Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Pardo used to drive me crazy, but my brother bought me a subscription to NNF so I figured I should give him another chance. He's slowly growing on me. Still can be annoying, but I like how cranky he is.

I just listened to the most recent episode of NNF with Conan, and I'm not sure what I thought. Conan leaned pretty heavily on the "I'm stuck up celebrity (haha not really)" bit, which starts to make people genuinely unlikable after a while. But then, he may have just been trying to fit in on the podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Just skip the first 10-20 minutes. I usually can't make it through the intros.

My other big problem with Maron is his choice in guests. I like that he goes so in depth in his interviews, and doesn't shy away from any topics. But his guests are all the same! They're all his buddies from the comedy scene 15-20 years ago. They all tell the same stories about comedy clubs. Talk to some writers or... anybody else really. Regular people, whatever. He's a good interviewer, but all the interviewees sound the same.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Ben Stiller, Carlos Mencia, Dane Cook, Rob Cordry, Bobby Lee, Ira Glass...

Yeah that was a stupid criticism, especially considering he's a comedian so he's going to tend to interview, you know, comedians.

All of those people are in comedy in some way or another except Ira Glass. And when he branches out to someone like Ira Glass, the episode stands out. He should do more of that.

What's stupid about being sick of comedians? I don't understand why it's a given that the guests have to be mostly comedians. Most of them aren't that interesting.

Maron was on Air America. I don't necessarily want to hear him talk about politics all the time, but I bet he'd be great at interviewing politicians. You rarely hear really personal interviews with politicians, that would be interesting. Lots of other people would be interesting. There are lots of interesting people out there, that's all I'm saying.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

My friend told me that the Penny Arcade dudes do a podcast. I don't really know much about them, has anyone listened to it?

Haven't listened to it, but I heard them on Jordan Jesse Go. Jesse put the episode up on his site, then pulled it down later that day because he decided he didn't want it out there.

They were really awful. Nasty, awkward, and all-around cringeworthy. They clearly didn't want to be there, but for some reason they never stood up and left, and instead sat there like horrible 12-year olds on a family vacation. They scoffed at every attempt to make jokes or talk to them and gave a lot of one-word answers. It was really, really weird.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

Did you happen to save the file? I love trainwrecks and making fun of those guys, so I would love to hear it.

Sorry, I don't have it. It's probably floating out there somewhere. Penny Arcade made a comic and blog post about it.

If you google it, there's the typical internet shitstorm about it, and the Penny Arcade guys and JJGo guys all weighed in. It basically boils down to Penny Arcade saying (a) Jesse is weird and (b) JJGo kept us waiting for a little while before the podcast. And that explains why they were passive aggressive dicks on microphone. Or something.

I wish I could remember some details of the show, but it was mostly just uncomfortable.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Forum Hussy posted:

What a joy, huh?

That is 100% perfect. I don't know why he's sleeping on breakfast, but it doesn't matter.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Kevin Smith's podcast where he interviewed Edgar Wright was really good. Occasionally pretentious, but still really good.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
So Jesse had his wife on as the JJGo guest to announce that she's pregnant. I'm not really looking forward to the show becoming baby focused, but considering how much time Jesse spent talking about his dog, and considering that he basically devoted an entire episode to announcing the pregnancy, I guess that's how it's gonna go. Oh well.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
NNF is a confrontational show, and they spend a lot of time being needlessly argumentative. It's fun, I like that. But in addition to that, Conan is a little bit jerky. No big deal, just a little jerky. He's always on, and doesn't really take part in a conversation, he just steers it towards his own jokes. You can hear that in NNF and in other interviews.

Also, pretty sure that Pardo started as Conan's warm up when Conan took over the tonight show pretty recently. Pardo and Andy Richter are the ones who knew each other.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
It was scarily accurate. I loved when she interrupted to say that her friends mom lets them drink in the basement and she doesn't even care that they're underage, as long as nobody drives!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I listened to the free 20 minutes of the episode, and if I hadn't read about it before, I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Did it get more awkward later in the episode or something?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
The enthusiasm is enough to keep me listening to How Did This Get Made - they seem like they're having fun. (All though The Last Airbender seemed to be tough on them.) And they're only a few episodes in. If in six months they haven't gotten a little more sophisticated, I may reconsider. But for now, I like it.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I think hearing Scott say "my world famous catchphrase, 'what's up, hot dog'" is one of the funniest things on that show.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I love how seriously he takes the stupid disputes. His rulings are pretty much always right on. And he always gets a few amazing lines in there too.

I also like Jesse in the sidekick role - it plays to his strength of being a well-spoken weirdo.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I love Stop Podcasting Yourself, even though I recognize that it's not always a laugh a minute. Graham and Dave just seem like cool dudes. If you're just starting, the Paul F. Tompkins episode from a few months back was fantastic.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
That Judge Hodgman episode was great. That guy was a dick. "Is your dog's name Meta?"

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I only really know UYD from their appearance on Jordan Jesse Go. One of them barely spoke, which was weird. I mainly remember thinking that they were funny and kind of off-putting. But from reading this, I guess that's kind of their thing, so I'll give them a shot.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I like how sometimes he has had legitimate issues with the people, and other times, with Louis CK or Mike Birbiglia for example, Maron basically said "So I was a dick to you a lot - what was up with that?"

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
If you listen to the first, the second episode is required listening.

In the first, Maron talks to Mencia, but doesn't really push back. After it finished, Maron talked to some other comics who've had issues with Mencia and did some research, and decided he needed to go back to Mencia to confront him with the complaints other comics had about him. It's the second episode that has the fireworks.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
It's not a comedy podcast, but this week's This American Life is really incredible. It's about an incredibly strict, probably tyrannical judge in a drug court, which has all kinds of powers that regular courts don't, because it's supposed to be a treatment program. It's a terrifying story and a great hour of podcasting.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

shotgunbadger posted:

Well at least the dude is self-aware of it instead of being the typical douche going 'what? No it's YOUR problem rear end in a top hat!'

That sometimes happens to people who have had lots of therapy. They can describe their problems in detail, and then go right on having them.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Slavery posted:

The best CDR is the episode with Bill Cosby Bukowski, his jelloem "who's the most fuckable huxtable" is the best. Everyone I've played it for loves it and quotes it all the time.

Which episode is that? I must hear it!

Also, glad to hear that other people don't like Adomian. He gets in some funny lines, but his appearances always rub me the wrong way.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Ograbme posted:

I wish so many CDR characters didn't have such annoying voices, or that they had more jokes than "this is the voice I have". Huel Howser, the guy with lots of ailments, and the iBrain guy are the only ones I like.

I agree with this, but there are have been other characters I've liked. The 14 year old intern and Rob Huebel's cop character were both awesome and relatively deadpan.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I use the app Podcaster. It's not the most intuitive program in the world, but it lets you stream AND download podcasts without connecting to a wireless network. It lets you set up rules about what gets downloaded automatically, and you don't need to connect it to itunes. It's a little buggy, but it's a lot better than managing it all through itunes.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Is this about that DLM? Rainn Wilson and the Super director were both kind of difficult. You don't have to plug your movie with every answer.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Also Andy Daly is the new king of CDR and I'm a giant PFT gayfag so I think it's official.

His most recent appearance was pretty great, and I am usually lukewarm on the characters. It definitely had something for daddy.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I'm a big fan of JJGo, but all of these criticisms are correct.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

-Atom- posted:

I listen to podcasts to laugh, not to hear some neurotic comedian talking about nothing for an hour.

I don't find it interesting.

I feel the same way. But it's not Maron that's usually the problem, it's the guest.

Whenever the guest has had an interesting life, Maron is great at getting good stories out of them. He has no qualms about coming off as rude or mean, and he'll badger guests until they open up. But most of those comics just want to talk about how they paid their dues at open mic nights our whatever, and that gets old really fast.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

shotgunbadger posted:

He badgers and harps on guests, mainly projecting his own very deep and very troubling problems and sometimes getting lucky when someone shares them.

I don't think that's a problem. I mean, he has his own interests, and he wants to hear people talk about certain things. That's true of all interviewers.

But he's also very open and honest about himself. Often, that leads the guest opening up, too. Maron doesn't shut them down to talk about himself - he encourages it.

It didn't work with Conan (who as far as I can tell never lets his guard down ever) and it doesn't work with everyone. But when it works, it feels like an interesting, emotional, honest conversation between two people.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
There's a lovely "looking out for my friends" vibe to a lot of these insular comedy scenes. Particularly for comedians who are merciless about going after anyone who pisses them off, but if you point out that Night at the Museum sucked, that's too far, because I know someone involved in that.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, you might not like any or all of them, but worth a look. Lots of people don't like Jesse for what are probably legitimate reasons, but I like him regardless. I also recommend the Stop Podcasting Yourself with Paul F. Tompkins as a great starting point for that show.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Oh hey, speaking of Andy Dick's penis.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Just read that Al Madrigal is going to be a correspondent on The Daily Show. Realized that I've heard him on a ton of podcasts, but I have no idea what he looks like or what his act is.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
He makes two or three jokes an episode - I think it's OK. I actually think he makes a good Paul Schaeffer-like sidekick.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
That's exactly right about Andy Richter. He's got a great combination of honesty and goofiness.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
That's awesome, but it's missing the most common WTF phrase: "You and I have had some problems in the past."

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I like the PA comic, but those guys came off terribly in that podcast. I guess there were scheduling problems, and the PA guys totally hate waiting. That doesn't explain why they refused to participate in a conversation and otherwise acted like middle-schoolers on a car trip. There were a million other ways they could have handled that, including getting up and leaving, and all of them would have reflected better on them than what they chose.

It is interesting to hear Jordan and Jesse sweat, though.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Listening to the most recent JJGo with Rob Corddry. For someone who is basically a professional rear end in a top hat, Rob Corddry is super likeable on podcasts.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Civil posted:

Most other calls seemed to be comedians assuming anything they would say was funny because they were comedians.

That's a perfect description. I usually listen to podcasts alone, while commuting or running. One time I put Eardrop on while my girlfriend was in the car, and immediately felt embarrassed for listening to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
He's a really weird guy, but he also seems like a really good guy, and is occasionally really funny. He reminds me of the friend you like, but you're afraid to mix in with your other friends.

And I actually think he's really good in the sidekick role.

• Locked thread