Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Oh hey what's up this thread became the Brandon Sanderson megathread I've been waiting for.

Currently rereading the Mistborn trilogy since I got a few of my friends to pick it up and want to be fresh on it all when they hit major reveals/plot twists and come to me all like :aaa:. I'm so excited for their minds to be blown.

I told myself I wouldn't start the Stormlight Archive until after The Wheel of Time was completely finished, so I know he has the time to dedicate primarily to Stormlight, but I'm probably going to fail at that because drat I want to read more Sanderson. He really is great, I love how accessible he is to his fans, and his book annotations are so awesome -- if you're at all interested in the writing process I highly recommend reading them all after you finish the respective books. I blew through all the Mistborn annotations the day after I finished the trilogy and they were almost as engrossing as the books themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

I think Sanderson flat out said in some annotations somewhere that they aren't coming back. At least, Vin, Elend and Kelsier aren't. He *has* said that it's possible for Sazed, Marsh or TenSoon to appear in later books, but I am fairly sure he outright specifically said that Vin, Elend and Kelsier won't be back.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author and poo poo like that is the reason why. It's not just that he writes good books. He's just a cool dude. :3:

It's a shame he hasn't done any events anywhere near here since I discovered this fact. I'd love to go to a signing of his or something.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Bizob posted:

Am I also remembering correctly that the Eddings universe contained a whole nation of hook nosed, rat-faced schemers who basically worshiped money and could not resist the urge to haggle about anything and everything? But it was ok, they were with the good guys.

It's ok because the best character in the entire series was their prince :v:

Also I just finished reading The Way of Kings and now I'm gonna go back to the beginning of this thread and relish the theories and speculations I hope are hidden behind all the spoilertext to help fill the void between now and whenever the next Stormlight book comes out.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I didn't quite catch it, but I towards the end I noticed that the chapter bumps from Hero were pretty similar to Sazed's speaking style.

It's even better when you listen to the audiobook because the guy reads all the Hero of Ages bits literally in Sazed's voice.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

I enjoyed them quite a bit. Michael Kramer did a great job and I loved his voices for pretty much all the characters. Even though he sort of did give Elend Kelsier's voice. it's not like Kelsier was going to be needing it anymore by the time Elend becomes a major character :v:

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

BannedNewbie posted:

And the voice he does for Breeze is really amazing, it somehow perfectly captures his personality in every line.

Yeah Breeze and Sazed in particular are very well done I think.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

BananaNutkins posted:

I always got a really anime-y feeling from Sanderson's books, ESPECIALLY Mistborn. It didn't hurt my appreciation of it, but it was easier to picture in my head that way.

Yeah same, and the worst/best scene for this is undoubtedly when Vin (book 2) comes flying out of the loving sky to cut Straff and his horse in half out of nowhere. There are a few other moments (most battle scenes) but that one in particular is what I always think of when people make "Mistborn is an anime" comments.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Is that an anime thing? I thought that was just awesome and I don't watch anime at all.

It's just something that would not be out of place in a generic fight anime. I still enjoyed it in the book, but then again, I have literally no opinion on the "IS ANIME GOOD" debate goons are always having. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

To get away from the anime debate a bit, I think Sanderson personally refers to it as "cinematic writing," where he tends to write the way he imagines a movie would portray the scene, and as a result his descriptions evoke crazy, arguably over the top visual images (Vin flattening Kredik Shaw and flying into the stratosphere is the specific scene he uses as an example.) He has an entire annotation on that chapter where he ruminates on whether his writing might be different if he hadn't grown up with ready access to so much visual media.

So yes, everything is explained and his magic systems and rulesets are awesome, but the exaggerated crazy poo poo that happens is very anime-esque on the surface. That's all I was saying. :)