Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it sounds like an inverse isekai, where things keep coming into our world to kill this nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is sanderson prudish or does he just not personally write horny very much? there is a difference

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Taffer posted:

Probably a bit of both. I personally like that he doesn't write horny and it's a great contrast to so much scifi/fantasy that has the authors horrible sex fantasies shoved in awkwardly and often. People posting about Wot in this thread all the time is a strong reminder of that.

But he's also seems to very actively avoid any talk of attraction or desire and doesn't even make allusions to sex (e.g. something starting between two characters and then a scene change with the obvious implication that they did it). This makes me think he is fairly prudish - which generally I'm okay with but it does leave some characters feeling flat sometimes, particularly when there's supposed to be some romance between them.

Ironically one of the exceptions to this is Dalinar and Navani, two of the oldest characters in TSA. Dalinar can't stop fantasizing about Navani and how hot she is and how good she smells. Maybe Sanderson has a thing for older women or something.

see the distinction i'm trying to draw is whether he would be opposed to it happening at all, which i don't think there's much evidence of, but that's me kind of splitting hairs. dodging writing it out or alluding to it himself is just 'unhorny,' i guess, if he were collaborating and putting the kibosh on other people doing it then we're in legit prude territory

but i might also be putting stronger negative connotations on prude than you are

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

personally i get really excited when i see a cast full of unknowns and wish it happened more often. you get a bunch of people hungry enough that aren't so established that they've maybe built up a bunch of weird habits and they can really throw themselves into a project

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah for all that the game of thrones project went spiralling down a hole it made a lot of careers for people who just didn't exist before it started. especially ned's actor, i think he has a lot of long-running roles with long lives ahead of him

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i like the character of lift but the writing style shift when she's the viewpoint is grating to me

it might have to do with me experiencing her first through an audiobook and the narrator took on a kind of... breathless tone with her and i got real tired of hearing the word "awesome" being drawn out real quick

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

dalinar's aura as a protagonist reinforced the weakened walls

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

warbreaker is cool

it is slow, though, until it becomes extremely fast

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'd say it's best taken in as an audiobook while you're doing something else

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that chart sucks

i'm a "read it all" guy but i see no reason to worry about which series you start with aside from it being a good idea to do warbreaker early

my particular mania would simply suggest starting with elantris and going forward in release order

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

jesus, putting hubbard and moorcock in the same breath like that?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm a nerd who likes to talk Power Levels. Are the Shards the strongest beings in the Cosmere? Harmony is afraid of whatever that red stuff is after all and he has two Shards.

Which reminds me. Somebody said he's technically stronger than Odium due to having Ruin and Preservation. Yet hasn't Odium killed other Shard-bearers? Why didn't he take up their Shards? Is it because he knew it could potentially gently caress up his abilities like with how Ruin + Preservation made Sazed kinda impassive?

I ask also about power levels because I recall the Stormfather - who is always presented as quite powerful and imposing - basically being reduced to a whimpering child when Odium appeared to Dalinar.

iirc, taking both shards almost atomized sazed and it only worked because the shards were diametrically opposed so they were able to balance out. he might only be able to also take up whatever his diametric opposite is which would probably fundamentally change him as well

harmony might be able to grab more shards explicitly because of the aspect of harmony now?? but that's wild conjecture based on nothing

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

fully autonomous luxury space harmony

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

It's surprisingly easy to subtly remind a reader of things you've already established. People's memories are better than they think, there's just a lot in deep recall that requires some prompting.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Holy poo poo there is a difference between "smart" and "educated"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I liked it but Warbreaker's definitely one I can't actually bring myself to defend. It's really early Sanderson and I think the last thing he wrote before hitting Way of Kings, which was such a big undertaking you could watch Sanderson getting better at writing as he went through the book.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

elantris is at least kind of interesting in that it wasn't until i actually finished the book that i realized it took place in like... i think only three different locations and nothing actually happened

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah elantris was just weird as hell. warbreaker had some interesting stuff going on but it wasn't as vivid, which is ironic when you think about how much colors came into play

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

warbreaker's system STINKS of a magic system someone came up with in the back of their notebook in high school, having put together several similar things in the backs of my notebooks in high school. everything all numbered out and listed out

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

creating nightblood required someone with 20k breaths to use 1,000 and it's still pretty stupid

i think you'd have to leave a lot of breaths lying around in something to risk it self-actualizing independently

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i feel like none of that really exists in text

which at least means he's reworking the system to have some more freedom

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

literally any book coming out causes that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it always cracks me up to think about how i started listening to some writing excuses because of howard tayler and only later went 'well this sanderson guy's pretty sharp what's he about'