Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
A great first book. I loved the various magic systems. All of them seemed so different and distinct. The world seems very full of life. I liked it better than Mistborn, which had great cities, but ignored the countryside.

Kaladin's flashback chapters were a bit too numerous, and seemed it could have been compressed, but everything else was fine. Kaladin and Syl reminds me of Guts and Puck in Berserk.

Also, it's interesting that Shallan is the one that has a shardblade. Wonder if she's going to learn to use it or give it to someone else. Can't wait for the next book. Between this and the end of Wheel of Time, Sanderson is just pumping out good books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

subx posted:

Just for reference I think those guys in the first chapter were something that came before the Knights Radiant.

I'm guessing they were the Heralds. Dying and being reborn each time the voidbringers threaten until they gave up.

L-O-N fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 23, 2010

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

IRQ posted:

Yeah I'm sure the ancient Chinese had a different word for earth than the Romans too...

I think we may just all have to agree to disagree; you guys are dead set against the idea that they're the same world, but your arguments aren't at all convincing.

Interview

quote:

Q: You’ve said that Shadesmar is the cognitive realm connecting all the worlds in the cosmere, and that Hoid is very good at using Shadesmar. Should we take this to mean Shadesmar is how he travels between the worlds? Do the other worlds have different ways of accessing Shadesmar than the way(s) the people of Roshar use?

A: Yes.

This pretty much confirms that they are on different worlds.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I can forgive him for that in the first book of a ten book series since they might show up in later books.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Hasn't he said before that after AMoL he would try to do one Stormlight Archive book every year and another book in between them every two years?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Lascivious Sloth posted:

But I think in that scene with the other shard bearer saying "It's you!" he was talking about when Dalinar saved Sadeas and nearly killed the other shard bearer (which I assume was the one saying "I finally found you!"

The Parshendi shardbearer never appeared in the battle where he saved Sadeas. In the battle the shardbearer appeared, he arrived to late to join the battle. Also, the scene doesn't seem like the Parshendi shardbrearer was saying "I have found you, my foe at last." Otherwise why bother speaking in Alethi or letting Dalinar live?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
One of the main purpose of Kaladin's story is about giving a view into lives of the common people and dark eyes. Without it, all you have it Shallan and Dalinar's light eyes perspectives. Plus, Kaladin's crew all seem very interesting as well.

It also ties nicely into Dalinar's story since both are taking place in the same time and place.

Shallan's always felt the most disjointed since it seemed to have no tie in to the main plot other than a few snippets.

I do like all the characters, though, and thought that Kaladin's plot's climax was pure awesome.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
quote!= edit

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

drat, I saw 30 new posts and had hoped they had announced a publication date for Stormlight 2

The first draft is 83% finished so we'll probably see a release date by the end of the month.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Loved Steelheart. The only thing that bothered me was the use of "Sparks" in place of a swear. It doesn't bother me in his fantasy books, but in a book that's like the modern world, it does. Yea, I know it's because he's Morman and can't swear but it still bothers me.

The word that takes me out of his fantasy books is the use of "Awesome".

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Kwyndig posted:

It's more that it is a YA novel than anything else.

Really? Because I can't recall any swearing in any of his other books either.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Warbreaker also has an audioplay version that I thought was pretty decent. Comes with its own sound effects.

http://www.graphicaudio.net/catalog/category/view/s/warbreaker-fantasy/id/73/

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Words of Radiance now has a revised wallpaper(cover?), with Kaladan's spear pointed up instead of being leaned on. I like it, looks more dynamic.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/01/download-the-revised-words-of-radiance-wallpapers

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Aren't all of Sanderson's ebooks drm free?

I've bought them from Barnes and Noble and they didn't have drm.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Was that Nightblood there at the end? How the hell?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Velius posted:

On that note, why didn't Amaram just grab the Honorblade and pretend-radiant with it? If he's part of some weird secret society venerating the Heralds, and he's willing to pretend to be a radiant for Dalinar (which was totally random), why not go all the way?

It is theorized that Wit switched the Honorblade with a normal Shardblade.

Ending: Looks like Nightblood is called a Shardblade. I guess Shardblades are generic terms for weapons made of Splinters?

I'm very excited for book 3 as it looks like the Radiants are going back the old people who knew them before they were Radiants. Kalladin going to his parents and Roshone and Laral. Shallan's brothers coming to her. Dalinar going back to Kholinar. It's one reason I liked The Shadow Rising so this will be exciting as well

Also, after looking at how similar the word Kalladin is to Shallan and Dalinar (L, 2 A's,and N), no wonder people think Kalladin is a light eye's name.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

adhuin posted:

Anyone else thought that There were way too many "He/She/It "died", but is actually alive?
This is making me believe that Highprince Sadeas will return in book 3.

There is no way. After all, Nalan went out of his way to say that brain damage is something that can't be repaired, and Adolin went out of his way to stab Sadeas though the brain.

End of book: Anyone think Kaladin will use the Honorblade to heal Hobber?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Shakugan posted:

It does, but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as WoK for the same reason I suspect you won't; I just don't like Shallan as a character and suspect I never will, though I do like Pattern much more than Syl. It's just hard to like a character based upon Sanderson humour. It doesn't matter that there might or might not be plot reasons or lampshades about why Shallan isn't funny or that people pretend to find her funny or whatever because the end result is the same, that she's horribly unfunny and half her dialogue is cringeworthy "jokes". This is such a widely held view (I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of readers actively disliked Shallan after reading WoK) I'm actually shocked that he took the chance on making a Shallan focused book so soon. Even though this book explains a lot about Shallan, I don't think it really changes much about whether or not people actually like her. In fact, practically every review I read said something like "how you view Shallan will change, but you still won't like her".

At least the Shallan book is out of the way I guess.

Guess I'll have to disagree. Shallan being out and about doing her own thing made her a much more compelling character to read and strengthened the book a lot over TWOK. I would skip over a lot of her chapters in the first book in re-reads, but here I loved her Metal Gear Shallan chapters. Also her flashbacks are magnitudes better than Kalladin's.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pattern had some hilarious moments, and I thought Shallan pretending to be a horneater was pretty funny.

Fair to Midland posted:

What really bothers me about Sanderson's writing (Besides his horrible character/place naming and humor) is he never adds things that would give a bit of weight to a scene. When Kaladin and Shallan had to survive in the chasm, half the text was his stupid loving dad humor. Why not be serious and add some gravity to the situation?

We're two 1,000ish page books in, does anyone give a poo poo about any of the characters? Kaladin is a whiny jackass most of the book, he's a carbon copy of BS's Perrin in Wheel of Time. If the whole world blew up in the beginning of book 3 would anyone care?

Also how many times can you call a storm a tempest before your editor grows the balls to tell you to pick up a thesaurus?

e: He's a good YA author, but if you're expecting Malazan/WOT/GRRM level fantasy I'd lower expectations.

Nope, nobody gives a poo poo. All those posts before discussing the books and characters are just illusions.

Seriously though, I'm certainly looking forward to Skybreaker more than The Winds of Winter. Some if it is certainly because I know Skybreaker will be coming out soon while who knows when TWOW will.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Wolpertinger posted:

Sanderson did a pretty good job at making a really weird world that's pretty much nothing like earth, and it adds a lot to Way of Kings.

Not just that, but he made enough cultures, places, and histories to make it seem like a real world. Which was something that was missing with his previous books.

Perhaps working on the Wheel of Time give him more experience in doing so.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I've tried reading Malazan 3 times and I always give during Midnight Tides because it just whips out a new set of characters that I have no investment in compared to the great character built up during the first 4 books. I know the 6th book continues with the main story line, but I want to finish the 5th book, which kills all my interest. The 2nd and 3rd book are some of my favorites in fantasy, but the 5th book is just a showstopper.

L-O-N fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 21, 2015

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I'm looking forward to seeing Kaladin go back home. Seeing how the common people actually react to the Knight Radiant after hundreds of years of thinking they were demons is going to be interesting. The end of book 2 doesn't quite count since Dalinar prepped the people there about the Knights Radiant. How Laral will see him after he is now technically a Lighteyes will be interesting as well, especially since she wanted Kaladin to go to war to become a Lighteyes.

It'll also be an interesting contrast with Shallan, who's family is coming to her.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

Based on what happened to the one armed Herdazian at the end of the second book, I don't think you necessarily have to be born as a radiant. I think you can, given time and training, become one. Not saying it's going to happen, but I can see him working with the nascent Radiants enough that he starts to learn from them and gets a spren.

Windrunners can have squires, and they can use stormlight also, though less well. This is shown in the only Dalinar vision in book 2. Not saying you have to be born a radiant, but what happened to Lopen is different.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

How's what happened to him different from the other Bridge Four members who suddenly began using Stormlight during the battle with the Stormforms at the end of book 2? They can't all be squires to Kaladin and there's no reason Lopen (and the rest of them) couldn't be a radiant. We already know the king is one even though nobody in the story has realized it yet.

There's nothing that says a Windrunner can only have one squire. At the end of Dalinar's vision,

quote:

Dalinar finished repeating the words. Beyond him, the fight began in earnest, water splashing, rock grinding. Soldiers approached bearing hammers, and unexpectedly, these men now also glowed with Stormlight, though far more faintly.

While there could have been more than one Knight Radiant at the lake for the squires, we only saw one and that's my interpretation. A Winderrunner can have an entire squad of squires.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Subvisual Haze posted:

Based on the responses from the world to the everstorm in the preview chapters I think we can conclude that the everstorm is not changing parshmen en masse into voidbringers as Dalinar thought. Dalinar thinks the Kings of the world are being stubborn in not responding immediately to him, and Kaladin notices only physical injuries in his village as one would expect from a natural disaster alone. For whatever reason the everstorm is not mass converting parshmen yet. Maybe Odium is purposefully delaying things to make Dalinar look like a quack? Maybe the conversion is voluntary and not all Parshmen are embracing it just yet?

It could be that they are not attacking but gathering first.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Subvisual Haze posted:

I don't know, Kaladin's parents seemed surprisingly okay with Brightlord Roshone. His mother seemed to imply that he has changed, and his parents could have left that town at any point but chose not to. I'm going to guess that Roshone, while not a very good person, was put up to a lot of the evil things that he did by Amaram or some other higher lord.

Regardless of whether the bad stuff Roshone did at Kolinar was at the behest of others, the bad stuff he did at Hearthstone was 100% on him. I doubt any important Lighteyes cared about what happened at a little town like that.

insider posted:

Oathbringer 1-6 spoilers: Wow you called this pretty perfectly. Now watch him be arrested for 75% of the book because he can't get any stormlight to use his powers.

Kaladin would wipe the floor with Roshone's guards, even without summoning Syl. I doubt he would need to, though. He probably has a writ from Dalinar and Elhokar outlining his position and authority.

It's pretty funny how when Kaladin first saw Roshone, he thought Roshone was a curt Warrior. And now:

now posted:

Roshone wore a lighteyes’ coat that was several seasons out of fashion—Adolin would have shaken his head at that.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I thought she was fine in WOR, since she actually got to do stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Tinydryad posted:

Folks, I've got a theory about Dalinar's memories and my husband is a whole book behind so here we go:

Dalinar asked the Nightwatcher to erase his memories of his wife, but my thought is that he didn't specify by name. So now that he's married Navani, the memories of his dead wife are coming back. (Timeline not confirmed, can anyone remember when he first started remembering?) My theory is that he will start forgetting Navani.

Thoughts?

PS: This Wheel of Time talk is making me want to reread

No, because the Nightwatcher did not erase his memories, Cultivation did. Cultivation specifically said that the boon is to help him become a better person, but will return his memories later to make sure Odium could not return his memories at the worst time.