Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalina
May 20, 2008

nonnemaus posted:

I feel vaguely dirty for picking up my old cart of MFoMT and then going back to ToTT the next day. I'm so sorry I just wanted something easy to play to relax after work :(

ToTT is great for that, though! My sister keeps stealing my DS and copy of ToTT to play when she's in bed about to go to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Catalina posted:

ToTT is great for that, though! My sister keeps stealing my DS and copy of ToTT to play when she's in bed about to go to sleep.

I wish I could play that way but I stopped when I got tired of using spreadsheets to keep track of all my animal treats.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
So here's a thing that also links to some other things that may or may not have already been mentioned about Rune Factory 4:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/15/rune-factory-4-waifu-looks-an-awful-lot-like-saber-from-fatestay-night/

I have no idea who Saber is but that design is pretty nifty in my book

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Looper posted:

So here's a thing that also links to some other things that may or may not have already been mentioned about Rune Factory 4:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/15/rune-factory-4-waifu-looks-an-awful-lot-like-saber-from-fatestay-night/

I have no idea who Saber is but that design is pretty nifty in my book

Saber is a character from a hentai game. That's pretty much all you need to know.

e: Dear God the article used the words Waifu and Shota to describe the characters. Of course they would reference a hentai game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well that puts a bad spin on things! :v:

I was just about to remark that it's nice to have a female in armor that isn't ridiculous boob armor.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Saber's from Fate/Stay Night. A rather good fantasy Visual Novel that had some pretty bad sex scenes shoehorned in because of the retarded state of the Japanese PC game industry. And yeah, that girl does look like Saber in a with a pony tail.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

Saber is a character from a hentai game. That's pretty much all you need to know.

:saddowns:

Darn it, Marvelous!

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

e: Dear God the article used the words Waifu and Shota to describe the characters. Of course they would reference a hentai game.

Siliconera is like the other side of the coin of say, Destructoid and Kotaku. Instead of trolls and fanboys waging warfare about consoles and 'fags', Siliconera is full of weeaboo creepers who like to play nicey-nice and think *^-^* is the height of expressing emotion digitially.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Saber is a character from a hentai game.

To be fair, the Fate/Stay series has come a long way from its retarded, shoehorned sex bits way at the start of things. The Fate/Zero anime has been excellent, and the new Fate game on PSP is apparently pretty cool.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Playing Hero of Leaf Valley has ignited a HM fever in me. So I'm about to start Rune Factory 3 and Grand Bazaar for the first time. Anything in particular about each I should know?

Also; where on earth do I get lumber in HoLV?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm on my third playthrough of RF3 and I've only now found out that Yue sometimes shows up in the Inn to sell random items. :psyduck: Am I the only one who missed this?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

I'm on my third playthrough of RF3 and I've only now found out that Yue sometimes shows up in the Inn to sell random items. :psyduck: Am I the only one who missed this?

Nah, I didn't know about it at all until someone in this thread pointed it out. She's extremely easy to miss if you don't go to the Inn much.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Emalde posted:

Nah, I didn't know about it at all until someone in this thread pointed it out. She's extremely easy to miss if you don't go to the Inn much.

I wish someone in the game went "Oh there's a wandering salesmen in the Inn upstairs sometimes!" because her shop is really drat handy. Because it's random she'll gave powerful weapons before you can buy them or make them, she'll have recipe bread + for sale, and it's a great way to stock up on gifts!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What are the requirements for marrying one of the girls in Rune Factory 3?
I have 10 hearts with them, I already beat winter dungeon and did the Unity festival.

In fact, after trying to propose to Daria and failing, I managed to propose to Raven. I resetted and now they don't want the ring. :argh:

Its weird, for some reason only that one time Micah mentioned the ring after the date but I have no idea what was different about it.

EDIT: Apparently I bought a double bed the one time it worked and managed to forget about it. :ughh:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 26, 2012

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
I bought Shepherd's Crossing 2 on the recommendation of the thread a couple of weeks ago and oh my :psyduck:, this game loves to kick you in the jimmies. I can't stop playing though, and am debating which bastard to shower bed spreads with in marriage.

If they could merge the level of detail in this game (and perhaps keep the animal slaughtering) with the ease of control and social aspects of Harvest Moon, now that would be super-excellent. A Wonderful Life tried, but it was just so stilted in execution.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

I Watson posted:

I bought Shepherd's Crossing 2 on the recommendation of the thread a couple of weeks ago and oh my :psyduck:, this game loves to kick you in the jimmies. I can't stop playing though, and am debating which bastard to shower bed spreads with in marriage.

I always go after the butcher or the hunter. :allears:

And if I'm a guy I always, always pick the girl in the cowboy hat. I wish she was a character in normal Harvest Moon games.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

I always go after the butcher or the hunter. :allears:

And if I'm a guy I always, always pick the girl in the cowboy hat. I wish she was a character in normal Harvest Moon games.

What kind of put me off the hunter was when you go to marry him and he's all "Wait, who are you again?" Then again, that kind of describes all the male love interests...which is a shame because the male love interests in Shepherd's Crossing actually look like someone who should be getting married, unlike Harvest Moon.

Cowboy hat girl is amazing. I have butchered many an animal to chill with her.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

nonnemaus posted:

What kind of put me off the hunter was when you go to marry him and he's all "Wait, who are you again?" Then again, that kind of describes all the male love interests...which is a shame because the male love interests in Shepherd's Crossing actually look like someone who should be getting married, unlike Harvest Moon.

Cowboy hat girl is amazing. I have butchered many an animal to chill with her.

I like that it's more realistic. They're straight-up arranged marriages with a dowry and everything. And all of the men in town really want to marry the super rich fat girl but are willing to settle for some blankets.

The best part about the cowboy hat girl is that she just seems downright baffled after she had a kid. :v:

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

I like that it's more realistic. They're straight-up arranged marriages with a dowry and everything. And all of the men in town really want to marry the super rich fat girl but are willing to settle for some blankets.

I like how much the mayor has to talk them into settling for you. "I know she's not Elizabeth but she's really a very good knitter" :v:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is Shepherd's Crossing 2 worth buying a DS for? If so, does it run on the 3DS? It's been decades since I bought a portable gaming device.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

Is Shepherd's Crossing 2 worth buying a DS for? If so, does it run on the 3DS? It's been decades since I bought a portable gaming device.

I can't speak to whether it's worth buying a DS for, but it (and all other DS games) will run on the 3DS.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

I wouldn't say that it's worth buying a DS for. If you're looking for an excuse to buy a DS, then sure. There are some really good games for the DS and I'd recommend getting a DS lite now that they're relatively cheap (and the games are getting really cheap for it, too) or getting a 3DS if you want new games...well, ever.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

LLSix posted:

I've only played a bit on a friends copy, but it seemed fun. The writing is hilariously bad though. I mean absolutely goddamn ridiculous.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
What harvest moons for the wii are the most popular?

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Delamore posted:

What harvest moons for the wii are the most popular?

Animal parade seems fairly well liked, and I can vouch for it being a fairly good HM game that focuses on the more classical aspects. If you like the rune factory style more (sort of minor dungeons and rpg style battling and stuff mixed in) then I think Tides of Destiny is also fairly well liked for the wii.

One thing that's important to note about Animal Parade is to hold onto one potato, one tomato and one green pepper as you get access to them, until you're required to make a stupid "vegetarian pizza" later on in the game. I've 'completed' Animal Parade recently and if I want to complete that quest I'll need to do another entire year cycle.

Now if I could ask a question of the thread: I'll probably start Tides of Destiny sometime soon, and I'm wondering if there's any similar mechanic to the vegetarian pizza quest that I need to keep in mind. I don't want to read through faqs etc until I have to, but doing so is what made me miss out in AP.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Blorknorg posted:

Now if I could ask a question of the thread: I'll probably start Tides of Destiny sometime soon, and I'm wondering if there's any similar mechanic to the vegetarian pizza quest that I need to keep in mind. I don't want to read through faqs etc until I have to, but doing so is what made me miss out in AP.

The only super important thing to keep in mind (that the game doesn't make clear until way too late) is that you should be maxing out everyone's friendship. Everything else is given to you straight.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Blorknorg posted:

As Emalde, said, not really. I it is very useful to know that animals that don't grow any crop or provide a product(e.g. milk, eggs) are the ones that gather your crops. I didn't realize this until I'd almost completed the game, and it cost me a lot of (real) time.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So I'm playing RF3 and I went into my house and...

Why is Pia in my house? She didn't wait till I was at home or anything. She's just... Here.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Folks got no respect for personal privacy.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's only fair considering that you burst into people's houses randomly all the time.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Zettace posted:

It's only fair considering that you burst into people's houses randomly all the time.

I liked the mechanic in Frontier where you had to knock on the door to visit people in the evening. Makes it so your character isn't some jerk that busts in on other people in the middle of the night. :shobon:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Corrupt Tylde posted:

Why is Pia in my house? She didn't wait till I was at home or anything. She's just... Here.

Aww, she likes you! :3:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Corrupt Tylde posted:

Everyone that has a good relationship with you does that occasionally. I have no idea why.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

U.T. Raptor posted:

Everyone that has a good relationship with you does that occasionally. I have no idea why.

For the same reason that they occasionally come home to find you standing in their living room. They want to talk to you and they don't feel like chasing your rear end all over the map.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Hey there, I have such a sad situation- my Harvest Moon DS just had both save files corrupted so I'm sad. I am now looking for one to play for the DS that is fun and won't crash.

I loved A Wonderful Life and how things actually changed over time, and my favorite of all time was probably Friends of Mineral Town. I'm not sure what one to buy next, or if I should just exchange my glitchy loading freeze game cartridge for a better one?

Any suggestions?

Huh...what you say
Jun 7, 2011

1-800-Hows-My-Incoherent-Rambling
I'm ending summer, year 1 in Rune Factory 3, and I already built up my barn to accommodate the max number of monsters. What I'm not sure is why I'd like to keep the non-producing monsters, or even some of the producing monsters (ant and insect skins don't really seem that valuable). I think I almost got every single guy in the spring dungeon (name escapes me--Primevera?) and as far as I can tell, orcs are useless. Any advice on what to go for/keep, or any must-have monsters? I really want to avoid spoiling it by checking out a FAQ.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Monsters that don't produce anything can help with fieldwork.

Huh...what you say
Jun 7, 2011

1-800-Hows-My-Incoherent-Rambling
I noticed that, but then they get tired and then you have to either let them rest or feed them a bunch of food, which seems to negate the benefit of them doing field work.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My barn in Rune Factory 3 is:

Four chickens
Four sheep
Four rideable creatures
Four cows
Four bees

What I do is I rotate all of the animals for farm duty every 2-3 days. They will still produce items even if they're working in the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's really easy to cook up some potions in your house for the animals. My elephant squad has been the picture of ideal workmanship, charged with healroids as it is.

Speaking of Rune Factory, Raepdog, have you considered any of them?

• Locked thread