Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

A cheerful person, he is known as the king of vulgarities (cursing?)

In stormlight 5, all human characters will die and the second half will star an ever growing cast of sentient swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Having just reread The Emperorís Soul, I just wanted to say that I wish Shai and Jasnah could be friends.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

RoW - Anyone have any ideas regarding a Whimsy based magic system? We already have one based on magic chickens for a Shard that is definitely not whimsical so Iím at a loss here. Maybe something in line with incredibly powerful Silly Walking. Ooh, maybe itís a Pun based system!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I’ve found that a person’s enjoyment of Warbreaker directly correlates with how much they like dad jokes.

Oh poo poo. No wonder Lightsong is my favorite character.

Put me in the "you can read The Emperor's Soul without ever touching Elantris" camp. It's so drat good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I really enjoyed the poo poo out of the first two Skyward books and cant wait to read the third.

RoW was okay but Sanderson seems to really shine in a more condensed format.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I'm not sure mistborn abilities lend themselves to a game, despite being obviously video game inspired in terms of resource management. Flicking tiny bits of metal at people is effective but just doesn't sound super flashy to me.

Clearly the best option is a 4x game where you play as a shard, defending your invested planet from various forces!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

2D pixel art Lift platformer, with lots of Wyndle banter.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Emotional allomancy vs the various messed up mental states of the radiants is either going to be a total drag to read or extremely entertaining.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Kaladin frowned as a tightbutt spren floated menacingly nearby.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Rereading Dalinar's chat with Cultivation

At first I didn't really understand why Cultivation would want to bless someone even if they served Odium. In light of her most recent gambit, it seems likely that she was setting up Dalinar as a backup plan to deliver nightblood in case Taravangian failed.

This would also seem to imply that Dalinar is going to lose the contest of champions.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I really think Mistborn Era 2 is a sweet spot in terms of narrative length for him. The novellas usually just leave me wanting more - definitely good, but Era 2 hits so many fun notes.

Also skyward is great.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm about halfway through Era 2, when is a good point to read Secret History? I already know that Kelsier is alive and the leader of the Ghostbloods somehow, is that the big spoiler to avoid?

Given you already know that, whenever you want.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I feel like Warbreaker has way better pacing than Elantris, but Lightsong is also one of my favorites because I couldn't stop hearing him in my head as Zapp Brannigan.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Adolin: "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

This fits entirely too well.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I think RoW would have been awesome if the flashbacks had been the Sibling

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I adore Naomi Novik's book Uprooted. It does have the opposite kind of magic system to the Cosmere but I found that when the main character did that sort of soft magic the author did really fun stuff with her prose that made it really pop.

Same author, newer book, A Deadly Education is extremely hilarious and very good. It's book one of a trilogy. More hard magic, play with the "magic school" trope in a good way.

Along the same lines, Lev Grossman's The Magicians is like if you mixed Harry Potter with Kaladin level depression and twirled in a weirdly mirror universe version of Chronicles of Narnia. I liked them a lot, and the series is complete and imo ends well.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Is Brent Weeks lightbringer series any good? I rented it from the library last summer after a Sanderson blog post recommending it but bounced off after a few chapters. Does it git gud?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

It's very cute how much our clearly anime-loving magic-systwm-designing turbo nerd loves to write.

I wonder if he has an account. I wouldn't be surprised.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I had a good time reading it, I'm not sure how it'll shine on a re read, but to be honest the only one I've re read was way of kings and a few sections of oathbringer.

I wish Venli and Kaladin had escaped together earlier and still had to go back for everyone. Buddy comedy section! Brandon is best when his characters are interacting, not when they're stuck in their own heads with inner turmoil. Imo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Axies the collector book when?!?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

So how do we want things to shake out?

Stormlight is animation
Mistborn is live action
Elantris is muppets
Warbreaker is stop motion

IMO

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

This is so obviously Sarenes dad.

Edit:

"You should know by now that nothing I do is just for show."

External Organs fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 18, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

He's leaving the writing world to become a garlic farmer and will now only be known as The Supplier of Flavours

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Skyward 3 is up for preorder and is titled "Cytonic".

https://www.getunderlined.com/books/539345/cytonic-by-brandon-sanderson/

Weird title. I love this series though and am excited. Wonder when we will see the most likely superior UK cover.

Edit: oh here it is. Dope!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Adnor posted:

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1397975897744027651

What?

Though I guess he has a good relationship with Epic after Infinity Blade.

Lmao. Amazing. Is he just like that card or something else? I don't know fortnite help i am not good at computers

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Lot of little kids about to make believe Batman had a bad time mowing the lawn.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Barreft posted:

I'm reading 2nd era Mistborn right now. It's cool but, drat get ready to read the word "Push" like 10 times a page during any action sequence.

Yeah, I mean, I love them but you just have to kind of ignore the video game verbs.

What do you all think his most interesting to read magic system is thus far? We don't get a lot of it in Warbreaker but I think awakening leads to some really fun scenarios, and they're different every time.

For a non Sanderson vibe, I really love reading the magic in Naomi Novik's books Uprooted and A Deadly Education (this book owns).

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Oh poo poo! I hadn't considered that

I freaking love this theory.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I don't see how any other magic system can just deal with Coinshots.

If someone gets the jump on Kelsier, sure I guess yea maybe. But if it's like "a proper duel"...?

I'd like to seen Vasher with scarves of carrying colors with the command "catch things and throw them back" or something stupid. It'd be like a point defense system.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

He's like much skinner Brandon Insert, imo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I've said it before in the thread but I love Lightsong's dad joke energy.

Alternately you can read him, at least his spoken lines, as Zapp Brannigan and it's just peachy.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Tunzie posted:

My hot take is that in RoW it’s actually Kaladin’s stuff I’m most annoyed with pacing wise.

I felt like we’d dealt with the majority of his issues up to this point and only had a little further to go (getting to his last ideal, mostly), and Die Hard: Urithiru was neat at first but it just. Dragged. On, for so long. Its like three times he goes to have a fight with the dude to protect the maguffin, and fails to protect the maguffin and retreats, and it’s so drawn out (through the majority of the book in fact) it was starting to drive me up the wall.

The final fight with the dude was pretty great, but getting there was a trial for me.

I maintain that having him escape earlier, with Venli, and have them buddy comedy their way back in would have been drastically better. It would've been, you know, fun, and given Venli an opportunity to not suck rear end.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

RoW: I wish we had gotten so much more of Kaladin inventing psychology. Maybe with the Ishar stuff next book, but that'll be frenetic. Brandon can write that kind of exploration really quite well, particularly in The Emperor's Soul. I think he tried with the Navani stuff but it maybe went on for a tad long. Come to think of it, the Navani stuff could have made an interesting novella, and swap that in with Dawnshard and the book maybe gets a lot better without much changing of plot.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Sab669 posted:

That far away? drat. I couldn't remember what he said last State of the Sanderson. I was thinking like summer-ish if he's virtually done with it. Is this just the first draft?

As I recall it's a publishing thing.

Kinda burnt out on cosmere so I'm not mad. Cytonic will be rad though. That's this fall right?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Watch the last half of stormlight be like a police procedural cosmere MacGuyver, rigging cremlings to fabrials and poo poo.

I will jerry rig those gadgets I cannot plan out in advance.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Jonathan Favreau - Wax
Idris Elba - Wayne

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I hate you.

Kevin Hart as Wax
Dwayne Johnson as Wayne

Say what you will, but whoever plays Wayne is going to need to loving excel at wearing a hat.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

davidHalestorm posted:

Very random question, but in Oathbringer, when Shallan, Adolin, Kaladin and Azure was on a boat and they were about to be attacked by a bunch of Fused. Azure decided to stay on that boat, presumably to fight them and she asked the crew to cut a bunch of paper into a human shaped. What is she planning to do there? I know that she can use Biochromatic Breath but what exactly was she going to do?

We don't know for sure what command she was going to use, but we do know from Warbreaker that things in the shape of people require less breath to awaken, so if you have the time to be efficient with the resource, you might as well. I'm assuming the command would be something like "defend me" or something like that.

External Organs fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 9, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Ho ho ho! Now I have a spanreed!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Watch Shinovar be loving Wakanda.

Except probably not since they are explicitly white as dough.