Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm gonna read it just because otherwise this thread will become impossible to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Way of Kings leatherbound Kickstarter has finished with $6,788,517. According to reddit

quote:

It's the most funded publishing Kickstarter by a LOT-- second most appears to be $866,000. The second most funded fantasy novel Kickstarter raised $136,000 (Age of Empyre by Michael J Sullivan), so roughly 50x.
That's a lot of cash for a book that's already out. Kudos to Sanderson for being able to generate this insane amount of interest.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

insider posted:

Thru Chapter 6:

I can see some of the orders of fused going over to Team Urithiru while some of the Radiant Orders will be corrupted by Team Odium..
I mean, most of the Skybreakers, including their Herald, already went over to Team Odium at the end of Oathbringer, didn't they?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Presumably that means 75% done with the rough draft, not 75% done with the entire writing process, but still. drat.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

A 200 page "novella"

Classic Sanderson

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Stoked for Dawnshard. GIVE BOOK

Leng posted:

The correct term is "Sanderlanche"! :eng101:
I love finding Sanderlanches in other books too now, like Wintersteel (Cradle #8).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Rhythm of War and loved it. Kind of suffered through the flashbacks -- I hate it when I'm seeing that kind of thing where I know it's gonna turn out bad -- but I think they were still important/useful for understanding the culture.

Some parts were lengthy and in-depth in a way that can be charitably described as Classic Sanderson, but it didn't bother me at all, possibly because I've read like 6 million words of Wandering Inn which is easily an order of magnitude worse at # of things happening / 100k words.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

edit: weird, my spoiler tag won't work, welp oh well

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Branderson has an update on Skyward #3 up on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/kac165/skyward_three_update_two/

quote:

(Publishers would generally like an 12-18 moth lead time after book turn in to publication, and this one will have around ten months or so.)
I guess I don't know poo poo about publishing, because to me that seems like a comically long period of time. I understand that book publishers do...stuff, like editing and marketing, and of course physically printing the book, but still, a year+?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The man, the machine, the legend.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Agreed, though each Skyward novel is like 500 pages, it's only short by Branderson standards.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hrathen is basically a mormon missionary -- specifically of the earlier breed that had more leeway to do their own thing -- except more obviously nefarious.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Brandon has an update out on Skyward #3, plus there's apparently three (!) Skyward novellas he's working on as well, because gently caress eff it, why the hell heck not: https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/l06ipy/skyward_three_update_three

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Pennsylvanian posted:

I know. It's just a very tiring thing to have to deal with in so many different stories. Maybe just once in a while, I'd like to experience a fantasy story where the protagonist can just be a ruthless power abuser in a practical way.
Reverend Insanity, the MC is ruthlessly evil in pursuit of power, to the point that it can be hard to stomach reading it. You also have to deal with it being Xianxia translated from Chinese.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think counting any form of skin coloration using dyes/paints as 'blackface' is really productive.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Plan Z posted:

Friends. Is it not good?
It's generally regarded as Sanderson's weakest published novel. That said, I still enjoyed it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There's a pretty huge difference between someone doing a caricature of an ethnicity for entertainment value, vs someone adopting a costume/mannerisms as a disguise to sneak in somewhere. Whether the latter is okay depends on the context of why they need to be sneaking. As Sab said:

quote:

A white person putting on makeup to play black people in a theatrical performance, instead of just allowing black people to loving perform is a different thing than a story's protagonist needing to don a disguise to blend in somewhere.

quote:

I don't disagree with you! But people in this thread seem to either think that 1 - it isn't blackface (it is) or 2 - that we should look past it because it's an early work from Sanderson (which is a debatable notion).
What? You're the one that tried to blame it on the book's age, not other goons, dude.

Mordiceius, literally two comments down posted:

I attribute it more to the book's age than anything else. This book is drat near 20 years old at this point. This would be far more damning if it were something to happen in one of his newer books.
Nobody else tried to defend it based on the age of the book; they didn't need to, because it's not blackface.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Taffer posted:

Blackface isn't bad because someone literally puts on makeup to look like another ethnicity. It's bad because it's used as a tool to exclude (excluding black actors, as mentioned) and degrade (racial stereotypes as halloween costumes). If someone is putting on makeup to look like another ethnicity (especially in a made-up fantasy setting) that isn't to exclude or degrade then it's not the same thing.
Generally agreed, though once a precedent has been strongly established for a particular use, it can kind of taint the whole thing. For blackface for example, it's considered taboo for cosplayers to darken their skin to try and match a black character, even though that's not about exclusion or degradation. You get into real grey area when a cosplayer from a culture that has no history of blackface does it, though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

:sickos:

Though as good as Adolin is, when Adolin sees Dalinar fight Szeth on the plains he recognizes immediately that he's nothing compared to what his dad was like when younger and that yes, the Blackthorn really was that much of a force of nature because look at how well Dalinar can fight as an older man without shardplate against a dude who has murdered multiple shardbearers. Dalinar does better right then and there against Szeth than Adolin (and Kaladin without surges) did in their earlier fight. Adolin's a good duelist but his fighting skill isn't on the same level as Dalinar at the same age and the fight with Szeth strongly implies Adonlin might not even be on Dalinar's even now (though as we see in RoW even if that's true, Adolin's still a beast). If Dalinar had succumb and reverted he'd absolutely break Adolin in a one on one fight.
The impression I get is that Adolin is extremely skilled within the bounds of a structured duel. But he doesn't have nearly as much unstructured combat experience as his dad. Adolin knows how to duel, while Dalinar knows how to kill men.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

So I've finally started Rhythm of War. Still just at the start.

Sanderson really seems to like the prologues reshaping everything we thought we knew. I know some folks have speculated before that Gavilar was a poo poo but that was never my impression of him. My feeble grasp of his character was that he understood how things are now wasn't how they should be. It would take a lot to set things aright but setting them right was still his goal.

ROW's prologue makes him out be little more than a gloryhound with an inflated sense of self-worth. So different from Dalinar's picture of how Gavilar had changed to become more...contemplative and honorable in his old age.

Maybe we're too used to myopic thinking these days and the answer really is in the middle. To some people, Gavilar was a good, kind man. To his wife...not so much. She basically does say this, although you can read it as the face he presented to others was a mask and the face Navani saw was the truth.

I grew up mormon, one time this middle-aged guy died who was widely liked within the congregation and the community. Later on his son, who I'm sort of friends with, spoke up with how yeah everyone else liked his dad, but to his family he was a piece of poo poo. Not, like, physically abusive, but just a dickhead. That's who I think of when I think of how Gavilar got presented here.

People can present very different faces to different groups of people. And it's not even necessarily duplicitous or deceptive, that's really just how they are. You can see that in plenty of accounts of historical figures, where it's like, "oh yeah this guy was great with orphans, donated so much to charity, he really cared...and he also REALLY hated the Jews".

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 15, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

egg tats posted:

nah, navani is definately future trunks, she's super cool, mysterious, and has information that no one else has access to
That sounds way more like Jasnah than Navani.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

The Cradle series is Sanderson-esque in that they're both animes put to text for a western audience.
Cradle is Sanderson except with less deep/technical world building and magic systems, but way more fighting and much better dialogue.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

To be fair, being tortured to protect others from harm is a very honorable thing to do.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Should've given him a beard. Jeff from the Overwatch team is a great example of beard-based de-nerding, it's like night and day.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Cradle is more visibly anime, but I feel Sando has the melodrama and monologues down better. Wight likes snarky, rapid-fire lines and humor, and it doesn't feel very anime to me.

scary ghost dog posted:

brando sando is the most anime-rear end fantasy author there is
I mean his dialogue ain't the best but it's not anime-tier bad

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sab669 posted:

How is it anything more than an art style?
This is a bit like saying "what does it mean to be American?" just refers to the flag on your passport, ignoring the culture that goes along with that. Because much like anime, any particular American may go contrary to the tropes: maybe they hate pickups, despise capitalism, and have never touched a gun in their life. But that doesn't mean those things aren't part of American culture.

There are patterns and shared things within the world of anime, even if not every single anime goes along with every one.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Louisgod posted:

okay I'll add it to my list.
I thought their suggestion was kind of a joke, just because Abercrombie's style is practically the opposite of Sanderson.

I liked the First Law trilogy though, definitely not a bad series to read regardless.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah it gets better but ultimately Stormlight is definitely the very very word-y Sanderson series and it never really stops being that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

If he is putting some real effort into making mental issues more real I’ll give him credit for it. I don’t know, just kinda comes off a little hackey when it’s coming from a middle aged white guy mormon I guess?
Why? Utah has super high rates of depression lmao. Being actively Mormon puts a ton of pressure on people to be Mr. and Mrs. Perfect.

Now that I think of it, Utah also has super high rates of cosmetic surgery too, you see that poo poo on billboards there constantly; maybe inspiration for lightweaving?

edit: literally the #1 state in the country - https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/health/2018/12/06/depression-rates-rise-utah-looking-slow-increase/2213071002/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

If you want trauma and depression and crazy rear end worldbuilding, there's also Worth the Candle, which recently finished. It's definitely Not For Everyone though, it has the "rational fiction" style that not everyone likes, and it's considerably darker and grimmer overall than Sanderson's work.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I was really confused how Marsh got in there. But I also didn't remember anything about Dalinar interacting with Preservation.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Now put PirateAba from The Wandering Inn on there

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah the US versions suck. They make her look like 25+ when she's supposed to be like 15? Reminds me of some of the characters in Glee.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Question for long time Brandon fans:

What made him famous? I remember last time I was musing about somebody having to continue ASOIAF after GRRM died and the consensus on here was Sanderson's finishing up WOT was not very good.

But apparently this was what made him famous? All he had out before that was Final Empire and Elantris?

But I swear I first heard of Sanderson because of Mistborn. That's why I started there.
Finishing WoT definitely helped, but mostly people just really like his books, especially Mistborn and Stormlight. His prose is plain and his dialogue can be kind of wooden (especially humor), but he has good plotting, decent character development, really good endings, interesting world building and cool magic systems.

There's still plenty of people who dislike his books though, just like any popular author. If you go into the main SF/F thread there's plenty of people who hate his writing there IIRC.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

For the books yeah, for the shows it probably makes sense to draw the line there. At least until the show hits whichever books Sanderson wrote.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Part of me wonders whether big names getting into Patreon is good or bad for the smaller names. Because it's possible they could 'crowd out' smaller creators by hogging the attention, but it's also possible that they grow the platform as a whole.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I did the whole missionary thing and went to BYU.
Samesies!

DarkHorse posted:

If I'm not mistaken which i most likely am, Mormonism has an implicit inclusion of demiurges, what with the especially devout getting to create their own planet and ruling as deities (as I think Jesus is supposed to be for Earth) so it's not too far off from doctrine.
My understanding was that it'd be more like your own universe, where you'd be "Heavenly Father", just as our God was himself once a man. The cycle continues forever etc.

Sanderson is very obviously a liberal mormon in terms of willingness to tolerate and explore other viewpoints, though to me Sazed felt much more like a doubting mormon's thoughts than Hrathen.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lawnie posted:

Dalinar is a chosen one, given the word of god in book form directly, and leads his tribe on a journey to their mythical promised land. He’s basically Joseph Smith
What? It sounds like you don't know the story of Dalinar or Joseph Smith or both.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lawnie posted:

I think the themes of imperialism explored in Wit’s story of the walled town and racism throughout the series can be seen as piece and part of the conversation between Dalinar’s story and Mormonism. The alethi are at least initially interested only in subjugating or ethnically cleansing their dark-skinned enemies who turn out to be the true natives of the continent and predate the lighter-skinned people of Roshar.
Obviously the Alethi are imperialistic assholes, but IIRC non-listener Rosharans as a whole are a pretty big mix of skin colors, and the Alethi themselves are brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

It's not just twitter. I shared his video with a discord I'm in some people got big mad about it.
Man some people really are crabs in a bucket