Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What was Megan's theory again?

And it could be worse Nightside by Simon R Greene is empty crowded, dangerous/ignorable on a page by page basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Gadani posted:

I really disagree. I don't at all feel like the ending of any of his books is a "rabbit out of a hat" because the entire book has been explaining the magic system to the point where each resolution is feasible.

I prefer my books to have no conflict in them and the resolution of the plot to be obvious from page 1. Any character growth is or expectations that haven't been set from the start is right out.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Also this is ignoring that as pointed out there are literal Earth fruits and Earth words that they don't know what it means. Plus the worlds of the cosmere populated from a single world that the shard holders come from. And the world hoppers have no trouble understanding each other. Maybe they literally are all speaking English.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Shallan's stuff never stops being painful for me to read and maybe it'll get better but I'm not holding out hope for it. As long as the next book can avoid having Kaladin lapse in to another several chapters of being a mopey crybaby I'll be happy. He probably will though, because not only was he informed his eyes are getting lighter, when he didn't ever want them to, but there's no way he returns to his parents and something terrible doesn't/hasn't happened.

One thing to note, Kaladin is literally depressed. He has some kind of Season Affect Disorder and the timing of the year / The Weeping affects him greatly.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Ninth Layer posted:

Also:
The weapons master that Kaladin works with has a lot of color-themed idioms.

and knows a complicated game involving throwing stones

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Spaceships from Sixth of the Dusk, probably.

From book probably but he had that short story about the guy not living up to his older brothers military genius.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ruby idiot railed posted:

My offhand guess is Kaladin falls for Shallan's disguise.

Don't you mean safehand guess?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What formats are his store? If I get it today I'll read on an iPad so would want ePub or pdf. If I wait for the weekend Id read it on a kindle and need mobi.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

That's actually a theory I have now. With the autonomy shard if Harmony acquires it he may feel the ability to take more direct action rather than being in harmony

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Too juvenile (notwithstanding that this is fantasy lit we're discussing) and too cliched I think about sums it up. It's a spot-on point about the 'Sanderson avalanche' as well. Throughout the novel I was mostly thinking 'yeah, this is kind of cliched and by the numbers but the guy does know how to spin a tight plot at the least', but that more or less unravelled in the last few chapters: the pacing was way off.

Thoughts on too juvenile:
Every main character is an acknowledged child of rape. And they're not shy about it.
Description of steel inquisitors / scenes of them being created.
main protagonist dying at the three quarter point

I'm missing a definition of juvenile I think. When I hear that I think three stooges. But maybe I'm too far disconnected from the time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Decius posted:

I thought Mistborn was a really great book, because the premise "The Dark Lord has won, and we pull a Ocean's Eleven on him" was really a new take 10 years ago when I read it. It got me into the whole Cosmere thing easily. And while WoE wasn't as good (I don't like Elend much), I don't think that makes Mistborn a bad entry point.

Pretty much this. Also the interesting character doesn't die at the climax, they die at like the 2/3rds point. Part of what confused me was how far before the climax that scene was.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Odette posted:

Malazan seems like the kind of book you'd enjoy if you were a masochist tosser.

I forced myself to read the first book, and I didn't really enjoy it. I have far better things to do with my time, and if I'm not enjoying something, why should I bother continuing?

For a second I thought this was the Patrick Rothfuss thread and my head nearly exploded...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Benson Cunningham posted:

I think the issue with YA is that it's only written at two levels these days- ages 7-10 (Goosebumps) or ages 11-13 (Sanderson, Red Rising, Hunger Games).

If you're 14+, you either need to have the vocabulary to understand fiction aimed at adults (while generally lacking the emotional wherewithal to process it) or read below your level, further hampering your ability to develop said emotional processing capacity.

The more difficult option, struggling to understand what you're reading and working harder when easier books are available, is not really encouraged outside of good parents or elite schooling.

End baby rant.

I think at 14+ you just read genre fiction which is written for 20+ with the emotional maturity of 14+ and so you're still fine...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

berenzen posted:

This has been basically every YA ever though???

I mean, there would be a few standouts, but for the most part all young adult fiction is pretty rote.

Narnia, The Hobbit, Lloyd Alexander?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Speculation but some light spoilers, just a thought I had after edgedancer Im starting to think Lift might be much older than she thinks. She's either immortal because it was part of her gift or her healing powers accidentally have locked her into being young forever. I suspect her gift was to be able to convert food into investiture at the cost of her memory and perception of time. Since she's the only surge binder to be able to do that her body is continually healing stunting growth, as long as she's not starving. Also one of her oaths is distinctly about remembering.

Somehow in Lifts mind she's crossed Roshar twice in only three years. Multiple things she's said and what Brandon has said bring that into question.

But conversely I'm now convinced that the night watcher is Cultivation. What better way to utilize your exceptional future sight among shardbearers than to 'cultivate' unique skills in people. Also wyndle calls himself a cultivation spren.

Pretty sure it was heavily implied as being why she was traveling. The request of the night mother was to never change. She has to keep moving or people will learn her and change her. Never change could be centuries.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

What about Perfect State?

First Born...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Daric posted:

Is there any way to get Edgedancer without buying the whole Arcanum Unbounded book? I've already read all the other stories in it so $13 for a short story seems a little steep.

Library? There's a bit more content for the stories as well but still not $13 worth.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

jebrown84 posted:

That would be Sel the world from Elantris.

No, Threnody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Must have missed a page massively beaten to warning off. Do read the lift story though. She's full of awesomeness.