Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

NecronSchmecron posted:

This may have been mentioned before, but Kevin Pollak is on this week's NNF and apparently he has a show too, Kevin Pollak's Chat Show.

I've only heard the first two episodes and even though he's still fleshing things out at that point, it's REALLY funny. He has Levar Burton off the bat which is pretty awesome. Check it out. :)

So I'm about a month late on replying to this, but yes, KPCS is an amazingly funny and interesting show. I've been onboard for about a year now, and it's easily my favorite podcast or internet series. He has lots of interesting folks on who I've never even heard of, or know very little about, and I usually end up fans of them after an hour and a half or so.

Probably my only complaint at this point is, while I do genuinely like Jaime and think she's funny, her increased presence on the show seems to kind of come at the expense of Sam Levine, who I think has great comedy chemistry with Kevin. But I do like her, so that's a pretty minor complaint.

Anyway, I have a tough time picking a favorite episode in the show, but James Urbaniak really impressed me. I'm so charmed to see that his natural voice really is Rusty Venture's.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

NecronSchmecron posted:

If you want a really interesting episode, there's one with Rob Leggato. There's still funny in there, but it really goes in depth into the guy's career. That blew my mind because before I gave up on my idea on being in the special effects biz, I looked up to Leggato and liked what he'd done for the special effects industry mostly because of interesting simple ways to do some thing. Give it a listen, it's a good time.

Yeah, that's definitely a good one - I was impressed with how good of a storyteller he was. I wasn't expecting it to be that good of an interview.

quote:

I can't believe I missed James Urbaniak on that huge episode list. Can't wait to check it out.

He was actually on the "Drones" episode briefly too, but the one with the full episode is better. It's hilarious to close your eyes and listen to Dr. Venture's voice being uncharacteristically charming and pleasant!:aaa:

I have difficulty deciding which bit has been my favorite so far: Hank Azaria's "Poker Rabbi," or Kevin and Dave Coulier doing Albert Brooks and Bob Einstein/Super Dave.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nemoulette posted:

Holy poo poo, Kevin Pollak has his own show? And the episodes seem to be over two hours? And guests include Eddie Izzard? Yeah, I'm flunking out of uni.

E: poo poo, they're videos? Can't fit those on the Nano.

I can get them on mine, although I have a pretty limited collection of music on my Nano right now.

Evil Agita posted:

Lithgow?

Please God, let it be so. Lithgow had better not flake out although he inevitably will.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 29, 2010

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

This hands down. I laughed like a dumbass at this because Coulier's Super Dave is loving spot on.

I know, I'm pretty good at mimicking voices myself, but I have no idea how to make my voice crack like that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Phone posted:

Chris Hardwick doing the Pardo impression was hilarious. Chris, Chris, am I saying that right? Chris?

My favorite part about this is how much Pardo sounds like a slightly higher-pitched Hunter S. Thompson.

And I will also be among the sleep-deprived due to the new Tompkast.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

On that note -- Marc released a podcast over the weekend. It's NOT a WTF, and in fact is pretty heavy (he's discussing the deaths of Robert Schimmel and Greg Giraldo), but it gives a good sense of the aspects of his personality that makes the show appealing. Well, appealing to me, at least.

It's definitely worth a listen - kind of exemplifies the best aspects of the world of standup, especially the respect and admiration so many comics have for each other.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Is Doug Loves Movies always like this? Great guests with Doug dragging it down with his whole "Ooops, I forgot I am a silly stoner durpa durpa" act.

I wouldn't say "always," but definitely way too often. He gets great guests a lot of the time, but he himself is oftentimes the weak link of the show.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Yeah, I completely agree with you on that. On a similar topic, James Adomian seems like he's really only funny (and oh poo poo is he completely hilarious) when he's doing characters on CDR. Otherwise, nothing special. Seriously, his Huell Howser kills me.

It would kill me if Dana Gould's wasn't vastly superior.:smug:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bananasinpajamas posted:

what's this poo poo

The harsh but fair bitchslap of truth, sirrah. Gould's is vastly superior because it deals with Huell's barely-suppressed sexual proclivities and the murderous rage that lies beneath his thin-but-constant veneer of childish glee.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Evil Agita posted:

But you gotta admit he is one phlegmy dude.

He really is - I wonder if he's a smoker.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bananasinpajamas posted:

well. so does Adomian's, really

Eh, not quite as well, in my book. Don't get me wrong, I love Adomian's Huell too. But there's something special about Dana Gould's interpretation. Not the least of which is the fact that it's pretty much the only funny thing he does.:smith:

fake edit: Okay, "Shotgunnin' McCain" on the Carolla show was pretty funny too.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rudy Riot posted:

I really like the Jen Kirkman phone calls. The ongoing skit about the "world's greatest musical" is getting better but didn't really click for me the first 2 episodes. I love all those characters when he does them on CDR but it's been a little stilted on the podcast so far. This latest one was looser and pretty good. I haven't liked the taped bits from his Largo shows. They were probably hilarious in person.

I think he needs to do a separate podcast that's entirely Dame Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber.

And yeah, the Largo bits don't really work just as poorly-recorded audio clips without visuals.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I'm not really a fan of "Sir Dame Andrew Lloyd Webber" though. We need some more Cyber Thug takeovers!

I've never seen so much incorrectness in two sentences. If you didn't laugh at "Ga-HOOOOOLE!", you have no soul.

(also, it's a funny impression because it's more of a take-off on American perceptions of the British than an actual impression of ALW himself)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Wait! You mean to tell me that this is some sort of comedic character, performed by a professional comedian, and not actually the most famous musical composer in modern history!? Please tell me more about these so-called "take-offs".

No, retard, I'm saying it's meant to be more of an absurdist joke than an actual impression of the man himself. Calm down.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Yeah, as I was saying: I GET IT.

When you said "not actually the most famous musical composer in modern history," you made it seem like you were unclear as to what an "impression" is. Also, given that I don't know you personally or know your podcast listening habits, I had no idea that you were well-acquainted with the show. For all I knew, you could have been a first-time listener. Thus my explaining that it's absurdist humor.

Once again, calm down. No one's trying to insult you or your intelligence here.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 29, 2010

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Evil Agita posted:

To be fair you DID call him a retard.

...fair point.

Okay, A PRIZED MULE!, no one was initially insulting your intelligence.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I loved the WTF with Ira Glass. I'm just getting into This American Life myself, and I really didn't know all that much about him, so it was interesting to hear his backstory. I also agree that the story Maron told about the woman he was seeing would make a pretty excellent TAL story.:laugh:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

So Greg Proops has released the first episode of "The Smartest Man in the World," and it's pretty much my new favorite podcast.:swoon: If you like him and his act, I think you'll love his podcast, since it's pretty much distilled Proops. I've been a major fan of his stuff for a long, long time, and it always seemed obvious to me that he should have a podcast, so I'm pretty psyched he's finally doing it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 13, 2010

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

Oh, wow. Maybe I'm a prude, but that pretty much kills any interest I might have had in listening to it.

It's not just you; that was a pretty unappealing pitch, and I'm pretty far from a prude.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

But no, Sick & Wrong is hilarious. If you find that quote disgusting, don't listen to the show because you won't like the show.

Perhaps it's not as funny out of context?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bunk Rogers posted:

I used to really like Pollack but he came off as a bit of a unfunny douche. Hardwick's distaste for charging people to listen to podcasts kept me listening though. God I hope Pollack's podcasts bombs and his crappy sounding "This week in..." company fails horribly.

I'm a devoted fan of ol' Chat Show, and I really don't have much of a problem paying one lousy buck per weekly episode, but I am disappointed that he's going this route. I don't think it'll end too well.

It was kind of a boring interview on Nerdist, but I actually don't think that was Pollak's fault, so much as it was just a "podcast shop talk" episode. Which is never an interesting topic for discussion, in my opinion.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

It's goddamn amazing how quick and funny he is on NNF and CDR! Not fair!

His interview on "The Nerdist" was his finest (podcast) hour thus far, in my opinion. Such a mancrush.:gay:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

big business sloth posted:

Haha I always get excited when I see Adomian, hoping for Huell but Ventura is just as good.

Dana Gould did his on Carolla's podcast on Tuesday. Disturbingly masterful, as always.:golfclap:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

They stopped burping in to the mics in like episode 50, but yes, Dee is a complete idiot, but Lance is hilarious. I love the show, better then that CDR and Red Bar poo poo.

There's no way this isn't a troll. J'accuse!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The 47 Reagans posted:

So, anyone listening to the new Nerdist? Matt Smith (the Eleventh Doctor) is on and there's some great continuity and jacket discussion going on.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I hope Chris talks about his chin again.:haw:

edit: Matt Smith's chin, not Hardwick's own. And he didn't, but it was still a great interview, and Matt Smith is extremely likable.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 22, 2010

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cake Boss is triumphant. This had better be addressed on the Pod F. Tompcast or CDR.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HipGnosis posted:

I like Matt Smith too, but the first thing Hardwick's girlfriend said was something like, "I never realized Ricky Gervais' first name is Ricky!" And he was like "Good point."

Um...what?

I think he was being nice.:ssh:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Greg Proops' second podcast episode is up. It's still a sort of a live-act format podcast, like the first one, and while I tend to prefer ones without an audience, I enjoyed this one as much as the first one. I'm hoping he does more than just once a month, but, like the Pod F. Tompcast, I think it's worth the wait!

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

New Pod F. Tompkast. Will the Cake Boss return???

Yes apparently he will.

I love all of PFT's characters, but I'm hoping we start seeing new combinations of characters who we've already heard from already. I especially want to hear a conversation between Dame Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and the Cake Boss.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I was going to bring up The Smartest Man in the World if I didn't see anybody else doing it. I like it too. I'm usually not a fan of "Comedian talks uninterrupted for an hour" podcasts, but Proop's background in improv really lends to the idea. He is obviously smart, and opinionated, and quite an interesting guy. He seems like he has a lot of great stories up his sleeve. Like, it wasn't a laugh a minute show (although I did laugh at many parts) but I'm entertained by his intellect and how he relates a story. Good stuff. A monthly release is right for it, though. I couldn't imagine listening to it more frequently than that.

In its current format I agree, but I'd still love to hear a shorter, weekly version. But yeah, no real complaints for me.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

benito posted:

Tig Notaro and Paul F. Tompkins were on Community tonight. And given how many podcasts Donald Glover and Joel McHale have been on, I was keeping my eyes peeled for other cameos the whole show.

The PFT part was particularly good.

It took me a second to recognize PFT, but I almost squealed audibly in incredibly un-masculine delight.

I didn't really feel the Tig Notaro hate until listened to the most-recent Doug Loves Movies tonight. Good God, why do people even have her on their podcasts, especially that one? There seems to be almost a masochistic element to her going on and continually responding to questions with, "...uuuuuuuuuuuuh...I don't watch movies..."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's not ALTERNATIVE or REAL TALK. It's just straight up hilarious and plenty of good natured racism and sexism. It's the gooniest (in a good way) podcast in the world. They don't have to rely on prepared bits, zany antics or celebrity pimping to get listeners.

I've listened to it. It's marginally funny, and your criteria for what makes a great podcast are seriously flawed. That's why no one agrees with you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

He would be. George Clooney is awesome.

Yeah, I tried so hard to hate him for so many years, but over the past decade or so, his acting and roles (for the most part) have only gotten better, and every time I see him in an interview he's funny and charming and articulate. He is the proto-Jon Hamm.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Maerlyn posted:

Ep 72 is good just because of Adomian's Paul Giamatti impression. I like Janeane but Andy Dick is a bit irritating. I'd also recommend the ep with Andy Richter and Matt Besser, and Ep 71 with Nick Kroll and Paul Scheer.

The second two are amazing, but I don't remember the Giamatti impression for some reason. I guess I just have to re-listen to that one!

Besides that, I like the two-parter episode 76, but you should only listen to that one if you really like Tompkins' ALW impression. Which I do. God help me I love it.

Ga'HOOOOOLE!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

benito posted:

Anyone listen to Greg Fitzsimmons? I decided to go through a few episodes starting with the Norm MacDonald one. Not only could I barely hear Norm, but he sounded like he was barely conscious.

To be fair, that's Norm in literally every interview I've heard him in. Regarding Fitzdog, I've been listening to the podcast here and there recently and I like it. I think he can get off on weird tangents sometimes, and I also think that there are twenty other podcasts that do precisely what he does (without him being significantly better or more funny than them at it), but I still enjoy his interviews and rants.

I also just listened to CDR 72 in which James Adomian does his Paul Giamatti, and I honestly couldn't get enough of it. It's one of the best "saaaad clown!:smith:" sketches I think I've ever heard, and I hope they do more of them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Just watched the CDR "We Are the World" thing. I found it pretty funny, although I freely admit that that's partially because I'm a huge fan of pretty much everyone in it. The best part was Hard 'n Phirm with Weird Al.:3:

edit: I also like how PFT is baffled by the "God has shown us...by turning stones to bread" line - that always seemed to be scripturally questionable, to say the least.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 6, 2010

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LOL, nice. Now I'm all annoyed that Patton wasn't on "We Are the World."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Anyone know anything about The Long Shot Podcast? I see it popping up in recommendations, but that's all I know about it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

e: poo poo, I'm gonna go listen to that one again now. What's everyone's opinion on Little Gary?

Hated him at first, now absolutely love him unless he's allowed to go on for too long.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

Okay can someone tell me which CDR episodes have Bob Ducca in them? I keep reading these descriptions and I've found I have to start skipping them because I don't want to have all the jokes ruined for me.

EDIT: Also I listened to the 09 Black Friday episode with Michael Cera and Harris Whiten. Ice-T is probably my favorite character now.

Somebody made a helpful CDR wiki.:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I was totally the same way! But then "I'm Not Food" happened and he won my heart.

I think that might have been the turning point for me as well. He's funny when Scott is having an "on" day and there are good guests for him to riff off of.

• Locked thread