Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I was so excited to see a Harvest Moon thread, but then it's all about DS games and I was sad again. Was Animal Parade really the last HM game released for the Wii? I played that game for years but would prefer to play something new if I can get it on a big screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Got my copy from Gamestop today too. Everyone is really chill about the main character's little problem, but I'm getting a kick out of assuming he's just schizophrenic.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

ZarathustraFollower posted:

God drat, I lost the fishing contest by 2 points. I got 2nd with 678, and joe got 680.

Motherfucker.

Ouch, 2nd place for me was Joe with 591. You got screwed.

Anyone figured out how to get apples? I've got a request for an apple and some other stuff that I don't want to cancel.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What and where is the first animal that can be tamed to gather crops/ores? I've already got the key to the third shine and I haven't found one yet. I'm spending whole days gathering in my crops now and would love to offload all that tedium to a monster so I can go back to making friends and cracking skulls.

Office Thug posted:

The game is pretty brutal though. Monster melees get messy very quickly especially when spell-casters come into play, and I've died pretty often in this current dungeon going from full health to stunlocked to dead in a matter of seconds. I usually didn't avoid fighting things up until this point and I know that's going to hurt me when I come up against the boss, underleveled and underskilled. How have you guys been dealing with this dungeon? Ranged attacks?

I found that level makes a much larger difference than any gear choices. I ground the hell out of the first couple of areas to max out the spring island using only yellow runeys before doing anything else. I haven't had much trouble since except that some of the random islands are much higher level then the first floor of the shrine in that zone.

FWIW, I found the spear to be clumsy and switched to twin swords/katana/wind staff after the first shrine. Katana seems particularly boss, doing more damage per hit than two-handers with 10 more attack than the katana.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Palleon posted:

Does anyone know which crops plant in which seasons? I can't find any simple way of figuring it out, I do enjoy the game, but I really feel like it's a huge step backwards from Rune Factory 3, they took away so much information (no idea what skills do, no way to see what you have in inventory when buying, no camera control). I do like the whole "spirit wand" planting, and the GPS map, but they really messed up in some of the more basic areas.

As far as I can tell, crops aren't keyed to a seasonal island; except for the ores being restricted to winter. I can put the same monsters on both summer and spring islands anyways. The spring crops grow fine on summer. Haven't tried "summer" crops on the spring island though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

My theory is that they are just humoring the crazy person. I named my characters so that their names were mirror images and giggled every time something happened to confirm my schizophrenia theory.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is Shepherd's Crossing 2 worth buying a DS for? If so, does it run on the 3DS? It's been decades since I bought a portable gaming device.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Blorknorg posted:

Now if I could ask a question of the thread: I'll probably start Tides of Destiny sometime soon, and I'm wondering if there's any similar mechanic to the vegetarian pizza quest that I need to keep in mind. I don't want to read through faqs etc until I have to, but doing so is what made me miss out in AP.

As Emalde, said, not really. I it is very useful to know that animals that don't grow any crop or provide a product(e.g. milk, eggs) are the ones that gather your crops. I didn't realize this until I'd almost completed the game, and it cost me a lot of (real) time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Any tips for combat in tides? I stopped playing at the fire shrine beacuse every monster kills me in a few hits while I have to hit them a ton.

The strongest weapon I got is the first wind katana and apparently I need waay more forging levels to make the next one.

The katanas are some of the easiest weapons to use in the game so you're doing fine there. Every month there's a "quest" to buy a really powerful weapon, so you might try switching to that. If you spend some time collecting runeys for your fields before trying the Fire Shrine again it will probably be a lot easier.

Forging is very tedious, I think I watched the daily show or something while grinding it out in an in-game day or two since food for stamina is virtually free.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Tides of Destiny talk

I've only had one of these quests and I'm in Fall and stuck on the fire shrine (takes too much damage from the boss). Right now, I'm using the dual blades: Sparklers.

Do I just need to level up, or is there something better I can get? In fact, I might be doing something wrong, give me general advice.

Dual blades have low damage per hit which makes them a poor choice for boss fights. They do hit everything around, which makes them great if you're getting mobbed by big groups. Weapon power (or whatever it is called) is deceptive in this sense, as two weapons with the same power can do radically different damage per hit. You have to take them out to the field and try them out until you start to get a feel for it. I usually used the wind magic rod for bosses because it made it easier to run away from the enemies attacks. It is especially important to level magic attacks since they use so much RP. If you're looking for a quick fix, I'd buy Stinger Rage from Joe next Thursday and try that.

Seconding doing all the quests whenever you can, boosting the villagers affection is a major element of the game and one I ended up needing to grind out. n.b. you want their affection at 6, but you won't be able to raise it higher than that until you pass a certain point in the story. I kept up well with giving gifts to Sierra though; so maybe that's why you haven't gotten the other "buy this item"
requests from her?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

I've been playing Rune Factory Frontier on and off for ages and holy crap this game is long. I've been playing around 38 hours and I'm still in Autumn of the first year, only beat the Green Ruins, and don't have anybody with a higher FP then four.

I've been playing Animal Parade for at least that long and I'm only in the 11th or 12th of Summer. Mostly because boiling herbs for gifts takes forever :suicide: I have got to find a better set of gifts for these people.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Zettace posted:

Finally, Animal Parade is the best console Harvest Moon of this generation (which isn't saying much). I enjoyed the game but it doesn't really bring anything new and it's a really slow paced game.

Animal parade does have a lot of improvements over Tree of Tranquility, but it's refining system is an incredible pain in the rear end. In order to get bars to upgrade your tools, you have to refine the ores. And the percent chance of refining from ores to bars is pretty low. Low enough that it is always more profitable to just ship the ores if you are mining for profit and I've never done more than break even on wonderfuls/gems. I enjoyed Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny much more, even though it's a lot shorter.

LeapFrog posted:

A Wonderful Life
Magical Melody
Back to Nature - I'll probably finish this one eventually.

I really enjoyed Magical Melody on all my playthroughs. It's got a sort of light achievements system that encouraged me to try out things I don't normally do, and I don't even like achievements. So if you like achievements, you'll probably like it, and even if you don't, its worth a try. I played it so much I never got around to trying the others :blush:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

ZanderZ posted:

Is it cute farm tales story or "A wizard cast a spell on me and now I'm a wood nymph in love with you! Tralala!" autism pandering story? All I have is a DS and I don't think I'm gonna get a 3DS. I got into this game because it was a relaxing farming game. I don't want weapons or magical wizard hats with +10int. I want a hoe, shovel, watering can, etc.

I might just have to buy FoMT on Amazon.

Have you looked at Shepard's Crossing?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Several characters in RF4, like Kiel, say they like sweets. Any suggestions on what to give them? I'm saving up for a steamer to make Flan which only takes egg and milk, but I haven't had a chance to test it and it could be awhile before my cooking skill is high enough and I have enough stone.

TurnipFritter posted:

Sure thing, I can get you both. My friendcode is 3840-5346-7936. I'm pretty much done with the game so I don't need anything in return.
Edit: Wait, I forgot you can do this without friend codes. My farmer is Hunter and my farm is Kudzu.
It's awesome to see people still helping out on multiplayer and you are an awesome person for doing so. I may just get ANB when I finish RF4 after all.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

dmboogie posted:

Oh, neat, a Harvest Moon thread. I've been a fan for quite a while, having grown up with Friends of Mineral Town. I've been playing A New Beginning a lot recently, the pitiful lack of varying dialogue is almost made up for by the satisfaction from being able to build up the town by myself. Yuri is also the best marriage candidate around.

I've got a question, too: How does RF4 compare to RF3? RF3 has pretty much become my absolute favorite game in the series, does RF4 have the same (or greater) amount/quality of dialogue? One of my favorite things about RF3 was that you actually had a short conversation with each villager on most days, and it took forever to see any repeats. Is it mostly the same in 4?

There's a fair bit of repeat dialogue, but every other day has new dialogue on average. And there's unique dialogues leading up to and after every dungeon so as long as you keep the story moving so as long as you keep the story moving you can see mostly new dialogue most of the time. I haven't played RF3, but from the LP the characters seem slightly less insane, but still very anime and crazy.

The game play is very fast and smooth compared to the Harvest Moon games on the wii.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

Didn't RF3 have that nice "hold L (or R or whatever it was) to sidestep in a grid while working fields" thing? Am I missing something or is that gone for RF4. Watering is hard now. :saddowns:

Yeah, it is. I think you can hold down B and walk though. Maybe? It's been awhile since I watered my fields. On the upside, you'll be able to have monsters water all your fields before the end of the first month.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What are some good ways to make money in RF4? I'm at the end of spring and still broke. Every time I manage to make a few 1000 monies a new seed type or something unlocks and I end up broke again. On the upside, I've got all the crops except for the newest ones at max lvl for my scythe.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Like Dragongem mentioned, early on sell minerals and gems and use that to build your seed fund. If you're down for some :spergin:, choose your crops based on their profit yield relative to the time it takes for you to grow them. Note that some of the values for crop sale price are inflated because I've leveled them up in my game, but you get the general idea. Some crops are also undervalued in this spreadsheet because they can be harvested more than once per planting and I was too lazy to make another column to adjust for that.

That is awesome. Thank you! I usually use something like that for HM and was disappointed I couldn't find one for RF4. Very helpful.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

In RF4 can you use the sickle on a giant crop to get a seed bag for the giant crop, ship the seed, and then be able to buy seed bags for giant crops?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nondevor posted:

A random NPC told me a tip about hammering a dungeon flower for material stone in exchange for destroying it. That was a neat thing to learn, but what got me most was the phrasing.

"If you overdo it, the flower will die. Because you hammered it to death. You're a terrible person."

:haw: XSEED did a good job on the localization.

Wait, we can grow stone? That's awesome!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jakse posted:

Eat food before the fight, bring leveled monsters. If you are on hard, it artificially nukes your stats but your monsters won't be affected.

Does this affect villager stats too? Forte is doing way less damage than my giant chicken.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nondevor posted:

That description was also in RF3. Also the monster production system works a little differently in this version; instead of FP raising both quality and tier, FP now only raises quality. The monster's level has to increase to change the wool from small to medium and large.

I don't know how many levels the monsters need to increase though. I'm guessing they might produce medium wool around 50?

50ish is about right. Mine are 54 and are just starting to produce medium.

Can someone explain how assigning monsters to plant works? I just want them to always plant corn. Is that something I can do?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Inadequately posted:

Is there a minimum level required to tame monsters? Because I cannot tame a single thing in the Sharance Maze. Found a completely tame Buffamoo, brushed it as far as it could go, threw half the items in my inventory at it, it still wouldn't work. The heart completely filled out once or twice, but after a pause

Buffamoos are giant greedy jerks in general. I have an easier time taming hornets and fighting pets than Buffamoos. I don't if it helps at all, but I've started leaving and coming back in to reset the Buffamoo if it isn't tamed after throwing a full stack at it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Silver wolves drop fangs/claws every other day. Chipsqueeks drop their fur, but only the basic kind, higher tier ones don't. Aside from the obvious ones already mentioned what animals produce items is distressingly random.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nondevor posted:

Item effects only overlap if they're from the same category. For example, if you were making a headgear piece only stats from other headgear pieces would inherit. Shoes go into shoes, accessories like necklaces go into other accessories. So no, making a leather vest with a heart pendant would not give you skill gains. I suggest making a pendant with two other pendants and a handknit scarf; up to 3 items can be inherited (the first item gives the stats) with the resulting fusion giving its ability.

Barrett the NPC is useful for examining this stuff.

If you only want the abilities and don't want to override the stats, is there a way to still give abilities from 2 accessories without "wasting" the third crafting slot? If not, being able to pick your favorite graphic is still pretty boss.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Does anyone use long swords? They seem like inferior axes since they're basically slow weapons that don't do as much damage.

I'm using a long sword right now because it has ridiculous range. Add in a couple of raccoon feathers to increase the range even more and I can hit everything on the same side of the screen usually.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Meldonox posted:

I haven't paid my farm much attention at all. I have a barn with four monsters, and I have pretty much the entire field planted all the time, but I haven't looked into expansion. Is there a priority to various farm improvements?

tldr: Maximally gold efficient is probably getting 2 barns, each with 2 rooms on your first field. Then get a second field and do the same thing. If you really like farming, get the second field first and plant all corn all day every day. Afterwards add fields to taste and a single, 2 room barn in each.

I expanded up to having 6 barn rooms as fast as I could to support cooking daily gifts for everyone in town. I make 6-7 flan a day, so that's 2 rooms of cows (buffamoos) and 2 rooms of chickens right there. After that, the only time I created new barn rooms was to house tamed monsters to tend to new expansion fields.

My experience has been that more than 2 fields are as much hassle as anything. I've got two spare fields that I leave entirely in the hands of tamed monsters and only stop by to hoe occasionally. I have a third field that I leave completely empty to collect withered grass that I check on once a week. Even so it's sometimes more hassle than it's worth. They monster tended fields are decent money spinners, but not really any better than just putting in a few crops of all corn. Around year 2, I started leveling up trees and a second field came in handy for that. As an aside, fruit trees are a great way to level up your monster tending skill since you can pick a bunch every day and feed them to your animals.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Does anyone have advice for how best to keep animals fed? Right now I'm buying fodder from Raven and then tediously adding it to the feed bin a stack at a time. It works, but it takes forever. I'm up to 3 stacks of fodder a day so this takes an appreciable amount of time. If I assign an animal to tend a field of grass/fodder will they send it to the feed bin automatically?

Non-food animal production confuses me. I just tamed 2 beetles for their rigid horn production. I tamed them on the same day, and for a (what felt like) a couple of days they both produced a rigid horn every day. Today only one of them produced a horn. Majorly annoying since I'm using those horns to buff up my monster champions for the festival. I've had similar problems with my wolf sometimes not producing his fang.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also, does anyone have a good farming/soil upgrading guide? I don't really understand the mechanics of leveling up my field and using corn and withered hay and all that.

My approach is pretty rough and ready, and there are some much better farmers here on these boards, but this'll get you started.

Every time you harvest a crop, it improves the soil's characteristics. Some crops are better than others for this, but it's not really worth it to focus on improving the soil. It takes forever and growing the crops you want increases it anyways. Some (most?) crops also reduce the health of the field when harvested. Plowing corn or withered grass into any square in the 2x2 block will increase the health statistic. It is very easy (and expensive) to keep the health at maximum (255) by always using one of the squares to grow corn. If you get a magnifying glass you can use that to look at the stats for the entire 2x2 square of soil. Pro tip: upgrade your scythe and hoe with a magnifying glass - it makes it so much easier. Recently, I've started only plowing corn into the soil if the health goes under 150. This is working well so far, and even with full health I always lost most of my field to typhoons anyways.

You also want to keep plenty of fertilizer in your fertilizer bin, because it helps heal fields too, but not in any way you can control or depend on.

The #1 fastest way to level a crop is to pick a 2x2 plot and dump one greenifier on it every day. Doing one chemical a day does not impact the impact the health of the 2x2 plot and after doing this for a season I'm getting level increases from 3-5 at a time. You probably won't be able to afford to do this to more than one square for a long time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

There's a bit of an RP penalty doing them blind, if my efforts in making pineapple juice without the cooking+ bread are a good example. I've got the same cooking level as the recipe itself and it still requires a good 1k+ more than my RP maximum.

I've got the exact same problem of not being able to make pineapple juice. What's a good recipe to grind the last few skill levels (88+) up in cooking? I'm making relax tea when I have leeks\honey available right now, but it's slooooooow going.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

3 & 4 are undeniably better, but I still enjoyed Tides. Tides is shorter than the others, so much shorter that it's shallowness in farming wasn't a problem. Tides probably has the most fun combat of the three. It is also the only game ever I liked all the characters in. 3 & 4 have awesome crazy anime characters, but there's a few in both that I wish would just go away. By the end of Tides, every villager was cool and relatable, even the ones who start out weak our annoying.

If you only get one, get 4.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Take a look at Viva Piņata. It claims to have two player support.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Met posted:

Rune Factory 4 just arrived from Amazon. Any early game tips or is it more fun to just figure it out rather than playing as efficiently as possible from the start?

The first couple of dungeons can be rushed through, even on hard. So don't worry about grinding for them. It's worth doing them early if you can. Other than that the game explains everything pretty well, although the tutorials can lag behind for a bit.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Are there any games like Harvest Moon but multiplayer? I'm looking for a new game to play with my girlfriend and we both love Harvest Moon & Rune Factory. I thought of something like Wurm, but I don't think she'd like a game with strong PvP.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 14, 2014

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Poulpe posted:

Right yeah, I just found it incredibly peculiar that I have to build new ones outright. What are the old ones even good for anymore? Shipping? :confused:

Each tier uses the tool from the previous tier to make. Like a lot of the other games, one you get your silver watering can you don't have a copper watering can in your inventory. You can still make the older versions but there's no real reason to do so.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Has anyone given "Farm for you Life" a try? It's billed as Harvest Moon + Tower Defense on the PC.

For Rune Factory: I just discovered that if you have monsters water a field you've planted grass in, they'll harvest it and put it in the feed bin for you. This saves me literally hours spent putting hundreds of fodder into the feed bin by hand every time Raven has it for sale. It's a really nice feature.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nondevor posted:

My favorite recipe of choice was the Flan that you can make with the steamer. It restores quite a bit of HP and RP as the quality increases, and I think it might have healed some status ailments as well (although I might be misremembering that).

The key point about flan is that it only requires two ingredients: milk and eggs. Pickled turnip is good for the early stages of the game where you're limited by your low RP, but flan was useful throughout most of the game for me.
The key thing about flan is that it is the best gift for six villagers, and makes a good gift for several more. Basically, give everyone Flan all day, e'rry day.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Asciana posted:

Are there specific items that you give monsters to tame them or can I just chuck random things at them? If its specific things, is there a list somewhere?

Mostly random things. Boss monsters require specific items and there's a list here somewhere. I think that taming them works better if you feed them what they make, Like giving milk to cows, could just be me being crazy though. It's pretty luck dependent how many items it takes. 3-4 stacks of green herbs is not unusual. One thing that helps is making sure to give your monsters in the barn a gift every day, it raises the same skill used to tame monsters.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Pyrocat posted:

Is there a better guide than the Rune Factory wiki for RF4?

There's a guide in the OP. There have been a couple other effort posts in the last 37 pages too. I use the RF4 wiki all the time still. It's one of the most comprehensive sources.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

kurona_bright posted:

I've said this before, but I want to marry Bado. Give me my charmingly scruffy tall dwarf anime man. :mad:
The best thing about him is that if you put him in your party, he will not do anything until you get his friendship to like 8 or 9. Too lazy to help, even if you're getting beat to a pulp in front of him.
I believe I've heard other complaints about Illuminata and Lin Fa being unavailable as well.

The bachelors in Story of Seasons is looking pretty nice, though. I'm really interested in that game. Has there been a release date announced yet?

Lin Fa is married, but yes, she's charming. I wouldn't want to marry Illuminata, but it does annoy me that you can't marry her because there's absolutely no reason why you can't. The only thing I can think of is typical harvest moon bullshiit not allowing you to marry actually mature and responsible store owners.

For Bachelors I would think Kiell with his cooking and kindness was a shoo in, but I wasn't impressed by the others. Dylan gets a lot nicer and more interesting as you raise his affection though. He doesn't stay forever shy like Dolce. Not going to lie, I'd be all about Pico if I could romance her without Dolce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

YggiDee posted:

The problem with Kiel is that he looks and acts twelve.
Good point. I have the same problem with Amber. In my head Frey treats her like a little sister, not a date.

• Locked thread