Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Nemo posted:

The initial joke is even kind of funny if you read it in Jen's voice.

I'm kind of sad that something could finally make her back off from Twitter.

Well, it doesn't seem to have. She's apparently dictating her tweets to some third party because she can't not check the notifications tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Outrage culture is alive both on the left and the right.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
You mean to tell me that Jen Kirkman made a dumbass joke, egg avatar twitter users harassed her over it, and then she had a meltdown over that?

no, this is unbelievable. would never happen.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
That joke is pretty clearly about Vince F and other conspiracy theories and not the Afghanistan war

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, she was just answering over-the-top rhetoric with even more over-the-top rhetoric. I thought it was funny. Who are all of these people fighting with her under the assumption that "murderer" is a good and accurate way to describe Hillary Clinton?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yeah, she was just answering over-the-top rhetoric with even more over-the-top rhetoric. I thought it was funny. Who are all of these people fighting with her under the assumption that "murderer" is a good and accurate way to describe Hillary Clinton?

reactionary right wingers not ready to come out of the closet yet and children who's parents spouted these conspiracies and labels for her since they were literal babies and it became an association without any need for justification.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Her book about why she doesn't want kids was so lovely that it actually made me realize I did want a kid.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

reactionary right wingers not ready to come out of the closet yet and children who's parents spouted these conspiracies and labels for her since they were literal babies and it became an association without any need for justification.

It's actually left wing ppl, like uh, one of the Chapo Trap House guys made a tweet making fun of her or w/e. Idk I don't rly follow twitter drama that closely

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Dear Sergio posted:

You mean to tell me that Jen Kirkman made a dumbass joke, egg avatar twitter users harassed her over it, and then she had a meltdown over that?

no, this is unbelievable. would never happen.

I thought the joke was funny... Though, why do you assume it's just non-twitter users harassing her? Even if it were, why does that make it better? Twitter isn't like facebook, it's open by nature so it's hard to filter out harassment before it happens. Also, why is everything a meltdown? She got harassed and decided to ignore it after arguing with people for a while, what makes that a meltdown exactly?

defectivemonkey posted:

Her book about why she doesn't want kids was so lovely that it actually made me realize I did want a kid.

Having a kid to spite an author you don't enjoy seems pretty petty.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ElCondemn posted:

No idea about the book but most of us have seen arguments bad enough that they conjure up much better counter arguments on their own. Spite isn't the only option there.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jen is now responsible for every civilian death to Drone Strikes during the Obama administration, I don't make the rules for Twitter, that's just how it works.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ElCondemn posted:

I would be pissed if I found out I had been that kid.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
You Made It Weird with Pete and Mulaney is a delight.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Live Doughboys just added to LA PodFest on Friday.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Piquai Souban posted:

You Made It Weird with Pete and Mulaney is a delight.

This is true! Also I went back and listened to the first Mulaney YMIW, which is also great, and now I'm listening to the Birbiglia episodes, which are also very enjoyable.

I think I had an idea that I didn't like Pete Holmes / YMIW, and I still don't think I'm like, a listen-to-every-episode-superfan, but I'm enjoying him a great deal more now.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
You Made It Weird is like a bizarro-world version of WTF. Both are excellent as long as neither of the hosts gets bogged down in their own respective neuroses.

I really like the 'no time-limit' policy when things are good. I wish Earwolf had more longer-format episodes where studio time isn't clearly scheduled. One of the best parts of UTU2TM was just how laid back everything felt.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
And the number one best part of UTU2TM was whenever Scott wouldn't hand Scott the cord.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Would I enjoy UTU2TM if I've never heard a U2 album in my life and can only name a couple of their songs off the top of my head? I love Adam Scott and (obviously) Scott Aukerman so I feel like I missed out on something

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

101 posted:

Would I enjoy UTU2TM if I've never heard a U2 album in my life and can only name a couple of their songs off the top of my head? I love Adam Scott and (obviously) Scott Aukerman so I feel like I missed out on something

I used to be like you, now I know the names of all 4 members of U2.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Poopy Palpy posted:

I used to be like you, now I know the names of all 4 members of U2.

No Googling:

Bono, Edge (or maybe it's 'The' Edge) & the other two

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

101 posted:

No Googling:

Bono, Edge (or maybe it's 'The' Edge) & the other two

It's Bonobos, Thedge, Adam Clay-2000 pounds and The Son of Larry Mullen.

But to reiterate, you don't have to have any prior knowledge of the band. You can probably hate the band and still enjoy the podcast.

If you listened to Analyze Phish, it's a similar vibe (two friends talking about a subject but not JUST about that subject, and possibly going on long tangents unrelated to the subject)

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The show has surprisingly little to do with U2 overall. The first episode sets the groundwork for quickly getting through the discography, but that plan gets abandoned when they keep getting sidetracked by tangents. One time they never got to reviewing the album and had to push it to the next episode.

They revisit the first episode in the season-finale commentary episode, which is insane.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I think U2 blows and it's my favorite podcast

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Tatumje posted:

The show has surprisingly little to do with U2 overall. The first episode sets the groundwork for quickly getting through the discography, but that plan gets abandoned when they keep getting sidetracked by tangents. One time they never got to reviewing the album and had to push it to the next episode.

They revisit the first episode in the season-finale commentary episode, which is insane.

I honestly think the show is worth it solely for the commentary episode.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I like to imagine Jon Gabrus is playing Geno when he reads a High & Mighty ad for Hilton Hotels that targets LGBT vacationers.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Really liking podcasts are wonderful #ninety three

quote:

this week me and jeffrey dahmer (Valerie Bryant) listened to Last Podcast on the Left #234 featuring Henry Zebrowski, Ben Kissel, and Marcus Parks.

Jeff is such a cool guy. :swoon:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Tatumje posted:

The show was an excuse for Scott and Scott to hang put more. Also to see if they could wrangle themselves a meeting with U2.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Or at least a free t-shirt.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the story told over the course of "u talkin u2 to me" is more engrossing and has an infinitely more satisfying ending than serial.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Personal highlight of the show for me is the letter and misprinted t-shirts they got from 'Bono.'

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

Really liking podcasts are wonderful #ninety three

Jeff is such a cool guy. :swoon:

This was horrible tbh

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just started listening to UTU2TM and got double mindfucked. I thought it was a relatively new show, so I was pretty surprised when Harris Wittels appeared in the second episode. Then I just figure it's older than I realized, when one of the Scotts says something like "how did Harris Wittels' ghost get in here" or something like that. Now I don't know what to believe.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Wait until they talk about how Harris died and they were glad he was dead which actually bummed me out on the relisten.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Riptor posted:

This was horrible tbh

Well I must have a pretty low bar for comedy compared to you. You proud of yourself? Feel like a big man?

Jerk.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
There have been a couple unfortunate cbb coincidences. Harris' final episode and the Prince reference in the Tiny/Victor Apple song were both recorded before their respective deaths.

Scott fairly recently joked about getting replacements set up ahead of time for his dog Rocky.

There must have been something in the Eagles of Death Metal episode prior to the Paris terrorist attacks, but I'm kinda stretching for that one.

I feel like I'm missing one more major one, but I dunno.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

Well I must have a pretty low bar for comedy compared to you. You proud of yourself? Feel like a big man?

Jerk.

:whatup:

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Riptor posted:

This was horrible tbh

Counterpoint: It was funny

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

MariusLecter posted:

Jerk.

I'm glad my bar for comedy is low. There's a lot more out there for me :D

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Tatumje posted:

There have been a couple unfortunate cbb coincidences. Harris' final episode and the Prince reference in the Tiny/Victor Apple song were both recorded before their respective deaths.

Scott fairly recently joked about getting replacements set up ahead of time for his dog Rocky.

There must have been something in the Eagles of Death Metal episode prior to the Paris terrorist attacks, but I'm kinda stretching for that one.

I feel like I'm missing one more major one, but I dunno.

This is less of a coincidence and more of a requirement for a podcast taping. I get what you mean, although I think Scott sat on it for a while because he thought it wasn't very good.

A thing I learned right after his death and just re-watched and confirmed is that if you just watch the Harris Wittels episodes of Parks and Recreation you'd get a really good overview of the plot and best episodes. Although the ones he's in should also be on the list.

Also your post reminds me of the episode of Doug Loves Movies when he went on and on about Michael Jackson because a disgusting creep and had to record an intro explaining that it was recorded before his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
A lot of the time the unfortunate coincidences happen due to episodes being banked ahead of time, but the Harris ep was not very old.

If the cbb wiki is correct, it was recorded on February 11. Harris was getting ready to leave for NYC to work on Master of None with Aziz.

• Locked thread