Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

inthesto posted:

Just picked up both Stormlight Archive books two weeks ago and chewed through them in no time. Love the series and I'm thinking of picking up other Cosmere books, but I have to say that I'm really not a fan of the obvious setup for a love triangle between Adolin, Shallan, and Kaladin. It's even worse than usual considering how transparently it's a parallel to Gavilar, Navani, and Dalinar, which probably means that Adolin is going to bite it or Shallan is going to outright pick Kaladin eventually.

If it works for Archie Andrews comics, it will work in a fantasy novel

e: I don't think we're required to use spoiler tags, everyone is assumed to have read the novels

mewse fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xachariah posted:

According to the rules you are required to spoiler WoR for at least 3 more days so it has been exactly 6 months since release. It's probably polite to do it for far longer since this is technically a multi-series thread. Some people coming here for Mistborn discussion probably shouldn't have Stormlight ruined for them or vice versa.

Whoops, ok. I'm new to this subforum.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I hope the new novel has emo kaladin moping about shallan for the entire thing

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xachariah posted:

I think the Young Adult label is just marketing nonsense.

I think it's probably just about graphic sex scenes like in Ken Follett stuff

mewse
May 2, 2006

Damo posted:

Man I only just finished WoR a few months ago but seemed to have forgotten like 90% of the book. So much poo poo happens. I'm definitely gonna be lost regarding where the story stands by the time the next book comes out.

Re-read :toot:

mewse
May 2, 2006

I didn't mind Kaladin's depression too much but I understand where it's coming from. It's very frustrating having a protagonist that chooses the wrong path repeatedly, because a person loses the investment they had in that character. I don't believe it's a fascist "mental illness doesn't exist" attitude.

"Fool makes wrong decisions repeatedly and causes bad things to happen" is a comedic device that doesn't fit a protagonist in a fantasy novel. Kaladin's situation isn't on that level but it's frustrating to read about how he gets that really sweet gig as Dalinar's bodyguard but isn't happy about it. That's where the angsty teen joke comes from, good things keep happening to him and he keeps complaining about it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I read Sanderson's WoT books, then the stormlight archives.

Now I've started on the Reckoners books, though they seem more young adult than his other stuff.

After that I'm planning on his Mistborn series.

Will that give me the breadth of his cosmere stuff? Or are there some of his short stories/one-offs that I should read?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Reckoners isn't part of the Cosmere.

:ughh:

quote:

You would only be missing Warbreaker and the two novels which take place on Sel, Elantris and Emperors's Soul. You can get a free version of Warbreaker here: http://brandonsanderson.com/books/warbreaker/warbreaker/warbreaker-rights-and-downloads/

Warbreaker and Stormlight Archives 2 have the first really obvious characters in common, though the two characters from Warbreaker that appear in Words of Radiance have either a minor role, or only appear in the third to last chapter of the book.

Elantris is probably his weakest Cosmere book, while Emperor's Soul is his best book, period.

Ok, thank you, I'll revise my list

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thyrork posted:

Am i mistaken in feeling that people think the "Tastefulness" of young adult books regarding sex and violence is a bad thing? Because graphic details make me squeamish and I've looong gone past being a teen. :v:

What's weird to me is that I'm completely unclear on what exactly constitutes young adult, but some young adult books like the WoT series feel completely adult to me.

I just finished the steelheart, the first reckoners book, and in addition to the young adult hallmarks - no swearing, no sex, no gore (lots of violence tho?) - it felt very young adult because the protagonist was this angsty teen who would get upset when someone called him a nerd.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy

The Lord Ruler was a Terrisman feruchemist - was he also a keeper, or whatever term they had during Alendi's time?

Sazed was also a Terrisman feruchemist but he was able to fix the world. I guess the Lord Ruler only wielded part of Preservation's powers built up at the well of ascension, and then any time he tried to fix his mistakes he was blocked by Ruin? The book said that Sazed fixed the orbit of the planet based on star charts from his metalminds, I guess the Lord Ruler didn't have that information when he changed the orbit.

mewse
May 2, 2006

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Also with regards to Sazed vs. the Lord Ruler:
Sazed gets the powers of both Ruin and Preservation after Vin and Ati (the dude who had Ruin's powers up until then) both die and is thereafter known as Harmony. Even if TLR had been equipped with star charts etc. Ruin would have found a way to gently caress it up and stop him from making things nice, just like he did when Vin was trying to fix stuff during her brief stint as the holder of Preservation.

I didn't catch on to the Harmony label, thank you. I liked how the atium cache depleted Ruin's powers to match Preservation imbuing humanity.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh, I just started that one.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Levitate posted:

I seem to recall it being mentioned, but what are the connections between Sanderson's books? Are there connections between the Mistborn world and Stormlight?

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Cosmere

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hat trick?

mewse
May 2, 2006

mallamp posted:

During that timejump internet will be invented and books 6-10 will have Lift yelling memes

Awesome

mewse
May 2, 2006

Khizan posted:

It was an awesome scene that unfortunately read like he was including information from the game manual in the book. "Szeth used a Basic Lashing on the guard. This took 5% of his Stormlight Gauge and bound the guard to the ceiling for 12 seconds. If used with the SURGE button..."

It left a sour taste in my mouth before I even got into the actual story simply because of how blatant a rules-system infodump it was and it could have been handled much better.

Agreed with everything you said but also as a flash-forward there was no context for the characters or why someone was impersonating the king, or why we'd care whether the king was killed, etc etc. I didn't like it.

Don't know why you guys are OK with skipping chapters. The only book I can recall ever doing that was War and Peace where Tolstoy would write alternating chapters with dry historical analysis of Napolean's invasion of Russia that I was completely disinterested in reading.

mewse
May 2, 2006

computer parts posted:

I think the issues of killing a king are generally understood, just like having a book begin with the assassination of the president would be generally understood.

The assassination of the president is generally understood to be evil, but the killing of a king in a fantasy novel could mean anything.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Arrath posted:

I am really excited to read about the Blackthorn.

I just got goosebumps, what the hell is wrong with me

mewse
May 2, 2006

Could you please just edit your post and put in the spoiler tags. What you wrote is a really big part of the end of the mistborn trilogy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So, as someone who read that without thinking, whose only read the first book, and plans to read the rest, how hosed am I?

Just forget what you read. There is a *lot* of context built into that spoiler that you don't know about yet, so if you're able to ignore and forget it then you'll be fine.

mewse
May 2, 2006

fadam posted:

What's the deal with the fake swearing in Steelheart? The book opens with a shitload of people being disintegrated but characters have to say "slontze" instead of poo poo?

Young Adult

mewse
May 2, 2006

I posted about it in here before but the reckoners books struck me as way more young adult than other stuff that was supposedly young adult like wheel of time, because of stuff like the protagonist angrily saying "I'm not a nerd!!"

mewse
May 2, 2006

It makes me feel like such an old man that I grew up reading books on paper and I never had any idea what the authors looked like

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sanderson truly is good enough to replace anyone's... wife...

mewse
May 2, 2006

The first title (children of the mist or whatever) seems like a translation of mistborn

mewse
May 2, 2006

Torrannor posted:

It's close but not quite. The proper translation is Nebelgeborene, which is the word used in the books themselves to describe the mistborn. It really, really makes no sense to use this alternative title.

Alright that's ridiculous.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Looks like the 10yr anniversary edition of Elantris is also being released tomorrow, per Sanderson's website

e: and a leatherbound edition

mewse fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 6, 2015

mewse
May 2, 2006

Karnegal posted:

I don't think that's the message. You get the message pretty directly. Marasi, as the reader's proxy, pretty much asks MeLaan the obvious question of why Harmony would do this etc. Marasi wants to know why Harmony would do the seemingly "rear end in a top hat" thing and she gets a bunch of rebukes that essentially add up to - if there is to be any free will he can't control everything. If he isn't controlling everything, then actions have consequences and even good actions can have negative consequences (the example of saving a man who later in life makes a child sick). Given that, he is only putting burdens where they can be borne. This is not a "god is an rear end in a top hat" perspective from any sort of Christian angle - you're talking about a religion with countless figures who are given burdens that they must bear for "God's plan.".

I just finished reading SoS and came back here to read all the spoilered stuff and disagreed with your criticism in the same way the other people have. The characters' interaction with harmony does not seem to be informed by Sanderson's faith at all so it's pretty dumb for you to call it out as a mormon conspiracy. This part I've quoted doesn't seem to have anything to do with his mormonism and is a general theological debate, which is what you'd expect in a fantasy novel where communication with God is actually possible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Does anyone else think that Sazed really hosed up? Not just in the setup, but when Paalm dies she mentions that she won't be Sazed's slave again, implying that (despite what he told Wax), he actually did Assume Direct Control on multiple occasions.

The kandra figured out how to commit suicide just in case Sazed were to start trying that poo poo - I think he's just lost a lot of their trust.

Yeah. IIRC it was explained that Paalm was sent to the roughs by Sazed to be Wax's bodyguard. That seems to be before she removed one of her spikes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't think bloody tan was anything supernatural, Lessie could have jerked into the path of the bullet to fake her death according to harmony's plan

mewse
May 2, 2006

I reported it this morning when I saw Torrannor's post, pretty sad response time by the mods

mewse
May 2, 2006

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

I'm a pretty non-critical reader of genre fiction, and I love Sanderson's works, but I do have to make an extra effort to not find Wayne annoying... His personality is one thing, but the fact that a grown adult can't understand why "borrowing" things isn't okay means there must be something wrong with him. I don't know if Sanderson is consciously writing him this way, but I feel like he has to be somewhere on the autism spectrum.

I understand that Wayne's trading is supposed to be impish and a counterpoint to Wax's steadfast cop role but Sanderson misstepped with it a couple times, IIRC Wayne boosts some nobleman's ornate pocket watch? I just remember at least one of his trades crossed the line from impish to mean spirited thievery. Then the scene where Wayne remixes everyone's drinks into cocktails, it did feel like Sanderson was describing an alien planet (someone else in this thread mentioned Sanderson's odd writing about liquor but I think the convo was overshadowed by the religious debate).

mewse
May 2, 2006

I really liked mistborn, even the first novel, but this is the second time I've heard someone having significant trouble enjoying it. It might just be that I can abide cliches without gagging? I really wonder why it's polarizing

mewse
May 2, 2006

Khizan posted:

Mistborn is your stereotypical Sanderson book and it showcases every one of his problems in painstaking detail. Wooden characters, clunky dialogue, a magic system described with all the wonder and mystery of a D&D handbook, and plotting that goes "Oh crap, I've only got two chapters left, time to wrap up everything all at once." Every one of Sanderson's problem areas shows up in this book and it's so early in his writing career that the rough edges are really rough.

It also suffers from the thing where the first book in a series by an essentially unknown author has to handle matters in a way that would let it fly as a standalone if it failed to gain traction. This means that he has to set the Lord Ruler up and then knock him back down in the same book, and it just ends up feeling very rushed. It's made even worse by the fact that he has to kill Kelsier off before anybody else becomes interesting, and that leaves a HUGE empty space that nobody really fills. I think that if Mistborn were written at a later stage of his career Kelsier and the Lord Ruler might have made it into book 2 and the whole thing would feel a lot smoother.

Well stated, thank you

mewse
May 2, 2006

Am I weird for not wanting to read this slow trickle of chapters on webpages?

mewse
May 2, 2006

mallamp posted:

What's bad about it? Maybe with infinite spare time I'd agree but I read and watch everything spread over so many months anyway that these sample chapter things Sanderson, Butcher (and many othjers I guess) have done lately blend right in

What irked me with Shadows of Self was that I read the first few chapters as they dribbled out online and then it was months before I actually got my hands on the novel. Because of the delay I had this deja vu feeling when I read the first chapters in the actual novel. My swiss cheese memory is probably not helping the situation.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The good news is that I haven't taken a shot to the noggin for several months. The bad news is that I've gained 50 lbs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

subx posted:

A shot that you remember anyways.

Yeah and I've gained 50 pounds, it sucks

mewse
May 2, 2006

Aaaaaaa so many spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006