Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

That's maybe the first honest sign of how seriously Amazon is taking this effort. I can't be more pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah like, y’all crazy. Mat and Perrin never stop owning. The thing is most people disproportionately weigh their internal POV when they think of that character.

Rand is actually completely scarily insane.

Perrin gripes about having his wolf powers but the problem is actually how he integrates his use of them with his human side—he doesn’t get that his senses are always true, and that no matter what he says, when the chips are down he goes to the wolf first instinctively.

And yeah Mat.

It’s the constant interplay of dramatic irony that makes the story so good.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think a new WoT thread would be good when we get actual news from when they actually start production, which I believe is slated for towards the end of this year?

In the meantime I've been hatereading the various comment threads on tor, ars, etc., for the new casting, to power my final form.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Fezz posted:

Post examples, please. :justpost: Or link a thread where you do so.

Honestly not a one of them is worth lifting up

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think it makes more sense that The Creator and The Dark One are emergent personifications of the elemental forces that power creation than that mortals can ascend to that level of existence, which is more of a Brandon Sanderson thing.

The understood metaphysics of the world of Wheel of Time is that mortals souls are woven into the weave. It makes no lick of sense whatever that a soul can be entirely unspooled into something else.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Going by recent tv history we're already ok with translating incest/pedo rape for depiction so I'm pretty sure swooning over 'light' bondage and poly harems is clutching pearls at best. Get over it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

OK, yea, I was aware of all of that. I was just expecting, y'know, something cool based on that one dude's response when I mentioned it after finishing like Book 11 or 12.

I dunno, the idea that what she gets done isn't cool is ... not cool.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

I'm down.

taishar malkier

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 4, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

But Nightblood makes a lot more sense if you've read Warbringer. And it already plays a bigger-ish role in Oathbringer.

It's ok for weird magic things to exist without explanation.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Leng posted:

From memory, most of the flight were working on drills. Spends and Brade were the ones who flew in the most, and they only tried with the illusions a few times.

Also basically this:

They had never had one of those either!

EDIT:

The next Stormlight update is on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/emxhgo/stormlight_book_four_update_7/

Wandersail!! Wandersail!! Wandersail!!

Hell yeah Rysn

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

eke out posted:

he's gonna end up accidentally writing an unanticipated entire new book due to having no public appearances to go to

He wrote at least one novella traveling to and from those events, so it's not like he needs more time or excuse.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Windrunner 76%
Edgedancer 71%
Truthwatcher 70%

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

eke out posted:

new chapters released today spoiler: "He waved to his older children—including Cord, who carried Amaram’s old Shardbow strapped to her back and wore the full set of Shardplate she’d found in Aimia."

:eyepop:

Horneater refugees?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

th3t00t posted:

I've only read Mistborn once, and it was quite a few years ago. I'm not remembering what you're referring to.

Marsh. Not so much in the first book because the Lord Ruler did not exert full mind control over the Steel Inquisitors, but later on when Ruin took over everything affected by Hemalurgy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 11, 2020

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

th3t00t posted:

Ah, I see. You could then make the argument the Parshendi/Listeners being under mind control of Odium are the same as the Inquisitors/those affected by Hemalurgy being under mind control by Ruin and did he really need another species under mind control of a shard in the Cosmere?

Kinda, however Marsh was never really a main POV character, though he got some at key moments, so Eshonai could've been an improvement there. But oh well.

Also it's not like there's not some other characters still stuck in that same rut right now, like the kandra.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Xenix posted:

I don't really think it does, though. While we haven't seen many Radiants that didn't have mighty struggles, I'm sure not all of them are as broken as Kaladin and Shallan. I mean, just look at Lopen.

Keeping in mind Shallan had bonded Pattern before basically all of her major trauma.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah remember she had Pattern and had sworn her oath before any of the flashbacks we've seen her in thus far.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

I'm wondering if the different orders get plate and blade at different ideals.

We do know this. Shallan got her blade right away, Kaladin's waited until 3rd Oath, Szeth might not get one through Skybreaker Oaths (I haven't read anything from book 4 yet), and Stormfather says he's not going to be a shardblade for Dalinar at all.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Really, yeah, that Venture ball immediately followed by the fountain square kicks off a ride of a final act that I don't think he's topped since.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd put Hero of Ages 2nd, but seeing all of the stuff that clicked in to place was great.

My second in his work is probably Words of Radiance.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Edit: I’m still waiting for this earring to be important.

hoo boy

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Can't even comment on that list of assumptions and expectations except to say "hoo boy" again.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

I still think my favorite, most hype moment of the novel was the showdown with Shan. I was hootin. I was hollerin. It was escalated to be perfectly hype. I feel like Sanderson didn't miss any opportunities for poo poo to be cool.

The Stormlight Archives is like that but even more so, so if that's where you're headed next ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

So I see people mention the Cosmere - that's like Sanderson's loosely connected universe, right? The Sanderverse? Obviously as an obsessive dork, I'm going to have to read everything.

Should I go in release order (in which case I already missed Elantris) or just series order? I was thinking of doing Mistborn 1-3, then going to Elantris, then Wax and Wayne, then Stormlight.

There's a ton of intricacy in how everything is connected, though there's usually not a lot of immediate plot relevance. Mostly reading one series will alert you to how underlying things Really Work when you come across a similar thing in another series. As of Book 4 of Stormlight Archives we may be getting some crucial curtains pulled back, though. I have not been following the chapter pre-releases.