Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Cross-posting from the Rothfuss thread, but everyone's favorite writing cyborg sat down for a dual-interview type thing with Pat Rothfuss which can be found here Lots of interesting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Richard K Morgan looks normal, although to be fair he has only written one "fantasy" novel so perhaps the need to grow a beard is something that happens later.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Can someone post the Terry Goodkind before and after? Where he goes from looking like the worlds most pretentious stage magician to looking like a cancerous Lex Luthor?

VVVV
Thanks, that puts a smile on my face every time.

Bizob fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 17, 2011

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Dramatika posted:

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/972/Suvudu-Cage-Match-Vin-vs.-Zeddicus-Zul-Zorander

Apparently in the fantasy character cage match, Vin is up against Zedd of Sword of Truth fame. Brandon wrote how he thought the match would end up, and also reminded me why he's probably my favorite author at the moment. Nice jab at Goodkind. I'm not gonna spoil it, but it's AWESOME.

I think the GRRM thread is ruining me, but I honestly thought (given Goodkind) that Vin would at some point almost be sexually assaulted.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

ConfusedUs posted:

Vin, Quick Ben, Perrin Aybara...the reset are almost entirely crap. Mandorallen, really? What's he gonna do, talk Vin during a fight to the death while wearing fifty pounds of metal? Debate honor with Perrin's pack of wolves? Quick Ben would just laugh.

Holy poo poo, I hadn't thought about the Belgariad / Mallorean for years. Am I remembering correctly that the 2nd trilogy not only shamelessly repeats the first, but has some really regressive sexual / social politics? Like wasn't there a scene in which the protagonist is in the capital city of what had heretofore been the evil empire, hanging with the emperor (who it turns out, hey, is a cool dude) and there is some kind of student revolt? Then the emperor has all the students massacred, and the protagonist thinks "what a good idea. Those whiny students thought they wouldn't have to suffer the consequences, but he sure showed them."

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Am I also remembering correctly that the Eddings universe contained a whole nation of hook nosed, rat-faced schemers who basically worshiped money and could not resist the urge to haggle about anything and everything? But it was ok, they were with the good guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

fordan posted:

It's not out in mass market paperback yet, that's end of May. It's cheaper that the Dec 30 2010 paperback that's up on amazon.co.uk for 9.69. I'd expect the price on the Kindle flavor to drop around May 26 or so.

Has anybody compared the Kindle version to the print version, specifically around the interior art? I've only done the audiobook so far and was looking to see some of the art inside the book people have spoken about...

I haven't compared it, but the Kindle version does have alot of art in it, mostly in between chapter breaks.