Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So is there anything anyone's looking forward to in RF Oceans?

I just think it's going to be an interesting change of scenery, and it doesn't help that it looks like they've made a much better flowing combat system.

I'll preorder the hell out of the PS3 version once they formally announce it. Until then, it's RF Frontier for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dana Crysalis posted:

I am incredibly interested in this information as well, as this is looking like a day one purchase for me. I'm thinking about playing more RF3 while I wait the incredibly long week and a half.

Related: Because of my TV situation (I don't have one) I will be playing Tides on my computer via Wii hooked up to capture box. Since it's hooked up ANYWAY, would people be interested in watching a stream of it?

You know what, I would. I don't have the money to get it on release, but I will soon after, and watching you might help convince me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

yellowcar posted:

Well the original date was near the end of September anyway. Delaying another week ain't gonna kill me (unlike waiting for Disgaea 4 to ship).

I think you misunderstood. Amazon now says October 31st. That's another 4 weeks.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

If Tides of Destiny is pushed back to end of October, that puts it dangerously close with so many other releases: Skyrim, Uncharted, Saint's Row 3 and I could go on.

I might end up buying a copy (before it goes OoP) and not even touch it until next year.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Is it just me or did amazon remove the us version of tides of destiny from the site?

That is so incredibly bizarre. I still have my preorder open too.

Maybe the localization isn't going as fast as they thought it would be and they're scrambling to reschedule.

Odd that Amazon would remove the listing entirely.

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058VI2LA

That's the url it gives me when I try to click on the product name from my preorder.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'll make this pretty simple. I loved Harvest Moon 64, Rune Factory 2 and would have gotten into RF3 if I didn't have other things on my schedule. I also own and played through most of Rune Factory Frontier.

Would I love Rune Factory Oceans? (gently caress tides of destiny, I think a simple name like oceans is much better)

Is there anything I should be aware of that I'd be annoyed at?

(and I see it's already easy cash just to warm up milk and sell for profit)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'll wait till Rune Factory Oceans hits like 30 bucks or something (getting it off another goon or amazon deal or something)

Doesn't seem like it's become a perfect harvest moon game, and there's a few annoying issues (like recipes and can't marry).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I have to admit, I think ToD is sort of the most removed from Harvest Moon out of all the HM games and the spinoffs. ToD seems to be sort of a spinoff on the Rune Factory games which in themselves are a spinoff of Harvest Moon.

I mean, I like ToD enough that I'll probably finish the story mode, but geez if you're expecting anything similar to the N64/SNES Harvest Moon games, this game sort of disappoints.

I need to pick up RF3. I'm thinking the launch for RF4 is a while off that I can pick up RF3 and play the hell out of it for long enough to wait for RF4 to drop down in price?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

LLSix posted:

The katanas are some of the easiest weapons to use in the game so you're doing fine there. Every month there's a "quest" to buy a really powerful weapon, so you might try switching to that. If you spend some time collecting runeys for your fields before trying the Fire Shrine again it will probably be a lot easier.

Forging is very tedious, I think I watched the daily show or something while grinding it out in an in-game day or two since food for stamina is virtually free.

Tides of Destiny talk

I've only had one of these quests and I'm in Fall and stuck on the fire shrine (takes too much damage from the boss). Right now, I'm using the dual blades: Sparklers.

Do I just need to level up, or is there something better I can get? In fact, I might be doing something wrong, give me general advice.

Also, do all the requests you can, I find that some do give you pretty decent rewards, at least any that aren't 'go beat 5 of these monsters'

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 21, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

LLSix posted:

Dual blades have low damage per hit which makes them a poor choice for boss fights. They do hit everything around, which makes them great if you're getting mobbed by big groups. Weapon power (or whatever it is called) is deceptive in this sense, as two weapons with the same power can do radically different damage per hit. You have to take them out to the field and try them out until you start to get a feel for it. I usually used the wind magic rod for bosses because it made it easier to run away from the enemies attacks. It is especially important to level magic attacks since they use so much RP. If you're looking for a quick fix, I'd buy Stinger Rage from Joe next Thursday and try that.

Seconding doing all the quests whenever you can, boosting the villagers affection is a major element of the game and one I ended up needing to grind out. n.b. you want their affection at 6, but you won't be able to raise it higher than that until you pass a certain point in the story. I kept up well with giving gifts to Sierra though; so maybe that's why you haven't gotten the other "buy this item"
requests from her?

Literally the next day.... I got a new request from her (after dying to the boss 5 times) Edit: It's a longsword though. I'll try it out and see if I can do it with this. We need some harvest moon irc chat or something, I have a hard time tracking down some items for requests like fishing for tuna.

I didn't know you could take a partner to a boss fight. I guess I'm still sort of in the area of 'having to do everything by yourself' from the older harvest moons. I've never played any of the DS Rune Factory games and only played RF: Frontier for about 5 hours, enough to kill the first dungeon's boss.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 22, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Finally made it through the water temple.... and now the boss is a dick.

I love this game, but I think there's too much disparity between being able to complete the temple, and actually killing the boss.

(I still think a kickboxing gator is rad as hell though)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bo Steed posted:

Yeah, the dungeons are weak. The bosses.... not so much. But iirc, the gator is hundreds of times easier than the crab.

beast weapon I've got is a +99 dmg axe. Can't seem to get any better unless I somehow find Platinum and make a katana that's over +100.

Guess I'll level up a bit, go goof off with cooking and fishing and come back a little later.

Please tell me it's not this bad in Rune Factory 3 (and maybe 4) I want to think this is a problem that plagues Tides of Destiny really.

oh, someone spoil it for me. When can I really start romancing the women? I've got Mitoko, Violet and Lily at 6.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Out of the gamecube harvest moons, which one is the best to play?

• Locked thread