Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Thank you for this Thread. You've all listed a lot of REALLY good podcasts.

There is a podcast called RISK! Hosted by Kevin Allison formerly of The State. http://risk-show.com/ It is along the lines of The Moth podcast but I've noticed that, for the most part, the story tellers are mostly comedians and mostly hilarious.

On a side note, I subscribe to the premium Never Not Funny feed and I can't get enough of it. It's well worth the price and the video just adds to the fun. They also have individual episodes up if you don't want to pay $20 for 26 episodes and some bonus ones in between. I think Marc Maron has a premium feed too, which I'm tempted to subscribe to as well. Don't be hesitant to pay for a good podcast or two, especially from very funny comedians like Jimmy Pardo and Marc Maron.

Edit: There's also Walking with Michelle. It's updated infrequently but is a pretty funny one too. http://walkingwithmichelle.blip.tv/rss

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

KING OF BLOGOSPHERE posted:

How many of the comedy death rays have people doing characters? I listened to 63 and 62 after hearing how many people rave about it, and they were both awesome for the first 30 minutes and then some lame jerk came in doing a dumb character and completely ruined the rest of the show.

I didn't like it at first either, but listening to them more and more they definitely grew on me. Any of the characters by James Adomian or Paul F. Tompkins is just gold. They usually say who does the characters at the beginning of the show or in the itunes description.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Do they explain why they posted early? Not that I'm complaining or anything. I haven't gotten to it yet. They are usually live on Friday and post the podcast shortly after.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Strange Matter posted:

I guess I just don't like people playing characters on radio/podcasts. When I listened to the Adam Carolla podcast I skipped any episode with Van Stone or that fake Republican guy. I like it when people are funny being themselves :shobon:

Daww... I like Republican Senator Richard Martin :( (played by Paul Gilmartin).

It's cool that you don't like them though. I've had to realize slowly that comedy is subjective. By keeping this mindset, even though I may not find a certain thing funny, I've learned to understand why people find it hilarious. An example would be; I HAAAAAATE Tim and Eric. I just find almost nothing about them funny. I can see why people do though. Sometimes a dude jumping out of a dumpster yelling "SPAGET!" is hilarious to some. Who am I to look down on you for it just because I think it's dumb and not innovative at all. I get why it's supposed to be funny, it's just not for me. Ok, rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I tried Uhh Yeah Dude earlier this week and couldn't get into it. I'm going to try again today because the praise for it is ridiculous ITT.

I'm curious of all the podcasts recommended here what is one that everyone just couldn't enjoy or eventually ?

I listened to Jordan, Jesse, Go for a few months but it had consistant stretches of boring "segments" in every episode that I just couldn't take it. It's weird because when either of them are on Never Not Funny or the one time I heard them both on Adam Carolla, I loved them! It's weird, I'm not gonna lie.

I also ditched Adam Carolla for similar reasons. That and his opinions can get grate my nerves.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

webster876 posted:

I'm listening to the backlog of CDR and the really gross food critic with the phlegmy voice is making me laugh so hard i'm about to pee my pants at work, and is seriously hindering my production, not to mention the fact that I had to stop working to tell the internet all about this. I'll admit, some episodes of CDR are kind of miss, but there is SO much more hit.

Wait till they get to the Would You Rather game. I lost it when they talked about the pumpkin.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

bananasinpajamas posted:

I heard of Huell Howser from Carolla's days on Loveline, years ago. It lead me to Youtubing him a little while back and boy, Adomian is pitch-perfect.

Also I wonder how many people know that Adomian's food critic character is based on a real person?

I had a feeling and it was when I heard Walking with Michelle with James Adomian that confirmed it. Is there a picture of this dude?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Hey, fans of NNF season one and/or Mike Schmidt: I made this in like 3 minutes on zazzle.com

Hopefully somebody gets the reference...

You're going to make me buy the first two seasons I don't have of NNF JUST to get this, aren't you.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Jeez, PFT is everywhere this week. He's on the latest Never Not Funny. I'm not sure when the free drops, but the primo dropped today.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

bananasinpajamas posted:

The combo of PFT and NNF is about as good as it gets

It's been mentioned before, but Jimmy and Paul work so well off each other. Both, along with Scott Aukerman, are just wonderful improvisers.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
El Chupicabra with Jon Hamm makes me laugh like an idiot. "MMMMMASCULINIDAD!"

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

bananasinpajamas posted:

Speaking of, Todd is back this week on Comedy and Everything Else :allears:

Why did he leave? It was never clear, but hints lead to something between him and Jimmy Dore.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
This may have been mentioned before, but Kevin Pollak is on this week's NNF and apparently he has a show too, Kevin Pollak's Chat Show.

I've only heard the first two episodes and even though he's still fleshing things out at that point, it's REALLY funny. He has Levar Burton off the bat which is pretty awesome. Check it out. :)

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I assume he does it to make the Audience feel he is addressing them. He is all about the fans from what I've heard.

I must also state that I only have the audio because I listen to the majority of my podcasts at work. Obviously the video is a "no, no" here.

Edit: Please try to ignore the amount of times he uses the word "literally". He hasn't done it a lot on these first couple episodes but it was every other word on NNF this week. I find him incredibly funny, though, so the teeth grating annoyance is quickly off set by the amount of funny Pollak produces.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 2, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Bo-Pepper posted:

I love so many of these podcasts, but why do every single goddamn one of them constantly use the word "literally" in a dubious way? It grates on my pedantic soul like a hasp.

It's one of those things that's spreading like overly using the word "like". Most of these podcasts are coming out of California or other parts of the west coast right? I hear it a lot where I am so I'm not singling it out. I'm just suggesting it may have started there.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I can't, friend. I just don't hold that kind of power.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
He definitely snapped a little but played it off, but as far as I know he only got to 4 people. So yeah, there was a bit of bullshit. Whatever though it still turned out to be a good one.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

soru posted:

The Would You Rather from the CDR episode with Robb Corddry, Lake Bell, and the Cake Boss is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

It was amazing, but I still laugh my balls off at the one with Brian Posehn and Meryl Schindler.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Meh, I just skip them. I'm one of a few who giggles at Aukerman's dumb poo poo. :)

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

dancehall posted:

I dislike Garfunkel & Oates. They do not understand how two people singing at the same time is supposed to work.

But they're SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!! :swoon:

:rolleyes:

I actually don't mind them too much. Their songs can be kind of funny, but I only tolerate SOME comedy songs. I agree for the most part on that opinion.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

King Lou posted:

I made a formal request on the CDR facebook page that there be no more "Weirder Scott" songs played... ever. Boy, that is apparently an unpopular opinion there. People were jumping all over me! I almost cried!

Let me guess; "IT'S FREE, WHO CARES!!!" and "THEN STOP LISTENING!!!!"?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I got a couple Don't Stop or We'll Die songs stuck in my head, so I'll vouch for their goodness. :cool:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I third that statement.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
The "Good One" Robot always makes me laugh. :)

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Strange Matter posted:

Also I did not know that David Holmes is gay.

As Jimmy Pardo said; "He's the straightest gay man". Jimmy also referred to himself as the "gayest straight man" in that same conversation. :D

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Is there any way to get the old Doug Loves Movies episodes? Were they ever on iTunes?

Most, if not all, are right here.

http://ilovemovies.blip.tv/rss

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I thought Swardson was pretty funny on DLM. He's a drunk so he's going to be somewhat unreliable. You're right though, he was better on WTF.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Awesome. You are awesome.

:hellyeah:

Scott Thompson is on the newest NNF. Great episode that gets better in the Primo.

Edit:

Majorian posted:

So I'm about a month late on replying to this, but yes, KPCS is an amazingly funny and interesting show. I've been onboard for about a year now, and it's easily my favorite podcast or internet series. He has lots of interesting folks on who I've never even heard of, or know very little about, and I usually end up fans of them after an hour and a half or so.

Probably my only complaint at this point is, while I do genuinely like Jaime and think she's funny, her increased presence on the show seems to kind of come at the expense of Sam Levine, who I think has great comedy chemistry with Kevin. But I do like her, so that's a pretty minor complaint.

Anyway, I have a tough time picking a favorite episode in the show, but James Urbaniak really impressed me. I'm so charmed to see that his natural voice really is Rusty Venture's.

It has been a while, huh? I am deep into the KPCS now and it truly is one of the best. I do like Jamie but I don't think she overshadows Sam all that much. As long as she's being funny and or interesting, its doesn't matter much to me.

If you want a really interesting episode, there's one with Rob Leggato. There's still funny in there, but it really goes in depth into the guy's career. That blew my mind because before I gave up on my idea on being in the special effects biz, I looked up to Leggato and liked what he'd done for the special effects industry mostly because of interesting simple ways to do some thing. Give it a listen, it's a good time.

I can't believe I missed James Urbaniak on that huge episode list. Can't wait to check it out.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 29, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
There's an audio version of Kevin Pollak's Chat Show. He even says it gets more Downloads than the video one.

Majorian posted:

I have difficulty deciding which bit has been my favorite so far: Hank Azaria's "Poker Rabbi," or Kevin and Dave Coulier doing Albert Brooks and Bob Einstein/Super Dave.

This hands down. I laughed like a dumbass at this because Coulier's Super Dave is loving spot on. Also, I'm pretty sure the back and forth was between Kevin and Dave.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
It's been a joy seeing all these Jimmy Pardo comments. :v:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Damnit, A PRIZED MULE, I'm cleaning house. You know when I slice, I slice like a loving hammer!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Just got finished with the new DLM. Most certainly one of the funnest episodes I've heard. And yes, it was hilarious too. :)

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

BinaryW00kie posted:

Lithgow's sketch he gave out as a prize.

Holy gently caress, this is awesome. You're awesome!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

nemoulette posted:

Doug is an unfunny prick...

I... RESPECT... YOUR... OPINION... :argh:

That was tough to get out. In all honesty, I've met the guy and didn't get this impression at all.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Hearing Marc's voice quiver like that was pretty tough.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

(Psst....I don't know if you guys have noticed it, but WTF, at least those first 8-10 minutes of the show, are kind of like an audio diary for Marc.)

Oh, hell yeah I've noticed. I especially love it when he was in the UK or Ireland when he was just walking around describing the place. I really like the beginning of WTF just as much as the rest of the show. The format is fantastic.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
You're right in saying that would you rather is much better than Judge Jimmy. I'm thinking Jimmy is in agreement with you too because they haven't done it or stupid question in a while. Though it may have been mostly in jest he says they just do it when the guest drags. Lately the guests have been great though.

Excuse me, I'm two minutes into the Jon Hamm episode and it's already hilarious. :)

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

redz posted:

I've been listening to season 3 of Never Not Funny and any time they make jokingly yell at Andrew Koenig I feel a little bad. I know it's really far away but I don't want to get to the episodes were he isn't there anymore :(

I can't quite listen to those episodes anymore. It gets easier and the new ones are just as good. Elliot's camera work gets a little funky at times but he's a good shoe filler.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

And on the new Jay and Silent Bob Get Old, Jay mentions he wants to do a podcast of him and his friends playing D&D live at SModcastle which would rock.

I believe they mentioned it being on THAT podcast, which I was hoping they wouldn't do. I play nerdy games but I can't stand D&D. I don't know if I would enjoy hearing even them playing it. I'm (for once) on Kevin's side of not wanting to participate. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Sock The Great posted:

Just discovered the magic that is 'Doug Loves Movies'. Can believe I slept on this one for so long.

Are only the last 25 eps or so on iTunes?

Just Google his backlog. It's up somewhere, just not iTunes.

• Locked thread