Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hot drat, just finally finished reading The Way of Kings a few minutes ago, got a bunch of thoughts and questions flying through my head, I'm just gonna put everything below in spoilers just to be safe.

The last 150 pages or so were absolutely intense, so much questions and plot points being raised. So are we definitely sure that the parshmen are potential voidbringers? Where does that leave the Parshendi? Judging by all the talk of honor and how the Parshendi actually seemed intelligent and noble in a sense by Kaladin and Dalinar, they don't really seem evil at all. Is Taravangian just pure evil? The guy does not sound like someone looking out for people's best interests. Is he a puppet of Odium or something? Also, I keep hearing that all of Brandon Sanderson's works take place within a place he calls the cosmere. Is the Almighty of The Way of Kings the same god in all his other stories? I haven't read any of his other works yet, but I definitely plan on it. Are there different creation stories for each of his series, or is there some sort of running theme that there's a God who is dead in his other novels?

Eitherway, awesome read, and the appearance of the last remaining herald at the very end of the novel left me with chills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks, that definitely answers most of my questions. I feel that the parshmen being voidbringers was just way too obvious of a "twist," it was definitely a thought that popped up into my head when I was halfway in, but it just didn't feel believable.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Actually, Odium is a fragment of the sixteen pieces of godhood that created the cosmere Brandon Sanderson write's all his books in. Odium was apparently a mother fucker before he ever got his fragment, which was Odium (defined as: general widespread hatred or disgust), so he's basically the most powerful, evil thing in existence. From what people have gathered, Wit/Hoid/Other names in other books, has been working across realities to put a stop to his reign. What's really awesome is that apparently all the books will tie together eventually and lead to a final confrontation with Odium, presumably at the end of the stormlight archives series.

Fact.

That might easily be the most epic thing I have ever heard. Good thing I have about a decade or so to read everything else he's ever written, but at the pace he writes at, trying to catch up might not actually be as simple as it sounds.