Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have a long commute every day, so this was crazy magnified for me. I went through 12 books in September. At least a lot of them were on sale.

I found out Sanderson is doing a booksigning near me on 11/16, so I'm probably buying Alloy of Law in hardcover. I can't wait to read it. Come out already!

I'm reading Hero of Ages on the Kindle right now. For some reason I put over eight months between it and the last book, but i've decided to finish it before Alloy of Law comes out. It's pretty great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Just finished Alloy of Law. It was an awesome little bite-sized Mistborn novel, left me wanting a new trilogy in this setting. Did anybody else get the impression that the crazy guy in the prologue was burning atium?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I skipped straight from A Crown of Swords to Knife of Dreams (stopping along the way to read the last chapter of WH), and I didn't feel like I really missed anything or had trouble getting reconnected to the plot. You should read KoD before you start the Sanderson books, though - it's the book where Jordan officially got his poo poo together and started to move the plot again.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

I would reccomend Malazan, but that is a commitment that is not for everybody. Go read the OP of the thread and decide for yourself if you can handle it or not. There is no shame is walking away from it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393708

Here's why...

:psyduck:

It's also worth mentioning that Sanderson himself is a big fan of the Malazan series. I'm reading the fifth book right now, and I really like it. It is, however, a lot more involved than anything Sanderson's written - lots of stuff about the books and their universe won't make sense at first.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Wolpertinger posted:

Speak for yourself, I wouldn't read "Literature" if you paid me. :colbert:

The depressingest post.

I'm honestly surprised there's not some website somewhere that's collected all of Sanderson's early drafts and unpublished novels (stuff like White Sand). I'd love to read the nuts-and-bolts stuff (and pore over it for Cosmere poo poo) and he apparently used to be really free with sending people unpublished stuff if they asked him for it.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

soru posted:

I also thought they were weirdly mechanical at first, but on re-reading it I realize that it's actually a deep insight into Szeth's character that he knows the names and mechanics of the Lashings. All that knowledge should be completely lost, and he's one of the few in the world who knows it and maybe the only person in the world who can do it at that point. It's just that all that information isn't clear in Szeth's chapter, so it reads like a boring tutorial of a magic system that's completely pointless because no one else does it.

I think you hit the nail on the head with what bugged me about that opening - it feels like the tutorial level in a video game.

PRESS X TO ACTIVATE FIRST LASHING

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Pimpmust posted:

I... would probably rate it slightly higher than the first book, though. Mostly for the TWIST, you've done got played :drat:
Of course, not without losing a few points for what happened after that with Elend, but also because the whole thing was spoilered when I read the back of the third book :argh:

I had some issues with The Well of Ascension, but I'll say this for it: it's one of only two books I've ever read (the second of which is Gene Wolfe's Peace), that has a huge plot twist that is cleverly spoiled for you on the VERY FIRST PAGE of the book, but in such a way that you won't even notice until you go back and look. "Nothing not written in metal can be trusted" indeed.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Warbreaker was my first Sanderson novel (and I only read it because it was free on his website) and it got me into all his stuff, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Don't listen to these people telling you how to min-max a goddamn fantasy author's work. Read The Way of Kings, it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Just finished it on my lunch break. It was pretty good, but goddamn did he have to give every one of his characters a quirk and then refer to it EVERY TIME the character was brought up? That was got more and more annoying as the book went on.

And I think I'm starting to understand Brandon Sanderson's thought processes too well. Whenever he tries to drop something into the narrative all casual-like, it ends up being important x pages/books later. I called that Megan was an Epic as soon as he mentioned she couldn't use the tensors - calling a character out like that inevitably means that they're special. And you just KNOW that two books from now there's going to be some huge revelation that was foreshadowed by the weird "why did this hurt his skull but not THIS" thing when Steelheart died.

I was close on Steelheart's weakness, I was so sure from the intro that it was going to be that he can only be hurt by someone who doesn't think he's evil, going back to the whole 'heroes' thing and explaining why he has a whole secret evil propaganda corps. It would have tied in nicely with the whole "Epics aren't inherently evil, their powers MAKE them evil" thing.

It was pretty good, though. It reminded me a lot of the first Mistborn novel actually: a bunch of scrappy rebels putting together a Grand Plan to discover the secret weakness of a Big Bad Guy.