Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
You Look Nice Today http://youlooknicetoday.com/

Three hosts who met through twitter discuss their pasts, the minutia of everyday life, and a series of increasingly improbable business models. Updated very, very infrequently, but hands down one of the most consistently funny podcasts I've ever listened to. All of the episodes are great, but the three part special episode featuring John Hodgman is as good as place as any to start.
I can't hype this enough, incredibly under appreciated, incredibly funny.

Fast Karate for the Gentleman http://www.daveandjoel.com/

Self described as "a semi-weekly podcast about stupid cartoons and vidjergames", it's basically two very nerdy, very funny friends shooting the poo poo about video games, food, episodes of 24, or incredibly bad anime shows. I first saw it suggested in a previous podcast thread on GBS, and was put off at first by how geeky it sounded, and was pleasantly surprised when I gave it a chance. Every episode feels like two funny nerd friends of yours showed up late at night with a six pack and some terrible cartoon on VHS.
Good episode to start with: http://tinyurl.com/2evvnkh The guys try to discuss some cheesy old ninja anime movie, but get distracted by how stupid the whole concept is and discuss baby bombs instead.

Edit: Nthing The Bugle, Sick & Wrong, and Uhh Yeah Dude

Zohn fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer

http://www.mediafire.com/?jnxmmm2jrmm

For everyone else who has an irrational hate of Jesse Thorn, may I present to you the lost episode of Jordan, Jesse, Go. Basically in a nutshell, last year the Penny-Arcade guys were on a book tour and were told they were going to be interviewed by "the Sound of Young America guy". So they show up to Jesse Thorns house, are forced to wait with him an hour before Jordan shows up, and what follows is one of the most venomous and awkward hours in podcasting history.

At this point accounts vary, but basically from what I understand Gabe and Tycho called him out on being unprofessional and such, Jesse Thorn refused to release the episode citing quality reasons, then briefly put it up to calm the forum flamers, then pulled it again, and then finally Thorn and Gabe and Tycho all sort of washed their hands of the thing and moved on with their lives.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Narwhale posted:

I'm not particularly a fan of Thorn (used to listen to JJGo but haven't in about a year) , but I've listened to that episode and imo the Penny Arcade guys come off way worse and less professional. Of course, I'm no PA fan either. It was probably just a bad situation due to miscommunication, but I think the lesson we can all take away is don't trust your publicist and know what show you're going on beforehand.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. The PA guys basically act like assholes in order to purposely derail the show because of a perceived slight, and I find the end result absolutely entertaining.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Listening to the latest My Brother My Brother and Me I was pretty surprised to hear the podcast Fast Karate for the Gentlemen getting plugged on the money-zone segment. I listened to it off and on a year or two ago, and I remember it being pretty amusing, if not laugh out loud funny.
Basically it was two friends shooting the poo poo about general nerd topics with a pretty relaxed atmosphere a lot of geeky podcasts lack. Generally they babbled on about food, video games, and reviewed terrible 80s anime shows.

Can anyone who still listens regularly tell me if it's still funny and worth dipping back into?

Zohn fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 25, 2011

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dancehall posted:

The Greatest Movie Ever

I can second this, but you should be aware that while the main host is entertaining and informative the same can't be said about all of his rotating guest-hosts. The ones with his Mom(!) or his friend Sean are solid, but the rest are hit or miss. The best episodes are the ones where they alternately gush and gently rib over-the-top action flicks (Total Recall, Commando, Surviving the Game), or unearth some half-remembered from cable TV B movie gem and put it through some analysis (Streets of Fire).

I asked about Fast Karate for the Gentlemen before, and decided to revisit it. The verdict: they seem to have branched into more of a video game/anime podcast/vlog, and moved away from being two nerdy dudes ripping on pop-culture hilariously. Nothing wrong with that, but not going back on my weekly listen list.

Still, this episode where they riff about some forgotten 80s anime movie, still remains one of the funnier podcasts I've ever heard. If you dig that, then ctrl-f their rss feed and get any episode about 24 or something called "Bubblegun Crisis".

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh hey a Something Awful reference on the My Little Pony episode of Greatest Movie Ever.

Yeah, he has an account.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Anybody else listening to the new Earwolf podcast hosted by Matt Besser, improv4humans? Only three eps so far, but I listened to them and I think they're great.

I like it a lot, and I'd second that recommendation, just as long as you go into it expecting some improv-rear end improv. Me, I happen to love improv comedy so I'm digging it.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer

wulfren posted:

Walking the Room:
http://www.walkingtheroom.com/
So there was some recent drama with the owners of this stuff which has coloured the last few episodes - 10 to 150ish have been good though.

It's about 2 stand ups who talk about their lives, family, crickets.
If I saw either of these men on the street I would cross the street and attempt to make awkward conversation with them before making up an important sounding reason to be somewhere else.

I also highly recommend Walking the Room. It's a little like my all time favorite Uhh Yeah Dude, only with two talented comedians publically reveling in the failure of their careers. WtR has the same sort of in show universe and vocabulary that has been built up spontaneously over the years, and like UYD, knowing the inside jokes and call backs isn't strictly necessary, it does make it better. Each episode tends to be broken up into three distinct conversations where Dave and Greg start off on a topic from their lives or the news and ramble off into entertainingly dark and nonsensical tangents.

I don't know if I would describe what caused WtR's recent hiatus as 'drama' however. For those that don't know, host Greg Behrendt (of He's Just Not That Into You "fame") broke his long time sobriety by taking dog pills of all things. Dave Anthony is IRL close friends with Greg and so was understandably pissed off and hurt and disappointed at the time, but it was luckily just a brief relapse and the show has been back and as good as ever for awhile now.

I recommend starting off with one of the special episodes where a comedian they know guest stars (just pick one with someone you like) to get a feel for the show, and if you like what you hear just start from around the 10s and power through the archive so you too can find out about the habits of the mysterious hobotangs and the secret violent side of Ellen Degeneres.

Oh, and they also started the LA podcast festival, so there's that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Todd seems to be using the 'serious' parts of his podcast just to vent whenever something in the news frustrates him. Not my favorite listening material, but hey, it's his podcast and he's entitled to vent his spleen on it if he wants to. I just wish his boring preachy parts were as entertaining as Greg Proops'.
Todd has been pretty good about giving minute marks to to skip around the non-funny parts at some point during his open-to-the-open-to-the-opens so I really don't mind so much.

• Locked thread