Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karter705
Sep 20, 2004
I HAD TO SPEND $10 TO TELL THIS DUDE HIS IDEAS ABOUT DOG BREEDING ARE RETARDED BECAUSE ~*HUG ISLAND*~
Just finished this; what a great book. I really like the world and I'm interested to see where Sanderson takes it. If any of you guys haven't read it yet, I recommend it (assuming you like fantasy). It didn't draw me in quite as thoroughly as Game of Thrones or Eye of the World, but it was pretty close.

Neep posted:

I just finished the book and of the two reveals right at the end. I totally buy one and hope the other isn't what it is made out to be. Being book one of ten, I'm game for anything.

The reveal I buy: Dalinar's visions being from the one they call The Almighty

The one I hope is wrong: I hope the Parshendi aren't Voidbrjngers or as evil as they're made to sound in the histories. They seem just like another people trying to survive

There is something odd about the Parshendi, though; it seems like the assassination of King Galivar was meant to fracture and distract the Alethi, so that they are not prepared for the Desolation. As far as we know, the only thing that benefits from that is the voidbringers, which leads me to believe that Jasnah is at least somewhat correct.

I don't think that she is right about humans enslaving the parshmen, though; it seems more likely that the Parshendi have some kind of hive mind and that the parshmen simply lost their 'queen,' which is why the Parshendi said they had no music. Seems a bit cliche, so I'm sure there is more to it than the obvious; especially since this is a ten book series.

I'm totally looking forward to the showdown between Kaladin and Szeth in book two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karter705
Sep 20, 2004
I HAD TO SPEND $10 TO TELL THIS DUDE HIS IDEAS ABOUT DOG BREEDING ARE RETARDED BECAUSE ~*HUG ISLAND*~

thecallahan posted:

In response to your first paragraph

I don't have the book in front of me so I'm going to totally ruin the spelling. I thought the king of Kharbdrumn (the place where Jasnah and Shallan are) was responsible for that. Didn't he tell Szeth that he's always been his master?

I will have to read that section again. I was under the impression that he only became his master towards the end, after the bandit dude. The thing is, the king of Kharaband or whatever seemed to imply he was using Szeth to stabilize the world to prepare for the Desolation; this does not mesh with the assassination of Galivar. Then again, it doesn't mesh with his order to kill Dalinar, either.

Karter705
Sep 20, 2004

Rianeva posted:

I'll check this again, but I'm pretty sure that the king of Kharbranth is trying to tear down every other seat of power in the area, so that he (or maybe someone else) can take control and build it all back stronger. Dalinar's a threat to his plan because he's going to try to unite the Alethi highprinces, making Alethkar even more powerful than it was when Gavilar died.

If that is his plan, it is beyond stupid. Just sayin'

Karter705
Sep 20, 2004
I just re-read the last Szeth chapter and I am still not sure if it is implied that King Taravangian was responsible for the assassination of Gavilar. Szeth just says "You were always him, my unseen master," and when he asks why, Taravangian says that it wasn't for vengeance and some of his good friends were on the list. To me, this implies that Taravangian was always the unseen master behind the list (even though his name was on it), but it doesn't necessarily mean he was responsible for Gavilar's death, because the Parshendi were Szeth's masters before he had even an unseen master. I could see it going either way, especially since Taravangian wants to kill Dalinar to prevent him from seizing control of the Alethi.

Bah, I am rambling. I just don't think that Taravangian is working with the Parshendi, so it doesn't make sense for the Parshendi to take credit for Gavilar's assassination if Taravangian were behind it. I guess we will see in three years :(