Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mordiceius posted:

When does Elantris pick up and stop being a bunch of people standing around spouting proper nouns at each other?

Iím curious to finish this book, itís just incredible how slow it feels to start due to the split narrative format.

Elantris may be the single most back-loaded Sanderson book of all. Almost everything good in the book is in the last 10-15%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Leng posted:

Hey I actually enjoy the Shallan POVs more than mopey Kaladin POVs. But I feel like I'm the only one in this thread who does

You and me both buddy!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The big duel in WoR is my favorite scene in the series. It's also the closest thing to magic pro wrestling I've ever read. It owns so much.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Steris is amazing, I really like it when she's around. She's such an odd character in that she tells you exactly who she is, that she knows she can be offputting, and then doesn't really change much. And yet, every appearance is more entertaining than the last.

I loving lost it when she had a plan for getting kicked out of the hotel in Bands of Morning. Steris is best.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rosalie_A posted:

Those comments always annoy me because it's pretty obvious that the main point is that those characters think they're clever and witty and are trying to sound like it. Sometimes it works at being funny (because Lightsong takes pleasure in being a bit of an abrasive rear end in a top hat, especially to the other Returned), and sometimes it doesn't (Shallan basically all the time in the first two books), but the point of the characters isn't whether they're funny, it's that they're trying to be.

Like, Wayne, MeLaan, and Lopen are right there for characters who are actually funny. Sanderson knows how to write humor. I find that if a character seems like they're trying to be funny and don't hit the mark, chances are it's deliberate.

Sanderson is a systematic kind of guy. You see it in everything he does, from his writing process (which he has shared extensively) to his magic systems to, yes, his humor. I have absolutely no doubt at all that he builds his humor, and that each of those characters mentioned is just him building a dozen attempts at humor from the same blocks.

Burn iron to pull metals. Burn steel to push it. Combine them to make flight.
Do setup to build tension. Do punchline to release it. Combine them to make joke.

I'm being overly simplistic here, but I would be far more surprised if Sanderson's humor was written by some other method than if it was something like the above.

Sometimes it lands. Sometimes it doesn't. It's muddied by the fact that humor is incredibly subjective, so even when it technically meets all the requirements to be A Real Joke, it doesn't always resonate with the reader.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Leng posted:

He's addressed this in his BYU lectures, I'll see if I can find the link to the clip when I'm not phone posting.

The essence was, he tries to include multiple types of humor in the same book so that most people will find at least 1 thing that appeals to them.

That's exactly the kind of thing I was expecting! Nice to know I was right.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

External Organs posted:

I feel like Warbreaker has way better pacing than Elantris, but Lightsong is also one of my favorites because I couldn't stop hearing him in my head as Zapp Brannigan.

Lightsong immediately switched from annoying AF to one of my all-time favorites the instant I realized his constant terrible jokes are bad on purpose. You gotta respect someone who has deliberately set themselves up as the God of Dad Jokes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I believe that the rule of thumb is that has a version of Earth isnít cosmere.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love all the magi-science stuff. I'm a huge sucker for it.

Incidentally, I really liked RoW and Bands of Morning.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

eke out posted:

shohreh aghdashloo will probably be too old for navani if it ever gets filmed, but it's absolutely shohreh aghdashloo

Only if they let her curse like a sailor.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RC Cola posted:

Book 2 might be my favorite because of the pro wrestling scene though.

It even has someone running around chasing some ridiculous distraction like a cat chasing a laser pointer.

Itís so dumb and I love it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Proteus Jones posted:

While I don't think they're as good as the goon-mind makes them out to be, I definitely wouldn't wave anyone off reading them. They're OK books, just not ones I'd personally recommend.

Counterpoint: I like them a lot!

Also they have the best sex scenes ever because theyíre written as awkwardly and hilariously as possible. He tries to make them as unsexy as possible and Iím here for that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Torrannor posted:

I know a lot of people don't like Lightsong,

Those people are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DarkHorse posted:

*chuckles* you're in danger!

Yeah, now I can't picture Nightblood any other way.