Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Neep posted:

The one I hope is wrong: I hope the Parshendi aren't Voidbrjngers or as evil as they're made to sound in the histories. They seem just like another people trying to survive

Hmm, I didn't read it as the Parshendi were Voidbringers. I read it that the Parshmen were and it's been noted many times there are differences between the two (both physically and in how they act). The way the Parshendi start to revere Kaladin at the end when they realize what he is also tells me they are probably not the bad guys, but simply misunderstood and/or framed to be the bad guys by whoever is pulling the strings. The way the Voidbringers were described was also MUCH more hardcore and unstoppable then the way the Parsehndi are (even though they are very badass). There is also the fact that Parshendi have Shardbearers, which are weapons that were created to defeat Voidbringers...

My hunch is that the war with the Parshendi has been setup and/or caused by one of these secret groups who are behind the real evil. In fact we never actually lean anything about the Parshendi taking the blame for the assassination, it's simply said a few times. We don't visit the moment it happened in a flashback, it's simply used as a way to make us think it's the end all be all explanation. It's not like they have television, and they speak an entirely different language that no one in the series seems to understand, so how did they go about taking credit for the assassination? So many holes there.

Graphics fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Steelheart, and I'm quite enjoying it. I'm pretty sure I figured out what Steelheart's weakness is, although I was pretty sure I had it figured out after reading the first chapter a few months ago, so we'll see if I'm right.

I feel like this book would translate really well into a movie.

He mentions a movie deal being in the works in the books credits / acknowledgements at the end.

I burned through this book in two days, would have been one if it were the weekend. Can't wait for the sequel, though the same could be said for pretty much everything Sanderson has released recently (Stormlight, Infinity Blade, and now Steelheart).

Popular Human posted:

It was pretty good, though. It reminded me a lot of the first Mistborn novel actually: a bunch of scrappy rebels putting together a Grand Plan to discover the secret weakness of a Big Bad Guy.

I got vibes from that aspect of Mistborn as well as similar aspects of Infinity Blade (figuring out how to kill the big bad guy, apocalyptic, etc).

Graphics fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 27, 2013