Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Obviously it's going to be "The more she tugged, the more she shat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This Post Sucks posted:

Really, other than stuff in Sanderson's universe, what would be a good match for Kelsier?

Anomander Rake from Malazan.

Honestly there are a couple of hilariously overpowered compared to the rest of the characters choices in this.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Sanderson tells a significantly better and more satisfying story than Erikson for certain. Erikson's a master of world-building in an exotic but fully realized universe, but Sanderson is a far better storyteller. His characters make more sense and are more relatable, as well, even if neither can really count characterization as a strength like Abercrombie or Martin can. Sanderson benefits from editing because it tightens up what is already a tightly woven story, while Erikson's works are really hurt by their general lack of any editing whatsoever. As authors I'd rate both on par with each other, though Sanderson seems to improve with each book while Erikson's second and third novels are probably his best; after that he seems to have fallen in love with his own storytelling and never improved.

I really can't disagree with this more. I like Sanderson, but his stories have very little real depth to them and very, very few of his characters leave a lasting impression (on me), especially compared to the likes of Mappo and Karsa from Malazan. Erikson, to me, has the strongest plot and character arcs in the genre, particularly because he doesn't go into his work treating his cast like poo poo out of spite like Abercrombie and Martin do while also having a very clear picture of what he wants to do with them (though this is a jab more directed at Martin) . Sanderson and the others mentioned have also never really gotten an emotional response from me on par with what Erikson has, and if they have, it's not been as consistently as Erikson who managed to legitimately move me for 9 books in a row (Gardens had a few moments but everything from Deadhouse Gates and beyond is amazing to me).

Granted, I do have an extremely strong bias toward Malazan just because Erikson made "dark" fantasy that doesn't rely on and in actuality pretty much completely shits on the overwhelming cynicism others in this particular subgenre are fond of

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 27, 2012

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ethereal Duck posted:

I agree, but I feel like Sanderson is still growing. I didn't feel much of a connection with any of the Mistborn characters, despite them being good books, but Way of Kings is such a big improvement compared to that. And the man just doesn't stop, I don't think he's going to stop improving any time soon.

I also kind of like how he's not doing the whole disturbing sex scenes thing. Looking at you here, Martin.

Oh yeah, I absolutely do want to make it clear that I think Sanderson is still growing as an author. Way of Kings was a good step forward for him, and I'm looking forward to seeing where he is as a writer by the time he finishes it. And yeah the whole "Not being a huge loving creeper" is also a plus.

That said, while people complain about ~philosophy words~ with Erikson, my biggest complaint with Sanderson is still ~action words~. I think I skim most action scenes he writes until I get to where they begin to conclude just because I don't find them particularly interesting. I don't mind them as much when it's large engagements, but I much prefer the short and sweet fights Erikson goes with when it comes to smaller ones. I think there's just more impact to be found in them when the engagement is quick and the ending is sudden, basically hitting the reader with a bus.