Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Am I the only person around who feels like the Smartest Man In The World podcast has fallen off a loving cliff? All Greg does these days is ramble about really fuckin' old movies, talk about all the gifts he's getting, and then rage against the political machine. He's so bitter and unhappy about politics, and there's no sense of humor to it. I've been listening to some of the old episodes, and it's like night and day from when he first started. I get that this means a lot to him, but if it's making you all jaded and unhappy, dude, maybe... do something about it? If Al Franken could, Greg could do a state senate run in Cali.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why is Greg Proops getting more insufferable every week? Every show is just an extended list of gifts fans have given him that night, obituaries, and more of his loving list of things he'd do as God-King Emperor, seeing as he's apparently forcing laws through left and right despite that being a Congress thing.

Oh, and him getting really loving pissed off over people questioning his support of Hillary, despite Bernie's politics matching Greg's way, way better. And then he tries to preemptively cut off criticism of his stance by saying how much of a feminist he is and if you think he's voting Hillary because she's a woman, etc etc etc... But that's it exactly! He doesn't ever list anything she's done that is why he's voting for her, just that "it's about time to let a woman be in charge". Yeah, I agree! But Warren won't run!

Ugh. I've listened every week since 2011 or so, and it makes me super sad that I might stop listening, but its getting really hard to bother.

Edit: going back to listen to old episodes is like night and day. :smith:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SoupyTwist posted:

edit: My favorite thing was one week he read an email saying "Hey, it's great that your a feminist but stop calling all women 'girls'." to which he said "Fair enough!" then continued to do it next week (and so on).

For such a staunch feminist, he sure is proud of talking about his beloved movie stars from whenever the gently caress in terms of physical appearance and that being it.

And his hate-on for any modern movies, especially superheroes and blockbusters, is funny but not for the reasons he wants it to be funny.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been jumping in and out of listening to the Nerdist podcast, and I get that Hardwick is a recovering alcoholic, but does he have to act like any mention of alcohol is like a five year old being taunted with cooties, and have to run in the opposite direction shrieking? I was listening to the recent one with George Carlin's kid and she made an offhand joke about tequila shots, and Hardwick... Well, see aforementioned.

He's gotten way better at interviews since I stopped listening back in 2011, though. That's for sure.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimbozig posted:

So I've been listening to Judge John Hodgman for a while, and he's usually pretty good at finding compromise, but this latest ruling made me lose a huge amount of respect for him. (If there's a different thread to talk about JJH instead of this one, let me know.)

The situation is that a couple came on the podcast about an activity that they sometimes perform together and they both enjoy while mutually consenting, but that one partner insists on doing alone every night before bed and disturbing the other's sleep. The plaintiff asked for this activity to occur in another room. The ruling was that yes, the activity must occur in another room, but that both partners must do this activity every night regardless of their mood or interest or consent. The judge further asserted that it would be fun to do this every night even when the plaintiff had no interest and just wanted to sleep.

Yeah, I described that in an intentionally provocative way, but it was really hosed up how obvious it was that the ruling was completely unacceptable to the plaintiff and will not be followed.

Dacap posted:

Also yeah, gotta agree his decision on that last case was wrong. Just to clear up what he was forcing the guy to do: the lady was an actress who learns her lines better by reciting them out loud to herself before she sleeps. Hodgeman's decision was that her boyfriend has to run lines with her in a different room every night instead before bed.

What the gently caress. :stare: that's not describing it in an intentionally provocative way, that's being a misleading rear end in a top hat.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimbozig posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off over here that you guys read my post and thought Hodgman actually ordered marital rape. He's not THAT bad.

I believe I was pretty clear in saying that you're a dumb rear end in a top hat

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Riptor posted:

If that show didn't have Ben Kissel on it it'd be great. But boy he just sucks the funny right out of the room

How you're able to say that when Henry Zubrowski is on that podcast, I have no idea. When he starts SHOUTING like a LOW RENT CHRIS FARLEY AH AH AH BAH GAH about some REALLY LAME IRONIC RACIST JOKE, it makes me want to scream. Ben is... Kinda unfunny. Henry can even be funny when he is a bit less worked up, but when he starts gabbling and stumbling over his own words, he pretty much is never funny.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're right. That's exactly why I tried and immediately stopped listening to Abe Lincoln's Top Hat. But I'd rather he stay sleepy and reacting to Henry and Marcus than be the focus of the show. He's not quite so bad there.

Isn't there a standard belief in comedy that you spend a period of time mimicing someone you like? That's what I feel Zubrowski is doing with his lovely Chris Farley routine. The dude has gotten way better since the beginning of the podcast, and the only other good comedians-covering-serial-killers podcast is My Favorite Murder. They pretty well stay away from doing heavy hitters and big events, so it's LPotL or nothing if you like treating horrific poo poo with comedy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Yea, I'm working my way backwards and JUST got to the Leonard Lake and Charles Ng eps after posting here.
Oh God. Henry. No. Stop. Please. I say as Henry slits my throat and dismembers me with his Charles Ng voice.
"He died a virgin." he writes my parents.

I'm giving him SOOOO much leeway with his bits cause of how much I love Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell.

Those were pretty bad. Wait until you get to the Son of Sam episode. Henry needs to chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

He's not still doing that, is he? I stopped listening during the election, and I was thinking about (finally) coming back to it. :sigh:

Yeah, has Greg chilled the gently caress out? Dude started getting up his own rear end with his endless eulogies and thanking profusely every person who gave Greg a thing that night, and then would just rant about how bullshit it was that everyone wasn't sucking Hillary off as much as he was. I just want him to be like the first couple years, when he'd just poo poo on Bush for a while and be a snarky gently caress.

• Locked thread