Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Umph posted:

What is macroquest? If I two box can I set up heal hotkeys and bind them to the programmable keys on my keyboard so I don't have to alt tab without getting banned?

Also how are bards are they still the greatest? I always wanted a bard.

I really wanted to like SoD, but could never get into it for a variety of reasons. This was one of them.

I really hope someone can address my concerns, if you can i'd like to get back into SoD as i've been really bored with my gaming choices lately.

For starters, I don't think I ever progressed beyond Innothule Swamp, I don't remember what it's called on SoD but you all know what i'm talking about. It was always just endless grinding with maybe one quest each time I leveled. This is probably in part because I don't know how to recognize where a quest I can do is located without hailing every single NPC in the city. And if I do that, I don't know which quests are actually around my level or close by. Is there some big list of quests, or some sort of guide to at least get me out of that godforsaken swamp?

From there, my second big issue was dual boxing. I like dual boxing, I really do. It's a lot of fun and I do it on WoW just because I like the variety of playing more than one character at once. But as far as I could figure out, EQ blocked the functionality of pressing a button while in one pane and having it activate the same button on the second pane. For example, in WoW I would currently have the Warrior's box up, and if I needed to heal it I could just tap numpad 1, which isn't bound to anything on the warrior and have it heal the warrior since numpad 1 on the second box is a healer.

I can't do this in EQ since EQ has to be the focused frame to accept input, and trying to do 2-window 1-computer dual boxing makes this impossible. Is there any way around this? I really can't get into alt-tabbing all the time to perform actions.

Other than that, I guess I can't say much. I did a little bit of junk in that swamp on two or three different attempts to get into the game and couldn't really get into it since dual-boxing was rear end and finding appropriate quests was equally rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

Vincent Valentine posted:

For starters, I don't think I ever progressed beyond Innothule Swamp, I don't remember what it's called on SoD but you all know what i'm talking about. It was always just endless grinding with maybe one quest each time I leveled. This is probably in part because I don't know how to recognize where a quest I can do is located without hailing every single NPC in the city. And if I do that, I don't know which quests are actually around my level or close by. Is there some big list of quests, or some sort of guide to at least get me out of that godforsaken swamp?
Huge amount of information provided on the wiki
https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com

Also I'd travel a bit and give another area a go, you started in one of the most inhospitable ones.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
And as far as 2 boxing, I changed the EQ windows .ini file so that the ` key is my alt-tab between two windows. So I just hit ` and have a hotkey setup to target and heal the other box, then i just push ` again after that. It's usually so fast I barely notice I just switched windows.

Of course this sucks if you haven't finished your fizzle AAs and you fizzle.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008

I hate yankees posted:

And as far as 2 boxing, I changed the EQ windows .ini file so that the ` key is my alt-tab between two windows. So I just hit ` and have a hotkey setup to target and heal the other box, then i just push ` again after that. It's usually so fast I barely notice I just switched windows.

Make the hotkey attempt to heal 2 or 3 times. If you fizzle the next cast will get it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I hate yankees posted:

That's a great idea, definitely going to do this.

Oh and

Vincent Valentine posted:

That is among the worst starting areas in SoD. Aside from that though, the vast majority of your leveling and gaining exp in general is going to be via grinding. That's the nature of the game, and I prefer it over the WoW sort of systems where you go to a quest hub, get a bunch of "Collect 30 bear asses" quests and run back and forth killing specific poo poo or whatever. EQ/SoD is a simpler game as far as combat mechanics goes, which gives you more freedom to chat with people, spam /ooc with chuck norris jokes, watch TV, etc. while not letting your damage or efficiency really suffer at all.

There is, however, the Main Quest. This is a huge quest line that can be started at very low levels and does result in massive experience. If you'd rather run around Dalaya a bit and talk to various NPCs about the SoD lore, it can be a great way to gain 10-15 or so levels. You'll do the main quest at some point, and doing it at low levels can be more rewarding than high levels (where you might get a few AA for doing it). The SoD wiki has a full walkthrough of the main quest.

robayon
Nov 26, 2001
hi i have played on sod for like two and a half years now, it kind of rules

my main character is named robayon, kind of like the forums here. send me a tell for free gear, unless you're already on the server, in which case you can get your own damned soulfire

and yeah r.i.p. goon squad (kind of)

robayon
Nov 26, 2001
also if people want partners i have characters at like all levels that i need to level a bit more so PM me here or send me a tell in game or even PM me on the sod forums (i forget if you can actually do that but try anyways)

Tash
Oct 7, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

That is among the worst starting areas in SoD.

I am not sure I would call it the worst but it is the most controversial. It is a good deal harder than any other starting area but it also has a very high experience modifier to compensate. It is the "ballsy" starting area with more danger than whacking away at giant rats. You can level up quicker there with better rewards than any other newbie area but you pay the price in difficulty.

That being said you do not spend a whole lot of time in the newbie yards. An hour or two after tackling the horrible (or awesome) swamp you can move on to Oggok or Sadri without too many problems. In fact you can run the 10 minutes to Oggok at level 1 if you are so inclined.

That is very much a SoD theme. Areas spanning different difficulties and class niches that you can chose from when adventuring all the way from level 1. Some people like this and some people do not as it does restrict you a bit if you ONLY want easy street or ONLY want hard street or ONLY want to go places where enchanters are gods, etc. Content is not created equal and part of the game is using the community to help steer your play style until you get your bearings.

Tash fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 5, 2010

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
Is there any way to enable moving the mouse cursor out of the window without the need to hit alt-tab?

So that the EQ window is still in the front but I can use the mouse to click on other windows without needing to hit alt-tab first?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

ist posted:

Is there any way to enable moving the mouse cursor out of the window without the need to hit alt-tab?

So that the EQ window is still in the front but I can use the mouse to click on other windows without needing to hit alt-tab first?

You should be able to play EQ in windowed mode making it easier to switch.

Side note after parsing the wiki a bit are paladins really that good in SoD?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Paladins are generally considered the best tanks, although warriors and SKs are still in demand and strong classes themselves.

The main things that paladins have going for them are their HP buff that stacks with the cleric hp buff and druid/shaman hp buff, their group heal over time, and the fact that they can hold aggro on multiple targets better than the other tanks. They hold aggro through stuns and blinds, and they have AE versions of them, so they don't have to frantically target each mob in a large pull one by one in order to generate aggro.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Group tanks. Paladins are considered the best group tanks. Raids are a whole new beast - and in all honesty paladin group tank dominance is questionable and dependent on the zone. If your doing undead a paladin will almost always be the first choice but they are interchangeable to a large degree.

Then it gets even more confusing. 6 man exp grinding generally prefers a paladin. 6 or 12 man raid encounters like a SK or a warrior. A warrior beats out whenever tanking is truly crucial (mobs hit for a lot) which is rare in most exp areas. Paladins win out when there are a ton of mobs that are NOT resistant - groups of resistant mobs take a warrior or SK. SK builds more aggro quicker on a single target meaning other classes can unload their own damage quicker BUT a warrior has more singular longevity which helps on long fights BUT a paladin has more group longevity (group heals) which makes them better on long fights with AE damage.

Sooooo... the point is that its not so cut and dry. It really all depends what you want to do with your character and what sort of groups you are going to find. It also depends if you want to be king-big-dick at the end of the road when you hit raids.

Tash fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 5, 2010

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
I played SoD for a while about a year ago. While it's not a perfect game, nor does it wholly scratch that old EQ itch, it is a colossal achievement by those involved with its development for its massive scope and amounts of programming and writing that went into its creation.

If you've played EQ before, a lot of things will be familiar. The game world is laid out in mostly the same way, and at the very least you'll be able to know where zone borders are and the likely location of mobs and poo poo. But it really doesn't play much like old EQ, which is either a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

In fact, it's pretty unfair to really compare SoD to EQ because they're so fundamentally different. The first few hours you play, sure, it feels and sounds like EQ. But after a while it really becomes clear that SoD is its own game. The game mechanics are some of the most well-balanced and thought out I've ever seen in an MMO. The rest system, fighting stances, zone exp bonuses, treasure maps, tradeskills...things just feel right when you play.

That said, it's not all perfect. My opinion is that experience is too fast. Characters level up very, very quickly. The game is quite top-heavy in terms of content, as a result. There is an absolute TON to do once you're 50 or 60+, with tons of teirs that give guilds of different strengths plenty to strive for, but not so much to really do while you're lower level. Ok, this is not entirely true - the game is really pretty big with plenty of options for low levels, but since experience is so fast you don't ever feel compelled to go seek out new stuff. Leveling is always priority one, and most of the time leveling is pretty easy.

I was active in Goon Squad as we rose in power (fish squad represent), taking down our first teir 1 and 2 mobs. I missed the rest of the guild's ascent, but I've heard we climbed pretty high!

The 18-man cap for raids was a very effective way of combatting some of the game's top-heaviness. It also makes every raid participant feel important, since even the 18th man might be the difference between the main tank biting it or surviving. Again, another very well thought out system with good overall consequences.

Still, the small amount of time you spend as a level 1-40 character makes you feel like you're missing out on some fun potential. And with everyone running around two-boxing, despite a sizable mid-level population the game still has the "feel" of being comprised of a ton of high levels and then you. The real meat of the game is in the high levels.

But that could just be the old school EQ in me talking. I'm sure some people loved the quick leveling and loved being able to two-box their way up.

Me, I would have loved spending time as a mid-level, making the items I earned at mid-levels worth earning instead of discarding them for better loot after I'd made 8 more levels in 5 days. It would have been fun spending the time organizing an adept raid instead of figuring you could put the few hours that would take to better use by just making another level. Mid-level EQ was the best EQ, so maybe I'm just disappointed mid-level SoD wasn't the best SoD too. Maybe I'm just a masochist.

But these are small complaints nonetheless. Nitpicks, even. The craftsmanship of SoD is masterful and it deserves the glowing praise most shower it with. It's hard to imagine an unfinanced, made-from-scratch pseudo-emulation turning out any better. It's worth trying out whether you played EQ way back when and loved it, whether you played EQ way back when and hated it, or whether you never played EQ at all.

Buane fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 5, 2010

robayon
Nov 26, 2001
also I wonder if the original goon squad owners of the following characters will read this: Ardun and Micer

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Flater posted:

Huge amount of information provided on the wiki
https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com

Also I'd travel a bit and give another area a go, you started in one of the most inhospitable ones.

I think some of the newer devs are making more lower level quests, though I think it might have been hearsay. Confirm/deny?

The biggest thing I like about this game is that the devs are very active and are constantly tweaking things. Plus they are on the server a decent amount screwing around/having fun (and aren't power hungry drama kings D:) so I like them.

Also you can apparently get a ton of XP from doing tradeskills though I've never done them. Keep in mind though Vincent that EQ is a grind-centric game at its core, though SoD does do a great job of giving you other stuff to do if you don't feel like another night of grinding. The game really does start at 65 in a lot of ways.

PS: One other nice thing is that if you're a DPS class or a healer class you shouldn't have any issues getting into any raid guilds. Tanks on the other hand... need to make a lot of friends and ride some coattails.

PSS: I'm Lenlalron ingame if you want to harass me for bein' a goon.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Man I love SoD and will never forget it. :glomp:

It is a shame so many people hacked on it. especially the ones who had amassed so much good reputation too. Myrah and Paxx sound familiar to me but since I never play alot I can't really say. why would anyone choose to cheat on a nice server like this anyways? :smith:

Is there some sort of list that I can look at of that guild that got banned for using MQ?

Dragongem posted:

The biggest thing I like about this game is that the devs are very active and are constantly tweaking things. Plus they are on the server a decent amount screwing around/having fun (and aren't power hungry drama kings D:) so I like them.

Also you can apparently get a ton of XP from doing tradeskills though I've never done them. Keep in mind though Vincent that EQ is a grind-centric game at its core, though SoD does do a great job of giving you other stuff to do if you don't feel like another night of grinding. The game really does start at 65 in a lot of ways.

Yes. Devs are very nice and drama is near extinct as it should be with authority figures. Alot are really awesome too and it helps the server feel homey.

In addition to quests and whatnot. there are some nice gems hidden about. Newport has a lot of faction/money quests. Good ones include trading in Bandit heads to the guard around the newport gates, Turning in gnoll ears to a guard in Centaur hills, and trading in Liodreth heads to another guard in the badlands [south i think? been a while since I played]. All those quests reward you with different sizes of newport guard coins or something like that which can be turned in to Desk Sergeant Ranald near the Newport bank for money and faction. Should you get max faction with newport you were able to receive a Newport amulet which had some nice stats and a newport gate effect on it.

Tradeskills were also another nice way to get chunks of exp if you ever got bored of grinding and wanted to unwind for a bit.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 6, 2010

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Dizz posted:

It is a shame so many people hacked on it.
It's not really hacking. Parts of MQ are allowed on a couple other popular emu servers because it makes EQ much more user friendly, especially when boxing multiple characters. They just happen to not allow any MQ plugins on SoD for whatever reason, even though many of them are simply there for convenience and not "cheating" or however you want to define it.

Dizz posted:

Is there some sort of list that I can look at of that guild that got banned for using MQ?

Second post here http://forum.shardsofdalaya.com/showthread.php?t=19178 is a list of all the people who were banned.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

zornsan posted:

Hey dudes I'm Meyers in game I don't really play any more but I help with dev work when I'm not being lazy.

Hey Meyers, I miss you and all the goons. This is your favorite ogre, Charley.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've never played EQ1 ever in my life (although I do play EQ2, fwiw), but I'm thinking of trying this. A couple of questions:

Do most people solo or group to level? Is there a benefit to grouping rather than soloing?

What classes would be good to start with? Are there any I should avoid as someone completely new? I usually play melee dps or healers.

e: have you guys thought of getting an irc channel? There might not be enough people playing to warrant it, but you never know. Or what about an in-game channel, if that's possible?

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 6, 2010

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

robayon posted:

also I wonder if the original goon squad owners of the following characters will read this: Ardun and Micer

Hah whoever was on Ardun yesterday ninja AFK'd while we were in cmal :)

MrSargent posted:

Hey Meyers, I miss you and all the goons. This is your favorite ogre, Charley.

Are you Torleran? If you are, keep getting at me about your WDHK dragon. I'm Halinforth.

edit: Oh and thanks for the suggestion for the healing hotkey :)

I hate yankees fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 6, 2010

Tash
Oct 7, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I've never played EQ1 ever in my life (although I do play EQ2, fwiw), but I'm thinking of trying this. A couple of questions:

Do most people solo or group to level? Is there a benefit to grouping rather than soloing?

Usually people solo or duo till 10ish and then start finding groups but grouping before that even is good. Most people start looking for groups in OOC and maybe solo duo a bit while finding one. I honestly think that people who ACTIVELY search for groups (including being willing to *create one*) can find one without too much difficulty as long as your not on korean time.

There is a huge benefit to grouping on SoD. After two people there is no exp penalty for grouping. Meaning:

Kill Mob Worth 1000 exp
1 Person gets 1000 exp
2 People get 500 exp each
3 people get 500 exp each
4 people get 500 exp each
etc

This means that there is no reason not to group when you are already duoing. Really does push people to interact.

quote:

What classes would be good to start with? Are there any I should avoid as someone completely new? I usually play melee dps or healers.
In all honesty any class is fine if you two box - if you single box you may want to stay away from rogue or warrior till you get some friends. They are awesome in groups but what I said before about soloing while waiting to group is harder with them. Doable but harder.

quote:

e: have you guys thought of getting an irc channel? There might not be enough people playing to warrant it, but you never know. Or what about an in-game channel, if that's possible?

server is shardsofdalaya.com and main channel is #sod. Come hang out! Usually 40-50 people on it at a time.

Tash fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 6, 2010

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Tash posted:

server is shardsofdalaya.com and main channel is #sod. Come hang out! Usually 40-50 people on it at a time.

Ah, I meant a goon-only thing but I'll check this out too, thanks. And thanks for the other answers. Do people usually mind if you two box in a group? Also, how do shaman and druids fare as healers in end game compared to clerics?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Ah, I meant a goon-only thing but I'll check this out too, thanks. And thanks for the other answers. Do people usually mind if you two box in a group? Also, how do shaman and druids fare as healers in end game compared to clerics?

Two boxing is fine so long as you aren't actively bad/hurting the group because you can't play one of them at least decently. Druids and shamans heal decently but clerics in terms of raw healing are better. However each of the healers has pros and cons really.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

There is a goon channel, pretty sure it's #goonsquad but I could be wrong.

Shamans selling point when it comes to healing is longevity. The canni line of spells means they can heal for practically forever, although they're lacking in the group heals department.

Druids are fine healers most of the time, but can run into problems if there is a lot of AE damage and their slow casting group heal (and lack of group hot) can't keep up. They have more utility than clerics, but in raids your healers are pretty much just there to heal, so they aren't quite as highly sought after as clerics.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

People two-box all the time in XP groups, the only time people actively care is when you're doing an obviously bad job at one/both your roles, especially if you're tanking or healing.

Dual boxing isn't really preferred in raids though if you get the job done I imagine people don't care too badly.

Some people do dual-box tank and healer but they're either insane and/or massively overgeared for the job =p

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Xeras posted:

Two boxing is fine so long as you aren't actively bad/hurting the group because you can't play one of them at least decently. Druids and shamans heal decently but clerics in terms of raw healing are better. However each of the healers has pros and cons really.

I was always under the impression that a shamans role in a group was more off healing but the huge thing was slows/haste. IIRC from EQ (8 years ago) slow is like the single most important pve spell and shamans have the best one. Druids make competent group healers but they can solo, clerics simply can not solo anything relevant at level 65 unless they are insanely geared (we had a cleric that offtanked in raids and even main tanked a PoP boss once but he had like 5 years invested). This could be different in sod but from what i've seen so far the solo-ability is pretty similar to eq besides the slightly less downtime.

Umph fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 6, 2010

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
I never played a bard in original EQ and am now thinking I want to try one out in SOD... Are they able to solo at all and do they have at least some role in groups?

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

TheFace posted:

I never played a bard in original EQ and am now thinking I want to try one out in SOD... Are they able to solo at all and do they have at least some role in groups?

Not sure about SoD but bards were one of the best soloers and group-friendly classes in EQ on up past the omens expansion. Their class description is basically "a little of everything", but what they really mean is "great crowd control, decent personal damage, shitloads of group damage and group utility".

The downside to the bard class is almost wholly dependant on whether or not /melody works in SoD. If it doesn't, bard is one of the most difficult classes to play well (good bards can pull bad groups out of the fire). They're so versitile it's ridiculous.

On a personal note, I've been reading up some on this server and I'm deeply considering trying this emu out. I've got two active live clients updated up to Seeds of Destruction, would I need to re-buy Titanium to play or can I just use this client to connect to the SoD server?

Also, have there been any significant changes to enchanters? This was my first character in vanilla EQ for six years and I've missed it since I moved on. I had a brief resurgence on live EQ with a cleric / shadowknight combo but my interest died after finding everything a giant solo fest. If enchanters aren't significantly different I'm totally doing this again, the only question is what to box as the support character (thinking druid or wizard. Likely wizard, just because it's an unconventional combo and it'd be challenging).

Edit: Spelling hits YOU for 32000 damage. You have died.

Mauzeraut fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 6, 2010

JuicedSixFo
Mar 16, 2007
To echo, not sure about SoD, but my main was a Bard back in the day. There's two kinds of soloing as a Bard: charm kiting and swarm kiting.

Charm kiting takes a lot of practice, but once you get it down you can take about 15 NPCs at a time.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

I hate yankees posted:

Are you Torleran? If you are, keep getting at me about your WDHK dragon. I'm Halinforth.

I'm the original Charley. I let a few goons have his info when I stopped playing so they could use him for buffing or groups.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

TheFace posted:

I'm a bard on SoD and the answer to your question is yes and no.

You can chant kite or PBAE kite solo, but that's slow. Melee soloing is entirely dependent on gear to be honest, but at 65 you won't be soloing stuff that gives you great exp (unless you kite).

And as far as melody goes, you can just hotkey commands to play songs, and it's sort of like melody from what I understand. You just have to use /pause to compensate for the cast and gem refresh time.

As far as boxing, the worst thing about a bard is getting bashed and having your detrimental songs interrupted and striped from the mob (like, slows for instance).

I really enjoy the changes the made in SoD compared to live because instead of twisting both positive and negative songs, I can continuously play two beneficial songs and only have to twist around two detrimental songs. Also, you can land two detrimental songs and and still use your DD/stun songs.

edit: Also, as far as grouping, most groups are always going to want a bard because their songs and their ability to off tank adds until they get under control. Enchanters get splattered a lot faster, unless you're ridiculously geared.

However, the server at times seems to have a ton of bards but it usually dies down and except for the regular bards.

Also, expect to have a hard time getting into pick-up raids over more established bards with their relic songs. This is what I'm currently going through.

I hate yankees fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 6, 2010

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

I hate yankees posted:

However, the server at times seems to have a ton of bards but it usually dies down and except for the regular bards.

That happened to me with my beastlord. I was like 1 of 4 regulars who were a beastlord [of course i was the shittiest]. then like a week later I see Bsts coming out of the woodwork. Later on I decide to drop the bst because it wasn't being fun anymore and went Rogue so i could do fun poo poo like steal/pick locks/stealth around and stuff which was hella fun.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Class supply waxes and wanes - At the end of the day you are better off picking a class combination that you enjoy playing. They are all useful - but they are not all equally fun for different people,

Random008
Sep 23, 2006
LOL INTERNETS
What are my chances of actually finding a group levels 1-20? I just started as Breakfast (Frog pally) and I haven't even seen anyone levels 1-10 yet. The reason I wanted to play this game was because of the group aspect and if I'm not going to get to group I probably won't play.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Have you used the global channels to find a group? There are a few pre-10 but usually the big grouping comes after 10. Grouping is less stumbled on and more formed and met here. Also the LFG (looking for group system) works by typing /lfg on to let others know your seeking a group.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I'm thinking of giving this a shot, due to all the good things I've heard of it. I've never really played EQ1, and wonder about some of the classes - is a DPS-based druid viable here, or wanted in groups? How about a good ol' rogue?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Dropbear posted:

I'm thinking of giving this a shot, due to all the good things I've heard of it. I've never really played EQ1, and wonder about some of the classes - is a DPS-based druid viable here, or wanted in groups? How about a good ol' rogue?

A druid's primary role will always be a healer in groups or raids simply because the pure dps classes will do far better damage. Rogues are the kings of the melee dps group, and are arguably the best long-term dps class. They also get a lot of unique skills. The only downside to being a rogue is they are probably one of the worst solo classes, but they more than make up for it with their group and raid contribution.

Valhalska
May 3, 2007

Please do not be alarmed, we are about to engage...
The Nozzle.
Are there any guides on how to dual box out there? I've been thinking of duoing a rogue/healer but have no idea how to get started on that.

Violent
Jan 17, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there a goon voice chat server we can use?

In as Snussin, Halfling Rogue

Violent fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Oolarg posted:

Are there any guides on how to dual box out there? I've been thinking of duoing a rogue/healer but have no idea how to get started on that.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Basically you just run two clients in EQ Windows and use Alt+tab to switch between the two clients. Basically you will be attacking stuff with your rogue while your cleric heals. However, as you level up, you may find it a bit difficult to duo seeing as a rogue needs to be behind a mob to do max damage and rogues are not the best at taking hits. I would recommend playing a shaman with the rogue because of all the buffs that a shaman can give to your rogue (haste, stat buffs, hp buffs, movement speed buffs), and the ability to slow mobs will help you take a lot less damage.

• Locked thread