Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Can you breed chickens and cows in this one? I just got my first chicken to lay an egg I'm assuming if they do breed you just keep them on the nest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Quote from gamefaqs:

"You cannot hatch a chick from the egg your chicken produce. The only way to get a chick/chicken is to buy it from the bazaar."

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Corridor posted:

And I've been throwing myself into the river since day 1 and got no gold. Best I got is 'small coin' a few times. :mad:

I've been doing the same thing when I have stamina to burn ever since I found out you could get free stuff doing that. The best things I ever got was an ore stone with a copper inside and an urchin one other time. Then I read about two people getting gold on their first runs, got jealous and angry, then threw myself into the river in an impotent rage. I got a gold. Then two ore blocks, then an urchin, then a "straight tea" (which failed when I tried cooking it alone so I dunno what its deal is). I'm not so sure the river is simply random. I'm going to start worshiping it.

On another note, I tried breaking an ore block, then resetting to see if it would be different. The first time I got scrap metal, the second time I got copper, so I guess you could game the system that way?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

omg the kitty is adorable. :3: It sleeps on the roof during the day and can enter/leave the house freely. It also starts with the ability to deal with one chicken per day (carry in and out). Freaked me out the first time kitty just barged in and grabbed a chick in its mouth and took off.

One thing they don't loving tell you is that you can only get pet food from the store, and it costs 150g per can. :argh: And pets gotta eat every day.

Zenzirouj posted:

I've been doing the same thing when I have stamina to burn ever since I found out you could get free stuff doing that. The best things I ever got was an ore stone with a copper inside and an urchin one other time. Then I read about two people getting gold on their first runs, got jealous and angry, then threw myself into the river in an impotent rage. I got a gold. Then two ore blocks, then an urchin, then a "straight tea" (which failed when I tried cooking it alone so I dunno what its deal is). I'm not so sure the river is simply random. I'm going to start worshiping it.

On another note, I tried breaking an ore block, then resetting to see if it would be different. The first time I got scrap metal, the second time I got copper, so I guess you could game the system that way?

Stuff respawns that way too. I woke up one morning and ran down to get walnuts and there were none. I quit without saving cos someone called, then later I replayed the day and there were two walnuts. Stuff I got from drowning are a straight tea, about one urchin a week, two ores with silver and copper inside, lots of mini medals, and like a billion cans/branches.

e: Hey what did everyone else draw on their giant signboard? How many farms have giant penis logos now?

e2: Oh yeah and to everyone starting out, you can actually sell the cafe food you buy at the bazaar to make back some money. You can also sell the cookies or whatever people give you as presents. After Harmony Day I had 4 cookies to sell. :smug:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 30, 2010

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

Corridor posted:

e: Hey what did everyone else draw on their giant signboard? How many farms have giant penis logos now?
That was the first thing I thought of. At least I only dedicated so much time and effort to it, though.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Corridor posted:

One thing they don't loving tell you is that you can only get pet food from the store, and it costs 150g per can. :argh: And pets gotta eat every day.
Ugh, I was afraid of that. Hopefully by the time I have enough livestock that dogs/cats will start being sold I'll be a bit wealthier.

Corridor posted:

I was briefly tempted to do the generic penis scrawl, but I decided that a little fear would be the best way to motivate my crops:

every morning I lead my plants in worship of our dark lord

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

AAAAARGGGRGRGRH

I bought 30 goddamn potatoes at the last bazaar. I watered them twice a day. They only needed one more day to grow. One lousy day.

Then the season changed.

gently caress YOU RAUL

all my money :negative:

Zenzirouj posted:

Ugh, I was afraid of that. Hopefully by the time I have enough livestock that dogs/cats will start being sold I'll be a bit wealthier.

Actually it seems that Pet Food lasts four feedings. So it's not so bad. Still kinda sucks.

quote:

I was briefly tempted to do the generic penis scrawl, but I decided that a little fear would be the best way to motivate my crops:

every morning I lead my plants in worship of our dark lord

This is why SA has a better games forum than the rest of the internet.

I scrawed a nice big mural in worship of the mighty river lords, and since then have failed to get a single goddamn thing from the river, not even a loving branch. THE RIVER GOD LOATHES WORSHIP. BEHOLD HIS WRATH.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
I've been playing Twin Villages and am now up to the end of the 4th year. So far, it's the best handheld HM game by far, although I haven't played Grand Bazar. It helps that I understand the Japanese, but I think it'd probably be quite confusing at first for people who can't?

The most annoying things about the game are:
* Hold L to run. That poo poo should be trigger on/off
* 4 cooking festivals a month. And they each take ages
* No mine :(
* Gaining crop levels is hard as hell

But it's improved on so many things that I can't really complain.
* Loads of places to explore
* Choose the village that better suits you
* Jumping around is fun
* No more godawful loving crop/weather system that made IOH more like an exercise in spreadsheets than a game

I can't decide who to marry (playing as a girl). I kind of want to marry Dirka just because he's so :downs: happy about everything. I can't marry Chihiro because he looks like a little boy and his blushing face is creepy for some reason.

Corridor posted:

AAAAARGGGRGRGRH

I bought 30 goddamn potatoes at the last bazaar. I watered them twice a day. They only needed one more day to grow. One lousy day.

Then the season changed.

yes, that sounds like a real Harvest Moon experience to me!

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Oooh. I'd be interested in any further impressions and details you can post, Concubine. How are the social events? Are the festivals fun? Are there lots of friendship/romantic interest events to trigger? What about the pacing? You said you're at the end of your 4th year, which is usually far beyond where you've already done everything in a Harvest Moon game yet you're still not married.

I'll miss the mine, but it's probably for the best. The mines in Harvest Moon games always get you 10x more money than the crops. It's ridiculous.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Star Guarded posted:

Oooh. I'd be interested in any further impressions and details you can post, Concubine. How are the social events? Are the festivals fun? Are there lots of friendship/romantic interest events to trigger?

Happy to help! :)

The social events are pretty fun. They have a lot of talking between villagers, so you get to know them better, and it's cute because it's not always about you. So far I think I've had... one festival dialogue repeat, maybe? Not bad for 4 years. On the down side, each village has festivals and events only for that village, and only people from that village attend. That said, you can move between villages once you've started the game, so you can see them all if you want. I haven't seen any of the Bluebell village events because I've lived in Konohana the whole time, so I've never been to any of the animal festivals.

The only thing that kind of sucks about the events is that all of the village-specific events are held in the mayor's house, and once it's festival time it goes straight into it so you can't wander around and talk to people before/after the event like in other games. I always liked seeing the different reactions if you won/lost. :( Although you can go talk to people in their houses after and they'll react.

There are lots of romantic events! You can go on dates with each bachelor/ette a few times a week and they'll tell you stuff about themselves. You trigger heart events on the dates. I've never seen a same-sex friendship event, nor have I seen a rival event (maybe they only start once you marry?) But there are lots of chances to go dating with eligible people, and they'll say different things depending on the season/weather etc. It's pretty cool!

Also, I've gotta say that the bachelor/ette types in the game are good because they're a bit different. Like, Kamil looked like he might be a Vaughn-type rear end in a top hat, but he's actually gentle and nice. And Liqorice appeared to be silent and unemotive, but she's not. I'm glad they chucked in a few new personalities.

Hell drat, that was a lot of words about a farming game.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Corridor posted:

omg the kitty is adorable. :3: It sleeps on the roof during the day and can enter/leave the house freely. It also starts with the ability to deal with one chicken per day (carry in and out). Freaked me out the first time kitty just barged in and grabbed a chick in its mouth and took off.

You'll love the bell, then. A pack of kitties spazzing out chasing it is the funniest thing. Just don't leave it on the floor for them to play with and fall asleep, because it'll disappear and then you have to buy a new one.

Apparently it trains them, too, but I haven't figured out how that works. I see a little "lvl up!" above a kitty's head now and then, but their stars haven't gone up. All I know is that I only have to take one of my chickens out now and it's awesome.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Hell drat, that was a lot of words about a farming game.
Thanks! All of that sounds really, really awesome, and it sounds like it addresses my criticisms of recent Harvest Moon games. Can't wait for the English release in 2020!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

In Gamefaqs it says this:

quote:

Throw the bell near the cat and it will play with the bell. " ! " will show not long after the bell is thrown, which means the cat notices the bell. Then, music symbol will appear. A heart symbol will appear after the the cat had 4 music symbols previously, and the cat will gain a skill point.

I also read someplace that you need to put the bell away in your inventory before throwing it again to make it count. With the dog you can just throw the bone over and over each time it's brought back, but the bell you have to retrieve yourself and put away and then take out again with X button. I think you can also just leave the room/screen with it.

While looking this stuff up I noticed a thread titled "Antoinette has a huge head". Burst out laughing so hard.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Wait, so they finally make run a toggle in Bazaar, then decided that was too good of an idea and regressed for the next game? :wtc:

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Oh man another Harvest Moon thread. I think I put about a bazillion hours into HM64 as a kid and I don't regret it for a second. The whole story that (at least in my child brain) solidified the concept of hard work + effort = payoff was pretty much awesome.

I made up my own holidays when there wasn't anything going on. By year 4 or so, I declared a day in Fall to be "Eggplant Day". On Eggplant Day, I took the season's harvest of eggplants out of the refrigerator, filled my backpack to the point of bursting and ran around the entire village throwing eggplants at people. Everyone got an eggplant to the face. Everyone.

I have been meaning to pick up a DS and get in on some of these new Harvest Moon shenanigans, but I don't know if it'll ever be as much fun.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zenzirouj posted:

Wait, so they finally make run a toggle in Bazaar, then decided that was too good of an idea and regressed for the next game? :wtc:

I bet there's no double-jump either! :mad:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

naptalan posted:

What happens if you don't water your crops? Do they die, give you lower-quality crops or take longer to grow? If it's the last one, can you use the extra days of growth for more fertiliser and thus higher quality crops?

They die. Crops will take longer to grow if you water them TWICE a day. Same with fertilizer. It also means it is of higher grade.

Corridor posted:

Yeah, I drew a penis. I also always name my farm 'Ramrod'. (Supertroopers reference, ho!)

Lemur Crisis posted:

That was the first thing I thought of. At least I only dedicated so much time and effort to it, though.

Right when I saw this I said out loud, "Wow, that's a good one!"

Then I felt.. weird.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Revol posted:

They die. Crops will take longer to grow if you water them TWICE a day. Same with fertilizer. It also means it is of higher grade.

Wait, crops take longer to grow if you water them twice a day? :psyduck:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I can't marry Chihiro because he looks like a little boy and his blushing face is creepy for some reason.

Isn't he also just playing doctor and not actually a real doctor?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

The White Dragon posted:

So he just goes around asking to feel under women shirts because "hes a doctor"? Sounds like a hero to some.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Wandering Knitter posted:

Wait, crops take longer to grow if you water them twice a day? :psyduck:

That's what I'm hearing. The further you go into increasing a crop's rating, the longer it takes. Notice how all the seeds say it takes, say, 6-8 days to bloom? Eight days means you're watering twice and using fertilizer. Six days means you only water once with light to no fertilizer.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I made a helpful motivational sign for my farm (except the board is kind of small for it and I have zero skill.)

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Revol posted:

I did a little experimenting with 4 crops (I believe it was radish) where I watered A and B twice and gave fertilizer to A and C everyday and not just once every growth stage.

A and B were the fastest to grow, followed by C and D. So watering them twice seems to make them actually grow faster and the fertilizer doesn't seem to change anything, at least not for the crops that only take a handful of days until they can be harvested.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Lemur Crisis posted:

I made a helpful motivational sign for my farm (except the board is kind of small for it and I have zero skill.)

Truly a thing of beauty. I'm probably picking this up tomorrow, looks like a couple weeks of obsessive farming for me...

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
What is the third symbol on the examine animals screen, after the talk and pet symbols?

I'm guessing that it means the animal produced eggs/milk that day but it also looks like a medicine bottle and that worries me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dimix posted:

What is the third symbol on the examine animals screen, after the talk and pet symbols?

I'm guessing that it means the animal produced eggs/milk that day but it also looks like a medicine bottle and that worries me.

No, it's the eggs/milk thing. If they're sick, there will be a different symbol shaped like a skull that pops up.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

The White Dragon posted:

He's a med student ALSO HE'S TOTALLY 18. ALL THE MARRIAGE CANDIDATES ARE AT LEAST 18 ALWAYS.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lemur Crisis posted:

Hahaha I totally did this too, except it said GROW YOU FUCKS. Yours is more elegant in simplicity. :colbert: I think I'm gonna turn mine into a billboard campaign against Raul. Still pissed off about those potatoes.

king of no pants posted:

I made up my own holidays when there wasn't anything going on. By year 4 or so, I declared a day in Fall to be "Eggplant Day". On Eggplant Day, I took the season's harvest of eggplants out of the refrigerator, filled my backpack to the point of bursting and ran around the entire village throwing eggplants at people. Everyone got an eggplant to the face. Everyone.

Mailing this to Natsume right now.

Actually I'm totally gonna do Eggplant Day, purely because I don't give poo poo about my quota anymore (at least until I get some upgrades). It's kinda funny to watch Felix always try to be super optimistic about the lack of bazaar progress.

He's a med student ALSO HE'S TOTALLY 18. ALL THE MARRIAGE CANDIDATES ARE AT LEAST 18 ALWAYS.

Although it's not nearly as bad as that downsey 'doctor' child, I am still creeped out by these brothers as marriage candidates. Ivan is apparently old enough to have a city job and at least looks like be might be in his teens, I'm guessing he's meant to be about 20 or so. But his younger bro Dirk looks like a tiny child and he likes bugs and plays all day. WHY IS THERE AN OPTION TO MARRY HIM. Also why is he the only dude at purple heart when I haven't given him poo poo since we met.

I've also noticed that in addition to being a solo-flying career girl, Freya has the only 'voice' that doesn't sound like HIYA KYUUUU ^_______^ five year old poo poo. It actually sounds like it might have been made by an adult woman. :psyduck:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I threw away most of my younger years playing HM64 and HM for the snes. Like above, the game was great because if you put time into it, your farm started to be more and more awesome.

Haven't played the new ones for the handheld consoles but It's probably really hard to gently caress Harvest Moon up.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
God, I loving hate bringing the cows in and out. I just bought 3 babies, so I now have four of them. I'm thinking I'll just feed them indoors.. it would cost me 490G a week to do so.

Only problem there is that means I'd be losing money on my cows for the first time. Only one is mature, so I only get one milk a day. It's five star milk now, but I'm in the winter. This means I have no butterflies to give Freya, so I use my fallback gift... cheese.

Also, does anybody know what upgrading the small fishing pole does? And how do you get the medium one?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revol posted:

God, I loving hate bringing the cows in and out. I just bought 3 babies, so I now have four of them. I'm thinking I'll just feed them indoors.. it would cost me 490G a week to do so.

Only problem there is that means I'd be losing money on my cows for the first time. Only one is mature, so I only get one milk a day. It's five star milk now, but I'm in the winter. This means I have no butterflies to give Freya, so I use my fallback gift... cheese.

Also, does anybody know what upgrading the small fishing pole does? And how do you get the medium one?

Felix sells the medium pole in year 2, I'm told. It probably lets you reach the medium sized fish, which sell for about 100G or so at Raul's shop. If you mean upgrading the small pole then I dunno... maybe improves quality?

Dogs are in the game to herd your livestock for you, and are buyable after you get 4 cows/sheep. When you buy the doggy I believe it's automatically ready to herd one cow, so that's one less you deal with. Could take a while to train.
You can also apparently call them with the handbell. I have one but haven't used it yet, will try later. Pets need pet food from the store, but one food tin lasts a few days.

And frankly I'd let Freya wait on the presents until Spring. Winter's not that long, she'll still be there after. And since this is your first winter you probably need the money more than a wife at this stage. :shobon: Just talk to her each day and you shouldn't lose any FP.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I discovered a way to get all the money you need in late fall/winter of the first year.

(spoiled for possibly game breaking, if you want to get your money the hard way.)

As soon as the third windmill opens up (the grinding mill). You are able to make grass seeds from fertilizer and fodder. One fertilizer (10g) and one fodder (70g) will combine to create 2 grass seeds (sold for 560 each) at the bazaar. I've been making 70-90,000 consistently since then.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Royal W posted:

I discovered a way to get all the money you need in late fall/winter of the first year.

(spoiled for possibly game breaking, if you want to get your money the hard way.)

As soon as the third windmill opens up (the grinding mill). You are able to make grass seeds from fertilizer and fodder. One fertilizer (10g) and one fodder (70g) will combine to create 2 grass seeds (sold for 560 each) at the bazaar. I've been making 70-90,000 consistently since then.

Yeah, I saw somebody post that on FOGU, but I'm skipping it because of how game breakingly easy it is.

What are grass seeds for? Do they make fodder like the old games? Do grass patches survive multiple cuts like before? Do they stay around for all the seasons like before?

Edit: Oh snap, did anybody know what the boarded-up basement is? After you get the second field upgrade, Wilbur can turn your basement into a greenhouse for 100,000G. I'm gonna have to try to get that before my second year winter. (I'm mid-winter year one right now.)

Oh and FOGU says that while the dog that is sold year one is a husky, the one sold in year two is :love: BEAGLE :love: (I've got two IRL LOL)

edit2: Is there an easy-to-make egg dish that is profitable?

Revol fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 31, 2010

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Woah woah woah, there are different dogs? What's the link to the list? If german shepherds are ever an option I'm gonna have to turn my farm into a prison camp.

As for eggs, I haven't found any particularly good ones. I've just been making loads of herb mayo, but I haven't checked to see how much profit I make or anything. If you get a wild mushroom (both spring/summer and fall varieties, never tried with the poison one) you can combine that with an egg for an egg souffle that sells for a pretty good amount.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
God drat it I still can't upgrade the bazaar!

Mr. Awesomehat Mayor is now saying that we're almost there despite the fact that I've cleared 40k at least three times now! I'm starting to think the bastard's embezzling funds.

Also, do higher star gifts = more friendship/love points?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Also, do higher star gifts = more friendship/love points?

I don't think so.

Zenzirouj posted:

Woah woah woah, there are different dogs? What's the link to the list? If german shepherds are ever an option I'm gonna have to turn my farm into a prison camp.

http://www.fogu.com/hm9/village/the-shops.php - Raul's Animal shop in Bazaar

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Ah, just the two breeds. Oh well. Does anybody know whether you can choose between them after year two or if all dogs sold from then on are beagles? I'd rather have a mix, but probably won't be getting more animals for a few seasons.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been using my milk on cheesecakes, I wonder if there's anything better I could be making with it. Seems like it's better than just selling raw eggs and milk.

I really should have bought a cooking utensil at the last bazaar, I feel stupid for not doing so. Which one offers the best early game recipes? Also loving Chen didn't have carrot seeds this time and I didn't want to fill both fields with nothing but re-harvestables but I can't find anything good to do with carrots so maybe I should have.

Also what the hell do you do with Yams? There's a "complete" recipe list on the fogu forums that doesn't even mention yams, and they sell for poo poo money.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
I just started playing Grand Bazaar. drat, the characters are ugly as gently caress and all look like children. TV has way nicer sprites. :( And not having a shipping bin is annoying. I drew a rendition of the Jaws poster on that board on my farm, though, which made me happy. I'm only a few days in, but so far I like TV a lot better...

I bet there's no double-jump either! :mad:

There isn't, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The storage you get is ample enough, I kind of like the bazaar mechanic. If you still need to sell stuff for a quick buck at the local store, you can, but using a bazaar instead of a shipping bin is a neat idea and a nice change of pace from virtually every other HM game ever.

• Locked thread