Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

TurnipFritter posted:

Stylistically, Little Dragon Cafe is very hit and miss. The storybook background in the house looks pretty neat, but the character models and the exterior shot are a little more PS2/Gamecube era than I would like.

I think the menu looks really good and cool but yeah, that outside shot looks rough. That's not even Gamecube, that's Gamecube port of a Dreamcast game like Skies of Arcadia/Sonic Adventure/Evolution Worlds. Those trees in particular look like they're ripped straight from the Chao Garden. The sad part is, the parts that look the best are the parts that aren't sticking to the storybook styling - the house would look comfy even on the Switch, but that fence and grass/stone path, ugh. The interior shot, on the other hand, is really nicely stylized, it looks a lot like they way they approach the interior environments of Paper Mario. I'm guessing the way they're handling the exterior/characters is having the objects get the the storybook-filter rendered in real-time so the filter will change as they and the camera move sort of like Okami, but it looks like one of those cheap crayon Photoshop filters. Since the game doesn't have a release date set yet, I'm hoping that once we see more for it it'll look better, I hope. I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Natsume_Inc/status/974299818666311680
https://twitter.com/Natsume_Inc/status/976111723085049856

I'm assuming it's the whole anima and animus thing and they combine into an adult but it's rubbing twitter commenters the wrong way.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Dehry posted:

I'm assuming it's the whole anima and animus thing and they combine into an adult but it's rubbing twitter commenters the wrong way.

Cece or whoever runs their page worded it fairly poorly, yeah. Plus the designs immediately read 'baby' to me, so I'll take a hard pass on this.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Where did this character named "Sun" come from? It's a mystery!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Lol if you think the game would be good enough to have the passage of time

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSy_S7Dl5FQ

Little Dragon Cafe footage. It's a bit rough, but maybe because the file select screen has a test file from January this is just an old build.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

Little Dragon Cafe footage. It's a bit rough, but maybe because the file select screen has a test file from January this is just an old build.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

TurnipFritter posted:

I really like this looks. Definitely excited to see more of it

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i booted up RF4 for the first time in literal years and was surprised to see the degree to which i had broken the game. then i saw how many years into i’d gotten.

gently caress, i really want RF5.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Trebuchet King posted:

i booted up RF4 for the first time in literal years and was surprised to see the degree to which i had broken the game. then i saw how many years into i’d gotten.

there's a huuuuuuuge timeskip after your kid is born :ssh:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
man I would totally monkey's paw for RF5

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

man I would totally monkey's paw for RF5

RF5 but it's developed by natsume

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd love to give Little Dragons Cafe the benefit of the doubt but it looks a hell of a lot like Hometown Story...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Trebuchet King posted:

It's called Stardew Valley. Good farming with decent fighting and its on most consoles now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
god, I just want a decent farming/cooking game

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

LLSix posted:

It's called Stardew Valley. Good farming with decent fighting and its on most consoles now.
But Stardew Valley isn't populated by batshit insane people. :colbert:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

LLSix posted:

Stardew Valley is fantastic, but it lacks the insane min-maxing that was available in Rune Factory. I crave huge numbers and broken combat.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Also you can't capture monsters or recruit friends/lovers (who may also be monsters) to fight beside you. :black101:

Stardew valley is still awesome though. But I would play the heck out of a RF5.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dragon Quest Builders is the new Rune Factory, tell all your friends.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

stardew owns but it has like 1/40th the dialogue of RF4, and even trio of towns blows it out of the water with its townspeople and poo poo

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Yeah, RF3 and 4 spoil you with enough dialogue that most people won't start repeating themselves for at least a year.

It makes it hard to go back to normal HMs, where people have maybe 3-4 things to say depending on situation and heart level. Even Stardew gets repetitive by comparison.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Really want to believe in Little Dragon Cafe as its that kind of warm sunny game I missed from Harvest Moon. Wonder if the Switch version is better than the PS4.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Tired Moritz posted:

I've been wanting a good farming/cooking game for so long now that I've literally started developing plans to make my own because they don't exist

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tired Moritz posted:

g0lbez posted:

I've been wanting a good farming/cooking game for so long now that I've literally started developing plans to make my own because they don't exist

What was the last good farming/cooking game in your opinion? There've been several that I thought were excellent: Overcooked, Cook Serve Delicious, Stardew Valley to name a few. I'm genuinely curious as to what you thought was missing from them?

They're not as incredible all-around games as RF4 was, but RF4 had decades of iteration on the systems and way more content than most games so we're unlikely to see anything of that scope for a long while.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don’t really see much separating Cook, Serve, Delicious from other frantic multitasking time managers other than its surface level aesthetic. I wouldn’t really call it a cooking game.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

LLSix posted:

What was the last good farming/cooking game in your opinion? There've been several that I thought were excellent: Overcooked, Cook Serve Delicious, Stardew Valley to name a few. I'm genuinely curious as to what you thought was missing from them?

They're not as incredible all-around games as RF4 was, but RF4 had decades of iteration on the systems and way more content than most games so we're unlikely to see anything of that scope for a long while.

You misunderstand, those are all great games! I've been wanting a game that combines the two genres though, like Harvest Moon with a restaurant sim or a dungeon crawler where you forage ingredients with a focus on cooking.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Stardew Valley's cooking system is pretty bad. It's all pepper poppers and coffee that you're making, anyway.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

just lol if you think i havent played stardew valley.

also i remembered a timeskip but i wouldnt have thought the ingame year tracker factored it in, so that’s cool.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tired Moritz posted:

Stardew Valley's cooking system is pretty bad. It's all pepper poppers and coffee that you're making, anyway.
Hey now, that's not all you'd cook.

You'd make a ton of tortillas if you made the mistake of planting corn and wanted to eke out a bit more profit. :shepface:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hopping on the Wishing For RF5 Bandwagon.
I honestly thought it'd be neat if, as a twist, that you were the one person who DIDN'T have amnesia.
Like, you start off as a token Evil Fantasy Despot, and the tutorial fight is against an Earthmate who came to knock some sense into you, the game truly begins with you depowered in the middle of the village and everyone in the village not remembering who you are because the Earthmate was all "lol, redemption plot."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
you need to be an earthmate for the farming thing to work tho

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tired Moritz posted:

you need to be an earthmate for the farming thing to work tho

The Earthmate either gives you their Earthmateness when they beat you, so that you can do the farming that emotionally invests you in the town, or through some backstory plot contrivance, you had the Earthmate spark but became evil instead for Reasons.

Either way, your Castle is sealed off, but you can communicate with the Earthmate who is sealed inside in order to spend the equivalent of Prince Points.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
a story of seasons game with an atelier-like mode for cooking food would be good. ToT has some good amount of food in the game.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I just want to frankenstein all the best bits of various HM/SoS-alike games into one super game

Stardew Valley's fishing alongside FOMT's mine (and FOMT's ability to blindly cook with utensils/ingredients and discover recipes by yourself) and the food buffs/seasonings from Trio of Towns and like, Rune Factory style crafting or something.

People mention Atelier a decent amount but I've never looked into it. What's the deal? Is there an LP I should read to get the gist?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tired Moritz posted:

a story of seasons game with an atelier-like mode for cooking food would be good. ToT has some good amount of food in the game.

Along those lines, it'd be neat to be able to upgrade crops with elements or hybridize them in some way. So far, Rune Factory has had crops just go up in level to be more valuable, but being able to splice them to make them unique and have the potential to be forged or otherwise used in other ways would be really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Dirk the Average posted:

Along those lines, it'd be neat to be able to upgrade crops with elements or hybridize them in some way. So far, Rune Factory has had crops just go up in level to be more valuable, but being able to splice them to make them unique and have the potential to be forged or otherwise used in other ways would be really interesting.

So something like AWL/Natsume's Harvest Moon hybrid crop system but hopefully less insane/inane?

I'm hoping we get some Bokujou Switch news at E3 or TGS, I'm dying to get my non-Stardew non-Natsume home-ish console farming on.

• Locked thread