Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Warbreaker is available on his site in pdf format, free. If you've a kindle, it's easy to read in its native format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Clinton1011 posted:

I remember finding out about this series shortly after finishing the Mistborn trilogy. At the time I only found one blog entry about The Way of Kings and thought that was the series title.

Since reading the preview chapters, August 31st cant come fast enough.

A little off topic:
Does anyone know where I can find more information on his futuristic book that he is planning to write as well? I might be wrong in thinking it was Brandon Sanderson who mentioned the series, if I am I think it was Jim Butcher who said it.

I don't know about Sanderson, but Butcher is definitely planning a sci fi series, something along the lines of men in black.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

calandryll posted:

I'm about 100 pages into the third book. So far I've been kinda eh about it. The other two books I flew through, this one I'm not really up for reading.

Funny, I really don't like the second one as much as the first and third. The first is still the best, by a long shot, but I feel the political stuff in the second drags hard in the second act.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Way of Kings comes out in two days.

woop woop

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haraksha posted:

Are we treating this like the BS megathread?

Pretty much, yeah. Especially because the book in the thread title isn't even out yet.

One more day. woop woop

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm about to dive in. I read the first couple chapters on my lunch break, but this time I probably won't come up for air until I fall asleep.

Early impressions:
Lashing (the magic system) is cool and I can see some awesome fight scenes coming out of it. For those that don't know yet, Lashing is essentially gravity control. The Lasher can change which direction he is pulled, which direction other things are pulled, or cause an object to pull things to itself.

Ho hum. Magic soul-sealing swords and armor built to nullify them. Like we haven't seen that kind of thing before. Still, I suppose it's a staple of the genre...

Sanderson writes a pretty good battle scene. Digging the POV from a fresh, raw recruit building up what will probably be one of the series' main protagonists. Sanderson did this pretty well in Mistborn, too, when Vin watches Kelsier kick rear end.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

VanillaGorilla posted:

It's one of the things that really annoyed me about the Mistwalker series, and it's front and center in Way of Kings. That being said, Sanderson's ability to build worlds and interesting systems is here, too, so I'm sticking with it. I just hope that he lets go of writing everything like "so and so Lashes himself to the wall (OH BY THE WAY DID I MENTION THAT LASHING OPERATES THIS WAY AND THERE ARE 3 TYPES OF LASHES AND THIS IS HOW THEY ARE DIFFERENT)"

He got over it pretty quickly in the Mistborn books. The first couple of fights and the training montage were a bit overly technical, but most everything after was more free-flowing. There might be the occasional "so and so burned tin, heightening his senses," here and there, but there wasn't an encyclopedia-like entry.

I'm expecting Way of Kings to end up like that, and to be honest, Wheel of Time is much that way too. How many times are we reminded that shields are made of pure Spirit? drat near every time it's used.

I find these magic-as-a-science systems to be quite engaging, especially if they remain consistent to themselves.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This book owns. It's really good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Xyrael posted:

I agree. I can't believe we've got 9 more books, though. At least we can count on him to put them out at a good pace. I remember him saying he was shelving it until he finishes the last Wheel of Time book, unfortunately.

Well he's done with the penultimate WoT book, so there's just one more to go. And I'm pretty sure that I read that Jordan wrote most of the ending to the series, so it should go even faster!

I'm not really too worried about the time between books in this series. Thus far Sanderson has put out about a billion books in just a few years.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

fed_dude posted:

I'm about 400 pages in and really enjoying it. There are times where I feel like he's got a checklist next to him while writing, with all the elements that make Jordan and Martin great on the list, and he's just going through one by one making sure he has those elements.

This is what I love about Sanderson. He knows his poo poo and what's more, he knows where to look for inspiration. His style is a bit barebones at the beginning, but it picks up as the book goes along.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Koryk posted:

gently caress Sanderson is a beast. I can't wait for this next book. Is it confirmed that he's doing TSA > WOT > WOT > TSA or might we see the second TSA book before AMOL?

He's already done with Towers of Midnight, so there's only the final WoT book remaining.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cartoon Man posted:

This is the blog entry to read if curious whats coming down the pipe.
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/925/Another-Long-and-Rambling-Post-on-Future-Books

Superhero...apocalypse?

Never have two words sounded better together.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eh! Frank posted:

Looking on wikipedia, seems like the last two metals have already been revealed, not in the books but on a Table of Allomantic Metals poster that Sanderson is/was selling on his site.

Spoilered in case you don't want it ruined for you (though the powers are pretty easy to figure out if you think about it):

Chromium - An Allomancer while burning Chromium is able to destroy another Allomancer's metals, just like Aluminum does to one's self.

Nicrosil - An Allomancer while burning Nicrosil can cause a target Allomancer currently burning metals to burn them in a brief, intense flash. Similar to Duralumin, differing only because Duralumin is an internal metal (targeting the Allomancer burning it), and Nicrosil is an external metal (targeting another Allomancers).

I'm hoping there's more metals still to be revealed, but even if not, I'm excited to see what he does with allomancy in modern and futuristic settings.

Ha those two metals are completely obvious in retrospect. Hell, Vin even asks Kelsier if it's possible to affect the metals in another Allomancer in their first training segment.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

senae posted:

I can understand why the Lord Ruler kept those super secret he was almost constantly burning a poo poo-ton of metal, and a burst of Nicrosil would have probably blinded and deafened him for hours. Combined with the fact that ideally no one would need to fight an allomancer if he died (since allomancy was of preservation) they'd be useless in a Lord Rulerless world.

The Mistborn world comes together so much better than than drat near any other series I've read. There's things mentioned in the first page that foreshadow events at the end of the trilogy. All of it is premeditated and all of it makes sense.

A large part of that is probably due to how Brandon wrote them all before publishing the first. If he got to something in book three that worked better if the underlying mechanics were slightly different, he just went back and re-wrote that difference from the beginning.

He talks about that a lot in his commentary. Which, by the way, is the best drat thing ever. I wish more authors did commentary. His little asides about why he did such-and-such and the meanings behind this-or-that add yet another layer of enjoyment to an already enjoyable experience.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just finished the commentary for the Hero of Ages, something I hadn't done before. It felt like the right time to do it, having just completed my third re-read of the series, the first after reading the other two books' commentary.

Even knowing the series as well as I do, and having read the commentary on the previous two books, there's still a handful of things I hadn't caught and a couple of things I'd suspected but now have confirmed.

Things I hadn't caught:
Kelsier's spirit was the one talking to Spook and Vin after their spikes were removed. I thought it was just Ruin pretending to be Kelsier. Both happen in key, climactic moments and I really hadn't made the connection between 'mysterious words' and 'no more spikes mean no more Ruin'. On all three reads I've been too caught up in the story to match that up. In retrospect it's pretty obvious.

Luthandel is at the magnetic north pole, meaning all compasses point towards the capitol, and the Final Empire is actually quite small. While this is really kind of incidental and not explained well (it's hinted at only vaguely), and so is the fact that the ash is somewhat ferromagnetic and would thus gather at the poles, it does beg the question: who lived at the other probable habitable zone at the south pole?

Things I suspected and were confirmed by the commentary:
The kandra people survived the Resolution. Sazed was simply too nice to not use his new powers as God to use all those leftover spikes to bring the kandra back to sentience.

Marsh probably survived. Remember, he was both an Allomancer and a Feruchemist and undoubtedly had some health stored up somewhere on his person, especially considering all the time Ruin just had him standing around doing nothing. Perfect time to store up whatever attribute he wanted.

Plus, Brandon said that if Marsh survived, since there was atium around, he has the potential to live forever using the same trick as the Lord Ruler, meaning he could be back for future Mistborn books.

Marsh is a favorite of mine, so this is good news. He was every bit as instrumental in the downfall of the Final Empire and the defeat of Ruin as Vin. She was all brute force. Marsh was essentially a sleeper agent the entire time. First he infiltrates the Ministry, then ends up as an Inquisitor and takes out his brethren to give Vin a chance to beat the Lord Ruler. He shows Sazed the writing at the Conventical while under the early influences of Ruin. Then he finally rips the earring from Vin's ear and allows her to ascend.

I can see him taking a similar, behind-the-scenes role in the future.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

treeboy posted:

I thought Marsh was just a misting though, a seeker right? How would he pull the same trick the Lord ruler did?

Hemalurgy works like this:

If you kill an Allomancer or Feruchemist with metal, a portion of their power is transferred into the metal. If you spike someone with that metal (in the right place), the person spiked gets the power to use as they wished. The longer the wait between death and spiking a host, the more power is lost.

For Mistings, spikes only absorbed the one power the victim Misting had, but if a Mistborn died to make a spike, it would grant all the powers of a Mistborn to the one who got spiked.

I can't remember if Feruchemists who died to make a spike were a one-at-a-time deal, or if they were wholesale like Mistborn, but I find wholesale to be more likely.

A spike that granted a power someone already had would simply make that power stronger. This is how Vin and many Inquisitors were able to pierce copperclouds.

The Lord Ruler was both a Feruchemist and an Allomancer, and that was the source of almost all of his power. He could fuel his Feruchemy with metals instead of his own energies. He could, for example, spend a few hours every couple of weeks old and frail, storing his youth into a metal. Then he could burn that metal and instead of being young for the same few hours he was old, he'd be young for a couple of weeks.

He could do similar stunts with any Feruchemical ability. Store a few minutes worth of health and use it to recover from decapitation.

The original Inquisitors only had the powers of a Mistborn, but many gained those of Feruchemists as well after the slaughter of the Terris Synod, making each equal in power (if less in practice) to the Lord Ruler.

Marsh got Feruchemical spikes and bonus Allomantic spikes on top of his originals. Marsh and the dozen or so Inquisitors that Vin fought before ascending were all of this type. But Marsh got more spikes than any of them. By the end of the series, he was easily the most powerful creature on the planet and Vin only stood a chance once she took in the power of Preservation. Marsh was taking her apart before he manage to take control of himself long enough to rip the spike from her ear.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

j3rkstore posted:

The Stormlight Archives, book 1: Talk about anything other than this book

This really does need to be the Brandon Sanderson thread instead of just for Stormlight.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kreeblah posted:

Try Warbreaker. It's self-contained, pretty well-written, and, best of all, you can read the whole thing for free. Sanderson's got a PDF of it posted on his site in the Warbreaker section.

I did this, and I used Calibre to convert it to Kindle format.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NinjaDebugger posted:

He definitely realizes that the "Sanderson Avalanche" is a problem and is working on it. I have seen words to that effect somewhere, though I can't for the life of me remember exactly where.

It's somewhere in the annotations.

To be honest, almost all of the 'drag' is in the second book. The third is much faster-paced. The second book has a lot of exposition and convoluted politiking for most of the middle half.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cartoon Man posted:

Here are the latest tweets from Brandon about the new Mistborn book.

Well we couldn't get A Memory of Light this November, but this should get us through till March.

I dunno about you, but it'll get me through, perhaps, an entire day if it's shorter than Mistborn 1 like he says!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haraksha posted:

Wells of Ascension is really dragging. I get it, Vin, it's hard to trust and you're only very slowly growing as a person. But, please, let's not spend entire chapters in a dress shop.

The middle half of Well is drag-tastic. Sanderson acknowledges this in his commentary, in that he tends to build for the "Sanderson Avalanche," sometimes to the point where the middle of his works suffers for it. The first step to overcoming one's problems is to know them!

Luckily, the last quarter of the book, the avalanche, is more up to par with Mistborn 1.. And almost the entirety of Hero of Ages is awesome.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haraksha posted:

I just don't find Vin to be very interesting. I want to know more about Marsh and Sazed.

You'll learn a LOT about Sazed in Hero of Ages. Marsh too, but not as much.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Silenced Parrot posted:

So, after finding out Brandon was roommates with Ken Jennings and then reading their posts on reddit, I came across this gem:

Sanderson is awesome.

hahah that is amazing

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dramatika posted:

Is it just me or does that cover look like Dresden Files set in the 1800s?

It does, but we won't know if it's a true homage until we know who those characters are, and if they do indeed wear hats/goggles.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dramatika posted:

Jim Butcher's isn't too bad but it's there.

I don't know why I care.

Have you seen Butcher's new look versus his old? Because goddamn it's night and day.

Old And Busted:

New Hotness

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bizob posted:

Can someone post the Terry Goodkind before and after? Where he goes from looking like the worlds most pretentious stage magician to looking like a cancerous Lex Luthor?

Before

After

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

j3rkstore posted:

This dude works way too hard.

No he doesn't. I find his healthy work ethic to be refreshing!

And he's funny. Bonus points!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IRQ posted:

Mostly nobody even knows it's happening until one of the authors says something.

And this year's bracket is bananas. If you've read SoIaF, remember the difference between the Hand's Tourney and Joffrey's Tourney?

Yes, this year's tournament is a tournament of gnats. There's only one or two decent characters in the lot.

Vin, Quick Ben, Perrin Aybara...the reset are almost entirely crap. Mandorallen, really? What's he gonna do, talk Vin during a fight to the death while wearing fifty pounds of metal? Debate honor with Perrin's pack of wolves? Quick Ben would just laugh.

Riiiiight. Most of the rest are just as bad.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't remember a student massacre but the rest is spot on

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bizob posted:

Am I also remembering correctly that the Eddings universe contained a whole nation of hook nosed, rat-faced schemers who basically worshiped money and could not resist the urge to haggle about anything and everything? But it was ok, they were with the good guys.

Yes. But to be fair, every nationality/race was a stereotype unto itself.

You had your nation of Viking berserkers, your race of Jewish spies, your nation of honest farmers, your nation of drug-addict hippies, your society of tribal horse-culture nomads, and so on.

Any member of a race without a name could be swapped for any other of the same race. They were just cardboard cutouts of a character. Only the major players in the story got any sort of development at all.

I have a soft spot for Eddings' Belgariand and Mallorean books, but even I admit that they were very very cookie-cutter in their execution.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 27, 2011

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

isk posted:

I have the same soft spot since I read them when I was young, but even worse was hopping over to the Elenium and Tamuli afterwards. Same drat archetypes.

The Tamuli and Elenium just weren't as good. Archetypes everywhere was not the problem. The problem was that they were boring. I read the Elenium not too awfully long ago and I can barely remember anything about those books.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Why the hell is the Stormlight Archive £8.99 on Kindle ? That's more than a paperback and twice the common price for a kindle book.

Odds are you can find the words THIS PRICE IS SET BY THE PUBLISHER somewhere on the page.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A Nice Boy posted:

Started Mistborn, about...gently caress I have no idea how many pages in I am. Kindle edition with no page numbers. :( He just robbed the estate. Really digging it so far. You can tell it's an earlier effort by him, as the writing isn't as good as in the WoT, but it's not bad at all.

As many have said, it's refreshing to read a world where magic is so originally done. I like it.

So far, looking forward to seeing what's next!

When you're done with all three, you should read his annotations on his website. He foreshadows the ending of the series from the very beginning. It's impressive how much thought went into it.

I suppose that you could read them now, as anything not hidden by a huge, red SPOILER button is safe and won't spoiler anything that hasn't already happened. But if you're anything like me, you wouldn't be able to resist clicking those big red SPOILER buttons and then you'd be sad. So don't do it.

That fight in the estate is one he talks about specifically as being too technical and expository, but he couldn't find a better way to convey Allomancy as performed by a Mistborn in a better way.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

arioch posted:

Whatever it was however much it was it's going to be completely dwarfed by what he's going to make off of Stormlight.

Indeed.

Even if he's not making much off of the last WoT novels directly, he's earning a killing on his other books now.

I know that I'm not alone in saying that I'd never heard of the guy before he stepped up to WoT, and now I'm hooked. I now own everything he's written except Elantris. I'll get to that one, too, eventually!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A Nice Boy posted:

It'll probably lower my chances of winning, but I can't not share this:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/05/alloy-of-law-arc-sweepstakes

Thanks man

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

senae posted:

You saw those coming because he had been explaining Hemalurgy for the whole book. I liked the sense of dread that it leant to know exactly how wrong the characters were being.

I somehow never caught the earring on my first readthrough. I felt like such an idiot. It was such an obvious ploy, in retrospect, but I fell right into it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sorry, spoilers. I got the order of the books confused.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 25, 2011

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haraksha posted:

My only complaint is that sex is a normal human activity that happens all the loving time. The only time it really appeared in Mistborn, it was rape through prostitution that almost always resulted in murder. Sex is only portrayed negatively. In Way of Kings, it's the noble and honorable thing to deny sex. Yeah, this kind of thing really does happen, but there's no counterweight to it.

I think there was a brief mention of Vin and Elend doing something after they got married, but it was really subtle.

It's not just the lack of sex, it's the lack of realistic relationships between the characters.

Wheel of Time is probably not the best example, but Jordan doesn't pretend that the people don't have sex. He doesn't let his Catholic sensibilities mar his writing. The sex is barely described on the page, but it's obviously there, and it only gets weird once.

There was sex behind the scenes in Mistborn too. There were brothels mentioned all over the place, Elan and Vin certainly got it on, Spook was chasing girls, Ham is married with kids, Breeze and that one annoying noble girl were an item, one of Elan's friends was a notorious womanizer...and so on.

The negative rape/murder aspect was marked as a failing of society rather than 'sex is bad' as well.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'll hand you Ham's relationship as being "a note on his character sheet" but the rest... what do you want? I personally like sex handled with some class instead of GRRM and his Mryish swamps.

And you completely ignored the two people I mentioned who are blatantly getting it on: Breeze and that friend of Elan's whose name I can't recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Casao posted:

I finished Mistborn a few days ago, it's a really good series, and he managed to tie up pretty much everything without me feeling it was rushed or forgotten (despite thinking a few times "Jesus will you just get to X already?!)

Starting Way of Kings, can't say I enjoy it as much, but it's definitely something.

Is there a free Mobi or Epub of Warbreaker, or is it just the PDF? Anyone tried the PDF on a kindle?

You can convert the pdf to kindle format via Calibre. You might get some wonky page breaks and copyright notices (I did) but it's easy to ignore when the price is all of $0.00.