Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Looper posted:

It's really easy to cook up some potions in your house for the animals. My elephant squad has been the picture of ideal workmanship, charged with healroids as it is.

Speaking of Rune Factory, Raepdog, have you considered any of them?

Loved all of them, can't wait for the 4th. Just looking for an old fashioned one. I ordered the farming one that everyone mentioned in this thread but am torn between ToTT or DS Cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
Is Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley better than Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl? I want to get one for my PS Vita.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Raepdog posted:

Loved all of them, can't wait for the 4th. Just looking for an old fashioned one. I ordered the farming one that everyone mentioned in this thread but am torn between ToTT or DS Cute.

The problem with all of the DS Harvest Moons (except for Harvest Moon DS) is that they each tried to mix things up by adding some odd rear end play mechanic to stand out from the rest of the series. Almost all of these sucked horribly. ToTT is the only only that I din't find irritating, but I usually end up ignoring my fields except to grow hay and just focusing on animals anyway.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I recently bought a DS for an entirely different game, but I picked up Rune Factory 3. Only got through the first day, but so far it's strangely enjoyable. What's the difference between the 3 Rune Factory games besides the order they were released in?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

SirPhoebos posted:

I recently bought a DS for an entirely different game, but I picked up Rune Factory 3. Only got through the first day, but so far it's strangely enjoyable. What's the difference between the 3 Rune Factory games besides the order they were released in?

Each one has progressively more features, conveniences, improvements, etc. Rune Factory 2 is paced significantly differently from any other RF game, but it's all still the same stuff in the end.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

SirPhoebos posted:

RF3 had the combat overhauled and is so much more fun. Also, the townsfolk are loving batty in 3, while they were only approaching crazy in 1 and 2. 3 is pretty much better at everything compared to its predecessors such that you'll never be able to replay them after playing 3.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks. I've certainly noticed that the townspeople are off their rockers.

The only complaint I have so far is that there's something of a trial and error aspect to things. I bought a weapon recipe bread and scarfed it down, only to discover that it didn't do anything because I hadn't raised my crafting skill. Would have been nice to know that before hand. Still, it's not too bad because my last save was that morning.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

SirPhoebos posted:

Thanks. I've certainly noticed that the townspeople are off their rockers.

The only complaint I have so far is that there's something of a trial and error aspect to things. I bought a weapon recipe bread and scarfed it down, only to discover that it didn't do anything because I hadn't raised my crafting skill. Would have been nice to know that before hand. Still, it's not too bad because my last save was that morning.

Don't bother to buy cooking bread, because you always get them as prizes at festivals.

Save before going to bed. As soon as summer hits you'll start getting hurricanes. They mostly hit in the summer, though I have had them show up during other months as well.

And don't rush into marriage. Getting married ends the main plot, and there isn't that much to do once the plot's over.

rex banner
Nov 4, 2004
I know it's been asked repeatedly...

Earlier on in the thread Shepherds Crossing 2 was getting some positive attention. I have a 3ds and was torn between Shepherds Crossing, Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns and was also considering Rune Factory 3.

I've played Rune Factory Frontier (for almost 200 hours apparently) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Rune Factory 3 sounds very similar, so I was hoping to get something that was fairly different. I'm not that interested in fighting and dungeons anyway.

I like games that take more then a few days to complete. I also like it when the townspeople are strange.

Or maybe there's a different Harvest Moon that's a better option?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I think we should include "BUY RUNE FACTORY 3 RIGHT THE gently caress NOW" at the top of the OP. :v:

Yes, get Rune Factory 3. Then get Shepard's Crossing 2 if you want a more "normal" farming game. Though ToTT isn't bad the bland characters and never ending cooking festivals get on one's nerves pretty quick.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
I have high expectations for Rune Factory 4 (despite being a contender for Anime of Animes) due to how good RF3 managed to be; I just hope that Natsume keeps up the quality their localizations have had lately.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

I'm not sure if this is old news or not, but on the Nintendo Direct conference stream just now they showed that RF4 is going to allow you to bring multiple people along with you to dungeons. So excited for this game. :swoon:

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
A question for the goons who've played Shepherd's Crossing 2, is it closer to HM or RF3 character-wise?
I prefer RF3's super wacky style over HM's cardboard-like style though somewhere in between would probably be best.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Achernar posted:

A question for the goons who've played Shepherd's Crossing 2, is it closer to HM or RF3 character-wise?
I prefer RF3's super wacky style over HM's cardboard-like style though somewhere in between would probably be best.

Old School HM. Engrishy as hell, slightly odd because of such, and lacking the monkey cheese of the newer games. Haru is everyones's favorite as she is fun/funny, but otherwise do not expect to be bowled over by the villagers.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Achernar posted:

And in case you haven't been warned already, Shepherd's Crossing is less about the social interaction (though that is fun!) and more about farming -- most importantly the slaughter of cute animals to feed your dog pack :black101:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I've been really interested in seeing Harvest Moon: Land of Origin come stateside, after having spent quite a few years without touching a Harvest Moon game because of how Natsume has been handling the localizations, but it looks so good, and I really need something worth playing on my 3DS.

I just really hope Natsume doesn't pull the same bullshit on it as it did with HM: Cute. :ohdear:

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

nonnemaus posted:

And in case you haven't been warned already, Shepherd's Crossing is less about the social interaction (though that is fun!) and more about farming -- most importantly the slaughter of cute animals to feed your dog pack :black101:

Just so that's something to do. In ToTT, I spent five minutes watering my crops and the rest of the day crawling all over the mountain bored out of my skull or talking to boring NPC's "I like horses. horses, horses, horses, horses, horses."

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I finished RF3, at least I married Raven and can't see any point playing further. But, it was my birthday yesterday and I got a Wii! What should I be picking up?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

I finished RF3, at least I married Raven and can't see any point playing further. But, it was my birthday yesterday and I got a Wii! What should I be picking up?

There isn't much reason to play further but you can still have a child, so you might just want to sleepwalk through the following month or whatever to see your kid pop into existence before shelving the game.

Since you've played RF3, recommending RF: Frontier is difficult since that game came out right after RF2 and still has fairly clunky combat (it's also pretty hard because of that and also runey management is really boring). RF: Tides is fantastic and absolutely worth the buy though.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any tips for combat in tides? I stopped playing at the fire shrine beacuse every monster kills me in a few hits while I have to hit them a ton.

The strongest weapon I got is the first wind katana and apparently I need waay more forging levels to make the next one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DrManiac posted:

Any tips for combat in tides? I stopped playing at the fire shrine beacuse every monster kills me in a few hits while I have to hit them a ton.

The strongest weapon I got is the first wind katana and apparently I need waay more forging levels to make the next one.

The katanas are some of the easiest weapons to use in the game so you're doing fine there. Every month there's a "quest" to buy a really powerful weapon, so you might try switching to that. If you spend some time collecting runeys for your fields before trying the Fire Shrine again it will probably be a lot easier.

Forging is very tedious, I think I watched the daily show or something while grinding it out in an in-game day or two since food for stamina is virtually free.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Achernar posted:

Just so that's something to do. In ToTT, I spent five minutes watering my crops and the rest of the day crawling all over the mountain bored out of my skull or talking to boring NPC's "I like horses. horses, horses, horses, horses, horses."

Character interaction and how time moves is completely different in SC2. Time moves by preforming actions. There's a Sun to Moon meter and every time you do something (Harvest a crop, Chop Wood, Cook, etc) it moves up a bit. It's tricky to get used to because you can spend 2-3 days harvesting a crop and whoops the chickens starved to death.

Outside of your farm there's only a world map with everyone's house on it. People will only talk to you if they have an item for you, or if you have a dish that they like in your inventory.

I think I've played more SC2 then any other Harvest Moon game outside of the very first one. I just finished playing through RF3 and I'm already thinking of starting a new SH2 game again. I have a problem. :(

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

LLSix posted:

The katanas are some of the easiest weapons to use in the game so you're doing fine there. Every month there's a "quest" to buy a really powerful weapon, so you might try switching to that. If you spend some time collecting runeys for your fields before trying the Fire Shrine again it will probably be a lot easier.

Forging is very tedious, I think I watched the daily show or something while grinding it out in an in-game day or two since food for stamina is virtually free.

Tides of Destiny talk

I've only had one of these quests and I'm in Fall and stuck on the fire shrine (takes too much damage from the boss). Right now, I'm using the dual blades: Sparklers.

Do I just need to level up, or is there something better I can get? In fact, I might be doing something wrong, give me general advice.

Also, do all the requests you can, I find that some do give you pretty decent rewards, at least any that aren't 'go beat 5 of these monsters'

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 21, 2012

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Honestly I would do those anyway as long as it doesn't involve going out of your way. More requests done means more happiness from the request giver, meaning more increased friendship levels, meaning more friendship quests, meaning more chances to get Recipe sets.

Katanas are pretty good, but Spears are a great Anti-Boss (or Anti-Big Enemy) weapon once you get Stinger Rage. It shoots a narrow cone of hitboxes from the tip of the spear that can hit ten or so times. Most small enemies probably will only get hit a few times, but bosses don't have any knockdown animation, so they'll get the full force of the attack. It also does a good job of destroying gates.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ineffiable posted:

Tides of Destiny talk

I've only had one of these quests and I'm in Fall and stuck on the fire shrine (takes too much damage from the boss). Right now, I'm using the dual blades: Sparklers.

Do I just need to level up, or is there something better I can get? In fact, I might be doing something wrong, give me general advice.

Dual blades have low damage per hit which makes them a poor choice for boss fights. They do hit everything around, which makes them great if you're getting mobbed by big groups. Weapon power (or whatever it is called) is deceptive in this sense, as two weapons with the same power can do radically different damage per hit. You have to take them out to the field and try them out until you start to get a feel for it. I usually used the wind magic rod for bosses because it made it easier to run away from the enemies attacks. It is especially important to level magic attacks since they use so much RP. If you're looking for a quick fix, I'd buy Stinger Rage from Joe next Thursday and try that.

Seconding doing all the quests whenever you can, boosting the villagers affection is a major element of the game and one I ended up needing to grind out. n.b. you want their affection at 6, but you won't be able to raise it higher than that until you pass a certain point in the story. I kept up well with giving gifts to Sierra though; so maybe that's why you haven't gotten the other "buy this item"
requests from her?

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Another thing to do is go round up the most badass monsters of the previous shrine (ie trolls and faries) and drag them to the boss fights. The boss will always go after them first if they do more damage than you, so it buys you time and helps the fight go faster. You will still have to be mind full of ranged and area attacks, and be ready to face the boss alone when it goes critical.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

LLSix posted:

Dual blades have low damage per hit which makes them a poor choice for boss fights. They do hit everything around, which makes them great if you're getting mobbed by big groups. Weapon power (or whatever it is called) is deceptive in this sense, as two weapons with the same power can do radically different damage per hit. You have to take them out to the field and try them out until you start to get a feel for it. I usually used the wind magic rod for bosses because it made it easier to run away from the enemies attacks. It is especially important to level magic attacks since they use so much RP. If you're looking for a quick fix, I'd buy Stinger Rage from Joe next Thursday and try that.

Seconding doing all the quests whenever you can, boosting the villagers affection is a major element of the game and one I ended up needing to grind out. n.b. you want their affection at 6, but you won't be able to raise it higher than that until you pass a certain point in the story. I kept up well with giving gifts to Sierra though; so maybe that's why you haven't gotten the other "buy this item"
requests from her?

Literally the next day.... I got a new request from her (after dying to the boss 5 times) Edit: It's a longsword though. I'll try it out and see if I can do it with this. We need some harvest moon irc chat or something, I have a hard time tracking down some items for requests like fishing for tuna.

I didn't know you could take a partner to a boss fight. I guess I'm still sort of in the area of 'having to do everything by yourself' from the older harvest moons. I've never played any of the DS Rune Factory games and only played RF: Frontier for about 5 hours, enough to kill the first dungeon's boss.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 22, 2012

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Literally the next day.... I got a new request from her (after dying to the boss 5 times) Edit: It's a longsword though. I'll try it out and see if I can do it with this. We need some harvest moon irc chat or something, I have a hard time tracking down some items for requests like fishing for tuna.

I didn't know you could take a partner to a boss fight. I guess I'm still sort of in the area of 'having to do everything by yourself' from the older harvest moons. I've never played any of the DS Rune Factory games and only played RF: Frontier for about 5 hours, enough to kill the first dungeon's boss.

keep in mind that you're early enough that weapon level doesn't matter a ton. That's about where I started carrying around a few elemental staves at the same time as the duel blades.

Actually, it's been a while since I've played Tides of Destiny, I should get back at that...

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON
The fire shrine boss is easily one of the hardest. If I recall correctly, when I beat it I was actually using a hammer. It does a lot of damage per hit and still gives you time to dodge. As mentioned, dual blades are nice for dungeon crawling, but low damage output especially at the front of the combo, and there are a lot of points where it won't let you dodge, which is crucial in this fight. I tend to spend time grinding to get my smithing level as high as I can and make the best items to make things easier.

As for strategy, the best I can say is he's a really technical boss and requires both a lot of precision. At the same time, though, you really have to really go for him and not let up. A lot of his attacks actually don't hit the spot directly in front of him, so if you cram yourself right up in his face he can't do as much to you as he can at range. From there, it's a matter of figuring out when to dodge him, which seemed to me best to do by dodging forward and to the left, going under his pincer and attacking from the side. His first form isn't really so tough once you get the hang of it. However, his enraged mode is really tricky. He attacks so fast, he can literally attack you, then attack again before you've finished dodging, and he can do most of your health in damage with one shot. For his second form, all I can say is to burn him down as fast as you can possibly manage. No finesse, just focus on getting in as much damage as you can, since he can almost decide whether or not he wants you to win at this point.

Taking a few helpers might help, since they can distract him. However, they can also make things more difficult as he becomes a little more unpredictable on who he's going to target. Plus, I had never trained helpers, so they all got smashed within a minute or two, so I just did it myself.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

I have a hard time tracking down some items for requests like fishing for tuna.

Get on Ymir, walk out in the ocean and touch up against the darkest blue parts that you can't swim in, and then fish off of him.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Finally made it through the water temple.... and now the boss is a dick.

I love this game, but I think there's too much disparity between being able to complete the temple, and actually killing the boss.

(I still think a kickboxing gator is rad as hell though)

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Ineffiable posted:

Finally made it through the water temple.... and now the boss is a dick.

I love this game, but I think there's too much disparity between being able to complete the temple, and actually killing the boss.

(I still think a kickboxing gator is rad as hell though)

Yeah, the dungeons are weak. The bosses.... not so much. But iirc, the gator is hundreds of times easier than the crab.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bo Steed posted:

Yeah, the dungeons are weak. The bosses.... not so much. But iirc, the gator is hundreds of times easier than the crab.

beast weapon I've got is a +99 dmg axe. Can't seem to get any better unless I somehow find Platinum and make a katana that's over +100.

Guess I'll level up a bit, go goof off with cooking and fishing and come back a little later.

Please tell me it's not this bad in Rune Factory 3 (and maybe 4) I want to think this is a problem that plagues Tides of Destiny really.

oh, someone spoil it for me. When can I really start romancing the women? I've got Mitoko, Violet and Lily at 6.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 27, 2012

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

oh, someone spoil it for me. When can I really start romancing the women? I've got Mitoko, Violet and Lily at 6.

Only when you beat the game. Before then, all characters top out at 6.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Who is the best to marry in Sheppard's Crossing 2? I wish I had a nice FAQ for this, everyone I've seen sucks.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Raepdog posted:

Who is the best to marry in Sheppard's Crossing 2? I wish I had a nice FAQ for this, everyone I've seen sucks.

Could do what I did, which is get enough blankets/sheep and try them all out. Are you playing as a boy or a girl? The girl with the hat (Haru?) is the popular choice if you're playing as a guy. If you're playing as a girl...well, I married Giles the butcher after seeing the Hunter's marriage dialogue. It doesn't matter too much who you marry -- you'll get a dialogue with them when you get married and every season when they bring in goods/money, but you don't really interact with them outside of that and sharing a meal every time you use your table.

Some stuff I read online implied that the gender/sprite of your child is dependent on who you marry. Can anyone confirm this? My kid with Giles was dark haired, male and otherwise unremarkable.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I got married, now I am sadly finding no reason to keep on playing this game- even worse, not having had to water my plants has left me weary of going back to Harvest Moon DS Cute.

Le sad.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Raepdog posted:

I got married, now I am sadly finding no reason to keep on playing this game- even worse, not having had to water my plants has left me weary of going back to Harvest Moon DS Cute.

Le sad.

A year or so back I was stuck in bed with a horrible sinus infection and decided to pass the days by making every meal in SC2 and giving it out to every person I could give the meal to.

Don't do that.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

A year or so back I was stuck in bed with a horrible sinus infection and decided to pass the days by making every meal in SC2 and giving it out to every person I could give the meal to.

Don't do that.

I uh, I was doing that, once upon a time when I had free evenings and nothing better to do. Someday I'll go back and do that, maybe, if I'm stuck in a room with a charger, energy source and a DS for all eternity. That's probably when I'll buy the house you can get in More Friends of Mineral Town for being married for 50 in-game years, too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh man, I am now officially pumped for Rune Factory 4. My buddy linked me this article that basically says that you live with a big gay dragon whose name sounds like "sells the weed." It's like their market analysis group asked themselves, "what kind of premise would The White Dragon of the Something Awful Forums think would be the most awesome premise ever?"

• Locked thread