Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
I'm about 3/4th's of the way done with the second Mistborn books an am enjoying it so far. But I just read the outline for Way of Kings on B&N and couldn't he have picked main characters a little different than what he's used before? I mean, I'll probably still read it since I'm enjoying his writing and style but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Karter705 posted:

Just finished this; what a great book. I really like the world and I'm interested to see where Sanderson takes it. If any of you guys haven't read it yet, I recommend it (assuming you like fantasy). It didn't draw me in quite as thoroughly as Game of Thrones or Eye of the World, but it was pretty close.

There is something odd about the Parshendi, though; it seems like the assassination of King Galivar was meant to fracture and distract the Alethi, so that they are not prepared for the Desolation. As far as we know, the only thing that benefits from that is the voidbringers, which leads me to believe that Jasnah is at least somewhat correct.

I don't think that she is right about humans enslaving the parshmen, though; it seems more likely that the Parshendi have some kind of hive mind and that the parshmen simply lost their 'queen,' which is why the Parshendi said they had no music. Seems a bit cliche, so I'm sure there is more to it than the obvious; especially since this is a ten book series.

I'm totally looking forward to the showdown between Kaladin and Szeth in book two.

In response to your first paragraph

I don't have the book in front of me so I'm going to totally ruin the spelling. I thought the king of Kharbdrumn (the place where Jasnah and Shallan are) was responsible for that. Didn't he tell Szeth that he's always been his master?

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

treeboy posted:

and also what happened to the other Heralds. Are they immortal? did they go somewhere?

I'm guessing they're alive (immortal) and perhaps some are behind the scenes, pulling strings as they might have gone off the deep end. You never know, that guy who's Szeth's master might be one of them. Regardless, it's going to be a long wait for the next one to come out.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Natural Joe posted:

So rereading the book I noticed a few things I think will become important later on: When Dalinar has a vision of Nohadon (The guy who wrote the book) he mentions the 'Nahel bond' which is a source of power. Given that the creatures Shallan interacts with refer to her as having a bond, I think that is what is going on there.

The other thing is that Elohkar is said to be paranoid and mentions seeing creatures with horrible symbols for heads- the same thing that Shallan sees. So maybe he has the same power too.

Interesting point about the second thing! It makes total sense when looking at it too, given whom the relatives are. I'll definitely have to re-read the book sometime in the new year as I love picking up stuff like this on subsequent reads. I always read stuff so fast but it's because I want to find out what happens and I tend to miss stuff like this. It happens every time and I never learn.

thecallahan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 14, 2010

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

The man is a machine!

After I finish reading Savages I think I might go re-read at least the first Mistborn book and read the commentary. Is it best to read a chapter, then read the the commentary or should I read a few chapters before reading commentary? I want to make sure it flows right (if that makes any sense).

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Well I've read the series already so I don't need to worry about spoilers. And IRQ, I can't quite 100% agree with your statement but it's close!

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Jorenko posted:

(HoA)Sazed gets better right at the end of course, but he's a tedious, repetitious bore of ridiculous depression for 90% of the book.

Jorenko answered first but that was whom I was thinking about. And I'd up the percentage to about 98%.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Great, another time sink will be coming out this holiday season. Can't wait though, I'm really curious to see how the powers meld with a more modernish setting.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but was Elendel founded on the land where Sazed saved everyone and let them come out of those caves at the end of the Mistborn trilogy? Also, great catch about whom the Lord Mistborn was, it makes sense though with Spooks speech pattern showing up.

I was rather impressed with how Sanderson worked in the physics of allomancy into a more modern setting and was shocked how much a coinshot could do along with the ironmind feruchemy. I loved Vin and Elend but it was cool to see a POV with someone who didn't have all those powers and had to work with limitations.

Quick question about the ending though: Why do you think those women were kidnapped, was it like Wax and crew though, were they going to use them for breeding more allomancers? If so that's a very long term plan. I was thinking someone found out about hemalurgy and they were going to be used for that in some capacity.

Also, how the gently caress do you get koloss blood in you? I just shudder thinking about those pairings.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Here's an interview with Sanderson talking about Alloy of Law, a nice little read. http://nethspace.blogspot.com/2011/11/interview-brandon-sanderson.html. I find it interesting that he'll most likely do a direct sequel to Alloy but he might also decide to address the ending in the eventual modern day Mistborn trilogy. I do like the idea of him doing a quick book like Alloy between his other releases in the Stormlight Archives.

thecallahan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 18, 2011

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Popular Human posted:

Just finished Alloy of Law. It was an awesome little bite-sized Mistborn novel, left me wanting a new trilogy in this setting. Did anybody else get the impression that the crazy guy in the prologue was burning atium?

:monocle:

And here I thought I caught everything in the book, teaches me not to pay attention for even the prologue in a book. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, he tried a "Staggered Avalanche" in Hero of Ages, had a minor relapse in Way of Kings, but it looks like he finally figured out how to do a properly paced "normal" climax on his own terms.

What was the avalanche in Kings? The only thing I can think of is at the very end you learn who the Parshendi really are/were and I guess Szeth's master. anything else I thought was rather blatantly shown earlier

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Last I checked robbing a train was bad, how are they innocent? If you don't want to be shot at, don't be a criminal. And the Vanishers were about to start shooting and murdering people at the party, Wax and Wayne just beat them to the punch. Why do you think the cop deserved to be shot for telling a criminal he was going to do his job? I'm a bit confused at that reasoning. And you seem to forget in that last firefight they had Wax's fiance and that gunsmith, just because they were already kidnapped doesn't mean they should be forgiven for the act

I know you're not trolling but it really feels like you are, no one else I've heard talk about the book has this same view as yours and I'm just at a loss for words for it.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

syphon posted:

I don't quite understand the Kaladin hate (maybe 'hate' is a strong word) I'm seeing here. When reading WoK, I actually skipped the Shallan and Dalinar chapters to see what happened next with Kaladin. He was my favorite character by far!

Although admittedly, I skipped some of the flashbacks parts, since the way the story was written, I knew exactly what was going to happen in them (with the exception of finding out Kaladin had a chance at a shardblade and turned it down, only to get screwed over).

In relation to your spoiler: He actually turned down the shardplate as well.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

I'd love to get the Abercrombie books but only the third is in stock, not just going to buy one of the trilogy after all. I'll keep my out eye out though for any Locke Lamora or Sanderson releases.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Aggro posted:

I just realized that once I finish Legion, I've completely demolished my backlog of fantasy novels, and Abercrombie's next book doesn't come out until mid-October. Argh.

I finished Warbreaker about an hour ago. I really can't get enough of Sanderson's avalanches. I absolutely loved the last few Lightsong chapters, with dramatic realizations, a poorly-planned rescue, and deus-ex-Lightsong.

Have you read Raven's Shadow Book One: Blood Song (Raven's Shadow) by Anthony Ryan? Great first time book by an author who self published through Amazon. Only 3 bucks on the kindle. Now granted, I'm only about 2/3rds of the way through it but I'm really enjoying it.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

I really need to read Way of Kings again, I'm apparently a blithering idiot and missed a ton of stuff.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

That's how I originally purchased WoK so no need for me to take advantage of that sale. I just have so many new things to read I don't know where I'll fit this re-read in, I'm the type of person who can only read one book at a time as well

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

soru posted:

I recently re-read Way of Kings and it was really worth it. All the Cosmere-related stuff that I missed the first time really stood out, and a lot of the twists that caught me off guard the first time are telegraphed way way ahead of time. Even simple things like Shallan's shardblade are really obvious.

That's actually the one thing I picked up the first time through, rather early on. Now, the other stuff, not so much but granted, the only Sanderson I've read (and loved) has been his Mistborn stuff.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Do we have any idea if Subterranean Press will be doing Way of Kings releases? I'd really love to get in the ground floor of the series as I'm wishing I knew of the place when Abercrombie's stuff was first coming out (mainly because I really dig the trilogy covers)

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

I might have to make time for a re-read of WoK but I might have to hold off as I just started the Malazan series but I'll definitely read it before the second book comes out. I think enough time will have passed and I look forward to picking up some of the stuff people have been chatting about here. Of course the re-read will make me wish the next book was all about Dalinar, dude is boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

elmer fud posted:

In the last week I bought and read steel heart, legion, rithmitic, and emperors soul. Someone give me more Sanderson before I die. Also is dune any good?

Amazon tricked me, I went to the Kindle main page and under the New to You option they showed Words of Radiance and I about shat a brick, thinking it was somehow available but no, just a pre-order... And yes, buy the first Dune book, it's awesome and I wish I could find another book like it. I've found a few things close to it but Dune just hits all the right spots for me.. And if you have a question about the sequels, the general rule of thumb I've seen people offer and I agree with; keep reading until you don't like it anymore but at the least don't read anything written by his son.