Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Arkeus posted:

Truly magical.

Anyway, as for GRRM i don't think all of us think any characters can die at any time (I am pretty drat sure quite a lot are completely safe, and those who dies are usually not his obvious favorites), while with Sanderson he does tend to kill off his favories.

You're a loving crazy person, a main pov character for five books dies in book five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm rereading elantris and holy poo poo is the dialogue and expository narration terrible. I picture every character turning towards a camera with a sly grin after each line.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I can't remember the author off the top of my head but the engineer trilogy, first book devices and desires, had lots of furniture building as well

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Hrathen is the dopest

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I wanna make an MMO where Saitama is a race, but they can't loot equipment

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I got the impression that Trell is a world level force who exists on scadrial but does not influence the Cosmere but Bran San is n2bad at misdirection

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'd have to say that after 3 books Dalinar is by far my favorite character. Most interesting, most complex, best arc(s)... The Blackthorn is just SO BRUTAL and current day Dalinar so different and they are still totally the same person.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It would have been dope for the prologue to be Sadeas instead.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The ones where he read books he didn't like for days and then posted 2000 word literary critiques with comparisons to other works are the effort posts, hth

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
As someone who does enjoy reading it, it very much seems like the entire Cosmere values quantity over quality. He doesn't seem to be writing a 50 book epic because he has 50 books worth of content, he just thinks it would be really cool to write a 50 book epic. It also sort of seems to assume you've read every book all of the time, even the ones from later on in the same series, possibly because he's plotted out this epic in his head and lives in it too much.

I'd imagine it's also a pretty unique challenge to try to edit these books as he writes them if he doesn't provide them with some sort of framework or reference materials. "No, this is an important reference to call back to in book 32!"

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's kind of interesting that sanderson considered that his magic driven class system would also be affected by "random mutation." I feel like in a lot of stories the magical caste system would just always follow magic rules.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

RC Cola posted:

He was slightly less bad than sadeas

Basically only recently, when he went crazy

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Anshu posted:

The two main trilogies, yes. I haven't yet read any of the side stories like Secret History. (Was it supposed to be a twist reveal that the "Lord Ruler" had actually been Kelsier? Because I had a feeling almost the whole time. Same thing with the twist in Shadows of Self: as soon as Bleeder was noted to be wearing Lessie's body, I knew what was coming.)

I guess I'll look for the Mistborn sidestories, then start on the Stormlight Archive.

In the trilogies he is very clearly not.

The side books don't change that, but they do illuminate a few other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've always thought Hoid was adjacent to the shattering and didn't hold his own shard, but has knowledge of all of it.