the way of Kings? That said, what kind of chronology is there for the Cosmere?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Isn't BYU traditionally a Mormon school?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Wearing a Szeth shirt like a boss.

God I cannot wait for the sequel to Way of Kings. I'm gonna try to get Steelheart and Emperor's Soul in the meantime.

Do they still have that shirt that says "I'm wearing your mom,"?

Edit: do you think he would be offended if I told him that he was a better fiction writer than John Smith?

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 21, 2013

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

treeboy posted:

He'd probably be very confused why you were comparing him to an early English settler of Jamestown Virginia who was not exactly known for his fictional prose or literary style (because he didn't write fiction) though his nonfiction writings were important for encouraging further British colonization

Yeah, that would've been a lot more clever if I had said Joseph Smith instead of John Smith. I get it. That's what I get for posting while high.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Does reen actually exist or is it just Ruin in her head?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

One more question: what kind of misting was kelsier before he snapped? Do we know?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

This might be the spergiest question I've ever asked, but does anyone know if Wayne creating a speed bubble in a moving vehicle like a train ever had dramatically unintended consequences? You know, like the floor caught at the bottom of the speed bubble crashing into the floor that is outside the bubble?

You would think Sanderson would have considered that, as he is gaining a reputation as a fantasy author who thinks of everything. Then again, I still have 25% left of Alloy finish, so it's possible something like that happens then.

Also, I just got the joke: Wax & Wayne, as in wax and wane.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Objects are either all inside or all outside of a time bubble. For a train, the passengers and stuff would count as part of the train.

Couldn't that then be exploited to make a bubble larger than it is supposed to be?

Edit: goddamn why am I asking these things? :sperg:

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Just got my copy. See you guys when I get myself out of the BrandSandalanche :derp:

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

"He had to remember that he was falling. This was not flight, and every second he moved, his speed increased."

I slept through much of high school physics, but is this actually possible? I recall something about 9.8 m/s squared. :eng101:

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

How feasible do you think it would be, if Sanderson got permission from Jordan's estate, that he could retcon wheel of time into a shardworld? Creation/Oblivion? It could work.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

Are you drunk?

Not even high, which may be the problem…

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

computer parts posted:

Skin Game in about 5 days.

What's skin game, precious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

ulmont posted:

The new Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher.

My good friend keeps telling me to read those. Are they all heists? I saw the first episode of that adaptation they did for sci-fi; wasn't terrible.