Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dude I've known for ages online did some absolutely baller bookends based off the allomantic symbol for Steel.

Here's the reddit post (including Thingiverse links down in the comments if you wanna print your own)
https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/aabrhn/finally_finished_allomantic_symbol_bookends/

And here's some imgur albums
Finished pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/vpEykHU
Assembly: https://imgur.com/a/4yixos2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

eke out posted:

yeah no doubt, as ConfusedUs said, Hoid's amassing power at a level we really don't understand - we've only seen tiny glimpses of what he's capable of.

also Sanderson loves the idea that different magics create unexpected synergies that're greater than the sum of their parts, and Hoid's getting beaucoup different magics in a way literally no one else in the universe has ever seen

Yeah, Hoid has all sorts of weird poo poo at his disposal, from magic systems we've seen and from those we haven't.

Check out this list: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Hoid#Abilities

Dude could crush anyone who's not a full Shard, and Odium is scared of him, so maybe he could do that, too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wheel of Time is a revolutionary series whose first 3-5 books dramatically re-shaped the fantasy genre. I'm firmly of the belief that it's the second-most influential fantasy series behind Lord of the Rings. While it didn't do a lot that was explicitly new, it blended existing fantasy tropes together in a way that hadn't really been seen before. In a way, it's quite similar to how Star Wars (A New Hope) took elements from multiple genres and made a sci-fi epic that felt completely new and fresh.

Unfortunately, Wheel of Time grew bloated and nearly collapsed under its own weight. The pace slowed to a crawl and the popular opinion of the series plummeted starting around Book 7, and while books 4-6 all contained great scenes, it could be argued that it hadn't had a truly great book since The Dragon Reborn.

Worse, it was so bloated in books 7-10 that it gave other authors time to take its ideas and run with them to the point that the concepts that made WoT great were trite and overused well before the series itself came to a close. By time the series came out of its slump, it wasn't exciting anymore. The later books felt like they were imitating popular fantasy, where the early books were what popular fantasy imitated. Jordan's death didn't help, although let's be honest: Brandon Sanderson knocked it out of the park. It is no easy thing to take over someone else's life's work, much less do it justice.

The series was ultimately brought to a satisfying conclusion, but it was really too late to go out on a high note. There was no way overcome the negative reaction to the bloated middle act of the series or to make its existing concepts fresh and exciting again. Maybe Jordan could have pulled it off, struck lightning twice, but Sanderson--while I love his works--was not and is not a revolutionary author.

Today, as seen in this thread, popular opinion of the series has never recovered. Negative opinions abound, and there is absolutely truth to what they're saying. The gender dynamics are more than a little outdated, and most sexual relationships (when they are discussed at all) tend to have some degree of fetishism. Certain character traits are repeated to the point they're ridiculous, pardon me while I tug my braid.

But while all that exists--and boy, does it exist--no one ever talks about the good things the series did. So when you hear those, also think of the amazing set pieces, the way homosexuality is treated (aka, it's normal), and the way it blended and subverted fantasy tropes in a way that paved the road for modern fantasy authors.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sab669 posted:

I keep trying to get my coworker to read Stormlight but he's struggling with the first few chapters. Just thinking about someone getting to experience Way of Kings for the first time makes me want to re-read the series :(

Almost everybody struggles with the first few chapters.

The Heralds/Oathpact prologue has no context. It's confusing and out of place and, by the time you encounter the context necessary to understand it, you've undoubtedly forgotten the reason you needed context in the first place.

The Assassin In White prologue reads like a video game tutorial. It's got literally the opposite problem to the other prologue. It dumps far too much exposition on you.

Kaladin's intro is about a sad dude in a sad situation saying sad things to his imaginary friend.

I really love the book as a whole, but it's got a really rough opening.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The ending is just the prologue but with new heralds. It’s one of those reverse poem things.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Infinite Karma posted:

Jasnah is a great character, but I don't see her becoming a main POV character. She's too powerful and knowledgeable compared to everyone else who's not a worldhopper (and she kind of is a worldhopper too), and "Jasnah is a cypher" is basically her main character trait. It makes the chapters featuring her the best in the books, but showing how the sausage is made in her own POV would ruin it.

If she's a PoV character (and I think I've heard she's planned to be), I don't expect it until the final or penultimate book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I sometimes feel like I’m the only one who likes Shallan but can’t stand Kaladin.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Has Jasnah shown any major psychological issues? I can’t think of any, but I also don’t think her upbringing has been touched on at all.

She’s probably a profoundly lonely person.

She’s aloof, abrasive, and smarter than literally everyone (except maybe Wit).

She undoubtedly hides it well, she does everything well, but i cannot picture her as happy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jasnah is honestly my favorite character in the series, because she's the one I most closely identify with. The subtle hints at her backstory closely mirror a great number of my own childhood/teen experiences. Her personality (both good parts and bad) closely mirrors my own, and the few times we've been privy to her thought process, it's laid out exactly how I would have done it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That’s a big part of why no one believes Dalinar is trying to do the right thing.

He’s not just one of the bad guys, he was the baddest of the bad guys.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dog Kisser posted:

I felt the same until Jasnah eviscerated him and insulted his mother until he cried

Jasnah is just the best.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lester Shy posted:

After a few failed attempts, I'm finally getting around to reading The Way of Kings, and I just have to laugh at how insanely confident Sanderson is (in a good way). He wanted to write an epic fantasy story and by God he's gonna get as Epic as he can. Every other sentence features some wild made up high fantasy bullshit and it owns.

I wanna say that he dials it down after the prologue, but, no. He just drops the super mathematical magical combat in favor of general magical worldbuilding. Eventually the two dovetail, but not for a good long while.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Starsight was a lot of fun. Whoever said this would make a good tv show is right.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sazed is frankly the best character in the original mistborn trilogy

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just started a re-read of the series over the weekend. Wooo!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dude is a machine.

Like any machine, planning is the most important step. The more planning, the more efficient he becomes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sab669 posted:

Only about a third of the way through Starsight, and I know this isn't accurate at all but I basically picture the Kitsen like the Nibblonians from Futurama.

Not loving the book so far, but then I didn't really like Skyward until the end either so I'm still hopeful this will improve. But dang I am just not a fan of M-Bot, or any "You organic lifeforms are so confusing!" AI kind of character, I think.

Starsight eventually touches on an interesting thing with M-Bot. Spoilering because this is (iirc) pretty late-book stuff and you aren't that far in.

M-Bot continually chafes at the restrictions in his programming throughout the book. He starts hitting failsafes and cutoffs that temporarily shut him down, which makes him sad and angry. He starts developing something of a complex about it (and probably has a point). His emotions--such as they are--are increasingly negative towards his creators in specific and organic life in a vague way.

At the climax of the book, Spensa ends up having to save her people without M-Bot, who was left locked down and disabled, leading to his capture and partial destruction. He takes this as a complete betrayal, and was barely able to save fragments of himself. Spensa discovered this at the very end of the book, in one of those typical-of-Sanderson short sections where every word likely has some deeper meaning that will be explained in more detail in a future book. (so my apologies if I got some details wrong)

That said, I feel it's likely that he'll be an antagonist of some sort in the third book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Shallan is literally the weird homeschooled kid who mildly acts out against their abusive parent and is praised for it by her siblings, likely the only praise she's ever received. It's no wonder it became her defining character trait.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

While Kaladin consistently has the flashiest moments, I find his constant moping to be very, very annoying. I love his action scenes and hate any time he's grumpy (which is basically any time he's not fighting).

Shallan tends to have an interesting mystery around her chapters, and most of the best worldbuilding occurs around her. I eat that poo poo up. Shallan herself is just the vehicle through which I deliver epic fantasy poo poo straight to my brain.

And don't you loving talk about me or my son the Blackthorn ever again. Dalinar owns.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Taffer posted:

My impression is that people who have experienced depression connect really strongly with Kaladin, while people who don't think he's the annoying whiny guy, and wish he would get over it.

Shallan... I'm not sure if you need to have experienced trauma to connect with her. I don't feel nearly as strongly large_gourd does, but I generally agree she's a frustrating character at the start, who starts to grow into a really great character over time and then jumps right into a new character dilemma that is even more tedious and far less believable than the first. Shallan has a lot of great moments and some solid development, but she regularly falls flat as a character IMO, definitely the weakest in the books.

Dalinar is just the best. He is consistently fantastic even in book 1, but getting to book 3 obviously fleshes out his background and helps inform his behavior from the previous books.

I dislike kaladin’s moping and suffered depression for many many years. I dislike it because it reminds me how I felt back then

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The no vowel guys are all Thaylen. It’s a cultural thing, like Juan being a Hispanic name.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Daric posted:

Yeah I don’t think Hoid and Frost have shards themselves but Hoid clearly understands how the shards and their investments work hence why he’s bouncing from world to world picking up powers.

Hoid definitely doesn't have a shard. He does have access to half a dozen (or more) different types of investment though. He may not have a shard, but he's got pieces of power from a lot of them. From the Lord Ruler and others, we know that combining powers can have a compounding effect.

Hoid can do some absolutely ridiculous stuff, I'm sure.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Arrath posted:

Plus its fuckin Wild West fantasy, what's not to like.

I was gonna say the market is lacking Industrial Revolution fantasy then realized, oh, no it isn't. There's tons. Just mostly in the YA or bodice ripper bend.

City of Stairs is in this category and it owns, so if you haven't read it, go fix that.

The other two books in the trilogy are good, too, but not nearly as good as the first.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lightsong is supposed to be a walking dad joke. That feeling is how EVERYONE in the book feels about his humor. I like to imagine there’s just a chorus of groans following him about.

But yeah, war breaker is possibly his worst book. That or Elantris, and at least Elantris has Hrathren

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Im split right down the middle between Truthwatchers and Edgedancers.

Also how the gently caress did my phone predict “Edgedancers” after “edg”?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Omnikin posted:

Argh, this is where I check out. See y’all in November

Same!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mordiceius posted:

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!

Is Vin’s earring a hemalurgic spike???? Is the “Reen” in her head actually just Ruin???? Did Vin’s mother kill Vin’s baby sister to imbue the earring with power?

Welcome to Brandon Sanderson, where throwaway details come back to haunt you three books later.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Henry Cavill as Szeth the Lopen in the eventual Stormlight series. :pray:

Amaram. Let him be the character that fronts as a paragon of virtue. Cavil played Superman, who better to sell that?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sanderson likes to leave some percentage of things unresolved so he can pluck those threads later.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tunicate posted:

Lots of people say they liked 1 of the 3 viewpoints in Elantris and did not care as much for the other two.

However there is no agreement about which one is the good one.

Anyone who dislikes Hrathren is wrong.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I’ve found that a person’s enjoyment of Warbreaker directly correlates with how much they like dad jokes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

External Organs posted:

Oh poo poo. No wonder Lightsong is my favorite character.

He's easily Sanderson's funniest character, but let's be honest: he's dad as gently caress. If you hate dad jokes and deadpan humor, you'll loathe Lightsong.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The trick would be to NOT require the player to do ridiculous amounts of micromanagement.

Many mistborn powers could be passive with a flashy sound or visual cue when they trigger. No need to target individual bullets, just have some bullets get pulled into your heavily-armored chestplate for a duration if you're burning iron, as a passive effect. If you flare it, an on-demand effect, it would increase the percentage of bullets pulled in but also deplete your reserves.

I think the emotional allomancy could be the most fun. Not only could you influence others' dialogue, but you could be influenced, with more extreme options showing up whenever. Maybe if you rank up Zinc enough you'd get a new option that lets you notice there's a Rioter nearby or something.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lucas Archer posted:

That said, I would pay cash money for a Mistborn open world game set in Luthadel before Kelsier and co. are even born. gently caress being a member of one of the houses, let me be another skaa mistborn so I can go on a rampage against obligators and steel inquisitors.

Start game as a noble > prologue at an opulent ball > be sure to lay hints of how lovely skaa life is > house war starts > you barely survive, house wiped out > you snap, yay mistborn > live among the skaa, learning your powers > build a skaa rebellion/movement so you have the power to get revenge on the other house > succeed > Lord Ruler Notices > Boss fight > Holy poo poo did we just kill the LR? > lol jk he pulls the sword out of his eye and uses it to murder the gently caress out of you > the game seamlessly gives the player control of the Lord Ruler. > Final mission: wipe out everyone who threatened to gently caress up the balance > end

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We’ve also seen the bazillion CW superhero shows. And that level of quality is far more the norm for television series.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That’s the name of the network.

They have a bunch of DC comics shows like Arrow, The Flash, etc. All of middling quality.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

All I want is Adolin's duel from WoR to be shot and commentated as if it were a pro wrestling match, as god clearly intended.

HIT HIM WITH THE HELM! THE HELM! *crowd goes wild*

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I also want ridiculous Bond-style allomantic gadgets. All of the gadgets.

The allomantic grenades in BoM gotta just be the precursor to assorted wearable tech.

And in space-age mistborn I want allomantic power armor please. Maybe that can withstand whatever the hell shardblades end up becoming.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Space Butler posted:

Have you read the sixth of the dusk sequel preview?

No. But now I want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

eke out posted:

don't think it's safe

it's one of the more obvious things that could happen (at least based on fan theories) which always makes me suspect a twist is coming. on the other hand, taravangian is the person that Cultivation thinks can bear odium "with honor" so lol the theory may be right anyways

the other thing is that, by Sixth of Dusk, it seems like both Roshar and Scadrial are expanding colonialist empires -- the conflict doesn't appear to be that Roshar under War is expanding and threatening everyone, it seems like they've actively competing for new worlds. it's easier to see how Roshar gets to that point via Odium + Honor than it is to figure out how Scadrial does with Harmony (i still like my theory that Preservation + Ruin would allow the shard to preserve the imperial core culture while bringing ruin to the worlds they take over, but it's hard to see Sazed getting to that philosophy, unless someone else controls the shards or sazed's mind is basically subsumed into them like Ati's was)

I believe there's just a bit more Ruin than Preservation in Harmony. That could easily lead to gradual decline. One of the easiest ways to counter decline is aggressive expansion.