Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mars4523 posted:

How is the trilogy? I checked the Tvtropes page for an impression (I know, I know) and apparently one of the (adult, male) main characters is in a relationship with a nineteen year old girl who looks fifteen, which is a bit of a red flag in the "No seriously, the little girl's actually a 700 year old dragon!" sense.

The age difference between them is only three years if I remember right. The male character, Taniel, when we're in his head, thinks of himself as a mature worldy-wise hero, but his actions are those of a hot-headed young guy barely out of his teens who acts without thinking and has a (well-meaning) superiority complex because of his special powers. None of the other characters ever really comment on Pole's age, and I think that her being much older than Taniel thinks she is is meant to be a jab against him - he thinks he's all special and grown up and she's just a kid because he has an over-inflated sense of his own maturity.

I don't know anything about McClellan outside of this series though, so I could be wrong. It's kind of like the debate over whether Sanderson's characters are deliberately meant to be unfunny or not, just with creepier potential implications. :shrug:

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU