Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Rangers get track at level 1, but it needs to be leveled up to get a good range on it. Don't know where the sweet spot its though.

And above I've seen the Mistwoods pathing thing, and thats the only place I've ever seen it. You might consider trying out a different newbie zone such as Newport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Carwin posted:

Is this a common occurrence, or just an occasional nuisance? I'm totally cool with some oddities on a FREE PRIVATE server (mob falls through world, lag spikes, etc.) but if 50% of my time is going to be spent dealing with experience-breaking-bugs that wreck entire zones then I'm not sure if I'll have the patience.

One of the huge problems of this server is a great majority of mobs do not have pathing, at all. That's why you get stuff like all monsters in dungeons being able to run through walls because its the shortest distance to you.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

A hazard to himself and others.
Interesting. That's not necessarily a game killer for me unless I can't walk into a dungeon without being aggroed from two floors below or something. I'll have to see how it works out in practice.

An entire zone worth of mobs all gathering in a single spot is a lot more gamebreaking (in my mind) then a mob clipping through a corner to get to me, so I'm happy to hear it's a Mistwood issue. Thanks for the responses.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Never heard of the mistwoods thing until now. Trying to recreate it to fix - did you do anything to get it that way or did you just show up and it was there?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Tash posted:

Never heard of the mistwoods thing until now. Trying to recreate it to fix - did you do anything to get it that way or did you just show up and it was there?

When I've seen it was just there.. like a huge line of 20 or so mobs pathing in a straight line across the river. Course being 65 I just ignored it and went on my way.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

Tash posted:

I've seen it 2/2 times so far so it must be somewhat common. Or I'm really unlucky.

This is me imitating QA:

On Wednesday I made my erud mag and went out into Mistwood. The entire zone was empty of combat mobs and I was running around scratching my head. The bandit camps in the NW corner and in the SE house just north of the river were still populated. Everything south of the river was populated. But everything else was missing. I found ALL of them (15+ kobolds, beetles, rats and bats standing in a clump) just north of the large bend in the river near the center of the zone. They were just standing for a few seconds, then started walking SE, through the water, and up to the zone line where they got stuck briefly and then vanished. I left, but shortly later found them again, going the opposite direction and split up into smaller clumps. At this point I was able to pull a few safely out and hit level 2. After that they vanished permanently as far as I could tell (did not see them again for 30 minutes).

On Saturday in the wee hours of the morning I logged back in. There were mobs in the newbie area and zone pop seemed normal, so I was happy. However when I went exploring down by the river there was a clump trundling around. MUCH smaller this time (5 mobs) but it looked like maybe it was beginning the process of reforming the grand parade from Wednesday. I don't know if that spot (north of the river bend) is significant, or if it's just a coincidence that I found it there both times. The clump walks in a SE/NW line from that point.

My initial thought is that mobs who tether back to their starting points (because their target dies or zones) are pathing to a shared, arbitrary point, possibly at the center of the zone. I have no evidence to support that theory.

Hope that's helpful and isn't tldr.

Carwin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 3, 2010

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The clump is caused by mobs being assigned a pathing grid that doesn't exist. It's a relatively easy fix if someone just gets a dev on the line about it.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

Well we've got Tash on the line so fingers crossed.

Not that it'll matter to me. I'm level 6 and ready to ditch Mistyland anyway.

I just wanted to re-iterate how blown away I am by this game. I'll be tossing a silver membership your way (That's right. Not copper, not bronze, but SILVER!) next week. Even though Cat will probably pull me away from Shards in the near future I want this awesomeness to still be going when I come back. It's probably the second most worthy project on the internet behind the ASPCA.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Carwin posted:

Interesting. That's not necessarily a game killer for me unless I can't walk into a dungeon without being aggroed from two floors below or something. I'll have to see how it works out in practice.

An entire zone worth of mobs all gathering in a single spot is a lot more gamebreaking (in my mind) then a mob clipping through a corner to get to me, so I'm happy to hear it's a Mistwood issue. Thanks for the responses.

I really haven't had the "jumped from floors above" happen except like once or twice in a few months. Pathing is pretty good in dungeons.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

Dragongem posted:

I really haven't had the "jumped from floors above" happen except like once or twice in a few months. Pathing is pretty good in dungeons.

I actually spent some time in the Warrens on Sunday and it seemed fine. I never saw any weird mob behavior except for the expected corner-clipping (which happens in EQ live as well). No unexpected aggro or random trains or anything. Most importantly, I was scared as hell and wound up having to flee to the zone line in true EQ style. Happy times.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
SOD has fully functional line of sight, it's just that there is no pathing system. Mobs can move through walls, but they can't see through them. There actually IS a pathfinding system, written by yours truly, but it's too heavy on the processor to be turned on.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

Rumor on the street is you guys (broadly referring to "those responsible for SoD") are/were developing your own indie MMO. Is this for real?

I find it impressive and a little funny that SoD showcases better design decisions than anything SoE, SE or Mythic have managed in the last 5 years.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Carwin posted:

Rumor on the street is you guys (broadly referring to "those responsible for SoD") are/were developing your own indie MMO. Is this for real?

I find it impressive and a little funny that SoD showcases better design decisions than anything SoE, SE or Mythic have managed in the last 5 years.

Wiz (the original creator) is working on his own game; I dunno about the new SoD admins or anything.

Edit: Even though I don't raid, at 65 and 320 AAs I still have stuff to do. Most people are very helpful and you can get groups together to do some of the wackier stuff. I'm on the Mielech part of the Vah quest now and I am fairly confident I'll get a group together for that soon- just put some effort in OOC and people are pretty cool :)

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 6, 2010

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Dragongem posted:

Wiz (the original creator) is working on his own game; I dunno about the new SoD admins or anything.

Edit: Even though I don't raid, at 65 and 320 AAs I still have stuff to do. Most people are very helpful and you can get groups together to do some of the wackier stuff. I'm on the Mielech part of the Vah quest now and I am fairly confident I'll get a group together for that soon- just put some effort in OOC and people are pretty cool :)

Look for me in game if you need some dps, I'm on same part (assuming you mean froglok spirits / Mielech)

Jotto

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Jotto posted:

Look for me in game if you need some dps, I'm on same part (assuming you mean froglok spirits / Mielech)

Jotto

Alright. I'll probably see if I can't get something together with my guild on Friday night or Saturday afternoon, so I'll see if you're around.

I'm Lenlalron btw, you probably have seen me spam ooc =p

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Dragongem posted:

Alright. I'll probably see if I can't get something together with my guild on Friday night or Saturday afternoon, so I'll see if you're around.

I'm Lenlalron btw, you probably have seen me spam ooc =p

Yeah I seen ya around a bit, and knew you were on here.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I started to play this game, made a character named Zerothehero, and then my friend told me I was gonna get banned because my name wasn't "good enough", so I quit and never came back. Was he telling the truth?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Zero The Hero posted:

I started to play this game, made a character named Zerothehero, and then my friend told me I was gonna get banned because my name wasn't "good enough", so I quit and never came back. Was he telling the truth?

Eh probably not banned but they would make you change your name to something that would fit better in a fantasy environment.There are naming guidelines / policies on the website. shardsofdalaya.com

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I see. Roleplaying, or something, then. I'm out.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Any guilds need a tier 7-8 paladin? 500+ aa's?
fomelo ruach

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

I see. Roleplaying, or something, then. I'm out.

drat not being able to name my character DugeHong or Soldierboyz completely kills my whole experience. I am a huge baby. Peace.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Mr.Success posted:

drat not being able to name my character DugeHong or Soldierboyz completely kills my whole experience. I am a huge baby. Peace.

Because Zerothehero is the same as DugeHong.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
In my experience most people who can't handle giving their character an actual name are either way too obsessive over internet nicks or have crippling authority issues.

It's more of a filter than anything.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

You mention "crippling authority issues" in a server where the names are not just regulated for vulgarity or inappropriateness, but just to force the players to fit into the "story", out of some admin's desire to micromanage the community. But you're blaming... the players?

I want to name myself Zerothehero. It's a name I've used for a while. The phrase isn't exactly unique but my use was inspired by the 70's band Gong. He was a character in a series of concept albums they released. The name isn't offensive or inappropriate. I don't want to name myself Eleria Dawnbringer or some name like that just because some admin likes roleplaying any more than I'd like to name myself Fox_Lover_233 just because some admin was a furry. The last thing I'll do is tolerate being insulted for not wanting to roleplay.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Not authority issues then, just way too obsessive. Theory still holds!

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Zero The Hero posted:

You mention "crippling authority issues" in a server where the names are not just regulated for vulgarity or inappropriateness, but just to force the players to fit into the "story", out of some admin's desire to micromanage the community. But you're blaming... the players?

I want to name myself Zerothehero. It's a name I've used for a while. The phrase isn't exactly unique but my use was inspired by the 70's band Gong. He was a character in a series of concept albums they released. The name isn't offensive or inappropriate. I don't want to name myself Eleria Dawnbringer or some name like that just because some admin likes roleplaying any more than I'd like to name myself Fox_Lover_233 just because some admin was a furry. The last thing I'll do is tolerate being insulted for not wanting to roleplay.

In my view it has nothing to do with authority or roleplay issues. The rule is in place to prevent retarded names, i.e. all the cat/kitty based names that came when luclin first launched on live and the vah shir came out.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Xeras posted:

In my view it has nothing to do with authority or roleplay issues. The rule is in place to prevent retarded names, i.e. all the cat/kitty based names that came when luclin first launched on live and the vah shir came out.

Basically. It started out more lightweight, but it turned out to be impossible to write a "no stupid names" policy that could be effectively enforced (how do you write a rule that allows Zerothehero but not Shootyboyz or Kitkat Meowmix?) so it just ended up being a policy to pick something that resembles a real name.

If you feel that's too oppressive, that's too bad, but I find attachment to an internet nick to the point where you can't play a game without it to be a bit silly.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

I don't think it's particularly arbitrary or confusing to say "pick a name that sounds like a name." It's a free, private server, after all.

If a mod gave you poo poo for naming your character Wrynn because it also happens to be the name of a WoW character than that would be micromanaging. But stopping people from naming themselves bunnybattlerX doesn't seem excessively oppressive to me.

If you loved EQ then Dalaya is absolutely worth it, even if you have to make some changes to your traditional handle.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some people are strangely attached to their nicks though. The appeals box occasionally gets hit with a 15-page essay on how much the name 'Firedude' means to someone and how it is the only reminder they still have of their dead pet goldfish and taking it away would inflict unbearable emotional pain.

Then there's the founts of nerd rage who explode into a litany of profanity in OOC, rename their character to adminsblowme and end up getting themselves banned because of authority issues.

My favorite, though? The ogre named Sweatyballs who repeatedly argued that he should keep his name for RP reasons, because his character had really sweaty balls.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Wiz posted:

Basically. It started out more lightweight, but it turned out to be impossible to write a "no stupid names" policy that could be effectively enforced (how do you write a rule that allows Zerothehero but not Shootyboyz or Kitkat Meowmix?) so it just ended up being a policy to pick something that resembles a real name.

If you feel that's too oppressive, that's too bad, but I find attachment to an internet nick to the point where you can't play a game without it to be a bit silly.

Whether you label them as "roleplaying" or "retarded" doesn't make a difference, it's still an admin's arbitrary decision. You recognize how impossible it is to create a decent rule, but you support it anyway? And it's not "real name" at all, is it? Can you make a John Smith? Or does it have to be an in-character "real name"?

And it's not about an obsession over a name. I already have a character and I don't want to change my name. You can't try to tell me to ignore it because it's "a bit silly" to care what name I have and then support the decision to change it anyway. It's pure hypocrisy. Either it is a big deal, in which case no one would care about my name, or it IS a big deal. You know, I would have been much happier hearing "It's a roleplaying server, if you don't want to roleplay, don't play here," instead of the damage control I'm hearing. But it sounds like you guys don't want new players anyway. What is this thread for again?

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

I've encouraged quite a few people to play SoD and I can appreciate the community Wiz has fostered over the years. I'm not a roleplayer, and neither is anyone I know. You have to draw the line somewhere with the naming policy and where the line is drawn in SoD is more than fair.

Most importantly, the policy is clear. Like the way :10bux: and moderators at SA attempt to filter out the people that tend to turn online communities into cesspools, the policies and GM's of SoD try to do the same to maintain it's community. You'll see a lot of similarities such as prohibiting the use of stupid catchphrases and memes.

All of it is reasonable, and just because there's a clear and simple naming policy does not mean you have to stand around roleplaying in game. What it mostly does is keep people out who would have a tantrum if they can't name themselves after their favorite 80's new wave band's singer's imaginary friend called "SlaveTheMaster".

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think you misread that. It's not impossible to create a good rule, it's impossible to create a good rule without doing exactly what we've done - draw a clear boundary. Making a 'no stupid names' rule is arbitrary because everyone's definition of stupid is different. Making a 'has to be an actual name' rule works much better.

Of course SOD wants new players, but it's not like the rules are going to change because you're unhappy with them, so I don't see what I can do about your grievances.

Finally, it's not a roleplay server, only a small amount of players roleplay, so why should it be labeled as one? Because you disagree with a rule?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

So the rule is "has to be a real name"? Because I was told I wouldn't be able to name my Human bard Freddie Mercury, which is definitely a real name.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
You should probably have read this to begin with, also here is an indepth explanation of the naming policy.

"Freddie" would be OK, "Freddie Mercury" would break the famous people rule.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Wiz is right- in making a good rule you have to draw clear boundaries.

I was hit by the naming policy too- Dragongem wouldn't be a legal name (I have the same sort of fondness to the name).

To me, I'm ok with it. In being unfortunately denied by the naming policy I don't have to deal with clever people who think that "Dumbbutt" are clever names and want to use them. It's very, very relaxing actually to deal with people with non-stupid names.

So...get over it.

Also, the GMs aren't even that draconic on the naming policy nowadays- if it looks remotely decent (*cough* Afish *cough* <- he's cool btw don't nerf him) you'll probably get away with it. Call yourself "Zthero". There, that works!

Also: Why does every paladin I've ever met/heard of somehow have like 3 more tiers of gear than me :psyduck:? Do the same boxes just get tossed around? D:

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 19, 2010

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
People who are going to flip out about being "forced" to constrain to a sensible and fairly loose naming policy are exactly the kinds of people who are going to flip out about a half-dozen or dozen other things during their time spent on the server if the naming conventions didn't exist. And why would any admin want to deal with that?

Discouraging people like that from joining up or weeding them out early is a fine policy, and while I didn't fully appreciate its effect during my time on SoD, I certainly did after trying out the Project99 server and seeing what happens when you don't have a friendly reminder to act like an adult staring your community in the face from the time they start their characters.

While you, personally, might not be one of these people who the admins (and the rest of the playerbase) would rather go without, understand that by-and-large the percentage of people who would raise a stink about not being able to name a specific character something dumb ARE one of those people, and that the easiest thing for the admins to do is impose that as an early litmus test. You can either accept that and change your character name and get to appreciate an extremely-impressively crafted game for free, or peace out because a character name you used as an unimaginative 13-year-old (something we all were at some point) isn't allowed.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Buane posted:

People who are going to flip out about being "forced" to constrain to a sensible and fairly loose naming policy are exactly the kinds of people who are going to flip out about a half-dozen or dozen other things during their time spent on the server if the naming conventions didn't exist. And why would any admin want to deal with that?

I don't "flip out" over stupid rules, I just don't tolerate them. Why would I ever want to play on a server that was so anal that they literally micromanaged EVERY player's name on the entire server? Any admin who freaks out because they can't stand the fact that people might play on their server using a name they don't approve of is probably gonna have a lot of other power tripping issues. It's the same logic you're using, only I don't go into it assuming the rule is a good one.

It's a huge red flag that tells people, like me, who have played a lot of private servers, that you aren't going to have any fun on the server unless you like to play exactly how the admins play. The fact that the rest of you, who I assume make up some small part of the playerbase, make sweeping generalizations about players based solely on their choice of name to use on the internet in an attempt to justify this rule proves how open to outsiders this server is. You'd like to have more people, but only if they follow your rules exactly. Rules that are so specific they get right down to your username. Is this a server, or a frat?

You want to talk about unimaginative 13 year olds? Unimaginative 13 year olds spend their time creating "clans" and "squads" for online games where they force everyone to use a similarly themed name as they run around together cheesing people. They definitely don't name their characters after characters from concept albums from early 70's progressive rock bands from the Canterbury scene. And your assertation that anyone who might be put off by all this must be some lesser form of player not worthy of the same server of you is the absolute height of arrogance.

The only logical step from here is to assume the entire server is full of the same closed-minded, haughty mentality as everyone congratulates each other on how accurate their character names are to EverQuest lore. But if you're going to be so specific and selective, you should probably forget about ever expanding your playerbase. I can't be the only one who went "Wait, the admins are so obstinate that they actually micromanage the character names of every player? See ya." It's no wonder to me why you might have so many problems with undesirable players trying to join your server. Everyone who knew trouble when they saw it had quit the server before they even started playing. Now, I'll thank you all to stop criticizing me for caring too much about my character name when you all apparently care so much more.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
Jesus Christ, just shut the gently caress up.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I think the P1999 thread (which is a laugh riot if you love classic e-drama) leaked into here. Speaking of that thread, if the admins really were babies who gave favortism everywhere you'd see us ridiculing it all the time. (ps Woldo sux lololol)

So, actual content:

Anyone here done the Murk spells? How do you get them? I got my faction grinded up to dubious, but idk when and where I can get access to those spells.

(Pss don't jail me Woldo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010
You just wrote four paragraphs flaming an entire server for enforcing a naming policy consistently. You are a jackass with zero imagination.

• Locked thread