Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Just started listening to the first episode of Pod F. Tompkast and I'm already grinning like a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
For those of you who are like me and haven't quite figured out how to time when the new Doug Loves Movies "plop", there's a new one up now and Leonard Maltin guests again. It's a good one.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Binowru posted:

Do you have a working link? Mine cuts off at about 5 minutes in.

I listened to it all the way through from DougLovesMovies.com > Listen Now on the podtrac player thing-thing (this should be the link)

e: also by my "it's a good one" comment I really just meant it's on par with all the other episodes 'cause I haven't really heard a bad one. There's just something about the podcast that works even though it's super unprofessional and Doug is a forgetful stoner.. it's just all the more endearing. The only episode (I guess 'episode') I didn't really care for was the one with Natasha Leggero and that was just because of HER. I really don't like her stand-up and she showed how utterly dumb she was on the show, so good thing she's hot, I guess..

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 21, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Strange Matter posted:

I chuckle at the start of every episode when he says "Hi everybody! I'm Doug, and I love movies!"

I went back and listened to his stand-up 'Unbalanced Load' the other night and a few minutes after he opened up with some silly crowd banter he said "Hi everybody!" and yeah, I chuckled too. It's infectious.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I've been giving CDR a shot based on my buddy The_Rob's recommendation and I'm liking it so far. I don't mind the characters and I haven't listened to it long enough for anything to become stale or overdone so it's good :)

The Ray Romano bit on one of the episodes with PFT and Kyle Kinane cracked me the hell up. "DEBRAAAA!!!" PFT as Andrew Lloyd Weber is amazing too.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 25, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Phone posted:

PFT gets a lot of respect, but I love the hell out of Nick Kroll's characters. I could listen to Jon Hamm, Bobby Bottleservice, and El Chupacabra all day.

I'm gonna have to make it a point to check out the Nick Kroll episodes. I saw him for the first time on a stand-up special as Fabrice Fabrice and loved him, and I've heard him on Doug Loves Movies and liked him there too so I'm sure I'll dig'em.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I've listened to a few CDR episodes now (thanks Rob) and I love the gag where they start playing a song or some poo poo and keep interrupting it with nonsense or new guests coming on. I realized it was a gag like the 2nd time they did it but it's still funny to me even knowing that it's coming. Also, as well as, with regard to, and furthermore Bobby Bottleservice rules.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

jyrka posted:

Anyone else surprised to find out that Doug Benson is 46 years old? I'd have guessed early 30s or something.

Yeah the first time he mentioned his age (I think he hinted at him being older than people think on Never Not Funny) I was pretty surprised.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Scared of Bees posted:

I am made out of balsa wood in the shape of a plane so I can fly and my landing gear is always stuck open and I have a brain made out of gold that people want to steal and scoop out of my head and I know there is my one true love out there that I can never find.

The_Rob posted:

Don't forget that you have to run on your little tippy toes.

I am but a poor goon and don't have an iPod or anything so I burned an episode to CD this morning to listen to on my rather lengthy drive to/from work. It was this episode :). I love the Cake Boss.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

The_Rob posted:

This is very understandable. It is the most popular (and best) part of the show.

gently caress you guys

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
New Doug Loves Movies is up. Elisabeth Shue has a grating laugh that makes me want to punch her.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Phone posted:

It's been out since last week, duder.

I've been snorting copious amounts of CDR and kinda lost track of time. I pawned a bunch of TVs too.

I just got to the bleeped out parts and remembered seeing something about that in here already. I am the worst goon.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
/\/\/\ :argh:

I've been checking everyday, at least once a day, and finally my clicks have led me to a new Pod F. Tompkast!

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 1, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Jet Jaguar posted:

As long as I can hear Todd do more flawless Phil Donohue impressions, so much the better!

This just reminded me that PFT does a loving spot-on John C. Reilly, which when you think about doing is kinda easy but still, it's awesome and I love what he did with the Andrew Lloyd Weber/John C. Reilly conversation on the new podcast.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Jet Jaguar posted:

There's a Comedy Death Ray with... John Hamm, I think it is, where he and John C. Reilly have an acting competition.

Yeah and John C. Reilly won like a motherfucker

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Cake Boss' attention to detail in that would you rather was incredible. I loved the "WHY DO I DO IT?!" when Scott told him he calls Batman every night to gloat about beating his record, and the fact that Batman wouldn't even know if not for the phone calls. Also his wondering if he'd ever find true love as the tippy-toed gold-brained balsa wood plane was almost too sweet to be funny.

I hope the Cake Boss makes an appearance on the Pod F. Tompkast soon.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
There are a lot of times I wish Aukerman would just shut up and let everyone else be funny but he nails a few jokes here and there.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Flamazot posted:

So am I just a terrible person with no taste or are the amount of comedy songs in Comedy Death Ray really annoying? I've never really been a fan of those. I really like everything else about the podcast though.

Right there with you. I hate the songs. One night I was laying in bed listening to an episode and some song came on with soft guitar and some retard singing about something retarded then at the end of the song, louder than anything previously coming from my speakers, he started just SCREAMING for like 15 seconds and of course as soon as I got up and close enough to lower the volume he stopped.

Sometimes they play Tenacious D or something and that's cool but the amateur poo poo sucks.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

JiveHonky posted:

I don't think he was talking about the "mustard or pants" stuff, I think he was saying that all comedy/novelty music is terrible and that CDR would be much more palatable without it.

(He's right.)

I think you might have quoted the wrong person cause this is what I was agreeing with basically but now I get to type this: MOUSTAAAAHRD

Also I dug Loch and Key too (it's not spelled like you think!)

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Mike Birbiglia is on the new CDR. I just clicked play so I don't know how it is but I'm sure it's good.

If you haven't heard Birbiglia's stand-up, do yourself a favor.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

King Lou posted:

This episode is dragging for me. Just low energy in general. Birbiglia is everywhere right now! (Over exposed book tour)

EDIT: Wow... This episode is really sucking actually. I mean too much music, reading out of the Birbiglia book and then Besser's terrible John Lennon bit really wearing on me. Also the whole Besser as Zuckerberg just doesn't have any punch. So not great.

I ended up shutting the computer off and going to bed before they even got to the half-way mark. Partly due to being sick as poo poo and succumbing to the NyQuil haze I was in, and partly because yeah, the episode was pretty boring.

I really want to read Birbiglia's book now though. His story was funny and I enjoy that kind of writing.

Also I thought the singer dude was 'OK' but that schtick gets old reaaaaally fast.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 14, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

redz posted:

It's always Fugees and Funyuns.

nod, nod

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
This DLM with Wee Man has to be one of the most consistently funny episodes I've heard. Totally wasn't expecting it.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Strange Matter posted:

The Midget bait and switch on DLM was spectacular.

The "Jackass Alums" category in the Len Malton game was also great.

"...So it's really just Johnny Knoxville movies."

Yeah it was more than "Oh poo poo Wee Man is actually funny!" for me. Doug was on fire, pretty much all the midget jokes were funny, and that comedian Myq was really understated or whatever but the entire episode I was just grinning.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

NecronSchmecron posted:

My mind is blown good sir.

poo poo, count me in too. He's really good at the "Wu-Tang New Yorker" accent

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Anal Volcano posted:

Warning: newest CDR contains Wire spoilers in the form of rap :smith:

Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna be starting season 3 in a couple days and I've already seen one spoiler I didn't have any business seeing.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If you're seriously bothered by someone talking about minor characters on a show that's been over for a couple years being killed then you probably shouldn't listen to anything or go on the internet. Holy poo poo.

You're right. No more media for me. PAD LOCK THE WINDOWS MOM OMAR'S KISSIN DUDES

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Pretend Squirrel posted:

Aside from that, I've been listening to Car Talk every week for about four years now.

Haha oh man I forgot about Car Talk. Super enjoyable even if you're useless under the hood, like me. My hours changed recently so I haven't been able to catch it and didn't even think to look on the NPR site for it.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That's because of the large number of elaborate cakes everyone is expecting him to make in such a limited amount of time!

If only they'd have said two weeks and one day from now!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

cioxx posted:

Conan is so smart. I don't know if anyone caught it but when Maron started inquiring Conan about his daddy issues Conan said "It's obvious you're trying to work out your personal issues through me"

Maron is such a sad sack.

I was only half paying attention while I listened to this last night but I caught it too. Even though it was obviously a joke it was funny how quickly Marc dropped the subject and moved on. I like WTF but I've really got to be in the proper mood for it cause it's kind of a downer. Even the episode with Louis CK, funny as it was, was more dark and sticky than "look crazy on the bus cause you're laughing so much" funny.

Also Andy Daly is the new king of CDR and I'm a giant PFT gayfag so I think it's official.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Just checkin' in to say I've seen 2 of Bill Burr's stand-up specials and they both pretty much ruled so there

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
CDR has just been on such a roll lately that this seemed like a step backwards. If this were episode 50 or something I would've just listened to a bit of it and moved on to the next one with Nick Kroll or PFT in it. It was still funny but not on par with the recent episodes.

I've had a lot of time to kill at work lately and I love going through the old episodes. Chupacabra and Cake Boss riffing off each other is probably the highlight of CDR as a whole for me.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Hey Lou I finally ran out of CDR's and Tompkasts so I subscribed to yours and listened to, of course, the SA related one (stoner moments) and liked it so you've got a new listener! I spend a lot of time at work waiting to start working and not being able to read retarded poo poo on the internet so you fill that void nicely :)

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
New CBB rules rules rules

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Bunk Rogers posted:

I'm loving retarded for El Chupa Cabra. Its like my wife when Gallagher smashes those stupid cans.

I love Chupacabra too. The episode with him and Cake Boss playing off each other for an hour was probably my absolute favorite.

I also love how Scott always gives Andy's characters such a loving hard time about dates and poo poo to try and break him, Andy is almost infallible.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Vainglory posted:

Comedy Band Bang

a pretty appropriate typo given the musical qualities of this episode

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

SpacePig posted:

Is there anything out there that's like the Bill Burr podcast, where it's just one comedian rambling on about whatever? I can't seem to get into anything like UYD or CDR, but I'm in love with the Monday Morning Podcast.

Nobody rambles better than PFT. The Tompkast has other features, usually a call from Jen Kirkman, a skit from his live show, and "The Great Undiscovered Project" but he knows that everyone really only listens for his comedy-type ramblings, much like Comedy Bang Bang's Plugs feature.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

t3ch3 posted:

I disagree. The Smartest Man in the World with Greg Proops is the ultimate in rambling solo comedian podcasts.

grrr ok I'll give you Proops.. also I totally forgot he had a podcast so thanks for the reminder. My "stuff to listen to" queue keeps getting bigger and it's starting to feel more overwhelming than joyous :(

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

The_Rob posted:

I think you'll enjoy it. It has a totally different feeling from other podcasts. He is a smart guy with interesting thoughts. I wasn't really sure what I thought about it the first episode, but after I finished listening to it I couldn't wait to listen to another one.

Anyone got a working RSS for his podcast? Google Listen wont recognize it for some drat reason and thats how ive been listening to all my favorite podcasts lately.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Eltoasto posted:

:colbert: Didn't know that he and Kulap&Howard were old friends. Who Charted is on a roll recently.

Something that I like about the regulars of the comedy podcast circuit (by this I guess I mean mostly the regulars of CDR) is that you can tell that they're all actually really good friends, and they play off each other better because of it

• Locked thread