Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
I just read the first book of Mistborn and I thought it was alright. Like a flat B on a grading curve of fantasy novels. I'm thinking of getting into Sanderson's more recent Way of Kings - would you guys think that this series is an improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
My favorite chapter blurb from WoK:
"The death is my life, the strength becomes my weakness, the journey has ended."

Somehow I just got chills reading this, drat death quotes.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Fezz posted:

New Words of Radiance chapter from the 17th Shard forum: Chapter 2

Straight from a reading.

That was really good. Can't wait for more!

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
Excellent book, wanted to chime in on something. Has any one noted the similarity of the Diagram faction to the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov (science fiction). In the Foundation, a brilliant mathematician created psychohistory which could be used to predict the future. Then, Hari Seldon created an organization called Foundation to execute his plan to save a remnant of humanity from a predicted galactic collapse. Of course, the Foundation were the "good guys" in Asimov's book, as opposed to the "bad guys" in Words of Radiance."

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

OBi posted:

Huh. Regarding Adolin: My first thought when he ended Sadeas was that it would be linked to Syl's comment that the owner of Szeth's shardblade can surgebind without the moral restrictions.

Basically my head instantly mapped out a scenario wherein Kaladin feels bad that his bro Adolin doesn't have cool powers like everyone else, including his fiancé, so he gives him the blade. Oh but it turns out Kaladin and Shallan are meant to be, and boom, Adolin goes evil.

Kaladin has a pretty bad track record of giving people (Moash!!) shard equipment so he better think twice about that.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Wolpertinger posted:

Here's most of the crossover stuff I'm aware of.

Sanderson mentioned at some point that Hoid was a feruchemist as well. In one of the interludes from Way of Kings, at least one character from Elantris was spotted, searching for Hoid.

So Hoid/Wit basically has access to at least two sets of magic systems, breath and feruchemy. At any point, he could also turn himself into a mistborn by eating up the bead of lerasium he's been keeping for a rainy day. Plus he might even have Taln's honorblade!

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Augster posted:

The Chapter 84 epigraph code has been cracked:

Hold the secret that broke the Knights Radiant. You may need it to destroy the new orders when they return.

Here's how:
Chapter 83 epigraph:

For each letter, find the first occurrence of that letter in that epigraph. For instance O = 1, H = 11

Use that as a substitution into the Chapter 84 epigraph:

Here's a late response, but that's amazing! I thought the numbers were just intentional gibberish made to look like a real message, and not actually a crackable code.

I want to know the secret now! It might have something to do with causing a contradiction with a the first ideal, since all the orders must swear that oath. However, I can't imagine what could cause a contradiction with "life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination".

Maybe it could have to deal with finding a reason for the orders to fight each other. Like, setting the third ideal of the Windrunners "I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right" to fighting against a different knights radiant order with opposing motives.

My favorite theory from the 17th shard: spren/surgebinders/honor/cultivation is responsible for the desolations which devastate humanity.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Brandon's a tease, because
apparently Sazed has kandra secret agents in a bunch of other books

What, really? Which other books and where?