Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

I hadn't realised Sunshine Islands had fixed the controls. I tried Island of Happiness way back when and liked the introduction, but actually doing anything in game was so incredibly painful I dropped it almost immediately.

Probably a stupid question, but I assume I won't be missing out on anything playing Sunshine without Happiness?
Sunshine Islands is basically an updated version of Island of Happiness but there is not direct connection between the two games other than the reused characters.
I don't even think any references are made to Island of Happiness in Sunshine Island either.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

PoisonedV posted:

Also, RE: A Wonderful Life, yeah, that has to be one of the worst HM games. I think it was my first experience with the series, and it was both good and bad. First of all, the game is actually kind of wonderful when you start playing it. But it is very storyline focused, and forces an ending on you within like a year or two. And it has no marriages / courting (although it kinda has storylines to make up for that.) It's horrible because you get a really decent HM game and then it turns out to be one big cocktease. And that is why I will forever hate it.
What your are talking about is Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland on the PS2 and it's the only game like that. A Wondeful Life is a different game.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I believe animals can also die of old age.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Since nobody answered me from last page...
If you're fine with a Gamecube game then Magical Melody is pretty good. The game borrows mechanics and the art style (sort of) from Animal Crossing, so it would probably be the easiest Harvest Moon game to transition to from Animal Crossing. There is a Wii port of the game but I heard it was pretty bad.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

Does RF3 have that annoying-rear end thing where every gem, ore, and monster drop also has a level, forcing you to carry 3-5 stacks of otherwise identical items?
Food, fish, animal products, crops and potions (Basically anything edible) have levels but monster drops, ores, gems, etc do not.
Weapons and tools also have levels but they don't stack anyways.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Starting some requests will make the day sunny again which will cancel out hurricanes. Also in my experience, hurricanes do much more damage if you go do sleep while one is happening. So try to stay awake until the hurricane passes and hope for the best.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's not like you have a limited number of years. The game allows you to play at any pace so there's no need to try and cram everything in a single day. I for one just do as much as I can before my RP runs out in which I then call it a day. I also dedicate whole days for major things like dungeon crawling so I would only do basic things like watering, harvesting, etc on that day and the rest of the day would be focused on the dungeon.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
At least Rune Factory Oceans looks really fun and the game being released outside of the Wii is definitively a plus.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I believe Sakuya sells them. Also the travelling merchant in the inn might sell them too.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
While you need to do do that event to marry Pia (As with all of the final events for the respective girl); the events themselves don't lock you into an marriage. You do all of those events without any negative effects to your relations.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You have to be a higher level than the monster you're trying to tame. Other than that, it's just giving them items until they like you. Fodder is a good one since it's easy to get and all tamable animals seem to like it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
There was a discussion of those games a page or so back in this thread.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Serenity Dove posted:

I'm picking up RF3 completely blind so is there anything I should know before diving in?
One thing that's useful to know is that, a bag of seeds will only plant one plant but you can quickly plant a 9x9 field by equipping a stack of 9 seeds and then holding down the b button.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Which game are you talking about?
If you're playing Tale of Two Towns then you go to the menu and drag a food item on to your character to eat. In fact, it's the default option when you move your cursor to the right side of the screen which has caused me to lose a lot of my dishes for the cooking festival because I accidentally ate it instead of putting it in my hands.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If you plant flower seeds (or any crop, but flowers are the cheapest) that are out of season, they'll turn in to dead crops the next day. You can then hoe these dead crops into the soil to improve the soil quality. Using this method, you can raise the soil quality to excellent within a few days.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Until you grow something on it. Growing crops on soil are the only way to deplete soil quality. To raise soil quality you can leave the soil fallow, use fertilizer, or hoe in weeds and dead crops. However, letting the soil fallow will only raise it up to a max of normal, I believe.

What I usually do is grow in a field rotation method where I start by planting crops on the right field. After I harvest the crops, I plant out-of-season flowers over the used soil and then I start growing on the left field. By doing this, you can keep the soil quality at excellent at all times.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 4, 2011

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
-Seeds can be planted in 9x9 grid if you hold down the button with a stack of 9 seeds equipped.
-You start off with teleport spell that lets you teleport back to your house or out of dungeons, it's very useful.
-Doing requests are a great way to get rare materials or better gear early in the game.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's only fair considering that you burst into people's houses randomly all the time.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Monsters that don't produce anything can help with fieldwork.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
While not actually a Harvest Moon game, Rune Factory 3 is what I'll recommend. The game has a nice mix of combat and farming plus it's well polished and streamlined. The game also has quite a bit of unique dialogue compared to most Harvest Moon games which is good if you're interested in the socialization aspect of Harvest Moon games. Most importantly, the game was fast paced in that movement was fast and the gameplay was streamlined to make things take less time and effort (ie: items stacking when picking things up and short animations).

If you're looking for a more traditional Harvest Moon then The Tale of Two Towns is what people seem to like out of all the DS games.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Does Rune Factory Frontier have traditional farming mechanics? I've been playing Rune Factory Tides of Destiny and I've been liking it so far but the farming has been really dumbed down. I'm considering picking up Frontier to play after I finish ToD but I would really like it if it had more harvest moon like farming.

Also, how are the overall mechanics of Frontier vs Tides of Destiny? I would guess ToD is more polished in some aspects but are there any major changes for the better that would make Frontier frustrating to play (ie: going from Rune Factory 3 to Rune Factory 1 or 2)?

Zettace fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 3, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Rune Factory Tides of Destiny stuff under black bars. Spoilers beware!

I finally beat the boss. That battle was JRPG as gently caress, wasn't it? The power of song and prayer!

So, question here is about Mikoto. Was I supposed to think she was a man, or something? Between the look, the voice, and everything, I pretty well assumed it was a lady, but uh, I wonder if the Japanese version hid it more or something?

Mikoto in the Japanese version is also obviously a girl. She's voiced by Kobayashi Yuu who has a deeper voice than most female voice actors but her voice is still obviously one of a woman. I guess the deeper voice was supposed to make it more ambiguous but Kobayashi is pretty well known as a voice actor so it probably had the opposite effect. In fact, by hearing Kobayashi Yuu's voice, I figured out immediately that it was supposed to be a girl.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Romance is overrated :allears:

Did I post that new RF4 trailer yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qPwdJqxSww
I always hate watching the Japanese trailers for Rune Factory. It makes me so sad that the good list of voice actors will be replaced by crappy dubbing. I know it's only a few lines at most but still.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

x239marine posted:

I waited for tale of two towns for the 3DS, but now I've read some reviews I'm not so sure anymore, as it seems to mostly being getting scores in the 6-6.5 range.

The only HM game I have ever really played was FoMT way back on the GBA, and to my mind it was the perfect game.

Also,

I was looking at Animal Parade for the Wii, it seems like it could be great fun, would that be the best route to go in terms of playing HM on a home console?

Tale of Two Towns is a decent harvest moon game but it's not as great as FOMT. If you're dying for a traditional harvest moon game on the portables, Tale of Two Towns is one of the better ones. It's not like Harvest Moon games get high review ratings in the first place anyways.

If you're willing to try something new, Rune Factory 3 will be a better choice. It's in part an action RPG, but farming is still a large part of the game. Overall, the production values are great and there's tons of dialogue if you like the social aspect of Harvest Moon games.

Finally, Animal Parade is the best console Harvest Moon of this generation (which isn't saying much). I enjoyed the game but it doesn't really bring anything new and it's a really slow paced game.

Nettle Soup posted:

The next Rune Factory, will it work if I don't have a 3DS? I like my lite just fine...
Rune Factory 4 is a 3DS exclusive. It won't run on a DS.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Rune Factory games are basically Harvest Moon: 600% More Anime so you should probably stay away from all Rune Factory games since it's obviously not your cup of tea.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Seriously? I don't see why they couldn't just make some cute dolls of a Wooly and like that something-something-Weed Dragon that you're supposed to live with in RF4 and call it a day, but nooooooooo, they have to make like sex pillows and poo poo.
None of those items are pillows. They're all either cards, phone cards, mouse pads, and random household items ranging from cups to file folders. It doesn't excuse the creepy prints but it's at the very least not things like sex pillows.

Spills the Moon posted:

I really wish the Rune Factory games could come up with a non-stupid way to make farming actually worth doing.
I think Rune Factory 3 did this really well. You can gain attributes by farming so farming would actually make you stronger in combat as well.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 8, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You can choose the location of your buildings in Harvest Moon DS and Magical Melody so it's not that new of a feature. It's just that in traditional Harvest Moon fashion, the feature was completely ignored in the games that came after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The 4:44 is a prank/ easter egg in the Japanese version where the game locks up for a few seconds. Natsume somehow screwed up the code so the game locks up permanently instead of only being a few seconds.

• Locked thread