Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Does anyone know what's up with You Look Nice Today? There were maybe two episodes this year, and one of them was the obligatory live show at MaxFunCon. I really want there to be more episodes. It's the greatest podcast possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
The Bob Ducca bit has been played out. They've brought him back twice this spring/summer, and it's worn out.

Huell Howser is the best character on that show.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

NecronSchmecron posted:

Wait till they get to the Would You Rather game. I lost it when they talked about the pumpkin.

The greatest single episode was last year's Thanksgiving episode. Michael Cera is the guest, and the character is Huell Howser. The Would You Rather had me pulling over while driving to cry.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I can't loving stand Jessie Thorn and I don't see how people like him. He seems like a total douchebag.

Could not disagree more. I think Jessie is one of the most genuinely sincere and nicest people in the business.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Mister J posted:

Yeah I think he's a little too twee for me. Like the whole "America's Radio Sweetheart" thing isn't actually funny in any way, it's just sort of "Ooh, aren't I quirky!"

Also:

:smug: as gently caress.

I think your funny-bone is broken.

Also: secret sex parties.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

webster876 posted:

Alright, because of this thread, I am going to listen to nothing but UYD ALL day at work, and I will see if I can develop a taste for it. I WANT to like it, because everybody else does, maybe I just haven't developed a connection with the hosts. I'll post a trip report later, so :f5: until I get back.

Praise Jah. Seatbelts.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

benito posted:

Don't forget Walt's plan for combating movie piracy: the movie studios get to destroy pirates' computers via the internet with an electromagnetic pulse. It's really his best solution for society's problems since he suggested pairing up child molesters with midgets.

When you start worrying about the sanity of the hosts, is it time to stop listening?

I've always liked Walt when he guested on Smodcast. After listening to every episode of Tell 'Em Steve Dave, I think Walt may be the dumbest person in New Jersey, shore included.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

vonnegutt posted:

Does nobody like Stop Podcasting Yourself? I mean they don't have the most famous guests or anything like that but it's a solid hour of some pretty funny stuff.

I like their silly musical intros for all their bits.

http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/stop-podcasting-yourself

I adore this show. Mostly because it's the Canadian version of Jordan, Jessie, Go!

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Is Doug Loves Movies always like this? Great guests with Doug dragging it down with his whole "Ooops, I forgot I am a silly stoner durpa durpa" act.

If you don't find stoners endearing, DLM is not the podcast for you.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Nothing is more missed than You Look Nice Today. I just wished they would say if it's canceled or not. I need closure :(.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Rudy Riot posted:

Doug Benson on the latest Sklarbro Country is really good. I love all the "behind the curtain" shop-talk. I really like Sklarbro Country over CDR these days because it's so quick and punchy. They make that hour fly.

I really don't care for the Sklar bros. too much. Last time they performed at my school, they did CDR the day after. The entire episode they just grabbed bits from their show. It was embarrassing.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Bo-Pepper posted:

Comedians must be able to generate completely new material each day as if channeling the very muses.

Plenty of great comedians go on that show and are able to improvise and react without resorting to their material.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

HipGnosis posted:

a new You Look Nice Today.

http://youlooknicetoday.com/episode/thats-babies

NOTHING makes me happier than this fact.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

NecronSchmecron posted:

The only reason I haven't checked it out is because I'm not a huge fan of Jesse Thorn (except when he's on NNF, weird) and someone here described it being similar to UYD. I really am not into UYD.

Yeah, if you don't like comedy, you won't like this.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jesse Thorn is a gigantic douchebag.

I have to say this is entirely untrue. His sincere joy of life and pursuit of fun is something I find inspiring.

Also: UYD is ok.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Geekslinger posted:

Pollack is funny, but this podcast felt more like a straight interview.

As for charging Pardo and Gervais timed is just right when they started it. At this stage in podcasting I think it is going to be pretty hard to recreate what they did fanbase or not.

This is my issue with Nerdist. When they're being funny, it's a great show. But as soon as Hardwick says "writing process" I shut it off.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I am really enjoying the podcast boom that's been happening this year. It's my favorite medium, and I probably subscribe to more than 30. It's gonna be a lot more by next year.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

brainsforbrains posted:

It's someone belching directly into your ear, not from across the loving room. Ask someone with you right now to belch right in your ear and tell me it's not really a big deal.

It's headphones. There aren't little people inside it. Calm down.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Coffee Jones posted:

Honestly they must record 5 hours of material for every 30 minutes.

and on the opposite side of the effort spectrum:

Merlin Mann winds up on several of Leo Laporte's Twit podcasts, but if you really want to hear Leo dick around with his iphone for an hour while Merlin says a few nuggets of wisdom go on ahead.

Monsters of Podcasting is coming up, so there will be a new episode soon.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Wyld Cannon posted:

And though I like Chris Hardwick, he continues to be a terrible interviewer. Anytime there's a lull he's like, "So how do you write jokes??"

I'm listening to the Kevin Smith episode, and they've been riffing for a constant half hour now. It's fantastic.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Also, if you decide you like Smodcast, you should givet Tell Em Steve-Dave a try. Bry and Walt are both deeply hosed up individuals in equal but opposite ways. I always enjoy listening to them bounce off each other.

I enjoy TESD in a Jersey Shore kind of way. They're all pretty dim, so listening to them argue without any intelligent interjection (with the occasional exception of Quin) is like watching a trainwreck.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

dancehall posted:

Same with smod, really. Aside from movies and hockey, those guys don't know a goddamn thing.

Mosier is generally a pretty with-it guy, compared to Smith. He's also awesome.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

dancehall posted:

Apparently they just taped a live You Look Nice Today so keep an eye out for that. The live ones aren't as good IMO but still excited.

If them having more time to record means me killing Leo Laporte, I have no reserves.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Faikon posted:

I really have not been able to get into it. Something about the way Kremer speaks really puts me off, and Kulap oversells every line. The concept itself is interesting enough, and the guests have tended to be people I like, but I can't get through an episode.

Old people be hatin'

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

wafflesnsegways posted:

So Jesse had his wife on as the JJGo guest to announce that she's pregnant. I'm not really looking forward to the show becoming baby focused, but considering how much time Jesse spent talking about his dog, and considering that he basically devoted an entire episode to announcing the pregnancy, I guess that's how it's gonna go. Oh well.

I can't wait for it. I really appreciate Jesse's pseudonaive outlook on all things adult. I also like hearing about people's kids.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I'm amazed that the plugs songs are usually really good but Jukebox Jury is almost exclusively terrible.

Also, have we talked about My Brother, My Brother, and Me? I recently went through the archives of MBMBMA and it's absolutely hilarious.

MBMBAM has gotten to surreal levels of comedy. If you don't already donate to MaximumFun.org, their donor content episode and video is phenomenal.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Just published the first episode of a goon run podcast called The Drunken Bulldog, wherein which we exclusively take drunk dials from the local college and riff on them.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheDrunkenBulldog

It's new, and we're pretty inexperienced as hosts, but we have a lot of fun doing it and are looking forward to doing more.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

You Look Nice Today is probably the closest.

Too bad it's effectively dead.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Google Listen is still my favorite podcast app. Very intuitive controls, and it lets you set up a que to play in your desired order.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Vertigus posted:

That's stupid. Chris is kind of a douchebag and he's really not much of a nerd.

Like, I don't see how a really nerdy person would identify with him. He seems more like the kind of guy who goes "I like the X-Men movies, how nerdy am I? Huh? I'm such a nerd."

Don't forget that he watches DOCTOR WHO! Only NERDS watch DOCTOR WHO (and the entirety of Britain)

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Cromulent posted:

I mentioned this in the loveline thread...I'm fine with commercials during the show, and I understand why they're there. However, I think having literally the first 5:30 of the podcast being commercials, live reads and self-plugs is a bit ridiculous. That's not even an exaggeration, I downloaded the Tom Arnold show from yesterday and was zoning out during the ads, and realized it had been more than 5 minutes without a single piece of content. Imagine if a TV show started with a commercial, then the intro, then another 4 minutes of ads.

TV Shows don't have to. A network show can have credits, commercial, and another show promo all playing at the same time. One limitation of podcasting is that audio is a forced linear progression with a single track.

Just fast forward. Also, you pay for TV.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I love everything that comes out of that network, and am a member. MBMBAM is probably the greatest thing possible.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

To be fair he also delights in creating scenarios to insert himself in where something horrible will happen unless he is forced suck someone's dick. :)

Hearing the evolution of this condition is the single greatest reason to listen to Smodcast.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

substitute posted:

Boy, Scott Aukerman likes pretty terrible music. I don't know if this is surprising, or if it makes perfect sense. Maybe both.

Some people like dance-pop.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I'm still a student, but when I start searching around for jobs after university the ability to listen to podcasts is going to be a factor.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Self-pimping seems to be the cool thing to do here, so I'll jump in. We just finished the second episode of our drunk-dial call-in show, The Drunken Bulldog. We have a Google Voice number that takes in voicemails and texts for us to berate and laugh at.

We are also looking for new hosting, so please let us know what you like.

http://goo.gl/uccGW

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Creflo Chronicle posted:

Well, at least you warned us!

Speaking of the Pod F. Tompcast, has it changed at all from the first 3 or so? I listened to the first one when it first came out and was put off by the rambling, and the fact that the characters he was doing seem to be doing lines rather than having a conversation. Everyone has been talking about how great it is in this thread so I picked it back up and listened to two more, but I'm still feeling the same way. I really love PFT but the first 3 episodes just aren't doing it for me. Is the Tompcast just not for me?

I only enjoy the phone call segment. The character stuff just seems self indulgent.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
For those of you jonesing for You look Nice Today, Merlin Mann has a new show with John Roderick called Roderick on the Line. Feels like home.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Glitterbomber posted:

Didn't he do a whole dumb thing over Red State where he basically held a non-auction for production rights, only to give it to himself? He did something crazy with Red State that was meant to be a 'nya nya' to 'big hollywood' or whatever.

Nobody wanted to pick it up, so he did it himself. It really paid off too. That movie is seriously a league above his other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Behold! A Elk! posted:

Hey would it be worth it to put together a Podcast Eating Contest thread? Does anybody still like it here? It's one of my favorites and no-one has made a thread. I know a lot of people got mad at the burps but they really cut down on those. Anyway, I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

I'm all for this. I desperately love their show, if for no other reason than they have no sense of a decency filter. If you don't know if you like the show or not, go listen to the episode where they sing about "Summer Memories."

• Locked thread