Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Every one already knows Ice T, Bob Ducca, and Huell Howser rule. We all know that Bobby bottleservice is the best though. The man is an entrepreneur, and a Ed Hardy boy.Nick croll makes me laugh, and Any time Jerry Minor is on it will be a good show.

I really am happy all these stand ups found out about podcasting. We get free awesome radio shows every week. It's great. Doug Loves movies is great, and I am enjoying sklarbro country. The Nerdist is usually pretty fun as well. I am happy to see that Paul F. Tompkins actually has a podcast now, so I will be checking that out.

What's up hot dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

bananasinpajamas posted:

Speaking of both of those, PFT did the Nerdist this week, and it should be released soon.

This I an very happy about. I love Paul F. Tompkins doing anything. Freak Wharf was my favorite comedy album in a longgg time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I almost forgot, but Don't Stop or We'll Die are awesome, and I am glad CDRR exposed the world to them.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I also find myself legitimately loving the music Paul Rust does, but other than Don't Stop or We'll Die, I can't find anything else. It's disappointing.

http://paulrust.com/music/?x=109&y=34

This has his music on there to stream, and I think you can download.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Strange Matter posted:

Okay, I may have misjudged Comedy Death Ray.

I downloaded a show from July with Paul F. Thompkins, Todd Glass and a character named August Lindt, a german tourist.

That was utterly hysterical.

So, that's 1 for 2. Anyone have any suggestions for specific CDR shows to catch?

I think number 31 is a classic. It has Micheal Cera, Harris Wittles, James Adomian,Paul F. Tompkins, Jimmy Pardo, and Nick Kroll. It is loving great.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

The latest CDR is amazing. Cake Boss is becoming one of the best.

I wish I could get bitten by a regular cake spider.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mt. Modular posted:

I listened to the second part of the Gelman/Odenkirk CDR today and I was crying in laughter. The "play" was so goddamn funny. I think I could listen to a podcast of just Odenkirk making up poo poo. The Cool Whip Writing competetion?

Brett Gelman reading I-Brain continues to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard, and the play was so goddamn funny. I had to pause a few times, because I kept missing things.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Strange Matter posted:

Bald Bryan's sfx board was great though. Not as great as the one from Loveline, but Loveline had the greatest drops in the history of radio so that's not a fair comparison.

I just listened to the latest CDR, and its won me over. I'm sorry I doubted it. The Cake Boss is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, period. Was that Paul F. Tompkins?

Yeah it is.

I kept laughing about him being bit by the cake scarab. I also think that episode had the best would you rather in a while.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

soru posted:

Like the guy above me, Nerdist, Doug Loves Movies, and Comedy Death Ray.

These are all great choices. WTF is good too if you like honest conversations about life and comedy. The Sklar Brothers new podcast Sklarbro country is really good as well. Even if you aren't into sports (I'm not).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Borrego posted:

Fitzdog Radio is pretty good. Greg Fitzsimmons usually has great guests and is generally a pretty decent podcast. The show is generally around an hour long. One of my favorite episodes is a little shorter than usual but has Bob Saget as the guest. If you're into Saget's comedy definitely check it out because he an Greg play really well off of each other.

WTF with Marc Maron is just really interesting to listen to. Before starting his podcast I didn't even know who he was. Now after listening for 2 months I feel oddly attached to his show. It's not always funny, it's not always interesting, but for some reason Marc's outlook on life is really interesting to hear. He's a very interesting person who struggles with real problems and more often than not it hits home with me. Hearing him quit smoking and listening to his attitude change through the course of the week was really inspiring. Some of his noteworthy episodes are:Episodes 75 & 76 which of course are the Carlos Mencia interviews.

I remember someone earlier mentioning dislike towards Natasha Leggero, I've heard of her a few times and really didn't think too much of her, but drat! On the latest episode of Maron's podcast (ep.101) she came of like a oval office. She kept going on about Marc's ex girls and arguments she's witnessed between them. I don't know if that's her stage persona or if she's that bitchy all the time maybe some of you goons can give me some insight because I don't know too much about her.

And like an abused wife I keep returning to smodcast. Although to my surprise the latest episode(130) was better than the last few weeks of the live shows Kevin Smith is still using dick sucking jokes as a go to comedic crutch. I'm curious to see how many of you listen to the red headed thoroughly beaten stepchild of the "smodfamily" The Toronto Ontario Mo & Glo Show. I don't know why I listen, Malcolm Ingram, the shows host isn't very likable on his own (although I liked his past appearances on smod) and his cohost is his mother. Each episode is like watching a car wreck. I don't enjoy it but I don't stop listening and I don't know why... Any other goons who listen to this one have thoughts on it?

I haven't listened to the most recent WTF, so I don't know how she comes off. I usually like her when she is on CDR though, and she seems to come off pretty nice there.

Also another good WTF episode is his interview with Dane Cook. It really helped my opinion of him honestly. I may not be a fan of his comedy at all, but he came off as a pretty genuine guy, and was at least honest with Marc unlike Carlos Mencia. I can tell that is the one thing Marc Meron hates is when people come on and bullshit him.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Borrego posted:

The episode with Dane Cook really changed my opinion of him as well. I'm not a fan of his in the slightest but I definitely think more of him since his appearance on Maron's podcast. Oddly enough though he appeared on Joe Rogan's podcast and he bugged me for some reason. I guess that's the magic of WTF.

Well Rogan is pretty confrontational, and seems to not be able to really compromise his belief system. Maron seems to really want to figure out the person and see where they are coming from. I didn't hear the interview with Rogan though so I don't know how he was acting.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Speaking of Marc Maron. I loved him when he was on CDR with the Wacky Ding Dongs (The Birthday Boys). I was laughing when he was talking about how he actually had his hands behind his back when he was "tied up".

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Desk Lamp posted:

The first podcast I listened to was The Ricky Gervais Guide To, which was pretty good but I feel that a lot of them turned into just giving poo poo to Karl. The only part I didn't like was when Ricky would start interrupting Karl or Stephen. I'll probably get around to listening to the original podcasts.

I've been listening to You Look Nice Today and Comedy Death Ray. Both great, but I feel Scott Aukerman talks too much when he isn't very funny.

I disagree about Scott Aukerman not being funny. Dude makes me laugh quite a bit.He has this super sarcastic comedy style which I love, and I love his overly phony serious moments.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

He killed me with "Do you think Aladdin ever watched someone from Jaffar?"

His joke he made about John Travolta right after his son died made me laugh so loving hard.

Also episode 68 is up at http://www.earwolf.com

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Phone posted:

What was the joke!?!

It was right after Mel Gibson's son Pilot died, and Sarah Silverman said it was weird that John named his son after a hobby of his. Scott Aukerman then said what he should have named his son men's assholes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

soru posted:

The setup was that it's weird he named his son after something he really loved.

Yes that's right. I still love it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

webster876 posted:

Alright, around episode 15 of Uhh Yeah Dude, the actual laugh our loud moments are rolling in. Congrats, Uhh Yeah Dude, welcome to the team.

Regarding Scott Aukerman... he does have his moments where he's funny, and his infrequent single lines. I love his running joke with Would You Rather where after every question he exclaims how "And that is EXACTLY how you play would you rather", and he comes up with hilarious stuff on the fly for that game. I've only heard them play "What am I Wearing?" once, and at the very end, when nobody has any loving clue how they were supposed to be playing, he ends it with "And that's how you play..." even though it WASN'T how you play. But whatever. I really really hope his Weirder Scott songs are meant to be horrible, because they are. But overall, his hosting abilities and cast of funny friends far surpass his own comedic value.

How in anyway shape or form are you supposed to think that his weirder scott songs are supposed to be not horrible. The whole joke is that they are awful parody songs. If you don't think Birthday Checks is hilarious then I don't know what to tell you.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Scared of Bees posted:

I am made out of balsa wood in the shape of a plane so I can fly and my landing gear is always stuck open and I have a brain made out of gold that people want to steal and scoop out of my head and I know there is my one true love out there that I can never find.

Don't forget that you have to run on your little tippy toes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Phone posted:

Also, as well as, in addition to me saying that all loving week really pissed people off. :v:

I highly recommend CDR episodes with Harris Wittels.

As do I. Don't Stop or We'll Die is the best.

Here is the video for their song I got a perm for our camping trip.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3a16a23c21/i-got-a-perm-for-our-camping-trip-by-don-t-stop-or-we-ll-die

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I can't really get into UYD. I listened to the first 40 eps, and there were a few really good moments, but something about their schtick I can't put my finger on that I don't care for.
Love CDR though. Best characters are Huell Howser, Jesse Ventura, anything PFT, as well as, in addition to, therefore, Bobby Bottleservice. If only there was a female version of him I could go on an adequate date with. Chupacabra is great too.
EL GATO!!!

Who es on da phoonnneeee

Es a baby!!!!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

redz posted:

He was in Blade Runner!

He was also in Captain EO.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

KillRoy posted:

I like CDR because it lets comedians be funny in a different format than just stand up. I don't really like Todd Glass's comedy that much but he's always funny on CDR. His Soobaorou story was hilarious. Scott Aukerman's stand up isn't that great either but I love his hosting style.

On WTF Scott has talked about how he was never a good stand up. He said he was always more into the improv, and sketch comedy world. So he is aware of his lovely stand up.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Bobby Malone posted:

I'm not a big fan of Comedy Death Ray, but I love when they plug their upcoming shows at the end. I'll usually download the episodes and just fast forward to the plugs.

This is very understandable. It is the most popular (and best) part of the show.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Who the hell hates comedy?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just hope he didn't get trampled again at a rodeo for the poor.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

caveman thug poo poo posted:

This just reminded me that PFT does a loving spot-on John C. Reilly, which when you think about doing is kinda easy but still, it's awesome and I love what he did with the Andrew Lloyd Weber/John C. Reilly conversation on the new podcast.

I cannot wait for this play that they are making.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Capsaicin posted:

I think I'd like Comedy Death Ray a lot more if they got rid of the skits. When it's just comedians talking and bullshitting with each other, it's great.

I think that's the same reason Nerdist is my favorite Podcast currently.

If anyone also likes MMA/Pro Wrestling, Figure Four Weekly's Bryan and Vinny Show is absolutely hilarious. They review the pro wrestling/MMA shows of the week and usually just destroy them. There are also a lot of poorly made songs, and a few expertly made songs, and a lot of good funny poo poo.

The entire archive goes back to 2005, but it costs $10 a month to access. You also get access to a lot more of the "standard" podcasts they have on the site, and the online versions of their newsletters.

I disagree with you about CDR completely. Them joking around is fun, but the characters are what sets it apart from any other comedy podcast. Not to mention the characters are usually great.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also I haven't had a chance to listen to the new Doug Loves Movies, and I like T.J. Miller a lot. Why does Doug get angry?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Yeah, I'm with you. The characters are great, especially Paul F. Thomkins'. What I really like are the interactions between the guests who are not in character and the guests who are.

I do wish they'd space out Would You Rather a little more, though. Make it a treat, as Sarah Silverman would say.

Yeah I like that too, because it really shows how talented these comedians are. I think Scott talked about how he likes to see where the character goes when he is interacting with him. See what strange places they will go.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Time to get low brow conversational all up in here:

After Hours with Heidi and Frank

Frosty, Heidi, and Frank is a morning talk show that airs is southern California--for a while it was on 97.1 FM, but it now currently airs on some AM station. I used to listened to the show on my walks home from school, and enjoyed the co-hosts' chemistry and general sense of humor (they are, admittedly, pretty drat stupid sometimes, but I find it endearing. Or something like that).

After they left 97.1, they had a podcast called Frosty, Heidi, and Frank Uncensored, which I really liked, but all episodes have been taken off of their official website since joining the AM station. If you can find them, I would recommend listening to them.

They are now doing a podcast without Frosty (the punching bag of the group, and a source of some of the best jokes and radio moments)--I'm not exactly sure why. I haven't listened to many episodes of the current podcast, but they've had guests on all but one that I've heard. I would recommend listening to the latest one (34) or 30 for a good sense of what they're like.

What I've heard of the first episode seemed pretty boring, and there are one or two episodes in the 20s that might be skippable--one had a boring guest, and the other involved audio issues of some sort (they mentioned it in another episode, I haven't actually heard it).

If you like them, here are an assload of episodes from the FM broadcast: http://www.archive.org/details/Frosty_Heidi_and_Frank_classic_podcast_shows

Edit: Even more episodes: http://www.archive.org/details/Frosty_Heidi_and_Frank_classic_podcast_shows_part2

I actually used to listen to them quite a bit on 97.1, but then they kind of just disappeared. I remember they were pretty fun, and silly. I liked that about them. You're right about them being pretty stupid at times, but they always seemed like they were having a great time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

NecronSchmecron posted:

Meh, I just skip them. I'm one of a few who giggles at Aukerman's dumb poo poo. :)

I don't know how anyone can't giggle at aukerman's dumb poo poo. He is so silly, and makes me laugh.

Also Ted Leo, and Loch and Key are awesome.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I usually don't care for the songs either, but that is why I just fast forward.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

King Lou posted:

I made a formal request on the CDR facebook page that there be no more "Weirder Scott" songs played... ever. Boy, that is apparently an unpopular opinion there. People were jumping all over me! I almost cried!

Well you were wrong so I am glad they jumped all over you. If you can't enjoy Birthday Checks I really don't know what to say.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also Don't Stop Or We'll Die is awesome, and they play them on CDR so there is some good comedy music.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I think you might have quoted the wrong person cause this is what I was agreeing with basically but now I get to type this: MOUSTAAAAHRD

Also I dug Loch and Key too (it's not spelled like you think!)

The chick in Loch and Key had an awesome loving voice.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

homer posted:

Here it is

Also the new Nerdist has Don Glover so that should be a good one.

I am excited about this. I love Don Glover. Dude is so loving talented. I remember even from the old Derrick Comedy skits thinking that he was going to be a big star.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Wait is Micheal Winslow black?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

She killed on the CDR one year episode. And her story about Taylor Dayne is absolutely amazing.

She was pretty great on WTF as well.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I recently listened to the Patrice Oneal episode of WTF, and holy poo poo what a fantastic conversation. I wasn't on board with all of Patrice's opinions, but when he was talking I was interested in every word he was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

bananasinpajamas posted:

And the plugs!

If it wasn't for the plugs I would have nothing to fast forward to.

• Locked thread