Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Szeth is the most bad-rear end charecter I've read in a while. I hope he gets to be a main point of view in book two.

Wit was freaking hilarious and I love his reveal as Hoid. Brandon has said that Hoid will probably get his own book/s at some point in the future, for now we will occasionally get teased.

The best scene of the book (in terms of how it was written/described) for me has to be when Kaladin rides out the storm. The imagery of this giant evil face driving the storm across the lands was pretty cool. There was a tease at some point that Kaladin may be able to ride these storms across the land... His first bridge run is a close second.

Dalinar initially was boring to me, but drat did he get redeemed in the last half of the book.

I still don't know how I feel about Shalan or Jasnah. Gonna have to wait till book 2 on that.

Brandon is only going to get better from here on out. His work on WOT is making him a much better writer, you can see it over the course of all his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

I'm not sure about the Alcatraz series...

Alcatraz has two main things that the good guys can do. The first is the ability to use glass lenses to do different things. One lens can shoot a stream of fire, the other can create a blast of wind, while a third might be used to track and identify somebody's trail. (Its kinda like in Zelda twilight princess how you could follow scent trails in wolf form). There are more, but you get the idea. The second thing is that every member of the Smedry family (the main protaginist) has a talent that on paper sounds useless but in actuality works great. Just in case, I'll spoiler:
Alcatraz can break stuff. Sometimes when he opens a door, the doorknob falls off. Or he might start using a microwave and it starts shortcircuiting and causes a fire. Eventually he learns to channel this ability and use it to destroy guns, create holes in the floor, or bring down entire buildings.

His grandfather arrives late to everything. Whether its a meeting or a critical rescue, he always shows up late. If you shoot a gun a gun at him, he will arrive late to the bullet and it will miss. If you torture him, he will arrive late to the pain and not feel it. Though later on he has to slowly arrive at the pain a little bit at a time in order to not be overwhelmed by it.

These talents don't really get explained untill the second book, but they are similar to other "Sanderson Magic Systems" in that they are actually structured and organized.

I've read the first two books and didn't start to enjoy them untill about midway through book 2. The honest truth is that most people will find these books stupid and pointless. But if you enjoy random siliness they can be quite entertaining. Brandon's humor is on full display and it really starts to shine throughout the second book. But keep in mind these are written for middle school students. Unless you've become a hardcore Sanderson fan, you probably won't like them. Though your kids probably will. He also makes fun of Harry Potter at the end of the first book.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 6, 2010

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Superstring posted:

Dalinar's Shardplate: Dalinar's giving his own Shardplate to Renarin. Which means, when Szeth comes to kill Dalinar, he won't have a Shardblade or Plate anymore. :ohdear:

No, but he will have Kaladin. drat I can't wait until Szeth schools him on using his new powers...shits gonna be loving epic!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

combat_potato posted:

I agree about the pacing. It seems like the story lagged for a few chapters then surged forward to make up for it. The story did suffer through a little too much Kaladin feeling sorry for himself about the people around him that die, I think we can all agree that gets old the fourth time over.

Yeah that did get a little old. But I do like the position he's in for Book 2. He's in charge of his own group of ultra loyal self trained troops and he still holds a grudge agaisnt most of the aristocracy. I'm sure the monarchy is going to hell in the next book and it will be interesting to see what he does.

Has the book been out long enough to still need spoilers in the thread?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This is the blog entry to read if curious whats coming down the pipe.
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/925/Another-Long-and-Rambling-Post-on-Future-Books

Brandon Sanderson posted:

MAYBE COMING SOMEDAY BUT ONLY PARTIALLY WRITTEN

•Dark One (YA dark fantasy.)
•Steelheart (Superhero apocalypse.)
•The King's Necromancer
•The Silence Divine (Shardworld novel, standalone.)
•White Sand (Shardworld trilogy.)
•The Liar of Partinel (Shardworld novel, one of two.)
•Dragonsteel (Major Shardworld epic. Won't be written until Stormlight is done.)

My guess is that Dragonsteel is going to be the big one that reveals a lot about Hoid and Adonalsium.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Superhero...apocalypse?

Never have two words sounded better together.

POSSIBLE PROJECTS FOR MY TIME OFF

•Mistborn short story (Looking likely.)
•Unnamed urban fantasy (This is what I'm working on right now. Watch Twitter/Facebook for updates on this story. It involves a necromancer pizza deliveryman as a protagonist.)
•Scribbler revisions (Will almost certainly be done.)
•Finishing one of the unfinished novels mentioned above (Not likely, but you never know.)
"I only get a $1 tip? KLATU VERATA NIKTU!!!"
/raises an army of darkness before driving back to Papa Johns

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think he said we are going to get a mistborn novella some time next year. I can see how this is probably eating at him, he knows that not all of his fans are WOT fans. But finishing WOT is really the best choice for him, he owes it to all his new fans that would have never known about him before. I think there would be riots in the streets if the final book had to wait 2 more years because of Stormlight 2. Theoryland might self destruct...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon just tweeted that the 1st draft of the mistborn novella is done and should come out next fall.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon Sanderson's Twitter posted:

New Mistborn novel has a title. Mistborn: The Alloy of Law. Doing a quick revision here before sending it to my agent/editor.

300 years after Hero of Ages. Technology is Edwardian, mostly. Guns, the advent of electricity, skyscrapers being built.

Well, it won't be out for a year or so...

The new book is set many years later, deals with new characters, etc.

This is gonna own.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

What? I've been following him since he got signed on by Jordan's widow a couple of years ago and I don't remember ever saying he was working on a Mistborn sequel. Amazing.

This the blog entry you need to read.
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/925/Another-Long-and-Rambling-Post-on-Future-Books

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Everstorm has come. And not surprisingly it has hit Australia first...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1312512/Incredible-giant-roll-cloud-looms-houses.html

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like the American cover, I think the lighting and setting are fantastic.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Speaking of the cover, if you got the cash...

http://michaelwhelan.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=350

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

subx posted:

Yea I don't get the complaining about the cover. Compared to most fantasy covers it's pretty good. At least it looks like real art, and not like a five year old drew it.

Click here for the full 938x1425 image.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Every book he writes (minus WOT) has a charecter that pops up called Hoid. He usually only has a scene or two in which he tells stories or has information for the main charecters. Most people forget he was even in the book once they finish reading it. (I know I did.)

In the Way of Kings, Hoid is further explained to be a worldsinger. He can travel between the worlds of the different books through a plane called the shadesmaar. Towards the end of the book, Shallan learns how to travel there too in order to work magic. (Or something...drat I gotta re-read that book again.) Hoid's motivations are still unknown, though he does seem to help the good guys in each book.

I have to say, I kinda rolled my eyes when I learned all these books tied together, mostly because of how bad the Dark Tower (Stephen King) turned out. But now I really think that Brandon has a vision and can pull this off. Unlike King, he doesn't seem to be pulling this out of his rear end in order to sell more books. And with Brandon's work ethic, we should be getting 1.5 - 2 books a year. GURM would have a heart attack if he had to write that much.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

IRQ posted:

Wow, I didn't know he posted a bunch of supplemental stuff on his website. I think he's becoming my favorite author.

He's the only author I know of that writes DVD style commentary on every chapter of books. Hell, he might even write them for the WoW books if Harriet (Jordan's widow) and crew will let him.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kalas posted:

Sazed's intro mentioned (from his perspective) that Shardplate would interfere with his Surgebinding.

Probably because the second he drew stormlight into himself, he'd de-power the plate.

You mean Szeth.

Frankly I like that they don't need no shardplate. I can't wait untill Kaladin inherits the last remaining Herald's sword (3+ books down the line probably) and takes up his burden.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 10, 2010

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eh! Frank posted:

I'm hoping there's more metals still to be revealed, but even if not, I'm excited to see what he does with allomancy in modern and futuristic settings.

Max Payne, the burned out allomancer cop.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Mistborn Trilogy is getting an ebook release on Feb 1st for $23.99. This is pretty much what you would pay for each ebook seperately.

However it does have some spiffy new artwork to go with it by Sam Weber.

Click here for the full 429x652 image.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

His latest tweet about the re-read is from the end of Book 2. Sounds like the re-read is going slower than he hoped, he planed to start Writing April 1st. He said he should meet that goal though.

edit: ment to post this in the wot thread...

Here's a blog post from the Dragonmount guy who gets to beta-test Brandon's books now.

Jason from Dragonmount.com posted:

So I finished reading an early “beta” copy of Brandon Sanderson‘s upcoming novel, “Mistborn: The Alloy of Law“. If you’re a big fan of the original Mistborn trilogy (like I am) then you’ll love this book. It takes place a few hundred years after the events of The Hero of Ages. Technology has evolved to the era of railroads and electricity. But of course, Allomancy–the system of burning or tapping metals for magical energy–remains (mostly) in place.

Although shorter than the other Mistborn books, this one has all the classic Sanderson calling cards: compelling and humorous characters, clever fight scenes, and plot twists alllllll the way up to the very last page. When I finished it, I was hungry for more. I hope he returns to this world again soon.
http://www.jasondenzel.com/2011/mistborn-the-alloy-of-law/

drat I can't wait for this one, even if its half the size of a mistborn book.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 26, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He tweeted that he might start working on making all the annotations into ebook format.

:hellyeah:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just pretend that book 10 and book 11 are one big book. Cause they are.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here are the latest tweets from Brandon about the new Mistborn book.

Brandon Sanderson's Twitter posted:

Another week of working on the Alloy of Law revision. I think you guys are going to enjoy this book--very fun.

It has a slightly more "pulp" feel than the original Mistborn books; more action, a little more humor, hopefully some great characters.

People are asking about Alloy of Law release date. Tor is telling me November of this year.

Well we couldn't get A Memory of Light this November, but this should get us through till March.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jorenko posted:

(HoA)Sazed gets better right at the end of course, but he's a tedious, repetitious bore of ridiculous depression for 90% of the book.

My thoughts exactly. I loved the book, but I wished we got to see more of Ten Soon's people and community.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Saradiart posted:

In regards to future Mistborn novels (recurring character spoilers?) Sanderson has suggested that Sazed will go insane from having two conflicting shard influences and become evil.

Holy poo poo, that could potentially rule. Hopefully the novella coming out this November will hint towards something like that and set up the next trilogy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Alcatraz is good if you want a random insane version of Harry Potter. Like most Sanderson novels, things do come together towards the end of each book. The magick/talent system is interesting.

Honestly I only reccomend the series if you are a hard core Sanderson fan or have kids. You also may want to get them on the kindle, as the book covers will definately earn you stares from the general public.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gentlemen,

Prepare for Steampunk Mistborn...

:stare:

Article: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/03/mistborn-the-alloy-of-law-cover-a-details-emerge

Book synopsis spoilered just in case. But trust me its worth reading.

Tor.com posted:

Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds.

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history—or religion. Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in the frontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice.

One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs.

Can't fuckin wait! Hardback and ebook will release in November.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 16, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I don’t do the office thing. How shall I say this? I became a writer so that I didn’t have to deal with the whole office thing. I know some authors need an office and a writing space; that’s great. But I just need my laptop and some music and I’m good pretty much anywhere.

I tend to be a roving writer, meaning I pick a place and I stay there for a few months, and then I get tired of it and I pick another place. So I write all over the house. My favorite locations tend to be in front of a fireplace with my feet up. I’ve actually stolen my wife’s easy chair and moved it over in front of the fireplace in my bedroom—it’s a gas fireplace, so I just turn it on. I’ve set up a light and a little stand next to me, and I’ve been working here for a few months. But I move around. It’s just basically laptop plus music. I don’t work at a desk; I cannot do the desk thing. I’ll work lying on my bed, on a couch, in an easy chair, in a beanbag chair, but not at a desk.

I want this so bad as I sit in cubeland at my office dreaming of 4PM when I can ride the train for an hour and a half to get home...

:smith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

subx posted:

This can't possibly be right. That's like good art on a fantasy book cover. We don't got no good covers here in these parts. That must be the UK version.

If this were the WOT thread, I would agree with you.

Brandon's had a really impressive streak of good cover-art lately.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I had that as my desktop background till Alloy of Law got posted last week.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Silenced Parrot posted:

I feel as though I'll be in the minority round these parts, but I like the UK cover of The Alloy of Law much more than the US, goggles be damned.

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/977/UK-Cover-Art-for-THE-ALLOY-OF-LAW

I like everything about it except for the person that was drawn.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

threeagainstfour posted:

edit: ooops, this post belongs in the Abercrombie thread.

Sorry you posted in this thread, now you have to go buy and read Mistborn.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

A lot of people read through all of Sanderson's books and not pick up on Hoid, the shards, and how the books tie together. I never knew untill it was pointed out to me on the internet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bantaras posted:

Way of Kings:
Could someone take a second and spoiler an explanation about the small chapter describing the water-wader guy and his three visitors? I think I missed something.

Its been discussed unspoilered here before, but they where searching for Hoid. Hoid is the only person (so far) to appear in multiple Sanderson books including Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, and Way of Kings.

Click these links for a better explanation of how these books tie together.

http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Cosmere

http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Hoid

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 4, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kalas posted:

Six books down the road, we will discover that every single little side detail in those flashbacks had hidden long term meaning. It will be awesome.

After reading the Final Empire trilogy (a few times), I expect nothing less of Stormlight.

You guys all seem to think his brother is actually dead. :smug:

He proably really is.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Guess what you can "pre-order" for delivery on May 1st 2011 on the Canadian Amazon...

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0765360055/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_4wZWnb0Z3AFA6

Reminds me of that awesome Way of Kings fake page that lasted for the longest time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dilber posted:

You know, Sanderson is one of the few authors I can think of off the top of my head where it is almost more enjoyable to read his books the second time rather then the first. While I loved all of his stuff the first time, I just re-read Way of Kings, and the incredible amount of foreshadowing he throws in throughout the entire book is amazing. And for all that everyone says that Way of Kings is mainly world building, the climax of that book is utterly fantastic.

I was just about to post something along these lines. I decided to reread all of his books, based on the order published, starting with Elantris. This book is infinately more enjoyable to read with the knowledge of how it plays out. When I first read the book, I found myself really enjoying the Raoden POV the most, with Sarene a close second, and Hrathen a distant third. I don't know what it was, Hrathen just wasn't that interesting to me. Now I feel that his POV is the most telling of all of them, and Sarene bores me to tears. Raoden is still kinda cool though, but not as much as before. Overall though, this book owns hard, especially for an untested author nobody had heard of before.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Way of Kings will be out in paperback next Tuesday if you've been waiting for a cheaper price.

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Kings-Stormlight-Archive/dp/0765365278

Hopefully it won't have the same problems that the WOT paperbacks had.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

God help you if you creased the spine of a WOT paperback, then you were screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

Had he appeared anywhere else? By this point Sanderson has conditioned me to assume that if there is a detail, it's important.

Unless you really hated Mistborn, this is why re-reading any of Brandon's stuff is fun. I just read Elantris a second time and all kinds of little details popped out at me that I never noticed on the first read through.

I don't think he physically appeared anywhere in the books except during that scene. However Preservation had been helping Vin all throughout the three books, especially at the end of the first book when her ear ring was taken out. I just started in on Mistborn again and I can't wait to discover all the "hidden in plain sight" material you don't pay attention to during the first read.