Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I've never even heard of Brandon Sanderson until I impulse bought Infinity Blade: Awakening a few weeks ago. I didn't like it very much at all. I explain my dissatisfaction at length here. I skimmed through this thread to see what other people thought of it, but no one else seems to have anything to say about it. People seem to be pretty psyched for his Mistborn stuff, but I just wanna know how well IB:A represents his capabilities. I might be willing to give him a second chance to impress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

subx posted:

but Mistborne is definitely "flashier" with a bigger stage/world and better action/fights)

I don't really care about exciting fights for the sake of there being fights, but as I said, in IB:A he builds up this big sort of challenge by way of an enemy palace full of tough as heck monsters and then skips even the barest description of the fights, and it's kind of a let down. It kind of cheats the reader out of the pay off, I feel. Does he do that sort of stuff often?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

That makes me feel cheated because if that's true (and I don't doubt you guys), he really must've jammed IB:A out in like two weeks for a quick paycheck. I mean, that's the situation I imagined when I wrote the review, but from what I've read here he really does sound like a capable guy. It's perplexing to me.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Yeah, the fact that it bridges the first game and the not-yet-released second game, and tries to smooth over the lack of plot, is an amazing hurdle to leap. I just feel that in doing so he left some stuff out that could've been polished if given more time. One thing I'll note is that on the Amazon page for it, there's like three editors listed. Design by committee seems to been a very real thing there.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Skapegoat posted:

Well, to be fair (mild Infinity Blade 2 spoilers): You play that part as the tutorial of IB2

Yeah, but that doesn't make it cool to excuse it from the book just because a person who plays the second game will eventually see it.

I'll probably pick up one of the Mistborn books when I get a chance, because I really do wanna give this guy a proper shot.